Xbox360 - How can I shut this thing up?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts

Nevermind. Problem has been solved. Thanks to the few of you who were actually helpful....

Wedge598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 Wedge598
Member since 2003 • 1263 Posts

If you install you games to the hard disk the DVD drive won't need to sping to play the game and this has quieted mine down considerably. That's you're best bet. I would not touch the fan at all.

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nephilim83

If you install you games to the hard disk the DVD drive won't need to sping to play the game and this has quieted mine down considerably. That's you're best bet. I would not touch the fan at all.

Wedge598
Yeah, I already started installing them, but I don't notice a difference. The fan is so loud I really can't hear my disc drive at all. But thanks.
Paynee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Paynee
Member since 2008 • 851 Posts

You didn't notice a difference after installing a game? LOL. B.S.

mtbrdude87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 mtbrdude87
Member since 2003 • 136 Posts

nah, he's right. The fan is louder than the dvd drive. I noticed no difference either.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#6 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

If you were using a good pair of headphones like myself, you wouldn't give a damn about how noisy it is.

I use Technics RPDJ1200.. check em out, and see what ya think.. Gaming with headphones is a completely different experience.

Leinhartx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Leinhartx
Member since 2008 • 101 Posts

No offense, but looking at your blogs you seem to harbor alot of resentment about the 360. im a fan of both the 360 and ps3 and I am sorry if you are too and I am mistaken. But maybe you should call microsoft? I install my games and mine is virtually noise free. Sorry I can't help

rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#8 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

Installing to the harddrive makes a difference. I think this thread was supposed to go into sony wars...I mean system wars.

FFVIIROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 FFVIIROCKS
Member since 2007 • 1176 Posts

Yeah, installing them does a great deal on noise reduction and then you tend to not notice the sound after awhile, but as soon as I shut it off and get ready to sleep... you then can tell how loud it really was.

It may keep a constent whur sound, but at least its not making horrid noised while its trying to read the discs haha

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nephilim83
Despite what most of you fellas would like to believe my fan is LOUD! I have no interest in system wars. I came here seeking legitimate advise. If I wanted to bad mouth the 360 or microsoft, I promise I wouldn't start with how loud the fan is. Anyway, most of you should know that there are many various versions of 360 components including drives, fans, and even chipsets. Mine may not be exactly like yours. My system utilizes a Benq disc drive and it is considerably quieter than others. I can still hear it, but its a faint wiiiiirrrrr sound compared to the fighter jet taking off behing my Xbox. I play my Xbox regularly and enjoy it, and my views on how scandalous M$ can be has nothing to do with my enjoyment of their system. However, the volume of the fan DOES. So back to the topic: Does anyone know a quieter fan I can install in my 360? Thank you for being considerate and helpful.
Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hotwire246
Member since 2004 • 848 Posts
Eh. If you install games then the disc drive doesn't spin and really it's the disc drive that's making all the noise. The fans really aren't that loud. No louder than a PS2. Dunno about PS3 as I've not got one.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nephilim83
Eh. If you install games then the disc drive doesn't spin and really it's the disc drive that's making all the noise. The fans really aren't that loud. No louder than a PS2. Dunno about PS3 as I've not got one.Hotwire246
No... I've installed many of my games. Its not the disc drive. I know the difference between a fan and a disc drive. I never had any PS2 that sounded like this. Appearantly you guys don't have the same fan I have or you'd understand what I'm talking about.
Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hotwire246
Member since 2004 • 848 Posts
I know the difference between a fan and a disc drive. .Nephilim83
Apparently you don't. There's no way that the fans are louder than the disc drive. It's simply just not possible unless you already have modded fans that are extra loud. So you're saying that when you are on the dashboard, with no disc in the drive, its just as loud as when you are playing a game off the disc? Because the fans don't get louder when you start a game. They probably do get unnoticeably louder when the console gets hotter though.
sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sourcerah
Member since 2003 • 1214 Posts
[QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="Wedge598"]

Yeah, I already started installing them, but I don't notice a difference. The fan is so loud I really can't hear my disc drive at all. But thanks.

you're bsing us... You must be eager for attention or something b/c it's quite impossible not to notice the difference. That is very hard to believe.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nephilim83
[QUOTE="Nephilim83"] I know the difference between a fan and a disc drive. .Hotwire246
Apparently you don't. There's no way that the fans are louder than the disc drive. It's simply just not possible unless you already have modded fans that are extra loud. So you're saying that when you are on the dashboard, with no disc in the drive, its just as loud as when you are playing a game off the disc? Because the fans don't get louder when you start a game. They probably do get unnoticeably louder when the console gets hotter though.

