Xbox 360 stopped reading discs.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

My Xbox 360 won't read DvDs or Games. Tried turning it off, made sure no dust was in there etc...

I have a feeling the laser is gone...This is my Second Xbox that has had hardware problems (First one Red Ringed). The warranty is up on it, do you guys have any ideas on why it won't read discs or what I can do about this?

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

My Xbox 360 won't read DvDs or Games. Tried turning it off, made sure no dust was in there etc...

I have a feeling the laser is gone...This is my Second Xbox that has had hardware problems (First one Red Ringed). The warranty is up on it, do you guys have any ideas on why it won't read discs or what I can do about this?

Snipes_2

When you have a disc in there, does it say "OPEN TRAY" even though you have a disc inside. Plus, once you put a disc and close the tray does it make a small, distinctive grinding noise for like 2 seconds, a noise that is very different from the usual noise from spinning the disc and hard-drive readings...?

Avatar image for _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts

yeah mine started doing this a while back, where when i put the game or movie in, it would try to read it, but then it would just say "open tray" like nothing was in there. it got worse and worse until it stopped reading them all together. i unplugged everything and had pretty much given up on xbox. about 2 weeks later i was like "what the hell, ill plug it in for fun" and it has worked ever since lol. that was about 2 or 3 weeks ago. id like to try and trade it in for the new xbox before it breaks again but everyone is sold out.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EvilSelf

I figured out what is causing the "Open Tray" error. Whoever has problems can let me know and i will give you tips of how i am fixing my XBOX 360 every time it has this problem. it works 100 % of the time on mine.

EvilSelf...

Avatar image for _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts

I figured out what is causing the "Open Tray" error. Whoever has problems can let me know and i will give you tips of how i am fixing my XBOX 360 every time it has this problem. it works 100 % of the time on mine.

EvilSelf...

EvilSelf

what do you do to fix it?

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
There are discs sold on Amazon that allegedly clean dvd drives. I'd try that before calling MS. But I wouldn't get my hopes up. Odds are you're looking at a $150 repair (or recently reduced Arcade model. Just swap the HD.)
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EvilSelf

Here is what i have noticed about OPEN TRAY and how i fixed mine. Please follow my scenario as to what is causing the OPEN TRAY error on my console.

Every time i want to play a game, which WAS NOT in the XBOX's DVD tray, i would turn on the console by EITHER:

1. Pressing the "EJECT" button on my console (Note: the console IS NOT on prior to pressing the EJECT button, so in a way this is how i turn on the XBOX). Then insert the disc and close the tray.

2. Pressing the POWER button on the console and IMMEDIATELLY press the EJECT button so i can switch out/insert the disc with the game i wanted to play.

Note: i am not using the controller at all in the act of turning the console on or off.

After i start the console using either one of the two methods described above (more likely to happen with the first one) i get the OPEN TRAY error message.

What you need to do is:

1. Make sure you REMOVE any discs from your XBOX' tray.

2. Turn off the console for 10 seconds. (NO DISCS INSIDE)

3. Turn on the console again, either by using the controller or the POWER button (NOT the EJECT button) and WAIT for the initial XBOX setup. DO NOT Rush to put the game disc in. This is critical.

This fixes the OPEN TRAY error 100 % of the time on my XBOX 360. If you are doing one of two scenarios explained above (just like i was doing it, because i was impatient) then this will most likely fix it for you.

NOTE: I have had my XBOX for 3 years now and this is the only problem i have with it, amd this is how i fix it. I used to use cleaning discs thinking that the lens is dirty or something but that was not the case.

Hopefully, this helps some players out there...

EvilSelf...

Shoot2kill1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shoot2kill1989
Member since 2009 • 4015 Posts

My previous xbox had this problem and i had to buy a new console, i think its the laser thats gone but i couldnt tell u that for certain

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EvilSelf

My previous xbox had this problem and i had to buy a new console, i think its the laser thats gone but i couldnt tell u that for certain

Shoot2kill1989

On mine, i thought the laser is bad as well, until i tracked down when and how the problem occurs, and i managed to fugure out how to fix it. Of course there could be many different reasons and one fo them being laser being bad...

EvilSelf...

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

EvilSelf

When you have a disc in there, does it say "OPEN TRAY" even though you have a disc inside. Plus, once you put a disc and close the tray does it make a small, distinctive grinding noise for like 2 seconds, a noise that is very different from the usual noise from spinning the disc and hard-drive readings...?

Yeah, I unplugged it and stuff. Now it works again :?
Nasukashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nasukashi
Member since 2005 • 134 Posts

yeah, i have the same problem sometimes, its been like this for over a year actually, but my method is much easier, just keep closing/opening the tray, and give the 360 some soft taps, after a couple of times it will just decide to start reading

works everytime^^

you guys obviously never had a nes or any oldschool system O.o.....sometimes all they need is a nice slap in the face, and you yelling ''work dammit!'' and it works =D

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Snipes_2

yeah, i have the same problem sometimes, its been like this for over a year actually, but my method is much easier, just keep closing/opening the tray, and give the 360 some soft taps, after a couple of times it will just decide to start reading

works everytime^^

you guys obviously never had a nes or any oldschool system O.o.....sometimes all they need is a nice slap in the face, and you yelling ''work dammit!'' and it works =D

Nasukashi

Lol, Actually I have 2 NES :P

They just need a good whack to start working, usually I just keep pushing the cartridge up and down and up and down until it works. :lol:

Nasukashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nasukashi
Member since 2005 • 134 Posts

[QUOTE="Nasukashi"]

works everytime^^

Snipes_2

Lol, Actually I have 2 NES :P

They just need a good whack to start working, usually I just keep pushing the cartridge up and down and up and down until it works. :lol:

hahaha yeah! same thing still works with the 360, except instead of the cartridge u keep opening and closing the tray^^....damn i miss those cartidges

TOC48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 TOC48
Member since 2008 • 637 Posts
This is pretty much the only problem I have had with Xbox 360s and have personally fixed it on two different Xbox 360s. There are of course temporary fixes but the only permanent fix I have found (it has been working on my little brother's 360 ever since I tried it) besides sending it in to be repaired and buying a new disc drive is pretty simple yet hard to explain. Here is the URL to what has fixed my open tray issues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Saq77h8R07g I hope it works for you.