• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 earthking
Member since 2003 • 12506 Posts
Well recently I've been on other sites. And these sites have been through a design change. So one of the features is an arcade section where a user fills certain requirements and they can access the arcade portion of the site. So my idea is a arcade section for GS. Also, there can be emblems (hard to abuse) for the person that has the highest score for a certain game (usually all the arcade games). So those are my "new" ideas. So I want to hear other people's opinions about this idea. This is just an idea, so let's keep the flaming to a minimum....:P.
fifamaniac123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 fifamaniac123
Member since 2005 • 5439 Posts
I like this idea. And have seen lots of websites with Arcades and of course these emblems cant be abused. But i think they should make it you have to be a subscriber to play in the Arcade.
earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 earthking
I like this idea. And have seen lots of websites with Arcades and of course these emblems cant be abused. But i think they should make it you have to be a subscriber to play in the Arcade.fifamaniac123
Well. I suggested this for basics as well...:P....
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts
I would like this, but I don't know how easy it would be for the admins to get the rights to host these games on the site
earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 earthking
Ya. But I really hope this idea comes thru. Has any GS member have their own ideas added to the site?
nobodyshero87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nobodyshero87
Member since 2006 • 22210 Posts
I would like to see an arcade section come to GS...I hope that it would be free or it would be free for the GS subscribers.
dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts
I hate to say it, but generally from experience I don't think something like this would really ever make it onto GameSpot... its a good idea, but I really don't see this making it onto the site anytime soon... I think we'd all agree that we'd much rather have a more stable site than an arcade. I support it, but well, I don't see this getting anywhere. :(
MoodyFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 MoodyFlame
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts
I hate to say it, but generally from experience I don't think something like this would really ever make it onto GameSpot... its a good idea, but I really don't see this making it onto the site anytime soon... I think we'd all agree that we'd much rather have a more stable site than an arcade. I support it, but well, I don't see this getting anywhere. :(dbz345
but i actually dont support it because, this is an information site, so its better that they concentrate on how they should give info out better and how to improve the forums and unions
earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 earthking

[QUOTE="dbz345"]I hate to say it, but generally from experience I don't think something like this would really ever make it onto GameSpot... its a good idea, but I really don't see this making it onto the site anytime soon... I think we'd all agree that we'd much rather have a more stable site than an arcade. I support it, but well, I don't see this getting anywhere. :(MoodyFlame
but i actually dont support it because, this is an information site, so its better that they concentrate on how they should give info out better and how to improve the forums and unions

Good point....BUT (don't you just hate that but?) if this site is so dedicated to "information", how do we get disscusion boards?? Give me an explination of the OT (Off Topic) forum. GS (and every other website) wants poeple to come back.

mjwickstrom1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mjwickstrom1
Member since 2005 • 20454 Posts
Great idea. This would give us something else to do other than posting on the forums and stuff. I like it.
earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 earthking

Great idea. This would give us something else to do other than posting on the forums and stuff. I like it.mjwickstrom1

That's what I'm saying.

earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 earthking
BUMP...I need more supporters...:P.
earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 earthking
BUMP for more supporters....:P.
ghostrc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ghostrc
Member since 2004 • 2604 Posts
Its a good idea but Gamespot isn't miniclip.I just can't see gamespot having a flash version of pinball on thier site
earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 earthking
[QUOTE="ghostrc"]Its a good idea but Gamespot isn't miniclip.I just can't see gamespot having a flash version of pinball on thier site

So weren't the other forums I've been too.
ZeroGravX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ZeroGravX
Member since 2005 • 1296 Posts

I say no to this idea simply because it will fuel my addiction to this website even more and I will never get any work done at home or at work! :P

earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 earthking

I say no to this idea simply because it will fuel my addiction to this website even more and I will never get any work done at home or at work! :P

ZeroGravX
:lol:...It could be a exclusive to subscribers.
tony934

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tony934
Member since 2006 • 302 Posts
:lol:...It could be a exclusive to subscribers.earthking
I support this and plus it would give users more of a reason to become a subscriber.
earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 earthking
[QUOTE="earthking"] :lol:...It could be a exclusive to subscribers.tony934
I support this and plus it would give users more of a reason to become a subscriber.

