Why did so many people like Fable 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CharlyMurphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 CharlyMurphy
Member since 2007 • 461 Posts

i dont se anyone say anything bad about this game. i didnt play the first one so i decided to get this one. it looked like a blast because i love RPG's and the family thing seemed neat. what the heck? this is the game X-Play deemed worthy of best game of the year? the game was short and predicatble, the combat has to be the worst combat ive played in a while. if i want a wife i talk to her doing the same gesture for 5 mins than have a baby and theres all the options i can do with my family custimaztion. and Lionhead thinks that hitting a little dot in the green for 30 minutes is a fun way to make money. what am i missing? the only thing i seemed to enjoy was inviting my friend into my world and kill everybody in albion, this shouldnt even be listed as a RPG. oh boy i leveled up. usually you would like to be rewarded with something unique but no you get some more things u can do with the X button. and the magic and ranged seemed pointless since there exactly the same thing. i really wanted to like this game but i was wrong. looks like im going to have to skip on this one

amirsafar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 amirsafar
Member since 2005 • 1349 Posts
i loved it
GTA_MGS_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 GTA_MGS_1
Member since 2008 • 524 Posts
It's great.
MikeLirette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 MikeLirette
Member since 2005 • 4697 Posts
It was just so simple.. even in it's predictable ness it was still worth playing for me. I guess some simple things just work for some people.
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
I like it
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Because it's great.
sammyt555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sammyt555
Member since 2008 • 220 Posts
i also didnt see the big deal. definitely not a great game. mediocre.
MikeLirette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MikeLirette
i also didnt see the big deal. definitely not a great game. mediocre. sammyt555
I would like to know why you think that, list me your reasons.
johnmatthais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 johnmatthais
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts
i hated it it completely screwed over my hopes for the series but i mean i also didn't like Fable 1, so to speak because Fable one was incredibly linear and restricted, and just didn't do well as an RPG, and it took 10-12 hours to finish (about the time it took me to finish Conker or any of the Banjo games) Fable 2 made it worse for me...it promised a bigger world...it gave it to me, but it actually reduced play-time...it only took me 8 hours to finish it was even easier than Fable 1, in a sense that a lot of combat was button-mashing, like a fighting game tacked on to an already lacking RPG. it did improve on the directions you could take, there were now clear good and evil directions, both of which were INCREDIBLY obvious, but i failed to see how it affected anything in the very end, seeing as i didn't play through twice. Multiplayer was promised...but it was limited and felt like you were trying to play multiplayer Diablo on one computer...not to mention the henchman thing sucked, as in you couldn't show off your cool gear to other people unless you switched who was hosting...and even then, comparison was hard...not to mention, i didn't ask for multiplayer...i would have been fine without it the side-quests, oh they were a joke. there were very few, they were easy, didn't have much a point and often didn't give you much that you didn't already have better than. a lot of the amazing stuff could be found anyways or through a promotion or summat. lastly, the real-estate. it was a good idea, but i found it a pain to have to manage each one separately, and by the time i got around to each, i found myself forgetting what i was going to put there i mean i'm an RPG guy but this is ridiculous...if you're a casual RPG player or a guy who usually plays shooters or summat, then this is for you, and there are prolly a lot of hardcore RPG players out there but it wasn't my cup of tea a lot of people love Fable, i didn't (and for the record, i'm not hating on MS, i played the hell out of Halo and Gears) and also, OP asked for someone to say something bad...so i did ^_^
Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts
Well i enjoyed the first one. And I also enjoyed the second one. I also enjoy rpg's that are similair to Fable so it was a win win for me.
n_8_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 n_8_z
Member since 2005 • 293 Posts
the majority of people like it, but im with the small percentage that doesn't like it..popped it in my 360, within 20 minutes of playing it, i turned it off and returned it to blockbuster..i guess its not my type of game..
johnmatthais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 johnmatthais
[QUOTE="sammyt555"]i also didnt see the big deal. definitely not a great game. mediocre. MikeLirette

i'll help him out here...read my post ^^
MikeLirette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MikeLirette
[QUOTE="MikeLirette"][QUOTE="sammyt555"]i also didnt see the big deal. definitely not a great game. mediocre. johnmatthais

You know what ,I agree.. I guess, well I played Oblivion and liked it, but I guess I'm not really a hardcore RPG player so maybe that's why I liked it, I tend to play shooters so something different looks good to me right?
johnmatthais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 johnmatthais
[QUOTE="MikeLirette"][QUOTE="johnmatthais"][QUOTE="MikeLirette"] I would like to know why you think that, list me your reasons.

