Xbox Thoughts on Graphics Concerns

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts

If you had any doubts about the Xbox One's graphical capabilities, with them being 720p on iterations like BF4 and COD: Ghosts, please put them to rest.

The games look AMAZING on both systems. There's a huge difference from current to last gen. I was playing BF4 on the 360 before they shipped my One. When it finally came I played it on the One and it took awhile to pick up my jaw from the floor. I don't think the beauty is so much in the resolution but in the 60fps. It's smooth like buttah!

I've had no hardware or software issues so far and I've set up everything from the cable box to the Kinect and all function great, but I'm still losing my mind on how good the graphics are. I can't wait for later titles but for now, please put your concerns to bed. The Xbox is a great system.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The fact that you're only talking graphics means you're not looking at the whole problem

Multiplats are looking and playing better elsewhere and going forward it's not the resolution that's going to be the problem but things like animations and AI.

If a game comes out and the Xbox can only handle 8 enemies while the other console can handle 12 there's going to be a dramatic difference in how each game plays.

Games look and play great on the Xbox One. The whole key will be convincing devs to put forth the extra effort to make the multiplats on par with that other console.

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts
@Jaysonguy said:

The fact that you're only talking graphics means you're not looking at the whole problem

Multiplats are looking and playing better elsewhere and going forward it's not the resolution that's going to be the problem but things like animations and AI.

If a game comes out and the Xbox can only handle 8 enemies while the other console can handle 12 there's going to be a dramatic difference in how each game plays.

Games look and play great on the Xbox One. The whole key will be convincing devs to put forth the extra effort to make the multiplats on par with that other console.

Oh contrar... I'm well aware of the whole problem but the fact remains that these are not only ports but launch title ports; something I don't think has been done in gaming history. (Correct me if I'm wrong of course).

As I mentioned, I've seen both versions of BF4 (Xbox1 and PS4) on my 50in and they're both jaw dropping. If you scoot real close to the TV, which I wouldn't recommend, you can tell differences but both look phenomenal for console iterations. I'm so convinced of this that I almost feel like Sony shouldn't even use the difference in resolution as a perk because the avg person won't be able to tell. Again it's just my opinion but with the other aspects of the XB1 I like, which I don't know if you read but I did mention other things besides graphics, the console is really impressing me so far.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Yeah there's no doubt games will still look phenomenal. I guess some people are just really anal about these things and notice the difference between 720p and 1080p whereas someone may not even tell in the slightest. To each their own, as long as you enjoy your console and it warrants your purchase. On the other hand as much as I am a graphics whore I also hope they look at game-play and physics in games and take it to a whole other level. When I'm playing an open world game and kill something I want that body to remain there and not disappear I want the smallest details perfected like water splashing effects, small things like a gun being holstered on your back and not just disappearing when put away. All these things as silly as they sound add to the immersion for me so yes graphics are very important to me but Game play/ and physics are the key factors that need improving over anything else IMO.

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 KingJuggaNott
Member since 2013 • 200 Posts

The game looks great, the nitpicking just to justify a purchase is silly. If the PS4 graphics are better....fine, but why do I sense that those who support that try to send out a message that the Xbox One graphics looks like Game Cube Graphics. After playing BF4 I was pissed and ashamed that I even took into account anything a group of fanboys and nitpicking gamers who want to debate into account.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@cejay0813 said:

If you had any doubts about the Xbox One's graphical capabilities, with them being 720p on iterations like BF4 and COD: Ghosts, please put them to rest.

The games look AMAZING on both systems. There's a huge difference from current to last gen. I was playing BF4 on the 360 before they shipped my One. When it finally came I played it on the One and it took awhile to pick up my jaw from the floor. I don't think the beauty is so much in the resolution but in the 60fps. It's smooth like buttah!

I've had no hardware or software issues so far and I've set up everything from the cable box to the Kinect and all function great, but I'm still losing my mind on how good the graphics are. I can't wait for later titles but for now, please put your concerns to bed. The Xbox is a great system.

Yeah been playing BF4 on the X1 for a bit now and it looks great, framerate is great....looks pretty much the same as the trailers and video clips we saw way back at the reveal and since .....basically I have no complaints in the graphics department, simple as that.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Have BF4 and I agree it looks really good. Then I put in Ryse and yeah, i'm ok with the state of affairs with Xbox Ones graphics. Funny thing is that i'm probably 2/3 of the way through Ryse and honestly it's a pretty good game. You wouldn't know that by the way everyone talks bad about it, me I went into it thinking I used to love: Final Fight, Double Dragon and Golden Axe so why not.... that's what it is in a way. An updated game based on those old games, having that expectation i'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

People seem to forget that that 720P upscaled to 1080p, Is still under the department of "High Definition Quality" and the difference between upscaled 1080p and native 1080p is barely even apparent! Games are still going to look gorgeous on both systems, regardless.

zombieweekend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zombieweekend
Member since 2013 • 38 Posts

Ultimately, the PS4 WILL have better graphics, because it's more capable to a more noticeable degree, unlike the extremely minor difference in performance between 360 and PS3. That's not all that matters though, because if it was, no one would buy a console at all, as the PS4's GPU is only about half as fast as the best PC video cards.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mesomorphin

@zombieweekend said:

Ultimately, the PS4 WILL have better graphics, because it's more capable to a more noticeable degree, unlike the extremely minor difference in performance between 360 and PS3. That's not all that matters though, because if it was, no one would buy a console at all, as the PS4's GPU is only about half as fast as the best PC video cards.

