What are your thoughts on the gaming community?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 corb77
Member since 2003 • 464 Posts

I've been gaming for years now (since 1989) and before online gaming became the norm i thought i knew what kind of people gamers where like. I used to belive gamers where cool people, fun to hang around with and chill at the arcades. I used to even tell my girlfriend that gamers where the best kind of people...

but since online gaming has gone main stream i started to see the darker side come out of the gaming community, bad language, racist comments, and an awful approach to girl gamers and some people are so arragent and wont except different point of veiws....

dont get me wrong not all gamers are like this and there is always good in the bad but things dont feel as they used too with the gaming community, theres almost an anger that seems to be in every online game you play.

Plus it makes you wonder if the community is like that dose that make me like that lol

What do you think of the gaming community? please discuss

Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

I've been gaming for years now (since 1989) and before online gaming became the norm i thought i knew what kind of people gamers where like. I used to belive gamers where cool people, fun to hang around with and chill at the arcades. I used to even tell my girlfriend that gamers where the best kind of people...

but since online gaming has gone main stream i started to see the darker side come out of the gaming community, bad language, racist comments, and an awful approach to girl gamers and some people are so arragent and wont except different point of veiws....

dont get me wrong not all gamers are like this and there is always good in the bad but things dont feel as they used too with the gaming community, theres almost an anger that seems to be in every online game you play.

Plus it makes you wonder if the community is like that dose that make me like that lol

corb77

Every group has its bad apples, just so happens that these bad apples have headsets

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 corb77

[QUOTE="corb77"]

Rhino53

Every group has its bad apples, just so happens that these bad apples have headsets

Thats true, do you belive if headsets couldnt be used that things would be better?

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="Rhino53"]

[QUOTE="corb77"]

corb77

Thats true, do you belive if headsets couldnt be used that things would be better?

lol no and its "arrogant". people have always trash talked online, way before headsets; in PC games, you typed trash. This is nothing new, nor is it unusual
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It is common for people to remember the bad things that happen and make that the only thing that happen.

Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

[QUOTE="Rhino53"]

[QUOTE="corb77"]

corb77

Probably, but there would be some downsides too...such as:

you wouldn't be able to communicate with your team, crucial in team based games

also, you wouldn't get to meet the many good apples out there

and you be able to talk to your friends during games, like co-op campaigns, horde, firefight, etc... unless you wanna do splitscreen

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 corb77

It is common for people to remember the bad things that happen and make that the only thing that happen.

wiouds

Thats true, you can have a 100 good times and 1 bad time can ruin it

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Changed for sure, not as it used to. I remember going to the arcade in the late 1980's, now where are they now? Life easier with the Fourms just about gaming, now professional reviews, and fast internet, free gameguides, wish we had those stuff in the 80's.

Hell I just like the easy access to things, just wish I had it growing up.

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 corb77

Changed for sure, not as it used to. I remember going to the arcade in the late 1980's, now where are they now? Life easier with the Fourms just about gaming, now professional reviews, and fast internet, free gameguides, wish we had those stuff in the 80's.

MazehcS0ul

wonder why arcades died? they were a hell of alot of fun :)

DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 DeanG642
Member since 2009 • 595 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

corb77

Thats true, you can have a 100 good times and 1 bad time can ruin it

As is human nature to only remember the bad times. You will always get immature people on games, whether it be Halo, Modern Warfare, or any other games out there, regardless of Platform. People judge other people based on Race, Game style, games they play... Hell, look at some of the threads on the Halo forums. Lots of them complain about Call Of Duty players playing Halo. Some people must think you can only ever play one game...
SexyPorkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SexyPorkins
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts
This has been going on since the invention of the headset and keyboard...people can say whatever they want online and know there is going to be no repercussions because you don't know them, etc.
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

The only real prevalent problem that bothers me is the rampant homophobia and homophobic slurs that I hear daily during multiplayer matches.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

The only real prevalent problem that bothers me is the rampant homophobia and homophobic slurs that I hear daily during multiplayer matches.

skooks
kind of repeated yourself there repeated yourself there :P those slurs are one and the same
Debus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Debus42
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts

Unfortunately there are always going to be idiots, no matter what community it is you're referring to. This is part of the reason I don't do online gaming and just ignore/run away from people trying to hassle me when I play on WoW etc.