You know what ,I agree.. I guess, well I played Oblivion and liked it, but I guess I'm not really a hardcore RPG player so maybe that's why I liked it, I tend to play shooters so something different looks good to me right?

yep, i see it as Microsoft's way to bridge the ever so large gap between the Action and RPG genres in a way that would appeal to the masses it's definitely for a different kind of player than i am, that's for sure ;)
MikeLirette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MikeLirette
[QUOTE="johnmatthais"][QUOTE="MikeLirette"][QUOTE="johnmatthais"] i'll help him out here...read my post ^^

yep, i see it as Microsoft's way to bridge the ever so large gap between the Action and RPG genres in a way that would appeal to the masses it's definitely for a different kind of player than i am, that's for sure ;)

:P was that a stab at my gaming taste? :P haha just kidding, I guess I agree with some , but we all have our seperate opinions right :)
johnmatthais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 johnmatthais
[QUOTE="MikeLirette"][QUOTE="johnmatthais"][QUOTE="MikeLirette"] You know what ,I agree.. I guess, well I played Oblivion and liked it, but I guess I'm not really a hardcore RPG player so maybe that's why I liked it, I tend to play shooters so something different looks good to me right?

:P was that a stab at my gaming taste? :P haha just kidding, I guess I agree with some , but we all have our seperate opinions right :)

nah it wasn't, it was a generalization that most people don't like the thinking that the heavier RPGs take xD and yep that's for sure ^^
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I'm an RPG guy and I love Fable 2. I come from a long background of gaming on PC, and just lately finished The Witcher: EE for a 3rd time. I think real gamers can accept Fable 2 as a great experience, even if it's not as deep as some others.
sammyt555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sammyt555
Member since 2008 • 220 Posts

mike, i just dont find much incentive to play the game. nothing urges me to go turn on my xbox and play fable 2. If i make more money in that game, i can buy more useless crap or decorate my house. My character uses pretty much nothing but Will, so i dont need any gear. all my powers are full so i dont need to level up. i can kill anything in the game no problem.

why should i play? the combat is not fun or intricate. the main quest line is so unimaginitive it makes me want to cry. the sidequests are never anything very interesting. i just never find myself saying "wow" in that game. tell me what you think mike

johnmatthais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 johnmatthais
I'm an RPG guy and I love Fable 2. I come from a long background of gaming on PC, and just lately finished The Witcher: EE for a 3rd time. I think real gamers can accept Fable 2 as a great experience, even if it's not as deep as some others.BioShockOwnz
well tbh, that's the first time i've heard that score one for you ^^
nelfer320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 nelfer320
Member since 2004 • 2867 Posts
I never played the first one either but I love Fable 2! Its my type of game. Thats why "I" like it.
IcemanLBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 IcemanLBC
Member since 2003 • 59 Posts

Yeah, its badly overrated.

I liked Fable, so i bought Fable 2 on its release day. The story was stupid, even for fable. There is little armor or different weapon types. The combat is extremly dumbed down. I didnt die "get knocked out" a single time. I am a pretty good gamer, but i should never get through an entire game without dying at least once. It almost felt like it should be a Wii game. The ending was awful. The graphics were not bad but were not very crisp. ALOT of bugs.

If i went into Fable without a lot of hype i may have enjoyed it more but if i had to do it again i would definetly rent it and beat it but i would not spend $60 for it.