Dear lord just listen... Its the FANS!!! Yes, when there is no disc in the console from the time I turn it on to the time I turn it off it is incredibly loud. As far as the fans already being modded.... You might be on to something there. I need to investigate that possibility further.....
dRuGGeRnaUt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dRuGGeRnaUt
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts
seriously read this guys profile.. Nothing but Microsoft hate speeches, on of them is about 3 pages long.. Something smells like a troll. GO BACK TO PS3 FANBOY BOARDS.. seriously, as soon as i see a "negative" xbox 360 forum, i ALWAYS check the profile.. then you see what their motives really are. seriously man get a life, my xbox is not that loud, no louder than my computers fan when it kicks on. AND ALSO if you ACTUALLY owned and played an xbox you would know you can install games to the hard drive, then it is silent.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nephilim83
[QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="Wedge598"]

sourcerah

you're bsing us... You must be eager for attention or something b/c it's quite impossible not to notice the difference. That is very hard to believe.

Well, believe it, brother! I have no reason to BS you guys! Stop being so defensive and assuming I'm trying to site a console war or something. I have no reason to waste my time with that. This is a real issue. Unless you can help me, please, don't post here.
dRuGGeRnaUt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dRuGGeRnaUt
[QUOTE="Hotwire246"]Eh. If you install games then the disc drive doesn't spin and really it's the disc drive that's making all the noise. The fans really aren't that loud. No louder than a PS2. Dunno about PS3 as I've not got one.Nephilim83
No... I've installed many of my games. Its not the disc drive. I know the difference between a fan and a disc drive. I never had any PS2 that sounded like this. Appearantly you guys don't have the same fan I have or you'd understand what I'm talking about.

seriously then you go an say "I never had a ps2 that sounded like this" SERIOUSLY GET OUT OF THE XBOX FORUMS WITH THIS. Sony fanboy seem to have nothing more to do with their time than go on Xbox forums and start arguments.. are you guys lacking games this badly? honestly man, go play you ps3 you seem to like it better. or do you not have enough games?
sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sourcerah
Member since 2003 • 1214 Posts
[QUOTE="sourcerah"][QUOTE="Nephilim83"] Yeah, I already started installing them, but I don't notice a difference. The fan is so loud I really can't hear my disc drive at all. But thanks.Nephilim83

Well, believe it, brother! I have no reason to BS you guys! Stop being so defensive and assuming I'm trying to site a console war or something. I have no reason to waste my time with that. This is a real issue. Unless you can help me, please, don't post here.

it's hard not to assume that when you say you don't hear a difference after installing games. does that even seem logical? no one will be able to help you on here b/c what you're saying sounds like nonsense or trolling to most of us. Did you even call microsoft??
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DecadesOfGaming

the above posts were very funny.. cheers

dRuGGeRnaUt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dRuGGeRnaUt
[QUOTE="Hotwire246"][QUOTE="Nephilim83"] I know the difference between a fan and a disc drive. .Nephilim83

Dear lord just listen... Its the FANS!!! Yes, when there is no disc in the console from the time I turn it on to the time I turn it off it is incredibly loud. As far as the fans already being modded.... You might be on to something there. I need to investigate that possibility further.....

seriously then your fans are broken or bogged down.. do you or someone else smoke in your house? do you have cats or dogs? sometime smoke resin/animal hair can bind around the fans spindal. so i guess that is your problem, so either send it to Microsoft or take it to a shop and get it checked out/cleaned. Seriously man, you wouldn't have had the backlash about you starting a system war, if you had't constantly phrased your questions/answers that way. seriously: "I NEVER HAD A PS2 BE THIS LOUD!" what does that even have to do with this topic? they are totally different systems.. add in that you have a "I HATE MICROSOFT" profile, and a Gamerpic of "shadows of colossus" REEEKS of Sony fanboy, just saying.
Avatar image for enragedrenegade
enragedrenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 enragedrenegade
Member since 2008 • 101 Posts
My one is also loud but once I start playing I hardly notice the annoyance because of the TV sound.
Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
Despite what most of you fellas would like to believe my fan is LOUD! I have no interest in system wars. I came here seeking legitimate advise. If I wanted to bad mouth the 360 or microsoft, I promise I wouldn't start with how loud the fan is. Anyway, most of you should know that there are many various versions of 360 components including drives, fans, and even chipsets. Mine may not be exactly like yours. My system utilizes a Benq disc drive and it is considerably quieter than others. I can still hear it, but its a faint wiiiiirrrrr sound compared to the fighter jet taking off behing my Xbox. I play my Xbox regularly and enjoy it, and my views on how scandalous M$ can be has nothing to do with my enjoyment of their system. However, the volume of the fan DOES. So back to the topic: Does anyone know a quieter fan I can install in my 360? Thank you for being considerate and helpful.Nephilim83
if you hate ms so much why don't you just sell your xbox instead of complaing the whole time
joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#27 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

i sold my launch console to my friend so i could get a hdmi model, now when i go round i cant believe how similar it sounds to a jet engine, its shockingly loud.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 joesh89

