Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

Youtubers. Here are some common mistakes which have become ingrained into gaming lexicon but are wrong.

Let me correct you on them.

Addicting:

OK, this has petered out a bit in recent years but whilst it is in the dictionary, I looked up it’s common usage and it is actually tiny, even in the US. Even UK tubers were using this word at times but it (was) used a lot by youtubers talking about games and way over the overall usage and I hate it. I think James Rolf started the trend. It’s a verb and therefore imparts that the game itself is acting on you, rather than you responding to the game which contains the addictive quality. Annoying.

Bullet hell:

This has come into usage because it sounds cool. But a bullet hell would be a world where there are no guns and all the bullets are lying on the floor all depressed and not able to go anywhere. The actual term is ‘bullet hail’ shooter which refers to a hail storm of bullets and makes sense.

Shmup:

This is supposed to be an abbreviation of shoot-em-up, I’m assuming, to save time but really it’s an attempt to sound current and whimsical but it is a word which is horrible to say. It feels all wrong in your mouth as there are two consonants next to each other and is not easy to pronounce. Your mouth has to make three shapes. Sh-m-up. The same amount as shoo-tu-mup.

I will add more as I think of them...

EDIT: On the point of 'addicting', it is apparently an adjective and therefore appropriate to use, I think it's more that I'm English and haven't heard it before.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/addictive-versus-addicting?page=1