Year of Fighters!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

I'm a huge fighting game fan... I don't claim to be the best at them, I just love them... I find they are the most competitive genre in gaming...

This year we have MK vs. DC, Soul Caliber IV, Street Fighter IV, and King of Fighters XII(and the re-releases of the past KOF's)...

I feel this year(2008-2009) fighters are going to take the mantle back from FPS and these Guitar games....

Who's with me?

dragonps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 dragonps
Member since 2007 • 1702 Posts

Absolutely! Everyone keeps saying the beat em up genre is dead, but I say it's simply being resting. Beat em up's will always be popular and this year as gamers we really are spoilt for choice. I'm not to keen on Street Fighter 4 (cos I thinks it's simply a EX Plus Alpha game with nice graphics) but Caliber 4 will blow em all away.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I'm not doubting those games abilities to please fighting game fans but I doubt it will take the mantle from FPS games. FPS games are so much easier to play for most people, with simplistic and easily memorizable controls. Fighting games are more complex and if you want to get good at it, you have to memorize many button combinations for multiple characters which is what I think turns many people away.
Quintinius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Quintinius
Member since 2006 • 1050 Posts
The thing is, it's also the year for RPGs too. So that's FPS, RPGs and fighter games a plenty!
HonestLiar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 HonestLiar
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Ah yes, the year of the fighters. Im looking forward to Soul Caliber IV and the new Street Fighter. Although their are plenty of them, I always felt fighters were better in arcades with quarters and such. But still. I will have fun with SC4.
megamanzero32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 megamanzero32
Member since 2005 • 1234 Posts

Stiff Fighter 4 looks alright(Yes, it still looks stiff...)

Kof XII heheheh, I love KOF, and it is looking great. My friends and I are hoping that they bring KOF 98 Ultimate Match to the 360/Ps3.

Well consoles have their fighters, there is still the PC. They get another Melty Blood :D(Re release I believe....I forgot the detaisl...)

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
I'm bummed there may not be any more Dead or Alive games made by the "real" Team Ninja. Hopefully if they bring in others to fill out the ranks they're up to the task, otherwise DoA4 may be the last of the greatest fighter around.
rodd76dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 rodd76dog
Member since 2003 • 96 Posts
I hope they make more. The only problem is that they are not inventing nothing new so the sales keep them from putting more into them. Look at capcom. They are so stupid to put SFH2 out which is the same stuff but a fixed version. They milk series after series. Look at DBZ they are remaking all the old games over again on the new console for what, just go to the last version you made and remake it not the entire series. Look at SC and VF5 nothing new there but graphics and two or three new players. The Fighting world is the best to me but If you want people to start buying them again you got to stop giving them half butt versions of the game. If you know that you have about 200 character roster in the series why are you only releasing 20. The next time you may release 25 but the same characters are in both. Fighting games are the easiest to make but they continue to under deliever. They are lucky MUGEN isnt online because nothing else would matter anymore.
doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#9 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
yeah those games look great!! nad you forgot about SF II turbo HD Remix cosmic ninja dinosaur ultra powerful, the new guilty gear, a new game developed by the guys from guilty gear ( I havent played any guilty gear but i've heard they are pretty popular), facebreaker is box 1 on 1 so is a fighting game, and yes there are also many RPG coming out, I just hope someone revives the platform games
akai_reaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 akai_reaver
Member since 2004 • 7754 Posts

We need more 2D fighters. -Cough.-

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
SCIV>Everything. I still enjoy the second one over a ton of other games today.
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AtlanticRock

akai_reaver

Quoted for Truth, minus Cough.

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AtlanticRock

Am I the only one who loved Eternal Champions for Sega Genesis???....

Am I the only one who LOVED Destrega for PlayStation one?

akai_reaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 akai_reaver
Member since 2004 • 7754 Posts
[QUOTE="akai_reaver"]

AtlanticRock

Quoted for Truth, minus Cough.

Ah. I only coughed because I thought I was gonna get flamed. xD;

jericoY2J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 jericoY2J
Member since 2006 • 1688 Posts
SC4 is gonna be fu--- awesome!!!! saying this now..mitsurugi is gonna own all!!!
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AtlanticRock
never was into Soul Caliber... I tried to play it against my boy... he's a maniac in that game...
megamanzero32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 megamanzero32
-waits for KOF to come to the 360- Come on SNK....do soooomething!! I'm tired of playing 2002 with stanky visuals on my 360 ._.! At least bring KOF XI -doubt that is going to happen-
jericoY2J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 jericoY2J
Member since 2006 • 1688 Posts

never was into Soul Caliber... I tried to play it against my boy... he's a maniac in that game...AtlanticRock

maniac huh? me too..when he gets the game, i'd like to challenge hem..gamertag: jerico2JY