MikeLirette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MikeLirette

mike, i just dont find much incentive to play the game. nothing urges me to go turn on my xbox and play fable 2. If i make more money in that game, i can buy more useless crap or decorate my house. My character uses pretty much nothing but Will, so i dont need any gear. all my powers are full so i dont need to level up. i can kill anything in the game no problem.

why should i play? the combat is not fun or intricate. the main quest line is so unimaginitive it makes me want to cry. the sidequests are never anything very interesting. i just never find myself saying "wow" in that game. tell me what you think mike

sammyt555
Sadly I can't say much... it's just something I liked I guess, really it all comes down to taste, if anything it's at least worth a rent.. I got it free so that's part of my bargaining haha
MuscleCarMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23 MuscleCarMan
Member since 2004 • 796 Posts
rented it, finished it, and never looked back.
Fun_In_The_Sun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fun_In_The_Sun
Member since 2003 • 364 Posts
What I want to know is, how could anyone like too human enough to put a picture from it on their profile?
tamer7788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tamer7788
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts

Accually I hate RPG games but I liked the game.. It was fun but short (the main quest, I don't really care for side quests and family stuff)...

xxRJxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xxRJxx
Member since 2006 • 107 Posts

My only complaint is the co-op.

other from that i enjoy the game

cant wait for the DLC

TheCaveRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 TheCaveRat
Member since 2006 • 3672 Posts
Can people on this site not grasp the concept of opinion, not everyone will agree with what's good and bad. Knowing why other people feel the way they do isn't going to change anything either.
Dogboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dogboywonder
Member since 2008 • 1339 Posts
I never played the first one either but I love Fable 2! Its my type of game. Thats why "I" like it.nelfer320
same, but maybe im not that far in the game but there isnt tht much to explore, but i still love the game!
Avatar image for handofthedragon
handofthedragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 handofthedragon
Member since 2007 • 93 Posts
i hated it it completely screwed over my hopes for the series but i mean i also didn't like Fable 1, so to speak because Fable one was incredibly linear and restricted, and just didn't do well as an RPG, and it took 10-12 hours to finish (about the time it took me to finish Conker or any of the Banjo games) Fable 2 made it worse for me...it promised a bigger world...it gave it to me, but it actually reduced play-time...it only took me 8 hours to finish it was even easier than Fable 1, in a sense that a lot of combat was button-mashing, like a fighting game tacked on to an already lacking RPG. it did improve on the directions you could take, there were now clear good and evil directions, both of which were INCREDIBLY obvious, but i failed to see how it affected anything in the very end, seeing as i didn't play through twice. Multiplayer was promised...but it was limited and felt like you were trying to play multiplayer Diablo on one computer...not to mention the henchman thing sucked, as in you couldn't show off your cool gear to other people unless you switched who was hosting...and even then, comparison was hard...not to mention, i didn't ask for multiplayer...i would have been fine without it the side-quests, oh they were a joke. there were very few, they were easy, didn't have much a point and often didn't give you much that you didn't already have better than. a lot of the amazing stuff could be found anyways or through a promotion or summat. lastly, the real-estate. it was a good idea, but i found it a pain to have to manage each one separately, and by the time i got around to each, i found myself forgetting what i was going to put there i mean i'm an RPG guy but this is ridiculous...if you're a casual RPG player or a guy who usually plays shooters or summat, then this is for you, and there are prolly a lot of hardcore RPG players out there but it wasn't my cup of tea a lot of people love Fable, i didn't (and for the record, i'm not hating on MS, i played the hell out of Halo and Gears) and also, OP asked for someone to say something bad...so i did ^_^johnmatthais
For a moment there i thought i was the only one who saw the same thing you just mentioned. I really wanted to like this game, because i'm a big FABLE fan but man i just couldn't keep me satisfided. This was suppose to be Lionhead's first game on the xbox 360 and after seeing OBLIVION they should have been more detailed.The side quest are so boring,it left me wandering around trying to find something more challening to do. Some of the spells were just to simple and wasn't nothing new. Overall i think it is a good game but i really expected much much more from LIONHEAD.
scfan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 scfan3
Member since 2004 • 3325 Posts
I liked it at first, but half way through the story I lost interest and sold it as soon as I finished it. It lacked something, but I can't put my finger on it.
2pac_makaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 2pac_makaveli
Member since 2008 • 1681 Posts
fable 2 is great and a game i spent many many hours on and still come back to in between games, dont know why u desise it so much
Knoxfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Knoxfett
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I don't understand. Can't some people like the game and some people not like it without argument. Everyone should like what they like without worrying what everyone else will think.
Witters180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Witters180
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Just like to add my opinion. I liked it because of several reasons: I am totally new to gaming and like the RPG games more than others. However, for someone fairly new, most of the RPG games are really hard - as in you get killed off every 5 minutes or so. I know the majority of players like the challenge right from the word go, but I don't. I don't want to walk right into trouble and have to start afresh. I want to enjoy the game, and those games that take you to dark dungeons where you have to be a skilled user of the controls to fight anything off is not for me. Don't get me wrong, part of every game is set out so as you can't complete it in a day, but I also don't want frustration to be a challenge over enjoyment. It is an easy game, but it has humour. In that respect it is entertaining. It also bridges the gap between children's games and those like Oblivion which I am trying now. However, because of the ease of game play in Fable 2, I am finding Oblivion a little hard. All in all Fable 2 is a great game for players like me and what we want from the game.
Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