PS4's exclusives will shine in the graphics department without a doubt, however no one can deny how good Forza 5 and RYSE look a the moment either. Whilst the ps4 is technically stronger, its safe to say the difference wont be majorly apparent. And whilst it has been said that the PS4 is capable of having better looking multiplats over the XBONE, all the multiplats available at the moment show no such evidence, besides the slight resolution, they look identical in the graphics department.

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KingJuggaNott
Member since 2013 • 200 Posts

As if having slightly better graphics makes a PS4 superior to the Xbox One.

dbene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dbene
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts

Which Xbone games are in 1080p AND 60 fps besides Forza 5?

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

@dbene said:

Which Xbone games are in 1080p AND 60 fps besides Forza 5?

Check it out, man:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Fifa Soccer 14

NBA 2K14

dbene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dbene
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts

@psymon100:

thanks man.

BTW, I have read a lot of reviews that say Ghosts has stuttering issues on the PS4 that doesn't happen on XboneOne and that despite the lack of 1080P it ultimately runs better on Xbone

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#16 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

People shouldn't make such a big fuzz about the graphics, they look good on X1. Not as good as PS4 perhaps, but still good. But if you want the best graphics go to PC

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

when Halo 3 came out in 2007 it was 640p , halo 4 in 2012 with way much better graphics was 720p i think .

games will look much better in future .

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@mesomorphin said:

People seem to forget that that 720P upscaled to 1080p, Is still under the department of "High Definition Quality" and the difference between upscaled 1080p and native 1080p is barely even apparent! Games are still going to look gorgeous on both systems, regardless.

Upscaled 1080P means nothing. Everything is upscaled to 1080P on a 1080P TV, genius. The differences between 720P and 1080P are rather massive, considering one has more than twice the pixel count than the other resolution. Can you really not notice the graphics being twice as sharp (or twice as blurry) in comparison to eachother? It's night and day to me. Furthermore, the Xbox One version of BF4 is missing more than just resolution, but is also missing huge lighting effects such as SSAO or HBAO.

zombieweekend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zombieweekend

Looking at the processing power, what runs on PS4 at 1080p, should run about the same on One at 900p. Ported PC games will probably be running at 720p on both within a year, presumably with some quality drop on the Xbox version. I seriously doubt developers will render at less than 720p on either console, but as the PC performance pushes upward, even PS4 won't be able to handle full quality at full resolution. Battlefield 4 is already an example of this.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mesomorphin

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

Upscaled 1080P means nothing. Everything is upscaled to 1080P on a 1080P TV, genius. The differences between 720P and 1080P are rather massive, considering one has more than twice the pixel count than the other resolution. Can you really not notice the graphics being twice as sharp (or twice as blurry) in comparison to eachother? It's night and day to me. Furthermore, the Xbox One version of BF4 is missing more than just resolution, but is also missing huge lighting effects such as SSAO or HBAO.

Well sure its noticeably if you go out of your way to search it out buddy, but for anyone who isn't, they're not going to care as again the difference whilst noticeable isn't that big of a deal. I work in the video editing department and I'am constantly dealing with resolution and the differences are minimal, in-fact majority of the time 720p will rule over 1080p, given the fact higher resolution has been notorious for frame rate issues. On top of that given that 1080p is technically more clearer it tends to lose visual awe in most backdrops as oppose to 720p which masks the illusion.

Personally I prefer 720p for those particular small points, however will this stop me from playing BF4 on my ps4? certainly not man. In the end, its each to his own.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Some people r just so obsessed with graphics.

profanityVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 profanityVP
Member since 2005 • 393 Posts

i'd rather sacrifice slight graphic improvements if it means better gameplay and innovation in ways of kinect

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

does this small little details really matter that much ? believe me , when you pick up the controller and start playing ( on both consoles ) , none of this little differences really matter . the important thing is the joy of playing

if pixels really matter that much to you , build a powerful PC .

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KHAndAnime

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

Well sure its noticeably if you go out of your way to search it out buddy, but for anyone who isn't, they're not going to care as again the difference whilst noticeable isn't that big of a deal. I work in the video editing department and I'am constantly dealing with resolution and the differences are minimal, in-fact majority of the time 720p will rule over 1080p, given the fact higher resolution has been notorious for frame rate issues. On top of that given that 1080p is technically more clearer it tends to lose visual awe in most backdrops as oppose to 720p which masks the illusion.

