Xbox 360 Cooling Methods

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DocsDeLorean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DocsDeLorean
Member since 2004 • 2532 Posts

I'm looking for any cooling methods that people have come up with that stop the 360 from turning into a furnace. I've come across some on YouTube, but I'm really trying to find a way to keep a 360 cool without having to mod the system itself in any way. And I'm aware of the Nyco Intercooler, which works well, until it melts the power connection. So if aynone has a cheap, effective way of keeping a 360 cool, please go ahead and share. I'd like to pick up the materials before I purchase my system this Friday.

Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts
Uhhh righhhhht. What are talking about. I never cool my system... I would say do not lay it down flat because there are more vents and fans to get air to the system standing up... Also Make sure your system has plenty of room on all sides of it so that the fans and stuff have room to get air to it.... Also do not play your system for more then like 10 hours straight without at least giving it 10 hours to cool down... sorry if i am of no help... no one seems to be answering your question anywayz... peace
Jaberta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Jaberta
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Yeah. Basically Dont play more the 10 hours striaght or Lay it down on its side . Its better standing up, But i dont know if the New xboxs have that Probblem anymore Does anybody now about that ?
DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts

I'm looking for any cooling methods that people have come up with that stop the 360 from turning into a furnace. I've come across some on YouTube, but I'm really trying to find a way to keep a 360 cool without having to mod the system itself in any way. And I'm aware of the Nyco Intercooler, which works well, until it melts the power connection. So if aynone has a cheap, effective way of keeping a 360 cool, please go ahead and share. I'd like to pick up the materials before I purchase my system this Friday.

MetalGearRex007

Actually the "new" Nyko Intercooler doesn't melt your power connection and has been rated extremely well by all of the hardware sites. The main reason it's improved are that it has a more solid connection without any play in the cord like the original model and the big difference is that the original version used plastic for the connector which caused the melting problem where as the new version uses a metal connector that cannot melt. The new version has the designator "EX" on the end and like I said has been rated very well.

Unfortunately because of the issues with the older model, Nyko kind of got a bad rap - but if you absolutely need a cooling solution the best one on the market according to the hardware review sites is the Intercooler "EX".

And yes I use an "EX" after reading the fantastic reviews of it. I have run my console for as much as 19 hours straight with zero frame rate drop, glitches or overheating issues.

Ranger11B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ranger11B
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts
using an intercooler ex will instantly void your warranty i have a new elite sept 2nd i just use a small fan and place it at the back of the unit no problems at all
mindz2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mindz2004
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts

jus dont put it in water like that stupid kid did

i lol'd seriously

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts

using an intercooler ex will instantly void your warranty i have a new elite sept 2nd i just use a small fan and place it at the back of the unit no problems at allRanger11B

Do you have a link to back up your staement about instantly voiding the warranty. It is my understanding after thoroughly reading the warranty that any 3rd party device can void the warranty "if" it causes the system to fail. As of now no one has really reported any problems with the "EX" like the original model. So as long as the "EX" itself isn't the cause of your console failing then it does NOT void the warranty by using it. Otherwise every 3rd party periferal including gamepads and cables would void the warranty as well. I was just curious if you have a link specifically in reference to the "EX" voiding the warranty just by installing it which is what you have stated.

It doesn't matter too much to me if it does or not - because if my Elite fails I'll just buy another one - and there is a noticeable performance increase for me when playing for long hours (over 10) when using the "EX" - so the performance increase is well worth the risk for me.

Anyway - a link would be nice to back up what you're saying.

butterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 butterob
Member since 2006 • 1090 Posts

using an intercooler ex will instantly void your warranty i have a new elite sept 2nd i just use a small fan and place it at the back of the unit no problems at allRanger11B

i heard you shouldnt put it at the back becuase its blowing the hot air straight back into the 360.... put it at the side where the cool air goes in

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts

This is what i have done to my elite......

laying it horizontal so its doesnt get knocked over

i have put four bottle caps underneath it...one at each corner to to raise it of the table so it doesnt get hot

plenty of space behind it

and i plan on getting a notbook cooler to place underneath it

works a treat 360 satys cool

and dont do anything stupid like that kid who put it in water.....and somebody else kept thiers in a plastic bag!!!!

Mvsevm_of_Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mvsevm_of_Skin
Member since 2007 • 924 Posts

I pretty much did the same thing, though I used 1" wood blocks rather than bottlecaps. The bottom is cooler than a menthol smoking Christopher Walken.

raze-boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 raze-boi
Member since 2006 • 853 Posts
I use two laptop cooling devices (One under my xbox and one on the top)and an USB fan and it works great! =D
DocsDeLorean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DocsDeLorean
Member since 2004 • 2532 Posts

This is what i have done to my elite......

laying it horizontal so its doesnt get knocked over

i have put four bottle caps underneath it...one at each corner to to raise it of the table so it doesnt get hot

plenty of space behind it

and i plan on getting a notbook cooler to place underneath it

works a treat 360 satys cool

NSR34GTR

^ ^ This is an example of what I was asking for.