I like it because I loved the first one. Fable is what got me into RPG's with choices (not like Zelda, Devil May Cry etc). The second one to me, although the story lacks depth, the creative freedom and character possibilities are what I really like. The only faults that annoy me are faults the first Fable had: too short a story line, no way of dying, combat too easy and not enough variation between non-legendary weapons (the legendary weapons I think are a brilliant idea). The fact there there is so much to do outside of the main story is also what I love- a lot of games have linear story lines that once you complete, there's nothing to do. At least with this game its not essential that you stick to the main storyline. To complete everything requires at least 60 hours of gameplay.

If you don't like Fable fair enough, it has a very unique style of gameplay that not everybody can adjust to.

phynixblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 phynixblack
Member since 2007 • 1113 Posts

I remember going into the game wanting to do nothing more then my favorite thing. Treasure Hunting. When I play MMO, when I play free roam RPG, I Treasure hunt and scavenge endlessly trying to both look nice and have a collection I can boast about to freinds.

Wanna know were the helmet of not getting ownedis? I know.

Want the Bow of extremely pointless gore sequences? I can tell yah.

How bout that Ogre slaying dagger? The +9 against Ogres one. I can get you that in a blink.

That how I like to play things like that. It's fun to know were everything is. Fable 2 both did and did not deliver a fullfulling experience to me all at once. Treasure worth having was few and far in between and sadly once again the game left itself in a situation were a specific weapon type made ALL other weapons absolutely pointless. Even the Diachi, the one non-DLC weapon worth having, was a damn Katana. They couldn't be bothered to make an ultimate weapon of every type.

Clothing was poor to me. Not that there wasn't some good looking stuff, but there just wasn't enough types. You have a poor, a mid-class and a Rich suit. IF you buy the rich suit you are set for the rest of the game. This is crap. They should have made MORE clothes with bad/medium/good stats to give the players some diversity. They expected their bright, eyesore dyes to solve that. I never use anything but blood red, white, black and tan since the rest looked like crap to me. So many strange clothes that look like crap when you try to use a customization system that the game swears is great.

Great game, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth as I realised all the issues I had are related to things that should have been done that probably weren't just becaus ehtey can remedy it in a paid DLC.

skelebull3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 skelebull3000
Member since 2004 • 2724 Posts

RPG's are my favorite genre and I enjoyed Fable 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts

Plenty of people didn't like it, probably because they didn't understand the type of RPG the original Fable was because they hadn't played it.

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#38 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

Fable 2 is a very enjoyable game, not worthy of a purchase but still a good game & don't even try to deny that.

gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts
its a lot of fun in my opinion, so i loved it
sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts

I thought the game was great, for several reasons. First, the game looked good, it actually had more colors than brown and muzzle-flash. Next, it had good, funny dialogue. The big thing for me was that it worked everything into a cohesive, charming whole.

For people that complain about combat, I've found that it can be as deep and awesome as you make it. You can make an overpowered will user, or have more fun and split melee and ranged, jump into combat and reap foes.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

Out of all the games I have purchased in the last three years Fable 2 is the only one I wanted to play again and again. It might be a little easy but IMO it better than being to hard. I usually give up after about 70 tries, wonder why the game designers don't put in a I give up option for some really hard boss battles. Just to let everyone know I'm not as quick as i use to be, I will be 59 years old this years.

Zach68486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 Zach68486
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
I agree. I didn't like Fable 2 at all.