Personally I prefer 720p for those particular small points, however will this stop me from playing BF4 on my ps4? certainly not man. In the end, its each to his own.

Obviously anyone who doesn't care about graphics aren't going to care about resolution. But I'd like to think that one of the main reasons we are upgrading our consoles is for better graphics. That is the main reason why they're releasing new consoles, no? If anyone's going to drop a crapload of money on a new console, I think it's a good idea to inform them that one console generally provides twice as sharp of a picture and more effects than the other.

I don't really care what your opinion on resolution is. If anyone doubt's the effectiveness of resolution - then they can go to their desktop and change the resolution to half of what they're using now on the PC monitor and tell me that there's hardly a difference. Of course, no one uses their monitor at half their monitor's native resolution because it's disgusting looking compared to the native resolution. In short: I think people are pretending to care less about resolution than they actually do.

If you try to compare 1080P/720P resolutions when they are both downscaled and shrunk to a few inches on your screen - you're not doing it right. You need to take a 720P image and upscale it up to the size of a 1080P image (similar to how a 720p image is upscaled to the full size of your TV). before the differences are abundantly obvious. And they really are abundantly obvious. The differences in graphics between the Xbox 360 and PS3 were minor and insignificant. This time around, the differences in graphics are major due to a huge difference in power between PS4/XB1.

If you don't care about graphics and care more about Kinect - then the Xbox One delivers. If you care only about graphics and games, but not as much about Kinect, then it's really hard to feel good about paying $500 for a console that looks significantly worse than its $400 competition. Being a PC gamer like me and caring about graphics, it's actually shocking how dated the Xbox One's graphical fidelity is compared to PC's I've built many years ago. It's really hard to feel ushered into a "new era" when that look era looks worse than games I've been playing for years.

I feel like there needs to be a little bit more of a "futuristic" element to the XB1 than me being able to shout commands at my games - that feature has been around in games since the Nintendo 64. Using a camera to play games? That's been around since the PS2. And PS3. And it was part of the Xbox 360 too. So there's nothing really all that special about it anymore (to me at least). In fact, I never found using a camera for my games to be all that useful...

jetjetjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 jetjetjaguar
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

@cejay0813: I agree and am very happy with the X1. I'll be getting the PS4 sometime before inFamous Second Son comes out. So far I don't see a reason to get too worked up on the graphics issue front. The comparisons are very close and I prefer X1 over PS4 in them as much as not. I have read that PS4 has a better graphics controller and I have read that X1 has more value in it's hardware build (that is without Kinect!). Both consoles will be a great, close to 50/50, experience I'm sure.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

You cant really tell the difference from 1080p and 720p when playing games. To me its a moot point to decide on a console for 1080p and 720p this gen. Both consoles will struggle to get to 1080p when more demanding games come out.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KHAndAnime

@slipknot0129 said:

You cant really tell the difference from 1080p and 720p when playing games. To me its a moot point to decide on a console for 1080p and 720p this gen. Both consoles will struggle to get to 1080p when more demanding games come out.

From the current trend of multiplats, it looks like we can expect 720p for XB1 games and 900p or higher for PS4 games. Nothing is going to magically make up for that power difference so this trend will likely continue for the rest of the gen. You really can't notice when one image is less than half of the resolution when playing games? That's probably when I'd most notice is. In movies, the difference between 720p and 1080p is negligible, but for games, it's hugely noticeable because everything is made up of these extra pixels.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@slipknot0129 said:

From the current trend of multiplats, it looks like we can expect 720p for XB1 games and 900p or higher for PS4 games. Nothing is going to magically make up for that power difference so this trend will likely continue for the rest of the gen. You really can't notice when one image is less than half of the resolution when playing games? That's probably when I'd most notice is. In movies, the difference between 720p and 1080p is negligible, but for games, it's hugely noticeable because everything is made up of these extra pixels.

I think the gap will close pretty fast once developers get used to the Xbox One's memory. People watch their tv in funky ways even when they can get 1080p. I see them all the time stretching the image without any concerns over picture quality. I doubt 99% of the people will care about 720p or 1080p on consoles. They will just play the game.

Me personally, i'm just glad all the games will be at 720p for the minimum.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mesomorphin

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

Obviously anyone who doesn't care about graphics aren't going to care about resolution. But I'd like to think that one of the main reasons we are upgrading our consoles is for better graphics. That is the main reason why they're releasing new consoles, no? If anyone's going to drop a crapload of money on a new console, I think it's a good idea to inform them that one console generally provides twice as sharp of a picture and more effects than the other.

I don't really care what your opinion on resolution is. If anyone doubt's the effectiveness of resolution - then they can go to their desktop and change the resolution to half of what they're using now on the PC monitor and tell me that there's hardly a difference. Of course, no one uses their monitor at half their monitor's native resolution because it's disgusting looking compared to the native resolution. In short: I think people are pretending to care less about resolution than they actually do.