[QUOTE="joesh89"]

i sold my launch console to my friend so i could get a hdmi model, now when i go round i cant believe how similar it sounds to a jet engine, its shockingly loud.

meconate

Wow... this matters why? I don't see the big deal, I hear my TV fine and never even notice the Xbox's "Shockingly loud" fan.

it matters when you play at night, and you cant have the tv turned up over it, its not so much a problem in the day, but even now with the newer model i have, i still have to install games as the noise of the drive annoys the hell out of me at night.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 joesh89

[QUOTE="joesh89"]

[QUOTE="meconate"] Wow... this matters why? I don't see the big deal, I hear my TV fine and never even notice the Xbox's "Shockingly loud" fan.meconate

it matters when you play at night, and you cant have the tv turned up over it, its not so much a problem in the day, but even now with the newer model i have, i still have to install games as the noise of the drive annoys the hell out of me at night.

Meh, I really don't play too much on a night, a few hours maybe, but I have work to do, can't be up all night.

well im an owl, the night is when i come out to play.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 joesh89

[QUOTE="joesh89"]

[QUOTE="meconate"] Meh, I really don't play too much on a night, a few hours maybe, but I have work to do, can't be up all night.meconate

well im an owl, the night is when i come out to play.

How about a vampire? (:

sssshh, dont tell anyone ;)

Aurey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Aurey
Member since 2004 • 520 Posts

Well, I don't think he's trolling. And nope, I don't think there's any way to shut your 360 up.

I like my 360 a lot more than my PS3, and still I have to admit it's too loud. Even if I'm playing HDD installed games the console makes too much noise compared to any other system I've played. Normally it's no big deal, but when playing at night it can be annoying... and I'm used to play at night; unfortunately there's no way to stop the noise, it's just normal.

VinxVince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 VinxVince
Member since 2004 • 219 Posts
My 360 is quieter than my laptop when I install to the hard drive.
xxdeadpeacexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 xxdeadpeacexx
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts

You didn't notice a difference after installing a game? LOL. B.S.

Paynee

get it stright older 360's have this problem. FANS do tend to be louder then the disc spining

KrazyC18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KrazyC18
Member since 2006 • 1535 Posts

If you were using a good pair of headphones like myself, you wouldn't give a damn about how noisy it is.

I use Technics RPDJ1200.. check em out, and see what ya think.. Gaming with headphones is a completely different experience.

DecadesOfGaming
nice, i use the Monster Beats by Dr. Dre :) very sick, you should check em out
Steel-Panther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Steel-Panther
Member since 2009 • 484 Posts

Hey, guys, my 360 is SO LOUD!!! I like to play at night while everyone is asleep and I can't really turn the TV up loud enough to drown out that god-awful noise. I just can't take that horrible sound any longer, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a good, reliable mod fan that will still do a good job to cool my 360 but quiet it considerably. Every one I've found so far says its the quietest and then I watch YouTube reviews on them and they are revealed to actually be LOUDER in most cases. I was just hoping for some personal experiences and perspectives. Thanks.

Nephilim83
Just out of curiosity, how long have you had your 360?
celebate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 celebate
Member since 2005 • 341 Posts

DecadesOfGaming

Umm , what does using headphones have to do with making the fan quieter ??

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

[QUOTE="sourcerah"][QUOTE="Nephilim83"] Yeah, I already started installing them, but I don't notice a difference. The fan is so loud I really can't hear my disc drive at all. But thanks.Nephilim83

Dude, no one can help you. We all installed games to our harddrives and the system runs quieter. If yours doesn't run quieter after installing the games to your harddrive and you aren't getting answers from here, use google.

