Wireless Router/ XBL connection

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blue-Sphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blue-Sphere
Member since 2006 • 1972 Posts
Hey guys. I just bought a Wireless router yesterday. Linksys Wireless-G, 2.4 GHz, 54 Mbps, Model-WRT54G. I put in the config CD, did the steps, and I was done. Now, I'm pretty sure I've got the wires correct. As far as my 360 goes, I've got the Eternet cable that came with the system. One end plugged in the back of the 360, the other in Port 2 of my router, next to the network cable that connects to my comp. But here's the thing... When I have my comp on, I can't connect to XBL. When I DON'T have my comp on, it goes ahead and connects me to live, but I can't surf the net on my comp if I turn it on afterwards. Is there a setting (or settings) on the 360 that I have to change or input, or is it the settings in the router, and what settings do I have to change?

All I got from xbox.com was that I needed to turn off the UPnP (whatever that is) off from my router settings. I went ahead and disabled it, but still it won't work. I'd appreciate the help. Ty.

Nonam3gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Nonam3gamer
Member since 2005 • 880 Posts
It's almost certaintly a router setting problem although the only thing I can think of your problem be is that if have a setting on that makes it so only a certain number of devices can connect to the network but I forget exactly what tab you have to go through in the router settings to fix that.

M_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 M_fire
Member since 2006 • 270 Posts
idk mine works fine
Blue-Sphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blue-Sphere
Bump.
SilV3RSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 SilV3RSix
Member since 2002 • 1722 Posts
Sounds like your DHCP settings might be off kilter, meaning it's not automatically assigning a subnet IP to your devices... try making sure DHCP is set to ON and then reset everything...
budorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 budorz
Member since 2003 • 1406 Posts
ya sounds like when ur on live the xbox is taking ur comps ip so when ur comp is on it cant find an ip address cuz your 360 is using it so do what the above said
Blue-Sphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blue-Sphere
ya sounds like when ur on live the xbox is taking ur comps ip so when ur comp is on it cant find an ip address cuz your 360 is using it so do what the above saidbudorz
Yeah, because when I'm on my comp, and I run the XBL connection test, one of the things that comes up is to make sure the IP isn't already being used or somethin like that. I think it might be a setting on my router where I have to change it so that more than one network can share the connection.
SilV3RSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 SilV3RSix
Member since 2002 • 1722 Posts
get on your PC and enter 192.168.1.1 in your Internet explorer. This will access your router. Then enter the username and password (both are 'admin' unless you changed them)... the very first tab should have a bit about DHCP, and the maximum number of users, etc etc.. scan that and look for anything that looks like it wouldn't make common sense, then reset and try again.
Blue-Sphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blue-Sphere
Yeah, thanks for all your help guys. I actually called up MS and they straightened everything out for me. Thx again, appreciate the help.