If you try to compare 1080P/720P resolutions when they are both downscaled and shrunk to a few inches on your screen - you're not doing it right. You need to take a 720P image and upscale it up to the size of a 1080P image (similar to how a 720p image is upscaled to the full size of your TV). before the differences are abundantly obvious. And they really are abundantly obvious. The differences in graphics between the Xbox 360 and PS3 were minor and insignificant. This time around, the differences in graphics are major due to a huge difference in power between PS4/XB1.

If you don't care about graphics and care more about Kinect - then the Xbox One delivers. If you care only about graphics and games, but not as much about Kinect, then it's really hard to feel good about paying $500 for a console that looks significantly worse than its $400 competition. Being a PC gamer like me and caring about graphics, it's actually shocking how dated the Xbox One's graphical fidelity is compared to PC's I've built many years ago. It's really hard to feel ushered into a "new era" when that look era looks worse than games I've been playing for years.

I feel like there needs to be a little bit more of a "futuristic" element to the XB1 than me being able to shout commands at my games - that feature has been around in games since the Nintendo 64. Using a camera to play games? That's been around since the PS2. And PS3. And it was part of the Xbox 360 too. So there's nothing really all that special about it anymore (to me at least). In fact, I never found using a camera for my games to be all that useful...

Look If I haven't stated it already, I have no plans on starting a an argument over which system is better, and going by what you said friend I can clearly tell that you obviously share a little bias towards the PS4, again I have no problems with that and I respect your opinion, as I'd expect you'd respect mine. And yes I can definitely understand that if you're dropping $400-600 on a new system you do want the superior system, without doubt. However what you must realise is that this whole 720p BS is only effecting a few third party games on the X1 at the moment, as oppose to its First party titles which all run at 1080p, with the exception of Ryse which is only 980p. So given that its more than likely a temporary business, its shouldn't be a staple mark to judge it upon. And in so MS purposely dipped the resolution, inorder to avoid possible frame-rates drops on system, as it is relatively new hardware and will take a little while for devs to fully comprehend it.

And i disagree with your idea that the xbox one is only for "kinect" as at the moment it has more to offer than just tech demos, like the PS4 is currently suffering with. Whilst Ryse is a tech demo, DR3, Forza 5 and Killer instinct are not, as they are games that focus on gameplay over/on par with graphics. Unlike Killzone and Knack, whilst beautiful, they don't deliver too deep into gameplay.

Oh and please remember friend, that resolution and graphics are different.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KHAndAnime

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

Look If I haven't stated it already, I have no plans on starting a an argument over which system is better, and going by what you said friend I can clearly tell that you obviously share a little bias towards the PS4, again I have no problems with that and I respect your opinion, as I'd expect you'd respect mine. And yes I can definitely understand that if you're dropping $400-600 on a new system you do want the superior system, without doubt. However what you must realise is that this whole 720p BS is only effecting a few third party games on the X1 at the moment, as oppose to its First party titles which all run at 1080p, with the exception of Ryse which is only 980p. So given that its more than likely a temporary business, its shouldn't be a staple mark to judge it upon. And in so MS purposely dipped the resolution, inorder to avoid possible frame-rates drops on system, as it is relatively new hardware and will take a little while for devs to fully comprehend it.

And i disagree with your idea that the xbox one is only for "kinect" as at the moment it has more to offer than just tech demos, like the PS4 is currently suffering with. Whilst Ryse is a tech demo, DR3, Forza 5 and Killer instinct are not, as they are games that focus on gameplay over/on par with graphics. Unlike Killzone and Knack, whilst beautiful, they don't deliver too deep into gameplay.

Being a tech-head, I'm biased towards the console that provides the better hardware for the money. Just happens to be the PS4 this generation. I don't care about Sony or Microsoft and have no biases. Maybe one day when the XB1 begins to shape up, I might pick one up. I'm just looking for the best gaming experience.

The multiplats are specifically what I'm focusing on because it outlines the huge power difference. It takes a much, much, much more powerful system to run a game at 1080P than it does at 720P. I'm talking, the XB1 is 2/3 the power of the PS4. That's enough of a power difference to dramatically effect the games that come out on the console. For me, graphics and gameplay aren't separate. Playing Dead Rising 3 at 720P and 15 FPS, for example, is a crappy gameplay experience. I just wish the XB1 could actually do its exclusives justice. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment.

And as I said, I don't think the 3rd party titles will be catching up to the PS4 anytime soon, due to the significant lack of power.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mesomorphin

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

Being a tech-head, I'm biased towards the console that provides the better hardware for the money. Just happens to be the PS4 this generation. I don't care about Sony or Microsoft and have no biases. Maybe one day when the XB1 begins to shape up, I might pick one up. I'm just looking for the best gaming experience.

