Wow..Half Life 2 Is The Best FPS I Have Ever Played!!!

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kevinlamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 kevinlamar
Member since 2007 • 158 Posts

I didn't know anything about the half life series until I bought the orange box. And honestly, I just got the Orange Box to play Portal (And it was cheap; 30 bucks)

But after I beat portal I decided to give Half Life 2 a try. Oh....My ...God! Usually when I play games, I don't really care too much about the story; it's always the same....virus unleashed, i shoot zombies...some idiot is trying to control the world...blah blah blah....But Half life IMMERSES you into the story.

You actually are engaged with the story the entire time! I am never confused about why I am fighting or why I am on a mission. The story is top notch, the gameplay if phenomenal, and I actually CARE about the characters. I am completely addicted to this game. I haven't started episode 1 or 2 yet, but I can't wait! I know the PC nerds will say that I'm late, but who cares! I can't remember being this engaged in a storyline since God of War!

And The Weird thing is that the graphics aren't even that good; proving once again that games are all about storyline and gameplay..NOT GRAPHICS!

My Final Point: This game is so good, this is the first time I have ever seriously thought about buying a 360 so I can get the better version of the game...the load times and frame rate do suck ass on the PS3. I hope they re release it or something.Will there ever be a half life 3????????????????????????????????

Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
I got the same deal you did for it, great game. I never played anything from the Half-Life series before and was quite amazed by it in my first playthrough and the rest of it is addictive as well.
fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fdsfgs
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts
i thought half life 2 was pretty good, nothing mind blowing. its still a great game though. some weak points it had were that it was too easy and it seemed too linear.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Orange Box is the best deal for 360.....and Half Life 2: Episode 3 is expected sometime in early 2009.
nelfer320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 nelfer320
Member since 2004 • 2867 Posts
I'm the same as u! I've never knew anything about Half-Life until I got the Orange Box recently for $30 bucks! I loved Half-Life 2, Episode One, and Episode Two! I also liked Portal. I'm looking forward to Half-Life 2 Episode Three.
DoMiNiC147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 DoMiNiC147
Member since 2008 • 984 Posts
You are so right HL2 is great. I can't wait for episode 3.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#7 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I hear they're making another one. haven't played any of them before, though. I might try it out now! :D
nelfer320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nelfer320
Member since 2004 • 2867 Posts
I hear they're making another one. haven't played any of them before, though. I might try it out now! :Dorb_03_2006
$30 bucks if u live in the US! U won't be disappointed!
Maxwellmurder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Maxwellmurder
Member since 2006 • 68 Posts
half life 2 graphics are actually really good imo. But i think Bioshock is better imho but thats just me half life 2 is definately up there though.
Link1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Link1515
Member since 2004 • 1380 Posts
Welcome to the Half-Life games. HL1 and HL2 are two of the best games I have ever played. They truly stand out and tower above the vast vast majority of games in history. I bought the Orange Box for PC back near Christmas, but just recently started playing Ep2, and I love it!
Syrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Syrenz
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts
I picked it up couple of months ago and was not impressed. I'm sure it was great for it's time but every time I looked at the screen my eyes began to hurt. After playing so many awesome newer shooters I could not properly enjoy it.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts
not just pc nerds console nerds too HL 2 was on the first xbox as well but yeah the story is good HL is the best fps for story but they game play starts to get stale i mean they can only do the uzzle thing so many times they need to breathe some new life into it.
danmam2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 danmam2
Member since 2008 • 393 Posts

This summer I decided to play through the Half Life games. I downloaded HL from Steam and played through it: it was sort of a grind. I could see how it was innovative for its time, but it hasn't aged particularly well. I purchased the Orange Box and am currently playing through HL2....it's a great game, and I love how you're immersed in the environment. However, this may be just me, but I don't understand the story much...just seems like I'm constantly escaping the Combine for whatever reason, no explanation of what the Combine is or anything. Maybe they gave one but I missed it. I'm looking forward to playing E1, E2, and in the future, E3, just for the gameplay.

nrt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nrt25
Member since 2005 • 670 Posts
Yeah Half Life 2 is a lock for my list of favorite games of all time.
zaidpass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zaidpass
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts

Wow are you serious about the graphics man?? They won numerous awards when the game first came out in 2004 and now it still looks good and comparble to the new 2008 games. The game has amazing graphics and yeah I loved the game too,

konradak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 konradak
Member since 2005 • 1769 Posts
Lol (yepp guna do it) way to be late! Just kidding but seriously. I played HL on the PC years ago and then bought HL2 when it first came out for the pc. Utter brilliance the whole series is. Then I bought the Orange box for the 360 and cannot wait for Ep.3. Also, the graphics aren't bad really. I still get impressed by them now. It's the art style.
Syrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Syrenz
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts

Wow are you serious about the graphics man?? They won numerous awards when the game first came out in 2004 and now it still looks good and comparble to the new 2008 games. The game has amazing graphics and yeah I loved the game too,

zaidpass

It's possible that it is just because I played on my old comp which has a lousy graph card. My primary game machine is my Xbox now amd I bought a really high quality comp that actually lets games work now.. but it wasn't as if my comp kept flashing while I played. The graphics were fuzzy and a bit blurry.

bazanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bazanger
Member since 2004 • 2838 Posts
love that game :)
Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts

Yeah, I bought it Sunday and I'm at the part with the jeep and the antlions... Quite blown away. I was sort of prepared for a overrated experience like Halo, but the story and characters alone got me! Truely in love so far!

