What style of RPG do you like ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SpArKs424
Member since 2010 • 2203 Posts

i know for me i've tried all types JRPG , Action RPG , WRPG MMORPG , but one stood out to me personally . Now it just might be cause im a huge Sci Fi nut i love the genre.

Mass effect Series in a whole so far has been phenomenal, i love the races , interacting with NPCs when i can just learning more about this Universe . i Feel like someone who just saw star wars for the first time in 77 . the story is great i actually care and grow to like these characters i dont want to see certain ones die . and yeah ME2 didnt have that RPG depth we wanted / that i wanted but the story is still intact and that is what really Drives the experiance of mass effect .

what makes a good RPG for you ?

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I like having rich enemies. THey make the combat more fun and a replay able. JRPG have the richest enemies out there.

Mass Effect 2 follow them a little but some call Mass Effect 2 a RPG lite.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
I can't stand JRPGs. I love the Mass Effect series.
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

action RPG like baldurs gate and Marval Alliance

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SpArKs424
Member since 2010 • 2203 Posts

I like having rich enemies. THey make the combat more fun and a replay able. JRPG have the richest enemies out there.

wiouds

Agreed not a Fan of JRPGs but they do have the most Unique creatures to fight . ME2 was a RPG lite not much depth ME1 had a Good leveling tree just needed to Be cleaned up a bit not scrapped like they did in ME2 . but like i said its more about the story in Mass effect . Another RPG i like is Oblivion it was Great lots to do huge world i liked how you had to maintain your armor .

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Turn-based JRPGs are my favorite but I like them all. I do love strategy RPGs though but sadly I haven't played many of those so it isn't my favorite.

vrizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 vrizzle
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

i dont play rpg's at all, but whats a jrpg

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 craigalan23

i dont play rpg's at all, but whats a jrpg

vrizzle
Japanese Role-Playing game.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#9 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

During the early years of my existance, i started playing JRPGs. It was a fact that majority of the RPGs back then were Japanese, so i was playing whatever was popular. Games like Phantasy Star, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 1,2,4, Terranigma etc..were nothing short of amazing. A little later in time came the genre-defining Final Fantasy VII. This RPG was my absolute favorite - great story, characters etc...It was simply amazing!

Then came this particular group of gamers that were prompting me to try Fallout 1 and then 2 but i never did (well, until recently). So as one could conclude, when i was younger i was enjoying JRPGs for the most part. Having played and finished Final Fantasy 13 and more recently Resonance of Fate, i have come to a conclusion (no kidding, everybody knows this) that JRPGs have not changed much since the early 90s (except graphics and very minor gameplay changes)

As i am growing older however, i tend to prefer WRPGs (action RPGs to be precise). As i mature more and more, i found it hard to enjoy a japanese RPG nowadays. This is not JRPG's fault however. They have a distinct style and art that no other games have and we should not try to "westernize" them. They have their audiences and followers and there is nothing wrong with that. But as i mentioned earlier i can't get involved in one nowadays.Games like the Fallout series (especially 3) , Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect are games that have more mature content in them. And by that i dont mean more blood or language, but just the gameplay, the characters, the missions, the whole feel about them is more mature. You can kind of relate yourself with those characters, you can feel their psychological state, you can sense feelings and aspects of life that only a more mature gamer (understand "older") would understand.

So nowadays i prefer and enjoy WRPGs more (simply because my style has changed), even though i know people who are older than me, who still play Star Ocean, Chrono Cross, Valkarye Chronicles etc...

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
i too loved mass effect series. Have you ever tried the kotor games ? if you liked mass effect story wise you should like them. The first game was written by the same lead writer.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
My favorite are open ended RPGs with dynamic story and lots of loot and dialogue like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Neverwinter Nights and Siege of Avalon. I also like more linear and story heavy games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Rise of the Argonauts. Despite trying multiple times, I haven't been able to enjoy any JRPG for years now, exception made for Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata. I'm not interested in MMORPGs
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 craigalan23
My favorite are open ended RPGs with dynamic story and lots of loot and dialogue like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Neverwinter Nights and Siege of Avalon. I also like more linear and story heavy games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Rise of the Argonauts. Despite trying multiple times, I haven't been able to enjoy any JRPG for years now, exception made for Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata. I'm not interested in MMORPGsBlack_Knight_00
Have you tried Resonance of Fate or Tales of Vesperia yet? Both of those are just plain amazing.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
somewhat of an RPG, I love the Monster Hunter series. I hope we se a western release of MH Frontier.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Any and all, basically. This gen has been particularly good for RPGs - particularly of the WRPG variety, which more or less took a break last gen outside of Morrowind. We've got Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, and the Mass Effect games covering that side, and covering everything from third person action to turn-based party combat. Then we've got great JRPGs from Lost Odyssey to Tales of Vesperia, and decent little nuggets in the middle like Blue Dragon. The only type of RPG I have less patience for than others is the SRPG - particularly JSRPGs, if that's technically a genre. I'm thinking of unbearably obtuse and grind-heavy games like Disgaea. Or abominations on the 360 like Operation Darkness.
KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
i like both but i prefer WRPG's
red-ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 red-ray
Member since 2008 • 882 Posts
Good story, lots of content and multiple choices.
MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

2D Turn based rpg games old school son. NES man.

vp22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vp22
Member since 2008 • 1443 Posts
mass effect is the only rpg i play, but cant wait to try fallout :)
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]My favorite are open ended RPGs with dynamic story and lots of loot and dialogue like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Neverwinter Nights and Siege of Avalon. I also like more linear and story heavy games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Rise of the Argonauts. Despite trying multiple times, I haven't been able to enjoy any JRPG for years now, exception made for Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata. I'm not interested in MMORPGscraigalan23
Have you tried Resonance of Fate or Tales of Vesperia yet? Both of those are just plain amazing.

