What would you do...if you were me?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dswiderski223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dswiderski223
Member since 2007 • 112 Posts

Got an xbox 360..it is a launch day console..it forsure broke on me the other day. I got the red lights of death on it and I do not have warranty on it. This is my problem tho..If i send it in to MS they will fix it for me for me when i pay the 160 bucks or whatever. Then when i get it back i will never have warranty on that system again because the sticker is ripped off because I went in earlier and cleaned it expecting to fix it myself which im stupid for but i just freaked out when it broke. Or else i can wait for the elite to come out and buy that brand new and get the exteneded warranty from bestbuy of 2 yrs. I have a 61inch hdtv with hdmi port. So the elite system would be great for me. What would you do? Wait for elite or send in to MS with out havnig waaranty again??

Bladecutter56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bladecutter56
Member since 2006 • 2081 Posts
If I were you, with that little HDMI port, I'd just wait for the Elite. Now, since I'm me, and my Xbox broke two or three days ago, I turned Emo and I'm now slitting my wrists in the corner. :(
dswiderski223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dswiderski223
LMAO what are you going to do now?
Romayo83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 126

#4 Romayo83
Member since 2006 • 267 Posts

shoulda bought it from WAL-MART and kept the receipt ;)

remember the HDMI is only worth it if your TV supports 1080p resolution!

FallinSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FallinSoldier
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

That's a good question. It all depends on the time until the Elite comes out, if it's within a month I would end up waiting and just buy it so I could basically have more memory, and a 2-year warranty. When does the Elite come out? That's the main concern on the time, if you are a hardcore gamer then you might as well just send in the old one and get no warranty.

JJ4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JJ4545
Member since 2006 • 3015 Posts
Considering that you can buy the new HD separately from the Elite, and that the HDMI is only worth it if you've got a 1080p TV, I'd just buy a regular 360.
dswiderski223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dswiderski223
I have 1080p on my HDTV tho..I did purchase mine at walmart but I lost the receipt ...kicking myself!
JJ4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JJ4545
Member since 2006 • 3015 Posts

I have 1080p on my HDTV tho..I did purchase mine at walmart but I lost the receipt ...kicking myself!dswiderski223

Just get the normal one. 

Gimp_Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gimp_Shard
Member since 2006 • 104 Posts

I'm not sure if they would fix the console since the sticker is gone but that might just be for warranty reasons... anyways, I  heard from a friend that it is possible to fix the problem yourself but you would have to take your 360 apart (which you already did)... not sure how/what/where/when but you could probably google it and if willing to take the risk try it out.

dswiderski223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dswiderski223
yeah without killing myself hey? lol
jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

shoulda bought it from WAL-MART and kept the receipt ;)

Romayo83

Naw, its actually more worth it if you also have a primo surround sound system and your whole setup would benefit from HDMI, mostly in easy of setup and clutter.  A huge screen tv and 1080p is nice to have with HDMI, but its not the only reason.

Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

Romayo83

How do you figure? You'll certainly reap the benefits of a digital signal at lower resolutions. My PC monitor does support 1080p resolution, but still looks a great deal better with DVI than VGA. I wish people would stop perpetuating these things.

Wait for the Elite. For $80 more, It'd be worth it IMO. 

dswiderski223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dswiderski223
my setup has everythin with the surround sound and high def th only thing i need is a new couch lol
bluntiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bluntiss
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts
Hey don't tell anyone.  lol.    All you have to do is go to best buy or any retailer, buy one and switch the consoles.  Swithc all the stickers off, sku, identification etc and vala you ahve a new system.  :)
dswiderski223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dswiderski223
o wow that is right hey!?
kintzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 kintzer
Member since 2003 • 806 Posts

Here is what I did.  My 360 died about a month ago (just before the Elite was officially announced).  I had heard the Elite rumors but could not decide what to do.  Because I did not want to sit and wait for my 360 to be repaired or for the Elite release, I bought a core and used my old HDD.  I also bought a 2-year warranty with my core.  Aside from the waiting issue, even though I have a 56" 1080p HDTV, I chose not to get an Elite because VGA outputs 1080p and because there will be no way initially to transfer your current HDD info to the new 120gb HDD.  I have to admit, the novelty of the Elite is tempting, but, really, the Elite was made, IMO, for those absolutely obsessed with having the most up-to-date technology and for those who have yet to purchase and Xbox 360.  I do not fall into either of those two categories.  Sound quality aside, VGA and HDMI 1080p will be tough to distinguish between.  If you are using optical connections for sound, HDMI will do little to enhance your experience anyway.  There may be a tiny difference, but the question you need to ask yourself is, is the difference significant enough to warrant the purchase?  If it is, then get it.  If it's not, then I would advise you to against it.  Just my opinion for what it's worth. 

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

Well since you are pretty much forced into buying a new one, since MS will charge you for the repairs, and may not even do that because you decided to fix it yourself, I'd get an Elite.  It will be available at the end of the month, and for $79 dollars more you get HDMI, a black console, 100 gigs more and a console that not many people will have.

If it was a matter of waiting 4 months for the Elite I'd say get a Premium, but since the wait is only 16 days, you might as well sit quiet for a couple weeks.

Plus if extra storage is concern it makes more sense to get the Elite just for having the 120GB HDD.

dswiderski223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dswiderski223
yeah exactly. or i can go there today...get a premium..then go home set up the newone,..take my broke one...swtich the stickers and everything put it back in the new box i baugfht the 360 from today and be like i just decided i did not want it ne more and i w ill have a reciept right??? good idea..
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

Man, you got a couple of misunderstandings in your head right now:

1) Microsoft doesn't fix your 360, they send you a refurbished unit.