Exactly....I was going to write it on the orginal post...But I'm too lazy...:P.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _Sam_
I'd love anything that's exclusive ;)
earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 earthking
I'd love anything that's exclusive ;)_Sam_
I wonder why...:wink:...Ya, I would like it too since I'm upgrading as well.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _Sam_
that's great. And we need more features :(
earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 earthking
that's great. And we need more features :(_Sam_
Ya. That's true.
phantomtech85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 phantomtech85
Member since 2004 • 6686 Posts
I support this feature being for paid subscribers only.
earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 earthking
I like the idea, but what do you really mean by Arcade Portion? Is it forums? Game contests?phantomtech85
This is an acrade portion of GS. Like a gaming contest...But it would be open to all the subscriber members...And you can access it anytime and earn an emblem for earning top 10 or something.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
GS should hire people who make Flash games for a living and that would be the arcade. They could also make a section with games made by the Gamespot users and you get an emblem for making a game.

Oh and they could also make some games that everybody can play, and a bunch of games that only paying members can play.

If GS did this, I would totally be on here all day. :)
phantomtech85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 phantomtech85
Member since 2004 • 6686 Posts
[QUOTE="phantomtech85"]I like the idea, but what do you really mean by Arcade Portion? Is it forums? Game contests?earthking
This is an acrade portion of GS. Like a gaming contest...But it would be open to all the subscriber members...And you can access it anytime and earn an emblem for earning top 10 or something.

Oh, I see. Maybe their should be different emblems for specific contests.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 _Sam_
[QUOTE="phantomtech85"]I like the idea, but what do you really mean by Arcade Portion? Is it forums? Game contests?earthking

A lot of people would upgrade if there was an emblem involved ;) :?
earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 earthking
[QUOTE="earthking"][QUOTE="phantomtech85"]I like the idea, but what do you really mean by Arcade Portion? Is it forums? Game contests?phantomtech85

Ya. That is what I said on my first post. And GS could give away the "1st" , 2nd, and 3rd emblems (the give in the tounaments) to the people in those positions in the arcade games.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 _Sam_
[QUOTE="phantomtech85"][QUOTE="earthking"][QUOTE="phantomtech85"]I like the idea, but what do you really mean by Arcade Portion? Is it forums? Game contests?earthking

Ya. That is what I said on my first post. And GS could give away the "1st" , 2nd, and 3rd emblems (the give in the tounaments) to the people in those positions in the arcade games.

couldn't they just make new emblems for an arcade
earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 earthking
[QUOTE="earthking"][QUOTE="phantomtech85"][QUOTE="earthking"][QUOTE="phantomtech85"]I like the idea, but what do you really mean by Arcade Portion? Is it forums? Game contests?_Sam_

couldn't they just make new emblems for an arcade

They could...But it's still going to be a "tournament" so...I thought they could give away those emblems.
ElendilElessar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 ElendilElessar
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts

I'm just giving you a warning, stop bumping because that kinda violated the TOS.. so please don't bump that much, just once...

I don't really like this idea because i seen this in unoffical forums(fanboy websites), posting games like space wars or something.... gs is only video-content, features and reviewing, and what you are implying before, those are forums(OT and general games), which served no purpose of this.. i don't see how this is going to work, with the flash.. if they posted like fighting games or any genre, that will be probably illegal or will be bad on a pc, and how can you create a game, are you saying, that they can create games in that section or create a match?...you better of, playing online on a console(360,PS3, etc) with other gs users or members.. arcade games is this site, will be kinda weird... and it really should be exculsive for subscribers.. sometimes it will take more space(bytes) and more traffic (users flooded that section) because of this arcade section, thus slowing it down, causing some techincal issues, lagging, if there is a game that has some good graphics, it will crashed, of how much the traffic are.

I thought you were talking about arcade games for game sections gamespace... so I'm not sure it will work and i kinda hate a arcade game section for this site because this site is only for video-related content,features and reviews.. if this will work, i might time some of this back..