I guess I should of expected greatness after playing Counter Strike, Portal and of course Team Fortress 2.

Avatar image for creeping-deth87
creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 creeping-deth87
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts
I bought the Orange Box just recently but haven't had a chance to play through it yet. I loved the original though, definitely one of my favourite games ever. If you liked Half Life 2 I highly reccommend BioShock, superb shooter with a great story.
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 silky_smooth8
Member since 2003 • 3659 Posts
you should have played hl2 when it first came out - it had great graphics at that time. Though no shooter will surpass the original half-life, that game was way ahead of its time
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I thought it was great, although I had to play it with mods on the PC version because the console graphics were unbearable for my standards. Something about HL2 gives me nausea. So I had to endure the state of nausea through the entire game. Yes, even episodes 1 & 2. Combined with the nausea, I can't say that I enjoyed it. It was literally excrutiating to play. I have to say that it does feel dated and I could personally do without all the old-school puzzle elements. Not until episodes 1 & 2, that Alyx accompanies you. Before that, I felt so alone. HL2 original was a lonely game.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Yeah Half-Life 2 is an increadable experiance.
choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 choffy
Member since 2005 • 1881 Posts
As for the Half-Life 3, I'm sure there will be, but the developers specifically said that Episodes 1, 2 and 3 are basically what Half-Life 3 would have been
Danold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Danold
Member since 2005 • 3174 Posts
I remember thinking this when I first played HL2, that was around 3-4 years ago though when it really was the best FPS yet to be made.
konradak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 konradak
Member since 2005 • 1769 Posts

I thought it was great, although I had to play it with mods on the PC version because the console graphics were unbearable for my standards. Something about HL2 gives me nausea. So I had to endure the state of nausea through the entire game. Yes, even episodes 1 & 2. Combined with the nausea, I can't say that I enjoyed it. It was literally excrutiating to play. I have to say that it does feel dated and I could personally do without all the old-school puzzle elements. Not until episodes 1 & 2, that Alyx accompanies you. Before that, I felt so alone. HL2 original was a lonely game. Elann2008

The game made you sick? Maybe you shouldn't be playing video games if you are that sensitive... And the puzzles definitely keep the game more interesting, especially when you compare it to most current shooters, which are extremely generic.

As for the Half-Life 3, I'm sure there will be, but the developers specifically said that Episodes 1, 2 and 3 are basically what Half-Life 3 would have beenchoffy

Realy? Thought Ep. 1,2 & 3 are expansion packs to keep us held over until the 3rd one comes out? Lol I certainly hope soooo.

xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts
I thought it was good but nothing special at all.I dont get the love for this game.
xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts
yes orangebox is a superb game (play TF2 its superb)
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#29 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Half Life 2 is very very overrated but it is quite good. I'd give it a 7.5 / 10
a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
i liked the half life games... I just didn't like how it gave me a headache sometimes...i've been playing the Halo games and CoD games for years and Half life is the only series that gives me that nasty feeling... I also thought there were too many "quiet" times... but they were good games with great stories...
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#31 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Glad your enjoying it man! The Half Life series are great! And The Orange Box is such a great deal, i just wish the 360 version of Team Fortress 2 had more people playing and i also wish it had all the hundreds of user made mods that the pc version had.

Episode 2 was my fav of hte half life singleplayer games, cant wait for episode 2

Tiger_Raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tiger_Raid
Member since 2008 • 304 Posts
not better than Bioshock and Mass Effect
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

The graphics when Half-Life 2 originally came out were far better than anything out at the same time.

And surprisingly they are still good by today's standards. Of course, Episode 1 gets an improvement and Episode 2 is even better in terms of textures, lighting etc.

Well, I'm glad to see new people getting into Half-Life.

The episodes are much more involved with the characters, and I'll leave it at that.

The game is my favorite first person shooter. The story keeps you scratching your head, but it feels deep and that Gordon Freeman actually has a vital role in the universe.

Arguably, Episode 2 is better than the original Half-Life 2. So you have a lot to look forward to.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

not better than Bioshock and Mass EffectTiger_Raid

Well that's a bold statement.

Although this is not a Bioshock vs. Half-Life thread, I will give my two cents in a few sentences.

Bioshock was overrated, it's story was not as good as people made it out to be, Rapture was a neat concept but never fully realized. But the atmosphere for what its worth was interesting.

