alt account pervasiveness

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I realize a few users are creating alt accounts to troll from. They seem to pop up and get banned frequently. Though, thankfully the content of their posts aren't as bad as they could potentially be, but it is disruptive. I've a question regarding this.

Do you guys have the ability to check the people's IP addresses from these alt accounts, and cross-check them with the IP addresses of other accounts? I figure whoever keeps creating alt accounts must have a legitimate account they keep and use around here, which would obviously be the account with longer standing and more posts and is current.

I think mods/staff if discovering the true identity of the alt accounts must contact those legit accounts where the IP addresses match and warn them to stop creating alt accounts or risk having their main account banned.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

wouldn't banning their main account just encourage them to create more als ?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Pretty sure they can both see the accounts from an IP and ban the IP

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

This has been a problem for awhile. I'm actually starting to get tired of it. There is not much we can do about it right now.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@thehig1 said:

wouldn't banning their main account just encourage them to create more als ?

It's very hard to figure out who the main is.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@super600: I can imagine, and I don't think banning their main account would work anyway, would just encourage even more alts.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

this is a serious problem

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#9 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@lamprey263: Yes we have the ability to check IPs. We also have the ability to ban them from accessing the site. The problem however is switching one's IP isn't exactly a tricky task and a troll who is so inclined to do so will burn through dozens of them. We have put in various barriers for new users to help cut down on spam in the forums:

• New users are now unable to create more than 1 forum topic per 24 hour window until they've created 5
  • The IP banning tool should be available starting Thursday. I'll send over a confirmation when it's out.

We've also recently rolled out an update that helps to prevent wall abuse:

• User accounts that are less than 3 months old will no longer be able to post more than once consecutively on someone else's wall
  • User accounts that are less than 3 months old will no longer be able to make more than two total wall posts or status updates in a 24 hour period

If you notice that spam is still a problem, we encourage users to reach out to the moderator team.