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DeeJayInphinity

I'm just giving you a warning, stop bumping because that kinda violated the TOS.. so please don't bump that much, just once...

I don't really like this idea because i seen this in unoffical forums(fanboy websites), posting games like space wars or something.... gs is only video-content, features and reviewing, and what you are implying before, those are forums(OT and general games), which served no purpose of this.. i don't see how this is going to work, with the flash.. if they posted like fighting games or any genre, that will be probably illegal or will be bad on a pc, and how can you create a game, are you saying, that they can create games in that section or create a match?...you better of, playing online on a console(360,PS3, etc) with other gs users or members.. arcade games is this site, will be kinda weird... and it really should be exculsive for subscribers.. sometimes it will take more space(bytes) and more traffic (users flooded that section) because of this arcade section, thus slowing it down, causing some techincal issues, lagging, if there is a game that has some good graphics, it will crashed, of how much the traffic are.

I thought you were talking about arcade games for game sections gamespace... so I'm not sure it will work and i kinda hate a arcade game section for this site because this site is only for video-related content,features and reviews.. if this will work, i might time some of this back..

ElendilElessar

No, it wont be illegal unless they use characters or songs that have a copyright without permission. When I meant create games, I mean using a program to make Flash games that can be posted on the Arcade section and anyone else can play. It's a good way for people to get into game design. I don't think an Arcade section will be "weird." This is a video game website, therefore, it would make sense if you could play games on this video game website. There are Unions that have absolutely nothing to do with games, such as those Family Guy/South Park/Star Wars unions.
I think an Arcade section would do well on this website, but that's just my opinion. If Gamespot seriously did this, I'd learn how to create Flash games.

Oh and to moderate the games, GS could implement the same system that youtube has. If there's something offensive, the user flags the game as offensive and someone appointed to check that stuff out looks into it and decides if the game should stay up or not. The user that flags a game as offensive is required to type in a detailed description of why they think the game should be taken down, maybe like a 100 or 250 character minimum.

One last thing, Flash games don't take up too much space. They're generally small and GS could prevent flash games from exceeding a certain amount of space. It will certainly take up less space than videos, a 100mb Flash game would be really long and complex.
ElendilElessar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ElendilElessar

No, it wont be illegal unless they use characters or songs that have a copyright without permission. When I meant create games, I mean using a program to make Flash games that can be posted on the Arcade section and anyone else can play. It's a good way for people to get into game design. I don't think an Arcade section will be "weird." This is a video game website, therefore, it would make sense if you could play games on this video game website. There are Unions that have absolutely nothing to do with games, such as those Family Guy/South Park/Star Wars unions.
I think an Arcade section would do well on this website, but that's just my opinion. If Gamespot seriously did this, I'd learn how to create Flash games.

Oh and to moderate the games, GS could implement the same system that youtube has. If there's something offensive, the user flags the game as offensive and someone appointed to check that stuff out looks into it and decides if the game should stay up or not. The user that flags a game as offensive is required to type in a detailed description of why they think the game should be taken down, maybe like a 100 or 250 character minimum.

One last thing, Flash games don't take up too much space. They're generally small and GS could prevent flash games from exceeding a certain amount of space. It will certainly take up less space than videos, a 100mb Flash game would be really long and complex.

like videos, flashes might contain mature and annoying content...if you said making games, then you should use that microsoft XNA creating tool, not on the site, its kinda weird.. ya i know this is a video game website, but this is only for reviews, previews, guides, features and video-related content like everyone elses..  this site is only for that.. i won't make sense because this site is a editoral site.. not a real video gaming website... you mean not youtube, but the same formula as the user video content in this site.. like videos, it will be alot of spam user-created games, and when someone talented created a excellent game and it will probably soon go on to pages to pages(like user videos) and people won't see that game unless they know that user.. if its offensive, don't use the formula as in youtube, sometimes typing 100 to 250 is kinda hard... so i will say this again, like the user-video, "report abuse" buttom, that will kinda work but its better than youtube's formula... some people will sometimes will want to good storyline thus working it more than the most just like in user videos, people tend to make marathon like 50 mins... like i said before in the previous post, it will cause some traffic, because people want to play games sometimes getting bored with user videos, slowing some game-created flashes.. there will be some maintence with that section.. still i won't know if this will work, is it going to be newgrounds, where you click on the featured user-created game opening a window, and like newgrounds maybe that will be inappriate content, offenisve material and etc...

