What games were you going to pass on and ended up liking

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 0

#1 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

I have a few games like this.

Alan Wake - I had no interest in this game but because it was "teh exclus1ve" I figured I would support them. Lucky for me, my inner fanboy paid off. The game is easily a 9.0 or higher.

Resonance of Fate - I had my eye on this then saw some early gameplay vids and for some reason didn't like it. Bought it after reading a review and put over 104 hours into it. Great game.

Borderlands - Friends bought it so I ended up getting it. They stopped playing before they reached level 25 I played it until I reached level 61.

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

FF13,Borderlands, & Fallout 3.

rwb79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 rwb79
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts
I agree with rp108 on Alan Wake. It's a GREAT game! I fear that it didn't sell as well as it should have because it came out the same day as rdr. I feel that was a bad move by Remedy. I sure hope it sold well enough for them to push forward with Alan Wake 2
BiThBhE0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BiThBhE0
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts
GRID - I was never really into car racing games but a few friends of mine bugged me until I picked it up. I ended up really enjoying it. We had so many fun times online that I'll never forget. Shadowrun - Another game my friends got me to pick up. It was only $10 used at the time and I figured why not. Once I got the hang of things, it was a blast. There's a lot of strategy involved and teamwork. There are so many different ways you can approach any given situation with the different characters and powers that it just doesn't get old.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Infinite Undiscovery comes to mind. I thought it looked pretty bad, but the little bit of time I put into it was time well spent. It's a pretty fun Action JRPG. Also, to my great surprise, Sega Superstars Tennis. My dad got it free with his 360 and gave it to me. It's a pretty good arcade tennis game. If only it had Opa-Opa...

ATastyBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ATastyBurger
Member since 2008 • 416 Posts

I just picked up Mass Effect for the fun of it, but then it ended up being one of my favorite games for the system.

Smileyvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Smileyvirus
Member since 2010 • 232 Posts
Batman Arkham Asylum - until I played the demo and saw how good it was.
-Goldensilver-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 -Goldensilver-
Member since 2009 • 42 Posts

For me, FFXIII. Even though gamespot gave it an 8.5, it still seemed to be receiving a lot of hate, and for that reason I almost didn't buy it. I sure am happy I did buy it though, because after just recently beating it, I've concluded that it ranks in with my favorite games of all time.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#9 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Mass Effect series for sure. I absolutely hated sci-fi games except Alien Vs. Predator but decided to give Mass Effect a shot. I am so glad i did that. It is on my all time favorites right now...

EvilSelf...

rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#10 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

Infinite Undiscovery comes to mind. I thought it looked pretty bad, but the little bit of time I put into it was time well spent. It's a pretty fun Action JRPG. Also, to my great surprise, Sega Superstars Tennis. My dad got it free with his 360 and gave it to me. It's a pretty good arcade tennis game. If only it had Opa-Opa...

Phoenix534

I have Infinite Undiscovery and thought it wasn't that great but it sounds like it was one of those games after playing for a bit it gets better.

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

I just recently bought Transfromers WFC and think it is pretty awesome.

thearctic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thearctic
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
fallout 3 & alan wake
KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
Red Dead Redemption--i hate the GTA games, but the reviews made me want to give this a shot, now one of my top five games of all time
N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts

I honestly didn't think much of Mass Effect back in the start of 2008. The cover artwork put me off and I thought it was going to be a cheap sci-fi cliché thingy. Oh how wrong I was! :P It became my favorite game of all time, and still is today.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#15 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
Fallout 3. It was a complete borefest when I first played it. I bought the LE and sold the game soon after. After I borrowed from a friend, I regretted it ever since...
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
Forza 3. I'm not big on racing games, but a friend bought me a used copy because he's so into it. I tried it and loved it. It's fun and it looks beautiful.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Both Red Dead Redemption and Alan wake. RDR I got cause of the hype and really enjoyed it. Alan Wake I got cause of a friend and its one of my favorite games for the system.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Lost odyssey. after seeing the average reviews i passed on it. my friend sold his 360 and gave me a couple a games and lost odyssey was my favorite of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
Quite a lot, actually. I usually get enticed by sales and reductions. :) The main ones for me are Shadowrun and Mirror's Edge. For Shadowrun, I was discouraged because it didn't review very well, and for Mirror's Edge I was put off when I heard that it was short and poor value for money. I ended up absolutely loving both these games, and spent countless hours on each. The Mirror's Edge time trials had me absolutely hooked, I actually can't wait for a sequel. Too bad the devs behind Shadowrun went bust, because there were talks of DLC which obviously never materialised. :(
narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 narog84
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts

borderlands i never expect more than a generic shooter but is so fun

Gsmith92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#21 Gsmith92
Member since 2008 • 275 Posts

Mass Effect, picked it up cuz i saw it for $20 and played it, thought it was boring, played it again, thought it was boring, people kept talking about how good it was so i forced myself to try it again and once i got farther into the story i really loved it, love the 2nd one even more

carlandcarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22 carlandcarl
Member since 2004 • 1251 Posts

Skate - Didn't really know much about it but after I tried it once I have loved it ever since!

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts

Mass Effect and Bioshock. They are now two of my favorite games.

Duke_532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Duke_532
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Dead Space. I didn't play it until my brother bought it and I used his copy but I ended up loving it and am really looking forward to the second one.

I_am_theOpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 I_am_theOpus
Member since 2009 • 768 Posts

I thought I would hate the original Mass Effect. I just figured it wasn't really my kind of game, but after buying it, I was hooked. I finally got Mass Effect 2 today as well, and frankly it feels a bit "dumbed down". But I'm not very far into the game so it still has time to pick up.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts
COD4... Of all games. "Bro, it's way better then Halo!" They said. My inner fanboy cried blasphemy. (even though I didn't think much of H3) Next day I see it in the sunday paper for $39.99. New release for 33% off. Hell yeah! It was destiny. One of the best MP games till this very day IMO. (up there with all the PC greats) Also SW:Battlefront series...
HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts

Dead Space because i never really played games like it (unless you can count resident evil?) but i ended up falling in love and it's one of my favorite games.

BENJOELUKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 BENJOELUKE
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Alan Wake

Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
Mass Effect- I liked it so much I bought ME2 as soon as it was released. Dead Space- I really don't like this genre, but it was amazing.
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#30 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I just picked up Mass Effect for the fun of it, but then it ended up being one of my favorite games for the system.

ATastyBurger

This is the same for me. I think I bought the Platinum hits version for about $10 in a bargain bin. Now it is one of my favorite games for the 360!

FlamingFartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 FlamingFartz
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts

Gears of war.

I love the single player I just cannot stand the multiplayer though :/.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
Fallout 3, Borderlands, Batman AA
Gundamforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gundamforce
Member since 2005 • 1222 Posts

Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Forza 2 (which made me buy 3).

Grandotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Grandotaku
Member since 2009 • 2118 Posts

Mirror's edge and red dead redemption

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

Assassins Creed - borrowed it from a friend 2 years ago. Just started playing it a few days ago: much better than I thought it would be.

Mass Effect: Thought it look dumb, plus I hate games with bad framerates, but I picked it up at Best Buy for $20 one day. Loved it and loved the sequel.

Earth Defense Force - No words can describe this gem.

LBxRAIDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LBxRAIDER
Member since 2010 • 31 Posts

Believe it or not Gears of War. When it was first coming out I was like "That game is going to fail, just another game about killing weird looking creatures" but I got it because friends kept telling me about it, So I went for it and now I consider that game one of the best for the console. :D

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Alan Wake for sure. So glad I picked this game up. Instantly became one of my favorite 360 games.

max-Emadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 max-Emadness
Member since 2009 • 1781 Posts

Final Fantasy 13. With all the hate it was recieving and the fatc that i had never played a FF before i nearly skipped out on it. Now i find myself playin hours on end. it is a good game.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
Forza 3, decided to pick it up as part of a buy 2 get one free sale and wound up thinking afterwards that maybe I should play more racing games.
YouHaveRabies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 YouHaveRabies
Member since 2009 • 212 Posts
Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, and Dead Space. I ended up loving all four. Maybe I should start buying more games I didn't think I'd like. Or maybe I'm just not picky at all about games.
poordude1089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 poordude1089
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts

Condemned - Bought it looking for a good horror game, and it sat on my shelf for upwards of 3 months. I picked it up one night and played the whole thing in one sitting. I'll prolly go back to it sometime soon.

Mrbojangles34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mrbojangles34
Member since 2006 • 8918 Posts

Condemned - Bought it looking for a good horror game, and it sat on my shelf for upwards of 3 months. I picked it up one night and played the whole thing in one sitting. I'll prolly go back to it sometime soon.

poordude1089
I did the exact same thing with that game. Also bought the second one. But I haven't played it yet. But my choice would be Dark Sector. I thought it just looked like a Gears of War clone, and don't get me wrong it was. But it was a pretty great clone, that brought cool stuff to the table that Gears didn't have. Some of the control was clunky sometimes though. Also John Woo Stranglehold, not the best game I ever played but I enjoyed the time I spent playing it. Though I never would again.
Aural_Assault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Aural_Assault
Member since 2005 • 614 Posts

Star Wars The Force Unleashed. Best $20 I ever spent on a game besides The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
[QUOTE="poordude1089"]

Mrbojangles34
I did the exact same thing with that game. Also bought the second one. But I haven't played it yet. But my choice would be Dark Sector. I thought it just looked like a Gears of War clone, and don't get me wrong it was. But it was a pretty great clone, that brought cool stuff to the table that Gears didn't have. Some of the control was clunky sometimes though. Also John Woo Stranglehold, not the best game I ever played but I enjoyed the time I spent playing it. Though I never would again.

What did Dark Sector do that Gears of War didn't, that was so memorable? Dark Sector although a solid game, is hardly memorable in my books. Aside from the boomerang/slicer weapon which actually isn't even unique because it has been done by Zelda.. I'm just curious. What did it bring new to the table?
Mrbojangles34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mrbojangles34
Member since 2006 • 8918 Posts
[QUOTE="Mrbojangles34"][QUOTE="poordude1089"]

Elian2530

What did Dark Sector do that Gears of War didn't, that was so memorable? Dark Sector although a solid game, is hardly memorable in my books. Aside from the boomerang/slicer weapon which actually isn't even unique because it has been done by Zelda.. I'm just curious. What did it bring new to the table?

Hmm you actually bring up a great point. Maybe that is why I liked it so much. I never made the connection that it was gears of war with a sprinkle of LoZ. Maybe I found it more unique because it was different with those things for a shooter. I don't know. You definitely may have just figured out why I liked it so much. Ocarina of Time is basically my favorite game of all time.
gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts

Red Dead Redemption.

Wiieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wiieee
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
when i first got an xbox people kept saying GOW was amazing blahblahblah tbh back then I didnt even like shooters... GOW basically got me into shooting game one of my favourite games hands down
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Just Cause 2. I had seen some gameplay videos, and it looked okay, but I wasn't terribly motivated to actually go out and buy it. So my brother bought it, lent it to me, and instead of returning it, I gave him $60.00 and a huge thanks for bringing the single best open world action game into my life.
Bridgelayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bridgelayer
Member since 2008 • 236 Posts

Alan Wake would be in that category for me. I really enjoy this game and hopefully will finish it soon.