PacBoy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PacBoy23
Member since 2004 • 9505 Posts
im considereing getting that aracade thing for soul calibur 4 if I play it enough but the premium edition of the game looks weak. But I want that fighting controller
SDOT55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 SDOT55
Member since 2008 • 250 Posts
Yeah there are more good fighting games coming out the next year but I dont think they will take the throne over FPS. Street Fighter will be cool, and maybe MK will(I heard there wont be any blood in this one WTF?) be too, but I was never good at KOF. A game that I wish would come out is Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 or something of that matter. Now that would be a good game, and if Tekken 6 was moved from PS3 to 360, then I'd might be able to agree with you.
pittongkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pittongkid
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts

Absolutely! Everyone keeps saying the beat em up genre is dead, but I say it's simply being resting. Beat em up's will always be popular and this year as gamers we really are spoilt for choice. I'm not to keen on Street Fighter 4 (cos I thinks it's simply a EX Plus Alpha game with nice graphics) but Caliber 4 will blow em all away.

dragonps

Correct me if Im wrong but the "VS" games like Tekken, Street fighter and the ones alike are NOT a part of the 'Beat-'em-up' genre. These are considered under "fighting" or "3D, 2D fighting" genre. Beat-'em-up are of the likes of Double Dragon, Final Fight and that's why everybody said that it's dead.

Ignite2k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ignite2k3
Member since 2004 • 452 Posts
honestly.. i love fighting games too.. but they belong in the arcade. i enjoy playing with people i dont know, winning/losing and then looking at their faces after that.. no xbox live can fulfill that i think
Ignite2k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ignite2k3
Member since 2004 • 452 Posts
honestly.. i love fighting games too.. but they belong in the arcade. i enjoy playing with people i dont know, winning/losing and then looking at their faces after that.. no xbox live can fulfill that i think
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AtlanticRock

jesus, no one likes Eternal Champions, Killer Instinct, or Destrega....

guess i'm the only one...

megamanzero32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 megamanzero32

jesus, no one likes Eternal Champions, Killer Instinct, or Destrega....

guess i'm the only one...

AtlanticRock

Killer Instinct! Come on man! C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!! Oh crap...I haven't said that in years...Wasn't Rare supposed to revive that >_> Those rumors are pissing me off now.

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AtlanticRock
Ullllllllllllllltraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
megamanzero32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 megamanzero32
Hahaha, yeah that brought back some funny memories!
dragonps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dragonps
Maybe Rare will announce KI3's release for xmass....yeah then i wake up lol
Aurey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Aurey
Member since 2004 • 520 Posts

Yeah, and soon after the announce of KI3, the guys from Rare will show a playable version of a new Battletoads game. Dreaming again. All recent Rare games heve been kind of a let down, they better keep KI in the chest of fond memories. I prefer to replay the old games than playing a new and bad sequel. About Eternal Champions and Destrega, well, I never liked those.

There are going to be some fighting game releases, but I don't think that's enough to call this one the year of the fighters. Street fighter IV and Soul Calibur IV are the most prominent ones for me. Others like Battle Fantasia and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix or KOF are also attractive, but let's face it, fighters are not as popular these days as they used to be back in the 90's.

This generation's standard genre is FPS, and don't think I like them, but we should be realistic: fighting games are now a niche specific genre. We'll see sequels of the franchises we know and love (Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, King of fighters and hopefully Dead or Alive), but to give this year the "Fighter Year" title we would need to have a lot of new IP's on the horizon... and, sadly, we won't. :cry:

I really share your enthusiasm about some of the fighting games that will be released this year, though.

dragonps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dragonps

but let's face it, fighters are not as popular these days as they used to be back in the 90's.Aurey

Yeah that's very true. The advent of new technology has kinda left the fighting game genre behind. Just about everyone that I know that has a games console, has a FPS. They seem to be taking over the market completely. In my opinion as long as there are still some hardcore gamers left in the world, then the fighting game genre will never die.

Lets not forget that Soul Caliber, Street Fighter and Dead or alive are all franchises. And a good company would never kill a franchise...unless it became unprofitable lol

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#31 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
it wouls be sick if they use the euphoria engine n a fighter....but let me tell there are some new IP coming and they are fighters (I read it on EGM ) dont ask me for the names because I dont remember them heheh
DrachulaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 DrachulaX
Member since 2007 • 190 Posts
I'm looking forward to Soul Calibur IV, but I'm especially excited for Street Fighter IV and Tekken 6. I'm hoping BlazeBlue: Calamity Trigger finds its way to consoles as well.
PacBoy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PacBoy23
Member since 2004 • 9505 Posts

honestly.. i love fighting games too.. but they belong in the arcade. i enjoy playing with people i dont know, winning/losing and then looking at their faces after that.. no xbox live can fulfill that i thinkIgnite2k3

vision cams or friends you know in real life that have the game and brag to them

megamanzero32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 megamanzero32

I'm looking forward to Soul Calibur IV, but I'm especially excited for Street Fighter IV and Tekken 6. I'm hoping BlazeBlue: Calamity Trigger finds its way to consoles as well.DrachulaX

I forgot all about Blazblue. It is supposed to be a PS3 exclusive(So I've Heard). I hope that was a lie. I mean, I have a PS3, but you know....gotta hear the xbox live trashtalk >_>