dghul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dghul
Member since 2006 • 3662 Posts
@ElendilEllessar I would appreciate it if you could seperate those long posts into paragraphs. It makes it very hard to read. Anyways, I think this is a great idea! :D
xrehab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 xrehab
Member since 2006 • 1436 Posts
My friends website (dobouncers.com) has an arcade section where he just put up a bunch of free games from thunderarcade.com. they're realy fun, and scince they're free you can just switch out games. it's all in html code so you just c&p it. It would be just a starter arcade but it's still something :P And btw I'm no subscriber but if you do make it a subscription maybe you could have like a 1 week trial for nonsubs. just a thought :wink:
ElendilElessar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ElendilElessar

@ElendilEllessar I would appreciate it if you could seperate those long posts into paragraphs. It makes it very hard to read. Anyways, I think this is a great idea! :Ddghul

its not that hard to read that but sorry if its hard to read...

personally i think you always agree to everyone's idea, some ideas you agreed upon either doesn't make any sense or won't work in this site... no offense

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DeeJayInphinity
My friends website (dobouncers.com) has an arcade section where he just put up a bunch of free games from thunderarcade.com. they're realy fun, and scince they're free you can just switch out games. it's all in html code so you just c&p it. It would be just a starter arcade but it's still something :P And btw I'm no subscriber but if you do make it a subscription maybe you could have like a 1 week trial for nonsubs. just a thought :wink: xrehab

Instead of a one week trial, some games should be free and others (most of them) should be for subcribers only.

its not that hard to read that but sorry if its hard to read...personally i think you always agree to everyone's idea, some ideas you agreed upon either doesn't make any sense or won't work in this site... no offenseElendilElessar

I honestly don't understand how it's not going to make sense or work in this website. It's a video game website, it makes sense if there were games here. Like I mentioned previously, there are unions that are focused on things other than video games.. It' not going to take up that much bandwidth, if their servers can take a forum and a video section, they will have no problem with an Arcade section. Not only that but it gives users an incentive to upgrade their account. What do we get right now? no Ads, a colored nickname on the forums, a mag or 2, high speed d/ls, and that's pretty much it..
ElendilElessar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ElendilElessar

[QUOTE="xrehab"]My friends website (dobouncers.com) has an arcade section where he just put up a bunch of free games from thunderarcade.com. they're realy fun, and scince they're free you can just switch out games. it's all in html code so you just c&p it. It would be just a starter arcade but it's still something :P And btw I'm no subscriber but if you do make it a subscription maybe you could have like a 1 week trial for nonsubs. just a thought :wink: DeeJayInphinity

Instead of a one week trial, some games should be free and others (most of them) should be for subcribers only.

its not that hard to read that but sorry if its hard to read...personally i think you always agree to everyone's idea, some ideas you agreed upon either doesn't make any sense or won't work in this site... no offenseElendilElessar

I honestly don't understand how it's not going to make sense or work in this website. It's a video game website, it makes sense if there were games here. Like I mentioned previously, there are unions that are focused on things other than video games.. It' not going to take up that much bandwidth, if their servers can take a forum and a video section, they will have no problem with an Arcade section. Not only that but it gives users an incentive to upgrade their account. What do we get right now? no Ads, a colored nickname on the forums, a mag or 2, high speed d/ls, and that's pretty much it..

like i said before, this site is mainly about reviews, previews, guides and video-related content(i know its kinda annoying when i write this up but like the other websites they don't featured this, just reviews and stuff.. these sites are like that not those unoffical sites)...