The multiplats are specifically what I'm focusing on because it outlines the huge power difference. It takes a much, much, much more powerful system to run a game at 1080P than it does at 720P. I'm talking, the XB1 is 2/3 the power of the PS4. That's enough of a power difference to dramatically effect the games that come out on the console. For me, graphics and gameplay aren't separate. Playing Dead Rising 3 at 720P and 15 FPS, for example, is a crappy gameplay experience. I just wish the XB1 could actually do its exclusives justice. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment.

And as I said, I don't think the 3rd party titles will be catching up to the PS4 anytime soon, due to the significant lack of power.

Yes its is a mystery as to why MS have chosen to go with their 720p, its still highly believed however, that it does have to do with the frame-rate. Again the only issue in power at the moment is really just the resolution, and its likely that its only temporary, until further patches are released. And all multi-plats at the moment seem the share the same visuals, again besides the resolution, the PS has yet to prove its "significant power" over the xbox. Because at the moment, I personally think Ryse looks better than Killzone, and Ryse isnt even running at 1080p...

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KHAndAnime

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

Yes its is a mystery as to why MS have chosen to go with their 720p, its still highly believed however, that it does have to do with the frame-rate. Again the only issue in power at the moment is really just the resolution, and its likely that its only temporary, until further patches are released. And all multi-plats at the moment seem the share the same visuals, again besides the resolution, the PS has yet to prove its "significant power" over the xbox. Because at the moment, I personally think Ryse looks better than Killzone, and Ryse isnt even running at 1080p...

The Playstation doesn't have to prove anything - the significant power difference is right there in the specifications. Do you understand technical specifications? If you do, you'd understand that 1.8 Teraflops of power (PS4) is a lot more processing power than 1.2 Teraflops (XB1). The Xbox One also significantly more overhead than the PS4, meaning the system can't dedicate nearly as much of its resources to the game as the PS4 can because the Xbox One has to constantly process Kinect information in the background (even if it's not being used!).

What games you think look better is completely subjective - but it is undeniable that Killzone flexes much more technical prowess than Ryse in the graphics department due to the PS4's extra power. The Xbox One can't patch in extra power. They can only optimize their games, which only squeezes out so much extra visuals over the upcoming decade - and while the XB1's games are being optimized, use of the PS4 is being optimized as well - maintaining the gap from now til the end of the generation.

I wish resolution was a smaller deal - but it's not. Having more than twice the pixel count does things for the visual fidelity that can't be made up in any other way. And I'm sure there will be a point where developers are releasing 720P games for the PS4 - what's the Xbox One going to do then? Release their games at 600p? 480p? And you're going to be satisfied with standard definition resolutions again?

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mesomorphin

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

The Playstation doesn't have to prove anything - the significant power difference is right there in the specifications. Do you understand technical specifications? If you do, you'd understand that 1.8 Teraflops of power (PS4) is a lot more processing power than 1.2 Teraflops (XB1). The Xbox One also significantly more overhead than the PS4, meaning the system can't dedicate nearly as much of its resources to the game as the PS4 can because the Xbox One has to constantly process Kinect information in the background (even if it's not being used!).

What games you think look better is completely subjective - but it is undeniable that Killzone flexes much more technical prowess than Ryse in the graphics department due to the PS4's extra power. The Xbox One can't patch in extra power. They can only optimize their games, which only squeezes out so much extra visuals over the upcoming decade - and while the XB1's games are being optimized, use of the PS4 is being optimized as well - maintaining the gap from now til the end of the generation.

I wish resolution was a smaller deal - but it's not. Having more than twice the pixel count does things for the visual fidelity that can't be made up in any other way. And I'm sure there will be a point where developers are releasing 720P games for the PS4 - what's the Xbox One going to do then? Release their games at 600p? 480p? And you're going to be satisfied with standard definition resolutions again?

"The Playstation doesn't have to prove anything - the significant power difference is right there in the specifications" The same was apparent with the PS3, however it took developers years to utilise its power. Again the ps4 has all that power but until I see it utilise that power, I will remain unsatisfied. Killzone was a fantastic showcase for what the system has to offer, but it was a generic first person shooter under the shell. I've noticed that power means alot to you, whilst I respect that opinion, you should concentrate on what your system has to offer in terms everything.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KHAndAnime

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

"The Playstation doesn't have to prove anything - the significant power difference is right there in the specifications" The same was apparent with the PS3, however it took developers years to utilise its power. Again the ps4 has all that power but until I see it utilise that power, I will remain unsatisfied. Killzone was a fantastic showcase for what the system has to offer, but it was a generic first person shooter under the shell. I've noticed that power means alot to you, whilst I respect that opinion, you should concentrate on what your system has to offer in terms everything.

