Why does microsoft charge for stuff that should be free ???

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Merc009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Merc009
Member since 2007 • 2620 Posts

like musicc videos ? wtf,

farmboy872

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 farmboy872
Member since 2004 • 35 Posts
Guess that if they run at a loss, there would be no live.
Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts

Because people will still buy them for some reason.

daprofesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 daprofesa
Member since 2005 • 1030 Posts

Shrapnel99

that and technically its against the law to give them out for free (i.e. i believe you have to pay for this stuff at itunes too)

And on youtube, it's legal because the company themselves put it up.

So on xbl the companeis in a way force microsoft to make users pay for them.

Hopefully all realize youtube and mtv!

farmboy872

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 farmboy872
Member since 2004 • 35 Posts

Shrapnel99
lol, Yes there is that too, seen the other day someone was not happy when they downloaded a red v blue session and not all the eps where there. I dont see the point as it's been on the web for free for what 4 years now.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba32555a6c71
deactivated-5ba32555a6c71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5ba32555a6c71
Member since 2005 • 325 Posts

If the music videos were free most of them would be from artists you have never even heard of who are trying to get some free publicity.

megamadman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 megamadman5
Member since 2006 • 725 Posts

because they can

fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fighter91
Member since 2005 • 1293 Posts
I don't understand why Microsoft charges money for the COD map packs if they are free on the PC version... that just makes no sense.
FadeToBlack90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FadeToBlack90
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

[QUOTE="Shrapnel99"]

daprofesa

that and technically its against the law to give them out for free (i.e. i believe you have to pay for this stuff at itunes too)

And on youtube, it's legal because the company themselves put it up.

So on xbl the companeis in a way force microsoft to make users pay for them.

Hopefully all realize youtube and mtv!

mtv still plays music? I thought they had reduced to nothing more than horribly staged reality crap.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Playing online should be free.

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

because they can

megamadman5

This.

And do they ever!

webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

Why do people charge for anything? Profit! Why do people on forums ask dumb questions

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

Why do people charge for anything? Profit! Why do people on forums ask dumb questions

webbut

uhh.. because they can?

(hides)

GAMEWIZ21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GAMEWIZ21
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts

Shrapnel99
you are totally right face it the Xbox 360 has soooo much to offer and as long as there are "REAL" gamers then they will buy that stuf things like xbox live gold and the wireless network adapter there you have it case closed.
SaharzLV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SaharzLV
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

This makes me wonder if any of you realizes that if noone would pay for games, movies, music, there wouldn't there be any of thoes?

Johnnylaw47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Johnnylaw47
Member since 2005 • 28 Posts
I don't understand why Microsoft charges money for the COD map packs if they are free on the PC version... that just makes no sense.fighter91
Because Bill Gates only cares about money, that's why google's beating microsoft in the webapps department... they don't charge for anything because all of google's money comes from ads while microsoft feels it should not only put 10 ads on a page but charge you for their service as well (Oh yea cause I really need to pay for hotmail premium). So it only makes sense that they'd do the same thing for xbl.
MrSlippery39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 MrSlippery39
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts

I don't understand why Microsoft charges money for the COD map packs if they are free on the PC version... that just makes no sense.fighter91

Microsoft doesn't charge for the Map packs, its the developer who does it. The reason why they are free on PC is because the PC map pack was sponsored by some graphics card company.

mad-aussie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 mad-aussie
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts

I know how you feel, i mean we pay to dollar for the xbox live gold and yet they also wnat us to pay for other stuff as well. It's just the way they are.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

As far as music is concerned... Microsoft has to buy the license for the music... and they are selling the music through the music producer... So Microsoft is only getting a portion of the money, most of which is going to the music production company...

Same with Movies and DLC... the film companies and game developement companies are recieving most of the money through the sales, Microsoft just gets a portion of it...

Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts
[QUOTE="fighter91"]I don't understand why Microsoft charges money for the COD map packs if they are free on the PC version... that just makes no sense.Johnnylaw47
Because Bill Gates only cares about money, that's why google's beating microsoft in the webapps department... they don't charge for anything because all of google's money comes from ads while microsoft feels it should not only put 10 ads on a page but charge you for their service as well (Oh yea cause I really need to pay for hotmail premium). So it only makes sense that they'd do the same thing for xbl.

Bill Gates hasn't worked for Microsoft for quite a while now. He's been retired for several years. All he does anymore is give to charity.
Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lance_Kalzas

[QUOTE="fighter91"]I don't understand why Microsoft charges money for the COD map packs if they are free on the PC version... that just makes no sense.MrSlippery39

Microsoft doesn't charge for the Map packs, its the developer who does it. The reason why they are free on PC is because the PC map pack was sponsored by some graphics card company.