So I've heard. Yes, I should definitely pick up Vesperia.
shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I prefer RPG's with shooting elements (Mass Effect, Fallout 3). I can't stand JRPGs
Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#22 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts

I like RPG-shooter hybrids.

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts

What ever style the Mass Effect series fall under, and what ever Fallout 3 falls under.

Oniresurrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24 Oniresurrect
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts

I like an RPG that is heavily customizable it needs gear that changes the look of you or your teem I also like turn based much more then I will ever enjoy a free combat RPG. In a turn based game it seems like you have to plan more and that your enemy poses an actual challenge unlike most of the JRPG free action type of fights you get now where you only take command of 1 of the teem members and set auto attacks for the others. playing a single player RPG is fun for free combat and that's about it.

SpideySenze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SpideySenze
Member since 2010 • 77 Posts

mmorpg world of warcraft perferbaly

Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts

i know for me i've tried all types JRPG , Action RPG , WRPG MMORPG , but one stood out to me personally . Now it just might be cause im a huge Sci Fi nut i love the genre.

Mass effect Series in a whole so far has been phenomenal, i love the races , interacting with NPCs when i can just learning more about this Universe . i Feel like someone who just saw star wars for the first time in 77 . the story is great i actually care and grow to like these characters i dont want to see certain ones die . and yeah ME2 didnt have that RPG depth we wanted / that i wanted but the story is still intact and that is what really Drives the experiance of mass effect .

what makes a good RPG for you ?

SpArKs424

When i was younger i used to like the JRPG turn based games like final fantasy but nowadays i really like the western rpgs like mass effect.

I do play my fair share of World of warcraft as well.

Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts

I can only play WRPG's. For some reason, I just cannot play JRPG's.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

wiouds
That's just proof that you like many, have no idea what an RPG is. Anyway I am a bigger fan of WRPG, because they put a much heavier emphasis on the actual role playing part, JRPG often focus too much on elements that really have no bearing on whether a game is an RPG or not like stats and loot.
Nemesis4747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nemesis4747
Member since 2004 • 1104 Posts

western style like Neverwinter or Knights of the old Republic

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#30 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

I use to be more particular to jrpgs but the ones for this console generation have been awful at large. The only ones I've liked thus far are Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia. I generally don't like wrpgs but I've really enjoyed the Mass Effect games and Fable II.

I guess at the moment I can't say I like any particular style. I just pick and choose what I think are best. I don't like the kind that sacrifice presentation and good gameplay for the sake of variety and expansive worlds. I prefer focused and polished gameplay and slick looking graphics and animation.

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

I'm more a turn-based RPG person but as long as the story is addictive and the gameplay good i'm open to any kind of RPGs. Like recently, i wasn't into SRPG, then i tried Record of Agarest War and i love it.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
i like east and west rpgs
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
I prefer RPG's like Mass effect, although i enjoy the odd fable title :P
Big-Shamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Big-Shamrock
Member since 2010 • 688 Posts
Action RPG.
Jachael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jachael
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

I really enjoy Turn Based Strategy RPG's, a la Final Fantasy Tactics or Valkyria Chronicles. One could argue that VC is RPG lite, but thats fine by me.

Assassin_73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Assassin_73
Member since 2008 • 165 Posts

im with action and shooting rpg.cant stand with jrpg!

fatooosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 866

#37 fatooosh
Member since 2009 • 979 Posts

all style of rpg i like

DBIZMO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 DBIZMO
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts
I'm not into the RPG series that much
dissembled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dissembled
Member since 2003 • 357 Posts

I love Western RPGs that allow you to shape the storyline and influence other characters in some significant way. Such games usually include Bioware RPGs including Mass Effect and Dragon Age. These are usually achieved through branching conversation options which I think every RPG should have. I also love WRPGs that allow you to explore these vast, open ended worlds.

Imagine an RPG that has all those things. Now that would be a freakin dream.

HughDawg03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 HughDawg03
Member since 2003 • 158 Posts

Definitely Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 have been my favorite so far. I have enjoyed Fallout and Oblivion a lot too though. I used to play the Final Fantasy games, but I'm not as into those as I used to be.

jad206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jad206
Member since 2009 • 1821 Posts

I love an action RPG. I mean, I enjoy the story, but if the combat isn't good I can't get into it. Mass Effect was probably a great game, but the shooting got me out of it and I stopped playing it. Where as Oblivion, Fallout 3, Demon's Souls, all of these games were RPG's with GREAT gameplay.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
action rpgs
gedbyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gedbyz
Member since 2009 • 604 Posts

WRPGs like fallout 3, Oblivion, and maybe Mass Effect if i can ever find the time to get it

wangtao01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wangtao01
Member since 2010 • 100 Posts
I just pick and choose what I think are best. I don't like the kind that sacrifice presentation and good gameplay for the sake of variety and expansive worlds.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#46 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I prefer WRPG's but Lost Odyssey was the last great JRPG that I played and enjoyed.
Kazincski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kazincski
Member since 2010 • 95 Posts

spellforce, NWN, titan quest, diablo, etc etc