Well, we're just at launch. You won't know what games will be out til the end of the gen. The PS4's superior graphical capability will become readily apparent once more exclusives are pumped out. The resolution debacle is at this point is rather an obvious indicator in terms of how much more power one system has than the other - you simply have to use your imagination as to what the developers are going to do with all that extra power other than resolution, because you'll start seeing the differences in more than just resolution soon enough. What we also know is that the Xbox is focusing more on Kinect-driven and casual entertainment experiences whereas the Playstation is attempting to cater to gaming enthusiasts with its barebones approach, boasting no-nonsense efficiency and a stellar value for the price. I suspect Microsoft is going to be too busy trying to appeal to people that aren't me (Sports fans, Kinect-casual game fans, etc.) to try to catch the eye of a gamer like myself.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mesomorphin

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@mesomorphin said:

Well, we're just at launch. You won't know what games will be out til the end of the gen. The PS4's superior graphical capability will become readily apparent once more exclusives are pumped out. The resolution debacle is at this point is rather an obvious indicator in terms of how much more power one system has than the other - you simply have to use your imagination as to what the developers are going to do with all that extra power other than resolution, because you'll start seeing the differences in more than just resolution soon enough. What we also know is that the Xbox is focusing more on Kinect-driven and casual entertainment experiences whereas the Playstation is attempting to cater to gaming enthusiasts with its barebones approach, boasting no-nonsense efficiency and a stellar value for the price. I suspect Microsoft is going to be too busy trying to appeal to people that aren't me (Sports fans, Kinect-casual game fans, etc.) to try to catch the eye of a gamer like myself.

Its a typical cliche for people to assume that the Xbox one is more of a casual based system. The Xbox one offers all the games that are focused on gamers such as Titan fall, DR3, Killer instinct, Titan fall, Halo, Sunset Over drive, Quantum Break etc... and as does the PS4 with its own library of games, however Xbox one adds ontop of that value with all the other extra's that would appeal to the casual crowd. Hence the term "All in one" Take the ps3 and 360 for instance, the ps3 was stronger than the 360, two years head of the 360 as far as hardware goes, and yet the 360 still pumped out gorgeous looking games like Gears of war 3, Halo 4 and forza 4 which arguably look on par or even better than Ps3's line of great looking games, regardless of the specs. Halo 4 looked gorgeous, however it wasn't necessary the specs that pushed it, alot of it had to with lighting and clever textures.

Have you even seen forza 5 in person? Visually it outranks DriveClub IMO. And yet PS4 has the better specs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwFyhMvw87c

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KHAndAnime

@mesomorphin said:

Its a typical cliche for people to assume that the Xbox one is more of a casual based system

Well, when you're forced to buy a Kinect with the console, the Xbox's stance towards entertainment is rather clear - don't you think? I don't want a Kinect, nor do I see a substantial need for it to be integrated with my games. It's purely for casuals and none else.

The Xbox one offers all the games that are focused on gamers such as Titan fall, DR3, Killer instinct, Titan fall, Halo, Sunset Over drive, Quantum Break etc... and as does the PS4 with its own library of games, however Xbox one adds ontop of that value with all the other extra's that would appeal to the casual crowd. Hence the term "All in one"

While the Xbox One is busy being the jack of all trades, master of none - the PS4 will be busy being the master of games.

Take the ps3 and 360 for instance, the ps3 was stronger than the 360, two years head of the 360 as far as hardware goes, and yet the 360 still pumped out gorgeous looking games like Gears of war 3, Halo 4 and forza 4 which arguably look on par or even better than Ps3's line of great looking games, regardless of the specs. Halo 4 looked gorgeous, however it wasn't necessary the specs that pushed it, alot of it had to with lighting and clever textures.

Not sure if I agree with this. PS3 had clear-cut the better looking games by the end of the generation. And the difference in power between the PS3 and 360 were actually relatively minor. This time, the difference in power is absolutely huge. I think that means by the end of the generation, we will be seeing significantly better looking games on the PS4 than the Xb1. Potentially, games could look almost 2x as good (given the capabilities in pure processing power).

Have you even seen forza 5 in person? Visually it outranks DriveClub IMO. And yet PS4 has the better specs.

I haven't seen Forza 5 in person. Only unimpressive screenshots and gameplay footage. DriveClub isn't even near completion yet, is it?

zombieweekend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zombieweekend

@KHAndAnime said:

Well, when you're forced to buy a Kinect with the console, the Xbox's stance towards entertainment is rather clear - don't you think? I don't want a Kinect, nor do I see a substantial need for it to be integrated with my games. It's purely for casuals and none else.

I purchased the Xbox One solely for Kinect. I can assure you with 99.99% certainty that I have been gaming longer than you, have owned more consoles, have owned more games, have played more games, and have spent more time playing games than you. Yet, because I have an interest in different games, I'm "casual", and you apparently are not. This is not correct, nor is your categorization of motion-sensing games as "casual" correct. If you want to stick to your rigid genre-gamer views, that's your business, but don't foist labels on the rest of us because of them.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mesomorphin
@KHAndAnime said:
@mesomorphin said:
Its a typical cliche for people to assume that the Xbox one is more of a casual based system

The Kinect's voice commands are actually very responsive and very fun to play around with and use, being able to tell your xbox to turn on and off is great.