But I'll make it clear, Bioshock got ruined for me because the gunplay was awful, actually horrendous. Of course most of the action was done via the plasmids, but I preferred blasting stuff with a pistol, sub-machine etc. They never felt right, didn't sound right, and felt extremely underpowered.

Mass Effect is a completely different genre altogether... so that is complete opinion that you preferred that genre to Half-Life and the fps genre.

Wezker619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Wezker619
Member since 2006 • 1427 Posts
I loved Half-Life 2 for the Source Engine. It was so mind blowing for me back in 2004. As a matter of fact Im gonna go play HL2 right now or some Zombie Panic Source.
Nificant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nificant
Member since 2004 • 291 Posts
I hated HL2 until the Black Mesa East chapter... I felt like I was just running for my life and didn't really know why. Black Mesa East and Ravenholm are where I fell in love and never looked back. I enjoyed the early chapters a lot more on my second playthrough once I had some perspective. I never played HL1, obviously.
DrSbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DrSbaitso
Member since 2003 • 652 Posts
Well Valve is the greatest game development house on the planet:D, you rule Gabe!
98_percent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 98_percent
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Until i played orange box i was a total halo fan but half-life is truly amazing and best game ever. the only thing that keeps me playing halo is the multiplayer but half life has a mind blowing storyline and i love how the whole story is seen through gordons eyes with no irritating cinematics like many other fps games. (and portal is great too)
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10602 Posts
its epic. will never forget my first play through of it.
Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts
well.... its Half Life man, what do you expect?
SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts

I prefered Halo:CE to HL or HL2.

inb4****storm

Messiah_xXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Messiah_xXx
Member since 2006 • 778 Posts
I bought The orange box because i wanted to play TF2 with friends but i played HL2 first and completley forgot about TF. It was probably one of the only single player experiences i really got into besides bioshock. For me thats saying alot haha:lol:
kakcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kakcaz
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts
i hate those god dam head crabs especialy the poisen ones that make a really screechy noise but its a really good game
Andrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Andrn
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts
Agreed, I'm at the part with the Suppressor, but it's so far been one of the most fun games I've ever played.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts

I had the same expierience with HL2!

I started with Half life 1 and HATED it although I played it through.

Then I bought HL2 for the comp and thought it was one of the most immersive and fun games ive ever gotten to play!

Every level has something new so the game cant possibly get old!

Avatar image for volcomstoner180
volcomstoner180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 volcomstoner180
Member since 2008 • 4410 Posts
nice glad you enjoyed my fav fps series of all time..and yes rumours of episode 3 are around supposed to be sometime 2009
GANGSTASAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 GANGSTASAN
Member since 2006 • 2249 Posts

I didn't know anything about the half life series until I bought the orange box. And honestly, I just got the Orange Box to play Portal (And it was cheap; 30 bucks)

But after I beat portal I decided to give Half Life 2 a try. Oh....My ...God! Usually when I play games, I don't really care too much about the story; it's always the same....virus unleashed, i shoot zombies...some idiot is trying to control the world...blah blah blah....But Half life IMMERSES you into the story.

You actually are engaged with the story the entire time! I am never confused about why I am fighting or why I am on a mission. The story is top notch, the gameplay if phenomenal, and I actually CARE about the characters. I am completely addicted to this game. I haven't started episode 1 or 2 yet, but I can't wait! I know the PC nerds will say that I'm late, but who cares! I can't remember being this engaged in a storyline since God of War!

And The Weird thing is that the graphics aren't even that good; proving once again that games are all about storyline and gameplay..NOT GRAPHICS!

My Final Point: This game is so good, this is the first time I have ever seriously thought about buying a 360 so I can get the better version of the game...the load times and frame rate do suck ass on the PS3. I hope they re release it or something.Will there ever be a half life 3????????????????????????????????

kevinlamar

Well sir. You have just found out? Half-life is arguably the best FPS. Half-life recreated the FPS genre. I think there will be HL 3, however Episode 3 must be done first

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#48 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts

kevinlamar

Half-Life the original is even better than Half-Life 2 and all of the episodes put together IMO. Who knows if there'll be a Half-Life 3, probability is high. They haven't even released the last episode yet so no use getting too excited.

Fumpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Fumpa
Member since 2003 • 3307 Posts

I didn't care for the game that much. It was amazing looking when it was released, and still looks pretty good, but I just couldn't get into it. I did push through the game and finish it and felt more relieved when I finished it than satisfied. I did try to play episode 1 and 2 on different occasions and both times just decided that I didn't want to get into either of the games and feel the need to complete them as I did with the first one.

Portal and Team Fortress 2 are awesome though.

BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

...and i love how the whole story is seen through gordons eyes with no irritating cinematics like many other fps games.98_percent

Yep. That's one of my favorite things about the series. It's very cinematic in places, and manages to tell a story without ever breaking perspective. I wish more developers would take this approach to in game storytelling.

Half-Life is the one of the best series out there. I've always liked the balance between shooting portions, puzzles, vehicle sections, etc. Great storytelling, as well. Can't wait for Episode 3 to come out.