gamespot is not like newgrounds or something.. so it really doesn't make any sense putting an arcade section.. they primarly focused on reviews and etc.. it doesn't mean that they also included arcades to users to play with.. have you seen offical gaming websites with this..no, just unoffical.. featured with reviews and video-related content...

and there is also more for subscribers; chat, user-created forums, tune into subscriber-only video content , subscriber-only forums, video bandwith increase and get a privalage to use HD and dynamic sound, join in tournments and etc.. just tuned in if your a subscriber and you will get more privalages for this.. in the site

Video Game-related Unions, yes they are focused on gaming but just giving news and chatting users on their forums.. it doesn't serve a purpose in this.. if gamespot say its a gaming website, it doesn't entirely mean that they need to acquire an arcade section, what you meant is for editoral and video-related things...

and people will probably play their own games because whats the purpose of this, a real game you play on a console is even better than when you play a flash game.. it might be useless.. when i play flash games, i feels kinda boring, even if its a good storyline or gameplay.. i just play it for five minutes or so, and play a real game..

earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 earthking

[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"][QUOTE="xrehab"]My friends website (dobouncers.com) has an arcade section where he just put up a bunch of free games from thunderarcade.com. they're realy fun, and scince they're free you can just switch out games. it's all in html code so you just c&p it. It would be just a starter arcade but it's still something :P And btw I'm no subscriber but if you do make it a subscription maybe you could have like a 1 week trial for nonsubs. just a thought :wink: ElendilElessar

like i said before, this site is mainly about reviews, previews, guides and video-related content(i know its kinda annoying when i write this up but like the other websites they don't featured this, just reviews and stuff.. these sites are like that not those unoffical sites)...

gamespot is not like newgrounds or something.. so it really doesn't make any sense putting an arcade section.. they primarly focused on reviews and etc.. it doesn't mean that they also included arcades to users to play with.. have you seen offical gaming websites with this..no, just unoffical.. featured with reviews and video-related content...

and there is also more for subscribers; chat, user-created forums, tune into subscriber-only video content , subscriber-only forums, video bandwith increase and get a privalage to use HD and dynamic sound, join in tournments and etc.. just tuned in if your a subscriber and you will get more privalages for this.. in the site

Video Game-related Unions, yes they are focused on gaming but just giving news and chatting users on their forums.. it doesn't serve a purpose in this.. if gamespot say its a gaming website, it doesn't entirely mean that they need to acquire an arcade section, what you meant is for editoral and video-related things...

and people will probably play their own games because whats the purpose of this, a real game you play on a console is even better than when you play a flash game.. it might be useless.. when i play flash games, i feels kinda boring, even if its a good storyline or gameplay.. i just play it for five minutes or so, and play a real game..

This idea is for suscribers and I do believe of the principle of "getting what you pay for"....And arcade would be cool when the forums are down.
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#43 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
what kind of arcade games would be played? it would be kinda weird to play games on the arcade since some people dnt really have time, but it would be such a bad idea
ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24947 Posts
This idea is good.
Zoracite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zoracite
Member since 2006 • 492 Posts
Good idea, i love arcade games. :P
TamaRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 TamaRock
Member since 2004 • 114 Posts
I love this idea! :)
DouglasBuffone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#47 DouglasBuffone
Member since 2004 • 9421 Posts
i like the idea, but i am not sure that there are enough arcades to make it that important to the reviewers here. also it would be impossible for them to have screen shots, or to maybe even review them because they might not have access
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DeeJayInphinity
i like the idea, but i am not sure that there are enough arcades to make it that important to the reviewers here. also it would be impossible for them to have screen shots, or to maybe even review them because they might not have accessDouglasBuffone

We're talking about an online arcade with Flash games and stuff like that, not real arcade machines. :)
earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 earthking
[QUOTE="DouglasBuffone"]i like the idea, but i am not sure that there are enough arcades to make it that important to the reviewers here. also it would be impossible for them to have screen shots, or to maybe even review them because they might not have accessDeeJayInphinity

We're talking about an online arcade with Flash games and stuff like that, not real arcade machines. :)

Ya. Thank you for clearing it up for me...:P...It's just flash games under a tab labeled "arcades" or something like that.