Who thinks there should be an eng subbed [with jap voicing] for FFXIII?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HeartS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HeartS0ul
Member since 2010 • 31 Posts
Ok, those who have anything to say about this, feel free to agree, disagree and post your thoughts. Well, I own an Xbox 360, and that's really sad because 1) It's released 3 months later 2) There's only the english dubbed version 3) Worse quality? The file is compressed... 4) It's rumoured to have more than 1 disc. 2 if I'm not wrong. Ok. So Square Enix has decided, thankfully, to make an Xbox 360 version. But it's in full english. English dubbed. I'm pretty sure many of you will agree that japanese sounds better than english. And sadly, what I don't understand is that Square "assumed" that the audiences would prefer full english. And EVEN went through the trouble of making a full english version, dubbed. That is a lot of trouble if you don't know because, its not as simple as changing the commands from kanji to english, but they have to reprogram the CGI for the lips, and record and add the english voices. And that's a lot of work. That is appreciated of course. But I think a great amount of the audience wants it in Japanese voicing. It's pretty easy to say that it would be much easier for Square to just save time, keep the japanese, change the commands into english and add the eng subs. I think many people would prefer that than to dub the whole thing. That's my thoughts at least. And I'm writing this in a Xbox user perspective, so try not to blame me. I only have a 360 you see. Any thoughts, please share. Thanks.
luke89330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 luke89330
Member since 2005 • 351 Posts

Agree, I would much much prefer Japanese voice with English subs. Like Lost Odyssey, it made it a more suiting experience when I play it with Japanese voices. Due to I watch some anime and have asian culture (I'm Chinese). But if people dont watch anime at all, or not a hardcore "experience/feel" type player, they would prefer an easy and direct way of recieving messages from the game, and that is english voice, avoiding unwanted subtitles displaying on the screen. Of course many people here at gamespot may agree with you and me, but those who are not hardcore enough has a larger population and they rarely go on game boards.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I prefer English since I don't understand Japanese.

Though I guess those who like Final Fantasy are different .

oUndauntedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 oUndauntedo
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts

I'm pretty sure they could easily include an option to turn on japanese audio w/ subtitles for FFXIII if they really wanted to, here's hoping they will. I know a lot of people don't understand Japanese, but from what I've seen (trailers, mostly) of FFXIII the english dub is terrible.

pooyanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 pooyanh
Member since 2005 • 937 Posts
Japanese voice and English subs would be perfect, yes.
HeartS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HeartS0ul
From what I heard, there isn't going to be any multiple dialogue change. Which is really sad. But there are rumours that there is a language setting for PS3. I use the 360 however. BTW I'm asian too. ^^
willxcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 willxcool
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts
yeah i agree it would be awesomenes to have it like that
XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

I HATE dubbing! SO where im from, I watch TV and I see a good movie is on and guess what? Its dubbed in German and I cant watch it. Ok games arent the same thing but yeah, i'd agree that original voice acting would sound better. I'd love to have Japanese voices instead of English.

About the DVD thing, Mass Effect is having 2 DVD's, Star Ocean: The Last Hope had 3, didnt some other game have 4? Im thinging FFXII will have 3 or 4. Personally I dont mind, I actually want more :) At least i get a feeling that im getting more for my money. oh and the box should be nice and heavy :D

HeartS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HeartS0ul
Actually, I think that 360 having the extra discs means that the whole game, FFXIII, is on separate discs and you have to change them to continue. Whereas the PS3 has the whole game on one disc.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
PS3 version is also 3 months later outside of Japan, also no Japanese dub. Compression doesn't necessarily make it worse and PS3 uses compression too (not as good as 360 though), and 360 version will use more than one disc. Anyway I agree that Japanese sounds better, but usually I still turn it off and use English.
MR_NONSTOP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MR_NONSTOP
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts

If this was a movie I would hate the dubbing but for a game it seems more appropriate for us to use English. I think sometimes people who like anime can obsess too much over Japanese culture and their language. I always think the English voices sound cheesy but then again so does the Japanese in the trailers of the game, the dialogue rarely feels natural. I'm still excited about the game the battle system and transitions into fights look great.

HeartS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HeartS0ul
You guys might find this interesting. Here is an article that I just read by Kotaku. Here's the site: http://kotaku.com/5033117/final-fantasy-xiii-xbox-360-asia-version-announced In other words, there's gonna be a FFXIII asian version for Xbox 360. But it says here: Edit: The audio for this particular 360 asian version may include the original *** audio, while in Chinese/Korean/English subtitles. Alternatively, the game could have english audio with Chinese/Korean subs. Interesting and fortunate news for some. It is stated that it may be possible for the asian version to be in eng/*** [hopefully ***] with maybe eng subs. Good news. However, its not stated when its out yet. Hmmmm....
XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

You guys might find this interesting. Here is an article that I just read by Kotaku. Here's the site: http://kotaku.com/5033117/final-fantasy-xiii-xbox-360-asia-version-announced In other words, there's gonna be a FFXIII asian version for Xbox 360. But it says here: Edit: The audio for this particular 360 asian version may include the original *** audio, while in Chinese/Korean/English subtitles. Alternatively, the game could have english audio with Chinese/Korean subs. Interesting and fortunate news for some. It is stated that it may be possible for the asian version to be in eng/*** [hopefully ***] with maybe eng subs. Good news. However, its not stated when its out yet. Hmmmm....HeartS0ul
Interesting, I just might buy it. Asian versions are usually cheaper, right now I have 3 and the only difference is that the title and manual are in chinese (english too - manuals are nice and heavy) - and of course Chinese subs.

Asian version preview: 123

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts
Japanese voice and English subs would be perfect, yes.pooyanh
that would be awesome
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#15 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I'll agree that Japanese voice overs are better than English on most occasions. But honestly, I could have it either way. I'd play it with Japanese and English. English mostly, though; I hate always having to read subtitles.
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Could care less honestly.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I'll agree that Japanese voice overs are better than English on most occasions. But honestly, I could have it either way. I'd play it with Japanese and English. English mostly, though; I hate always having to read subtitles.orb_03_2006
Indeed, though I always put them on in case I miss something or misunderstood something they said.
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
why the hell would you want to hear people speak another language? and be forced to read subtitles while hearin words you have no idea what they mean? no thanks