Microsoft sets the price for all DLC and Arcade games. This is why some of it is free and some if it is not. Generally speaking, if there's achievements related to it, then there's a charge for it. Of course there are several exceptions to this rule. Examples of this would be the extra stages for Army of Two. Those were free because of a Pontiac promotion. There's an Arcade space shooter (like Gradius from SNES back in the day) that is free, with achievements, because it was developed by 3 interns at a university. I know this because I read a short interview with one of the managers at Stainless Games (they recently launched Magic on XBL) and he said they thought Microsoft was going to require 1,200 MS points ($15 for the game) but instead it's being sold for 800 MS points.
boltzcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 boltzcom
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts
Why do some people still not realize it's a business? It's not just Microsoft. Any company would do this. For reasons that a good number of people have already explained on here they have to. You know what you're getting yourself into when you sign up for XBL...so don't complain when things arise such as trying to watch copyrighted (key word) music videos!
Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lance_Kalzas
Why do some people still not realize it's a business? It's not just Microsoft. Any company would do this. For reasons that a good number of people have already explained on here they have to. You know what you're getting yourself into when you sign up for XBL...so don't complain when things arise such as trying to watch copyrighted (key word) music videos!boltzcom
Because you're always going to run into people that want something for nothing and the moment they're denied that, they start complaining. It's like complaining about gas prices. Does it accomplish anything? Nope.
G00DANG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 G00DANG
Member since 2009 • 769 Posts

Because most things are produced at a cost and so the developers need to make back some of this cost, if you watched the E3 conference we will be getting quite a lot free for example the personalised radio stations and facebook. Dont complain about paying stuff because if you realli want something you should just go out and buy it.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Why do some people still not realize it's a business? It's not just Microsoft. Any company would do this. For reasons that a good number of people have already explained on here they have to. You know what you're getting yourself into when you sign up for XBL...so don't complain when things arise such as trying to watch copyrighted (key word) music videos!boltzcom

Because they are little kids that don't have to worry about money... They ask mommy and she says no... so they go into little kid rage pouting and make threads like this...

VdGmsExprt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VdGmsExprt2
Member since 2008 • 52 Posts

Dude, you're right! Why should they charge us for music videos? Why should they charge for movies? WHY SHOULD THEY CHARGE FOR GAMES?! (All sarcasm)

I also wonder why people like you waste space on the forums with these types of questions. (Not sarcasm)

P.S. If you really want your music videos that bad, there is a magical (yes, magical) website called Youtube!

xRmRxfreakBOMB
I think he meant things like to play online because the PS3 and Wii has free internet play. Also if Red Vs. Blue is free online then why not on the Xbox? However I do not waste money on such useless crap like videos and movies on the Xbox while I can rent it using blockbuster or download it in iTunes. When you but things on the Xbox, your limited to the Xbox.
konradak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 konradak
Member since 2005 • 1769 Posts

Why do I have to pay for Taxis or Buses? Why do we have to pay taxes? Why do we have to eat food, or wipe our asses?

Because it's life. Suck it up. Can't afford the hobby, don't do it. Don't want to shell out for the hobby, don't do it either.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
Why does is charge for stuff like music videos? 1 - because it can 2 - because there are people stupid enough to buy them when they could just watch them free online
VdGmsExprt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 VdGmsExprt2
Member since 2008 • 52 Posts
I kinda like the idea for charging for wireless, it kinda reinforces people to be directly hooked up to the internet and help prevent sucky connections. When I played on the Wii online it was a lagfest every game.
kdubs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kdubs26
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Because it costs them to get that stuff. Although they seem to be a little overpriced. Lol
truedog80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 truedog80
Member since 2007 • 1125 Posts

because we **** pay regardless.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

[QUOTE="boltzcom"]Why do some people still not realize it's a business? It's not just Microsoft. Any company would do this. For reasons that a good number of people have already explained on here they have to. You know what you're getting yourself into when you sign up for XBL...so don't complain when things arise such as trying to watch copyrighted (key word) music videos!Squeets

Because they are little kids that don't have to worry about money... They ask mommy and she says no... so they go into little kid rage pouting and make threads like this...

You just made my day. :lol:
Avatar image for Enraged_Bannana
Enraged_Bannana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Enraged_Bannana
Member since 2008 • 671 Posts
games are also cheaper on pc, but when you have a gaming pc it can cost a lot of money to upgrade it.
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts
Only thing I really hate paying for are gamerpics.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

Because people are willing to pay. so why not?

Flamingpostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Flamingpostman
Member since 2006 • 1172 Posts

id k dude i agree :P

dhyhalut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dhyhalut
Member since 2003 • 213 Posts

because they can

megamadman5

QFT =D

RedReckoning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RedReckoning
Member since 2009 • 638 Posts
because its all about the SKRILLZ for microsoft brutha
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

I love how some of you have decided in your minds what should and should not be free.

The problem is that none of you have any good justifications for WHY these things should be free. And I'm not talking about a quick, one-line response, I'm talking an actual analysis on the product, its supply/demand and its potential market and whatnot. Ya know, stuff that these professionals do to determine these things?

Its very easy to say, "Oh but Microsoft isa huge, rich corporation and can afford to give away this for free." Well sure they can, yes. But does that mean they should? I'm sure they could afford to buy me a Ferrari without it denting their business in the least, but I certainly dont expect them to do that. Microsoft is not a charity. They(and the stockholders)invest their money, and they expect a return from it. Thats how business works.

zombehhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 zombehhhh
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

Because they have to get money from it when they make the deal with the record companies and such. I do think that Xbox Live Gold should be free.

Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lance_Kalzas
Only thing I really hate paying for are gamerpics.brandontwb
Then don't. Are gamerpics 100% essential for gaming? No. Does your Xbox 360 come with some? Yes. Problem solved, huh?
rattleheadxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rattleheadxyz
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

To TC: Do you walk into Wal-Mart and complain about all the products on the shelves not being free? Well, maybe you do but those of us that understand commerce don't. It's there if you want to purchase it,if you don't then just walk away.

jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 jrabbit99
Member since 2007 • 2836 Posts
because they want money :P
Johnnylaw47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Johnnylaw47
Member since 2005 • 28 Posts
[QUOTE="MrSlippery39"]

[QUOTE="fighter91"]I don't understand why Microsoft charges money for the COD map packs if they are free on the PC version... that just makes no sense.Lance_Kalzas

Microsoft sets the price for all DLC and Arcade games. This is why some of it is free and some if it is not. Generally speaking, if there's achievements related to it, then there's a charge for it. Of course there are several exceptions to this rule. Examples of this would be the extra stages for Army of Two. Those were free because of a Pontiac promotion. There's an Arcade space shooter (like Gradius from SNES back in the day) that is free, with achievements, because it was developed by 3 interns at a university. I know this because I read a short interview with one of the managers at Stainless Games (they recently launched Magic on XBL) and he said they thought Microsoft was going to require 1,200 MS points ($15 for the game) but instead it's being sold for 800 MS points.

Nope your still wrong. Bill Gates hasn't worked for microsoft in quite awhile but his money grubbing partners are still there. And if you want to use the "it's a business" excuse because either you don't buy the DLC or arcade games and thus dont care, or for some other reason than please explain why microsofts first DLC was a horse armor for oblivion that cost $5? Can you tell me any reason why horse armor warrants $5 of anyone's money?
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#46 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
[QUOTE="brandontwb"]Only thing I really hate paying for are gamerpics.Lance_Kalzas
Then don't. Are gamerpics 100% essential for gaming? No. Does your Xbox 360 come with some? Yes. Problem solved, huh?

Heck, some games such as Gears of War 2 and Halo Wars give them to you for free just for completing certain in game objectives.
Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lance_Kalzas

[QUOTE="Lance_Kalzas"][QUOTE="MrSlippery39"]

Johnnylaw47

Nope your still wrong. Bill Gates hasn't worked for microsoft in quite awhile but his money grubbing partners are still there. And if you want to use the "it's a business" excuse because either you don't buy the DLC or arcade games and thus dont care, or for some other reason than please explain why microsofts first DLC was a horse armor for oblivion that cost $5? Can you tell me any reason why horse armor warrants $5 of anyone's money?

No, I'm not wrong. I didn't refer to Horse Armor in particular. I said "Generally speaking...." That means I'm not referring to any particular item plus I listed a few examples in my original post that show the opposite of what you're saying. Did you latch on to the 2nd sentence in my post and ignore the rest?

AxlRoseIsMyDad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AxlRoseIsMyDad
Member since 2009 • 172 Posts

Shrapnel99
yeah pretty much.
Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts

like musicc videos ? wtf,

Merc009
How you know it's MS putting a price on them? If you have notice, record companies don't like giving away anything for free. And they like to sue.
astreets1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 astreets1
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's not Microsoft slapping on the price tag. They get their cut from your live subscription and that's probably it. All other DLC money probably goes to publishers/developers....I don't know why people think that Microsoft or anyone else who tries to make money is evil....lol