2) When your refurbished 360 arrives, you'll get a letter saying your warranty was renewed (1 whole year)

dswiderski223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dswiderski223
if you open your xbox 360 tho which i did it voids warranty forever dude
alayeesquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 alayeesquire
Member since 2005 • 835 Posts

Here is what I did. My 360 died about a month ago (just before the Elite was officially announced). I had heard the Elite rumors but could not decide what to do. Because I did not want to sit and wait for my 360 to be repaired or for the Elite release, I bought a core and used my old HDD. I also bought a 2-year warranty with my core. Aside from the waiting issue, even though I have a 56" 1080p HDTV, I chose not to get an Elite because VGA outputs 1080p and because there will be no way initially to transfer your current HDD info to the new 120gb HDD. I have to admit, the novelty of the Elite is tempting, but, really, the Elite was made, IMO, for those absolutely obsessed with having the most up-to-date technology and for those who have yet to purchase and Xbox 360. I do not fall into either of those two categories. Sound quality aside, VGA and HDMI 1080p will be tough to distinguish between. If you are using optical connections for sound, HDMI will do little to enhance your experience anyway. There may be a tiny difference, but the question you need to ask yourself is, is the difference significant enough to warrant the purchase? If it is, then get it. If it's not, then I would advise you to against it. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

kintzer

Great advice here. 

lukeymonw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lukeymonw
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts
Just a little aside question. Some of you mentioned that if you bought the machine at Wal Mart and kept the receipt you could take it back. Is this true? I bought mine there and have the receipt. My 360 if fine but if it ever gives me problems is that the case?
DrewBlood08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DrewBlood08
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts

2) When your refurbished 360 arrives, you'll get a letter saying your warranty was renewed (1 whole year)

gp19

I believe you have misunderstandings as well.  First off they don't always send you a refurbished unit.  With MS's recent decision to better their repair center, they said they would avoid sending refurbished units and try to fix the one you send in.  I serve as a perfect example because when my first 360 broke I got a refurbished one.  That one broke recently and I got the same one back.  I believe you only get a 90 warranty on the fixed one as well, but I could be wrong.

slicnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 slicnick
Member since 2003 • 188 Posts
i thought microsoft added an additional year to the waranty?
HellBentJE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HellBentJE
Member since 2006 • 139 Posts
If you're Walmart is the same as the Walmart in my area you can take it back even without the receipt. As long as you have the box it came in, just take it back, tell them what isn't working on it and tell them you want another one that works. You should be able to swap it out no questions asked. I live in Louisiana, but I'm pretty sure all the Walmarts have the same return policy. If you don't have a receipt you can't get your money back, but you can exchange your broken item for a new one that works. Just don't tell them how long it's been since you bought it and you're good. It's all because of their Satisfaction Guaranteed policy. I've done this an uncountable number of times and I doubt they'll give you a hard time as long as your xbox is cleaned up. I doubt they'll even really look at your system. I haven't had to return my 360 to them, but I've done it with a playstation, playstation 2, numerous cheap PC controllers, and a bunch of other random sh** that didn't work the way it should after I had thrown away the receipts. Give it a try, you don't have nothing to lose.
slicnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 slicnick

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168544.html?q=xbox 360 warranty

here ya go

alkaline_DnB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 alkaline_DnB
Member since 2006 • 1816 Posts
i've heard some crazy wal-mart stories where you can give them a toaster that broke 5 years ago that you didn't even buy from them and they'll let you exchange it without a receipt.  i really don't think they care as long as the product has a box.
dswiderski223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dswiderski223
yeah im going to try that...do you think if i did send it in to MS they will give me a 1 yr warranty still because mine has no warranty left and it was broken into
slicnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 slicnick

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168544.html?q=xbox 360 warranty

ya

Gamemaker promises free shipping and faster repairs, extra one-year commitment on out-of-warranty services.

Oni_Ookami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Oni_Ookami
Member since 2005 • 2765 Posts
If you have the money you might do better with an Elite. Though the Elite wont be out for a while so you'll be out a system tell then.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11941 Posts
I would've suggested sending it in but since you have a 61" HDTV(is it 1080p?) with an HDMI port, my suggestion is to get the Elite.
dswiderski223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dswiderski223
i will probably just go to MS
Avatar image for Goldeneyemaster
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Goldeneyemaster
Member since 2003 • 6906 Posts

Romayo83

I don't know where everybody got this idea...

ANY HD resolution will benefit from HDMI, since it is an uncompressed digital signal as opposed to the analog signal of standard composite and component.

YourLastDay86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 YourLastDay86
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
If you got the $$$ I'd say wait for the elite due to your HD arrangements. But if you do have the $$$ why not just go get an entirely new non-elite console and save like what $200??? Microsoft is notorious for its spotty repairs at times. I've heard horror stories that would make me want to go on a baby punching rampage...
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
[QUOTE="gp19"]

DrewBlood08

I believe you have misunderstandings as well. First off they don't always send you a refurbished unit. With MS's recent decision to better their repair center, they said they would avoid sending refurbished units and try to fix the one you send in. I serve as a perfect example because when my first 360 broke I got a refurbished one. That one broke recently and I got the same one back. I believe you only get a 90 warranty on the fixed one as well, but I could be wrong.

Ok let me rephrase then... When MY 360 broke, I got a refurbished unit, with it, a letter saying I had a new warranty of 1 year. That was dec 06 BTW 

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

If you got the $$$ I'd say wait for the elite due to your HD arrangements. But if you do have the $$$ why not just go get an entirely new non-elite console and save like what $200??? Microsoft is notorious for its spotty repairs at times. I've heard horror stories that would make me want to go on a baby punching rampage...YourLastDay86

Ummmm, save like $80 to be exact, which pretty much makes it a steal for the extra storage space.