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nephilim83
Okay, guys, I found out why my situation is so considerably different than most of yours. Someone mentioned earlier that my fans may have already been modded. My unit is a referb, so this is quite possible. So I emailed the company I ordered my 360 from and asked if there was a reason my fans were so loud and nobody else seems to be having this problem. Sure enough, he says they "upgrade" all the 360s they sell with a more powerful fan to protect the unit from the RROD. He says most of the problems they have with the units they get are caused by excessive heat. He said "turn the TV up and enjoy." Gee, thanks. So, anyway, I think I'm just gonna go with another person's advice from this thread and get some nice headphones for my midnight gaming. I'm sorry I come across as a PS3 fanboy, and I'm sorry so many of you thought I was BSing you. I'm going to record the noise this thing makes and post it on youtube.com just so people can hear it. I'm removing the Microsoft hate blogs from my profile. I am an Xbox gamer just like the rest of you and want to be excepted as a part of both 360 and PS3 forum communities. So, as to not cause a fuss with you 360 devotees I will remove it. Thanks to all those who actually did believe me and try to help. The rest of you should really find something better to fuss about. Its just a video game console, people. PEACE -Neph
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nephilim83
[QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="Hotwire246"] Apparently you don't. There's no way that the fans are louder than the disc drive. It's simply just not possible unless you already have modded fans that are extra loud. So you're saying that when you are on the dashboard, with no disc in the drive, its just as loud as when you are playing a game off the disc? Because the fans don't get louder when you start a game. They probably do get unnoticeably louder when the console gets hotter though.dRuGGeRnaUt

seriously then your fans are broken or bogged down.. do you or someone else smoke in your house? do you have cats or dogs? sometime smoke resin/animal hair can bind around the fans spindal. so i guess that is your problem, so either send it to Microsoft or take it to a shop and get it checked out/cleaned. Seriously man, you wouldn't have had the backlash about you starting a system war, if you had't constantly phrased your questions/answers that way. seriously: "I NEVER HAD A PS2 BE THIS LOUD!" what does that even have to do with this topic? they are totally different systems.. add in that you have a "I HATE MICROSOFT" profile, and a Gamerpic of "shadows of colossus" REEEKS of Sony fanboy, just saying.

Actually I made that comment about the PS2 because the guy I was responding to said he had a 360 and a PS2 and his PS2 is much louder. He was insinuating that I was comparing my 360 to a Sony console, but I wasn't. He was. And, honestly, I never had a PS2 be this loud. Has nothing to do with the topic, but everthing to do with the comment I was responding to. I don't really understand how I phrased anything in such a way that it should start any system wars. I own a piece of hardware that I paid good money for, yet it disturbs me with its excessive noise issue. I apologize, but I shouldn't have to worry about speaking negatively about my own console when it does infact evoke negative feelings. I never ever ever insinuated that all 360s are loud. I only said that mine is. Some people are just incredibly defensive and assumptious. I've been taken out of context and horribly misunderstood. Your right, my profile does give the wrong impression. That's why I deleted my blogs and will change it up a bit. Even though I don't see why a Colossus avatar or a MGS4 sig should prevent me from being accepted in this forum I don't want it to hinder me from getting a legitimate answer the next time I have a legitimate problem. And I certainly don't want to have to put up with the pure rudeness of some of these other posters. So, I'll change it up a bit. I'll put Marcus and Cole in there somewhere. But I stil don't really care for Microsoft as a company. I'm still intitled to that much, right?
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

So basically, you're Xbox was modded when you got it. If that's the case, then I guess you're out of luck in terms of officially supported solution. Good luck though.

tondeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tondeezy
Member since 2009 • 221 Posts

Hey, guys, my 360 is SO LOUD!!! I like to play at night while everyone is asleep and I can't really turn the TV up loud enough to drown out that god-awful noise. I just can't take that horrible sound any longer, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a good, reliable mod fan that will still do a good job to cool my 360 but quiet it considerably. Every one I've found so far says its the quietest and then I watch YouTube reviews on them and they are revealed to actually be LOUDER in most cases. I was just hoping for some personal experiences and perspectives. Thanks.

NEVERMIND!!!!! I contacted the company I ordered my system from. They say they "upgraded" to a more powerful fan to protect from the RROD, thus the fan is much louder! I guess I'm gonna get some headphones and leave the system be. I don't wanna put the stock fans back in and subject it to any heating problems. Plus, the guy said if I broke their seal I void my year warranty. Oh, well.

Nephilim83

get a ps3se its so quiet

then you wont need headphines becau

DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DecadesOfGaming

[QUOTE="DecadesOfGaming"]

celebate

Umm , what does using headphones have to do with making the fan quieter ??

O.K I will explain it just for you in 'SIMPLE' terms.. when your using headphones for gaming, the last thing on your mind is the damn fan !!