Uhhh righhhhht. What are talking about. I never cool my system... I would say do not lay it down flat because there are more vents and fans to get air to the system standing up... Also Make sure your system has plenty of room on all sides of it so that the fans and stuff have room to get air to it.... Also do not play your system for more then like 10 hours straight without at least giving it 10 hours to cool down... sorry if i am of no help... no one seems to be answering your question anywayz... peaceZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

^ ^ Not this. Standing a 360 up on it's feet blocks the air intake on the bottom from sucking air in, allowing more hot air to stew inside. "Well Microsoft designed it to stand up." When 25% of all 360s need to be repaired and people like me need to ask questions like how to keep my system cool, then I guess there was a few flaws in that "wonderful" design. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great platform and that's why I want to get one. It's just not a well built machine. Thank you for those who gave me some real ideas.

Mr_Badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mr_Badman
Member since 2006 • 81 Posts
Ice water. ;)
mosa922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 mosa922
Member since 2007 • 749 Posts

This is what i do in many cases.

Case 1: Dont lay your 360 on it's side, place a fan behind it and turn it on medium & dont play for more than 5 hours.

Case 2: If you have an A/C where ever your 360 is, place your 360 in front of it and it will be cooler than the fan, when you do this you can turn it on it's side.

These two methods helped me alot and it keeps my 360 cool, i usualy use the A/C case so i can play longer.

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts

jus dont put it in water like that stupid kid did

i lol'd seriously

mindz2004

I didn't hear anything about this, but it's pretty damn funny! I thought it was a younger kid, but he was 14!!! :lol:

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts
I lay mine on it's side and Icut two pieces of wood to raise it up off thedesk so that air can get under it. I triedbottle caps but my 360 slid around on them too much. I don't play for more then 3 hours at a time. I'm gonna geta small fan to blow on it and help circultate theair around it better.
chief_527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chief_527
Member since 2003 • 1121 Posts

I use two laptop cooling devices (One under my xbox and one on the top)and an USB fan and it works great! =Draze-boi

do you have pics of that...im getting my 360 from repair "soon" and i really dont want to send it back so i wanna get some ideas on how to keep it cool. do you tink if i buy something like this i will keep it more cool???

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-LapCool3-USB-Notebook-Cooling/dp/B000AGK8NI/ref=pd_sim_e_2/105-0525383-4814020?ie=UTF8&qid=1189086472&sr=8-1

stygiansanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 stygiansanity
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts
[QUOTE="MetalGearRex007"]

DataDream

Actually the "new" Nyko Intercooler doesn't melt your power connection and has been rated extremely well by all of the hardware sites. The main reason it's improved are that it has a more solid connection without any play in the cord like the original model and the big difference is that the original version used plastic for the connector which caused the melting problem where as the new version uses a metal connector that cannot melt. The new version has the designator "EX" on the end and like I said has been rated very well.

Unfortunately because of the issues with the older model, Nyko kind of got a bad rap - but if you absolutely need a cooling solution the best one on the market according to the hardware review sites is the Intercooler "EX".

And yes I use an "EX" after reading the fantastic reviews of it. I have run my console for as much as 19 hours straight with zero frame rate drop, glitches or overheating issues.

sparked my curiousity, going to look into it

DurhamNC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 DurhamNC
Member since 2006 • 1139 Posts
I'll side with those in the slightly-elevated camp. I picked up 6 rubberized feet, each about an inch thick. I put four undfer the 360, one at each corner, and two under the power brick. This keeps everything raised and helps with air circulation. The 360 has lots of room in it's little comparment, and the power brick itself it out in the open.
nate623

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 nate623
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts
[QUOTE="MetalGearRex007"]

DataDream

This EX intercooler is great and it does not void your warranty, it is kinda noisy but your system will never get hot not evan after 3hours of use, its the truth i love that thing, and if your system mess's up MS never knew you had it so i wont void warranty. Well worth the 20$

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts
I heard that most of the problems are not the 360, but the power pack itself getting too hot? People place it on carpets where it gets too warm and the console freezes?
RojAvon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 RojAvon
Member since 2005 • 922 Posts

Here's what you need to do. Take your 360. Place it on a hard flat surface with at least a couple of inches of clear space around it. Don't put it on top of any other electronic equipment.

Turn on 360 and play normally.

Don't buy those ripoff aftermarket products.

The hardware is definatlely less forgiving than it should be for stupid placement but I'm convinced that the vast majority of the RROD's are a result of contributory foolishness on the part of some people on where they placed the thing to begin with.

raze-boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 raze-boi
Member since 2006 • 853 Posts

Here is my Xbox360 with its "cooling devices" (The USB fan is for blowing at the back of the xbox 360)!

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
also i have just put the power brick on a table on its own(un riased) but air get around it well
chief_527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chief_527
Member since 2003 • 1121 Posts

Here is my Xbox360 with its "cooling devices" (The USB fan is for blowing at the back of the xbox 360)!

raze-boi

cool man exactly what i was looking for...but it does look kind of weird but if it does the job who gives a flying F*** right... i'll do a little more reserch and by one of those"cooling divises" from amazon.

tarheel2317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tarheel2317
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
hey i found a way to cool the 360 and make the games you play ALOT Quiter. All you have to do is first find 4 water bottle caps like the dasani or deer park kind...(try to find smaller ones,don't use gatorade) then you take the caps and put them under the xbox while it is flat put each cap over the grey rubber nubs on the bottom....it is soooo much quiter in games for me and it gets air ventilated through all parts of the xbox. This also gives room for the CPU to cool instead of being right agsinst a surface to BURN!
shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts

Intec Xbox 360 Glow Cooling Stand (best one on the market).