What is the most overhyped game of all time?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

belrock86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 belrock86
Member since 2008 • 234 Posts

My most overhyped game of all time would have to be Too Human game was constantly delayed and when it came out I thought it was going to be good but turned out to be one of the worst games I have ever played.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

GTA4... awesome game... but the developers and reviewers treated it like the second coming of Christ or something... it had an awesome storyline... but the MP was horrible and it had very little to do in it other than the story... so little replay value...

belrock86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 belrock86

above post is pretty funny.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

Halo 3

and

Ass ass man's Creed

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Too Human, Halo 3, GTA4 (Best GTA IMO but it didn't deserve all the hype), MGS4 (great game but often times it felt rushed)

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#6 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts

GTA4... awesome game... but the developers and reviewers treated it like the second coming of Christ or something... it had an awesome storyline... but the MP was horrible and it had very little to do in it other than the story... so little replay value...

Squeets
I don't know about you but free mode with pedestrians is just a blast. Taking rampages + friends online was the best thing Rockstar ever did.
laughlyn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 laughlyn12
Member since 2003 • 500 Posts

Halo 3.

It had a Mountain Dew flavor, the first commercial premiered during Monday Night Football, the game was sold at convenience stores all of which are pretty much unprecidented.

Worst of all was the reaction when the multi-player beta launch was delayed by a few hours... the amount of coverage and hysteria around a few hour delay was insane.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

Squeets
Where you around for the Vice City and GTA: SA hype? It was just as bad, and we keep we fall for it every time
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

Toriko42

I don't know about you but free mode with pedestrians is just a blast. Taking rampages + friends online was the best thing Rockstar ever did.

Yeah, but that is just one aspect of it...

belrock86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 belrock86

I actually thought GTA 4 live up to the hype I also agree Halo 3 was massively overhyped and is one of the worst games I have ever played if it wasn't for multiplayer it would be in the bargain bin at your local best buy or wal-mart.

Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hotwire246
Member since 2004 • 848 Posts
Surely Halo 3 has been in the bargain bin for a while now? It's good though. GTAIV is amazing. Much better than San Andreas which tbh was pretty poop compared to III and Vice City. I think San Andreas was the most overhyped game. Possibly Halo 2 also...
Toxic8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 Toxic8
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

I think that the original fable is one of the most.or the new one.Co-op was supposed to be the bomb in fable2 but imo it isnt.An orb flying around in online co-op,what is that?And the orignal fable was toooooo short,i beat it in 8 hrs or so.They were good games,but way overhyped.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

Surely Halo 3 has been in the bargain bin for a while now? It's good though. GTAIV is amazing. Much better than San Andreas which tbh was pretty poop compared to III and Vice City. I think San Andreas was the most overhyped game. Possibly Halo 2 also...Hotwire246

San Andreas is my favorite GTA game

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

probably Too Human.

although Mario Galaxy was overhyped imho as well. although that wasnt a 360 game :P

LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts
Halo 3
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

above post is pretty funny.

belrock86

...Funny because it's true.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#17 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts

[QUOTE="Toriko42"][QUOTE="Squeets"]

Squeets

Yeah, but that is just one aspect of it...

And it is an aspect that for me has proven infinitely replayable Other modes are also a fair bit of fun but the game has replay value.
RabbiRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RabbiRambo
Member since 2007 • 108 Posts

HALO, HALO3....Haven`t played HALO2 but if i had i think i would have included it as well.

gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts
halo3 but i love the game. i had hopes for gta4..almost shot myself xD
orbis_mortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 orbis_mortis
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts
Halo 3. It was good but it was not as good as the hype. It could have been so much better.
theSickness550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 theSickness550
Member since 2005 • 283 Posts
im not a sony hater but killzone 2 was so ridiculously over hyped. the campaign is short and its story is pretty much non existant. dont get me wrong the game looked amazing and the fire fights were sometimes awsome, but with no narative pushing these events forward they just dont matter. the multiplayer followed a similar pattern . at first it felt new and fresh, but by the end of the first week it had gotten so repetitive it was boring.
stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Probably any game made in this time, they all turn out to be a dissapointment yet people get overhyped for them. Killzone 2 as theSickness550 said is one of many of the games the turn out pointless.
phynixblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 phynixblack
Member since 2007 • 1113 Posts

Spore

This game was treated and hyped to be some massively amazing, one of a kind, ultimate game experience. They said it would be rooted in science. They said it had awesome customization. They said it was long.

Screw EA. They not only lied endlessly about what they were selling, they witheld enormous amounts of content for the sake of selling it to us in expansion packs. I remember a member of the Spore forum being banned for finding proof that the Creepy and Cute parts pack expansion way originally in the game, but removed before release. This new Galactic Eplorer crap should have been in the beggining product as well.

Also, watching earlier videos were they showed off the game, you see that they weren't lying then, the game comes out and you are almost playing something entirely different. None of the amazing customization from the videos is there, none of the super advanced creatures that moved in different ways depending on how their limbs were positioned.

Spore is the ultimate example of Overhyped. No one can honestly say differently when the facts line up.

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
That game was one of the most overhyped games ever. Spore. I really wanted that game when I first saw it, luckily I I couldn't get it when it first came out.
neversommer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 neversommer
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts
Just to name a few. Halo 2,Halo3,Halo Wars. GTA4 (Its good but aint the fun of san andreas) Planetside Unreal 2(Did not like it) Doom3 Star Wars the Force Unleashed World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King Brute Force There is more but cant think of them right now
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
Spore, Halo 2, Halo 3.
Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Halo 3RobboElRobbo

Avatar image for deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
deactivated-5f033ecf40fed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
Member since 2004 • 2665 Posts
Spore, no question. I played the whole game through in one sitting (I didn't complete the space phase, but whatever, it got boring fast). I couldn't believe I'd been waiting literally years for that game.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

HALO, HALO3....Haven`t played HALO2 but if i had i think i would have included it as well.