The Xbox one offers all the games that are focused on gamers such as Titan fall, DR3, Killer instinct, Titan fall, Halo, Sunset Over drive, Quantum Break etc... and as does the PS4 with its own library of games, however Xbox one adds ontop of that value with all the other extra's that would appeal to the casual crowd. Hence the term "All in one"

While the Xbox One is busy being the jack of all trades, master of none - the PS4 will be busy being the master of games.

See now that comment is stupid and entirely bias, Iam not even going to bother.

Take the ps3 and 360 for instance, the ps3 was stronger than the 360, two years head of the 360 as far as hardware goes, and yet the 360 still pumped out gorgeous looking games like Gears of war 3, Halo 4 and forza 4 which arguably look on par or even better than Ps3's line of great looking games, regardless of the specs. Halo 4 looked gorgeous, however it wasn't necessary the specs that pushed it, alot of it had to with lighting and clever textures.

Not sure if I agree with this. PS3 had clear-cut the better looking games by the end of the generation. And the difference in power between the PS3 and 360 were actually relatively minor. This time, the difference in power is absolutely huge. I think that means by the end of the generation, we will be seeing significantly better looking games on the PS4 than the Xb1. Potentially, games could look almost 2x as good (given the capabilities in pure processing power).

Hahah possible, but I doubt it.

I haven't seen Forza 5 in person. Only unimpressive screenshots and gameplay footage. DriveClub isn't even near completion yet, is it?

you're right Forza 5 does look unimpressive, as does Killzone Shadow fall.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KHAndAnime

@zombieweekend said:

@KHAndAnime said:

I purchased the Xbox One solely for Kinect. I can assure you with 99.99% certainty that I have been gaming longer than you, have owned more consoles, have owned more games, have played more games, and have spent more time playing games than you. Yet, because I have an interest in different games, I'm "casual", and you apparently are not. This is not correct, nor is your categorization of motion-sensing games as "casual" correct. If you want to stick to your rigid genre-gamer views, that's your business, but don't foist labels on the rest of us because of them.

If you like casual entertainment, that's fine - that doesn't mean "core" gamers are the Kinect's target audience. I don't really care how long you think you've been playing games compared to other people - the device's integration outside of casual games is minimal and unsubstantial at best. How many casual games make fuller use of the Kinect vs "core" games? Seems like just about all of the Kinect games are largely casual games, aren't they? Is there even a single AA-rated "core" game that makes substantial use of the Kinect after all these years it has been out? Didn't think so. Plenty of disasters though. The Kinect is for casuals - unless you really feel like you're getting a substantial upgrade in your gaming experience from yelling at your game screen to "Volley" arrows. Personally, I experienced (and got bored) of that gameplay mechanic back when the N64 was using a microphone for games. If you think the Kinect has significant use for gamers that aren't into dancing games, Party games, etc. - then you're sorely mistaken. We already have the previous iteration of the Kinect to prove it (as well as the XB1 launch lineup).

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i buy ps4 or xbox one for games 720P VERSUS 1080P its not big deal for me

zombieweekend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 zombieweekend

@KHAndAnime said:

@zombieweekend said:

@KHAndAnime said:

If you like casual entertainment, that's fine - that doesn't mean "core" gamers are the Kinect's target audience. I don't really care how long you think you've been playing games compared to other people - the device's integration outside of casual games is minimal and unsubstantial at best. How many casual games make fuller use of the Kinect vs "core" games? Seems like just about all of the Kinect games are largely casual games, aren't they? Is there even a single AA-rated "core" game that makes substantial use of the Kinect after all these years it has been out? Didn't think so. Plenty of disasters though. The Kinect is for casuals - unless you really feel like you're getting a substantial upgrade in your gaming experience from yelling at your game screen to "Volley" arrows. Personally, I experienced (and got bored) of that gameplay mechanic back when the N64 was using a microphone for games. If you think the Kinect has significant use for gamers that aren't into dancing games, Party games, etc. - then you're sorely mistaken. We already have the previous iteration of the Kinect to prove it (as well as the XB1 launch lineup).

What does "core" gamer even mean? I defy you to define it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KHAndAnime

@zombieweekend said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@zombieweekend said:

@KHAndAnime said:

What does "core" gamer even mean? I defy you to define it.

"Core", short for 'hardcore', these are gamers who spend a lot of time playing games versus 'casual' gamers, who play games only occasionally and often only for social reasons. Casual games, because they are made for casual gamers, have a lot less meat because their target audience is a lot easier to satisfy and aren't looking for the same things as 'core' gamers. That's why they are often in the form of party games, and typically lack substantial (8+ hour) campaigns. These are the types of games that typically make use of the Kinect.

