Allow only GS-hosted avatars, banners

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the larger avatars... in fact, they annoy the heck out of me. Since my previous suggestion to allow users to turn off avatars in their preferences didn't get much attention, I've been left to try to do it myself with Adblock. Having to block each user's imageshack or photobucket account is especially annoying, and there's no way to ever stay on top of all the user out there changing their avatars constantly.

Since Gamespot now has a space for each user to host their own pictures, I'd like to see only GS-hosted pictures allowed as avatars, banners, and profile pictures. That way a simple filter or two should allow me turn off the avatars completely via one or two simple Adblock filters. There would also be the benefit of not having to load content from outside resources, which may be slower to load than GS-hosted resources.
Agreb91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 Agreb91
Member since 2005 • 7169 Posts
No bad idea. I like the idea of me having me images hosted them where I want them, not being forced to have them somewhere.
Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shifty_Pete
No bad idea. I like the idea of me having me images hosted them where I want them, not being forced to have them somewhere.Agreb91
I'm not saying ALL images, just the ones connected to the GS profile. Your GS avatar and banner picture hosted on GS servers is what I'm suggeting. You can still post pictures from anywhere, but your GS profile resources should be on a GS server. Copying two images to your GS image gallery isn't a tremendous hardship... having to Adblock every 3rd avatar individually IS.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#4 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
i would really much rather not...i see no reason to implement limits such as that...especially seen as it'll just use up even more of GSs bandwidth in the end (due to every user having to use GSs bandwidth rather than their own photobucket/imageshack/etc. bandwidth)....and besides, if you dnt want to see non GS hosted avatars here's an option in prefs for it already...under images...there's also the option to not view avatars at all...and banners dnt really slow things down that much unless they're paricularly large files...in which case putting them on the GS server and then using them really won't make any difference...
Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shifty_Pete

i would really much rather not...i see no reason to implement limits such as that...especially seen as it'll just use up even more of GSs bandwidth in the end (due to every user having to use GSs bandwidth rather than their own photobucket/imageshack/etc. bandwidth)....and besides, if you dnt want to see non GS hosted avatars here's an option in prefs for it already...under images...there's also the option to not view avatars at all...and banners dnt really slow things down that much unless they're paricularly large files...in which case putting them on the GS server and then using them really won't make any difference...robbristow
I see options only to allow GS-hosted or no images, but not options specifically for avatars. If I turn off all non GS-hosted images or all images, then I can't see screenshots, etc. How is it so limiting to have to upload the two pictures you'll be using on this site from now on? It'll take a few seconds, as opposed to the never-ending task of trying to block all the stupid flashing, blinking avatars cramming these forums. GS would also have more direct control over its site this way. GS has offered us the Image Gallery, so I think they've made provisions for the extra server space and bandwith that will bring. There is no way of telling how each outside resource slows down page loads, as there can be anywhere from 0-50 (I have my prefs set to 50 posts per page) images getting pulled from up to 50 different sites, some of which may be slow.

I honestly don't see how anyone can be opposed to this if they get what I'm suggesting (again, not ALL images). It would only take an extra second to hit "upload" after pasting in the URL to the image you want to use, so 2 seconds out of your life to remove a massive annoyance for others. Of course, better still would be GameSpot allowing just useless images like avatars to be blocked in prefs without taking content pictures along with them, but if they won't do that, I'm stuck trying to figure out a way to make Adblock work for me.

OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
That would be too much of a pain in my opinion. Your other suggestion sounds much more feasable.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#7 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
...i think having the option to block out things like avatars is the best idea...otherwise you're asking millions of ppl to change the hosting of their icons to help a few tens of thousands have pages load a tiny bit faster (+isn't there more than one GS image hosting site?)...and as some avatars are file types that the GS image hosting does not currently support...so it would be rather much more than just a matter of rehosting as well...not to mention that many actually use avatars directly from other sites rather than hosting them themselves... generally there's no chance of me supporting such limitations, however simply having the option for certain users to be able to prevent avatars from appearing is certainly something i will support, as it makes things much easier for those on dial up or otherwise slow connection that find page loading times slow...
Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shifty_Pete

I agree that the best solution would be an option to disable avatars, but that idea didn't get very far when I suggested it. Anyone who doesn't like this idea could show support for the toggle option in the thread I liked in the original post, hint hint. If we get enough people showing interest, it might stand out from the hundred billion other things the GS designers have on their plates.

I REALLY don't see how GS-hosting would be a hardship, though... you already have to paste the url to the image you want to use into your prefs, so all you'd have to do is take an extra second to upload it. If that's too much hassle, maybe GS could make it automatic... put a URL into the avatar field, and they automatically copy it to the GS servers and use that copy for your avatar.

IIRC, there was a rule like this in place a while ago because of an image exploit, and at that time there was no user image gallerys, but people still got through it.

Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts
GameSpot doing this to make a minority happy? I don't think that's going to happen. I support the option of being able to disable user avatars, though. That would be a much better solution.