RabbiRambo
LOL how do u figure the first halo was overhyped?
VOW_Corvette55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 VOW_Corvette55
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Dude, just like in most series, Halo 1 was the best. The first Splinter Cell was the best as well when you go back and play it. Chaos theory was really good but not as good. anyways... i think that GTA4 was HUGE Hype when the expansion came out, it was all over the marketplace and you couldnt get away from it! i think fallout 3 was Underhyped
doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#31 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
Halo 3 dont get me wrong I love it, also GTA IV I found it boring as hell, GTA SA was a really funny game so I expected the same for the next
hyperkass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hyperkass
Member since 2009 • 938 Posts

Haze, but thats Ps3.

Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
Halo 3 to be honest. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game...but imo the worst in the series.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
frogger
SHiFTY_v4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SHiFTY_v4
Member since 2008 • 99 Posts
Lol, these threads are always pointless, because for one ...its just all opinion... and for two, you have fanboys everywhere. Like more than half of the people who say Halo is overhyped, have Gears of War as their last played game, haha. But back on topic, the Madden franchise is overhyped every year. EA makes terrible sports games, i rolled with 2K last year and the gameplay is wayyyy better. RabbitRambo is obviously a Halo hater, ..he said Halo 1 was overhyped. l o l.
Knightbringr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Knightbringr
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts

People are going to hate me for saying this, but "Link to the Past". It was just a let down for me, but I did it to myself because I read everything I could right before it came out at least 20 times because I was so excited. So, I guess it couldn't do anything but let me down. On the flip side, I think that "Ocarina of Time" is one of the best games ever and the Zelda series may be the best game series of all time.

Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts

GTA 4

boltzcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 boltzcom
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

Halo 3, enough said.

Coded12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Coded12
Member since 2007 • 323 Posts
Halo 3
hughami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 hughami
Member since 2009 • 1045 Posts
halo series.
Sgt_McMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sgt_McMuffin
Member since 2008 • 659 Posts

I would say Gears 2 or Fabe 2...both overhyped badly and disappointing to me in the end.

Avatar image for mysticgohanssj2
mysticgohanssj2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mysticgohanssj2
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts
Pokemon Diamond Pearl
chugachea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 chugachea
Member since 2008 • 736 Posts

Squeets
I agree with this 100% but I didnt really think the hype for Too Human was that big. Halo3 also had alot of hype, but i think that it delivered enough not to be a letdown.
XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#44 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

Would have to be Too Human. Years (many years) in the making, over the top advertising, and failed to meet all expectations. I'll be shocked if the sequel comes out. And ... I was smart enough not to buy it after playing the demo and realizing that it was, well, trash.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Daikatana.

On 360, both Halo and Grand Theft Auto had a crazy amount of advertising, but they both performed well, so I don't really see them as being overhyped.

Lol, these threads are always pointless, because for one ...its just all opinion...

SHiFTY_v4

Yet you're posting here.

Avatar image for Penalty_of_Hero
Penalty_of_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#46 Penalty_of_Hero
Member since 2009 • 196 Posts

Daikatana, Haze, Spore (alreasdy said), Maybe Hellgame. I think that if a game doesn't deliver what it has promissed then it's overhyped (hmm then most games are).

Solar_Arc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Solar_Arc
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Halo wars was pretty hyped up for no real reason it wasnt even that good....:S also killzone 2 or something :S, i havent played it its just thats all i ever see commercials for, so i automatically have to believe its over hyped. i see it almost every commercial break kinda annoying. (someone tell me if its actually any good cuz i do wanna know :P)
brittoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 brittoss
Member since 2004 • 1028 Posts

Would have to be Too Human. Years (many years) in the making, over the top advertising, and failed to meet all expectations. I'll be shocked if the sequel comes out. And ... I was smart enough not to buy it after playing the demo and realizing that it was, well, trash.

XCyberForceX

I would have gone with GoW 2 or Halo 3 as a first guess because of the anti climax that was boths single player components as I never play online in those games and can't judge them on that part but the above statement is exactly how I felt about Too Human.

I remember following that game since the late 90's on the PS1 through the Gamecube and then onto 360 development process but it wasn't until a short while before its release that I got worried that it wasn't looking good at all. The demo really killed it for me with Too Human as it wasn't fun when I played it and that stopped me buying the game.

Fogotmypantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Fogotmypantz
Member since 2005 • 821 Posts

Halo 3RobboElRobbo

Yup

Gadfly924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gadfly924
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Of all time is a bit of a loaded question. But as far as recent memory, for me at least, no doubt it's Fable 2. Making forward progress in the ridiculous story, I decided I would take a little break and go do some sidequests. After two days of sidequesting, I figured I'd move ahead in the main quest a little, and I accidentally beat the game!!!! Peter Molyneux is a huge smack-talker when it comes to hyping up his games, and people seem to be taken in by his charming British accent. Truth be told, Molyneux is a lot like a professional athlete: a lot of talking, muscle-flexing, gloating and flashing of the numbers, but when it comes to delivering, in regular situations and in the clutch, they both fall flat on their faces. I haven't played Fable 2 since I accidentally pushed the final boss (can't remember his name) off the ledge. I got so angry, that I chose to resurrect my family and my dog, just so I can take the frustration out on the dog. Most overhyped game of the past 10 years is Fable 2.