As I said, I'm not part of the "casual audience" and I'm looking for a little more than the novelty of having a camera pointed at me all the time. I want good games with good graphics. The novelty features and gimmicks that Kinect provides strikes me to be more of a distraction from what the Xbox One is lacking.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#43 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Well resolution is not graphics, so lets end that right now. Look at The Last Of Us. The game Sony fans voted best game of past gen, and for graphics. It was 720p and there were some games with higher resolutions a couple of years b4. How could they love it? Well one, they are hypocrites, two, its a BS complaint at launch. Look at PD0 and Kameo. Both good launch titles for 360. Then look at Gears 3, halo 4, and Forza 4. Big difference huh? That is what you want at launch from graphics, imo. If u think either PS4 or X1 have maxed out at launch, welcome to gaming. And if graphics are your primary concern? Why are you gaming on ANY console? PC crushes them....

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

@cejay0813 said:
@Jaysonguy said:

Oh contrar... I'm well aware of the whole problem but the fact remains that these are not only ports but launch title ports; something I don't think has been done in gaming history. (Correct me if I'm wrong of course).

As I mentioned, I've seen both versions of BF4 (Xbox1 and PS4) on my 50in and they're both jaw dropping. If you scoot real close to the TV, which I wouldn't recommend, you can tell differences but both look phenomenal for console iterations. I'm so convinced of this that I almost feel like Sony shouldn't even use the difference in resolution as a perk because the avg person won't be able to tell. Again it's just my opinion but with the other aspects of the XB1 I like, which I don't know if you read but I did mention other things besides graphics, the console is really impressing me so far.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight princess.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KHAndAnime

@cainetao11 said:

Well resolution is not graphics, so lets end that right now. Look at The Last Of Us. The game Sony fans voted best game of past gen, and for graphics. It was 720p and there were some games with higher resolutions a couple of years b4. How could they love it? Well one, they are hypocrites, two, its a BS complaint at launch. Look at PD0 and Kameo. Both good launch titles for 360. Then look at Gears 3, halo 4, and Forza 4. Big difference huh? That is what you want at launch from graphics, imo. If u think either PS4 or X1 have maxed out at launch, welcome to gaming. And if graphics are your primary concern? Why are you gaming on ANY console? PC crushes them....

Resolution and graphics go hand in hand. If you have 2 identical look games and one is twice the resolution of the other (like how the XB1 compares to the PS4), then the one with the significantly higher resolution also has significantly better graphics. It's not that hard to understand. Consoles are capable of graphically competing with, and beating the PC. Well, the PS4 maybe. Not sure if the XB1 stands a chance.\

I disagree with the notion that any average person can't tell the difference in resolution. Even my dad, who has god-awful eyesight and no technological prowess whatsoever, can spot the differences between SD, Cable 720p, and Blu-Ray. Perhaps the average little kid, the average old person (60+), and the average idiot would not be able to tell the difference. Most people with eyes should be able to tell the difference.

720p isn't a particularly sharp image. By PC standards, it's an incredibly blurry image in fact. As I've said, it's incredibly easy to tell when the picture is more than twice as sharp when you're dealing with a low resolution like 720p. It's not a far cry from the standard definition we were using not too long ago.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#46 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@cainetao11 said:

Resolution and graphics go hand in hand. If you have 2 identical look games and one is twice the resolution of the other (like how the XB1 compares to the PS4), then the one with the significantly higher resolution also has significantly better graphics. It's not that hard to understand. Consoles are capable of graphically competing with, and beating the PC. Well, the PS4 maybe. Not sure if the XB1 stands a chance.

Been at this a long time and I disagree. The graphics are what they are. When I first got my 360, all I had was a 30" Sony Trinitron TV. I still saw good graphics. Then I got an HDTV. I still saw good graphics, just much more defined. Consoles have competed with PC at times, but no. Not these two, for long. PC will be ahead in a short time. But Graphics aren't my focal point so it doesn't matter to me. Games do.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KHAndAnime

@cainetao11 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@cainetao11 said:

Resolution and graphics go hand in hand. If you have 2 identical look games and one is twice the resolution of the other (like how the XB1 compares to the PS4), then the one with the significantly higher resolution also has significantly better graphics. It's not that hard to understand. Consoles are capable of graphically competing with, and beating the PC. Well, the PS4 maybe. Not sure if the XB1 stands a chance.

Been at this a long time and I disagree. The graphics are what they are. When I first got my 360, all I had was a 30" Sony Trinitron TV. I still saw good graphics. Then I got an HDTV. I still saw good graphics, just much more defined. Consoles have competed with PC at times, but no. Not these two, for long. PC will be ahead in a short time. But Graphics aren't my focal point so it doesn't matter to me. Games do.

I'm a tech-head and know a ton about hardware (for PC and consoles). I'm also majoring in Computer Science. I'm also a hermit. When I say that these consoles (particularly PS4) are capable of competing with PC graphically, I mean it. Developers don't focus on pushing the graphical envelope on PC anymore, only a couple of devs really. The devs are focusing on pushing the graphical envelope with these next-gen consoles.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Forza 5 has jaggies everywhere! I was very disappointed but maybe my expectations are too high. The sound and handling are amazing but the jaggies are kind of annoying. But the environments look very on par and I didn't really notice any pop ups which was surprising given the draw distance.