PapaJuliio17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PapaJuliio17
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

I think it's just the huge advances in telecommunications. It's not just over headsets, it's over these forums also. People will say things to others from the safety of their computer screens they wouldn't dream of saying or have the balls to say face to face.

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
Bunch of 12 year old kids screaming into their mics . . . Other than that it's fine.
xsfseal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 xsfseal
Member since 2004 • 510 Posts

I completely avoid using my headset at all anymore with random people. Its either someone talking to someone in the backround or trying to tell me how to play. The best players do not need to communicate via headset but by actions in the game. Once you've proven yourself by playing the game legit, or pro-like then I'm cool with talking to you. A very good example is splinter cell conviction co-op. You can work together without talking by how you act with your partner. If you dont know what I mean then your the type of player I dont want anything to do with. Although just because someone is good doesnt mean they are cool to talk to. Some of the best players ive seen on MW2 are terrible people on the inside. Something about hiding behind your tv and a controller brings the worst out in people.

Mr-Gingersnaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Mr-Gingersnaps
Member since 2007 • 578 Posts

when i first had live i would use my mic all the time and talk to people in every game i played but unfortunately the majority of them were a**holes but see there were some that were cool but now i dont talk to anyone because i dont want to deal with the little kids screaming, the idiots yelling every "bad" word you can think of and the people who just talk so much s*** that i wanna just break my xbox it's so annoying.

so in all i dont like a lot of the gamers out there and it makes me not want live but i love it when i find the rare cool people that are totally chill and fun to play with.

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts

There's always annoying people and then people who are cool to talk too.

jad206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jad206
Member since 2009 • 1821 Posts

It truly sucks. No matter what the game. You have rushers on Halo Wars, campers on MW2, active snipers on Gears1, then they trash talk about how good they are.

Zyllus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Zyllus_
Member since 2008 • 1509 Posts

society is society.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Popular games are worse than all others by far. I can go months without hearing racism on Team Fortress 2 but at most a few days on games like Halo 3 or COD. It doesn't bother me anymore though, just a bunch of angry morons getting upset over a video game. It actually makes me laugh now but I do mute screeching 12-year-olds.

Vault_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vault_Monkey
Member since 2010 • 209 Posts

I agree with everything you said, I have noticed in the recent years that there are two types of people in the gaming community. The nice and really awesome people you described, and then the idiots.The idiots I have found to be people that are around the ages of 13-25 and typically play the overrated shooters and nothing else. Video games appeal to just about every young man around, and teenage boys are typically lacking maturity so this is where all these idiots are coming from, in my opinion anyway. I think just because you play a video game occasionally does not make you a gamer, the real gamers are the cool people that love video games for life and play any chance they get, I try to ignore all the negative people who waltz into our community. To me that's all they are, visitors.

By the way I am by no means criticizing people in that age range who love shooters. I am just describing the people that I have noticed to be rude typically have those characteristics.

XXGamerfanXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XXGamerfanXX
Member since 2009 • 1066 Posts
This is why I barely use my headset anymore. Your going to get the biggest Idi*ts on games like Halo 3, and that goes with Modern Campfare 1.5 too (I don't play MW 1.5 anymore). I only use my Mic If Im playing with a friend/famly member. Otherwise, I take my Mic off. Then again, I barely play online gaming much anymore, other then Halo 3, so Im basically on Party Chat, talking to my friends, while playing games like Final Fantasy 13, which is relaxing.
Gundamforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gundamforce
Member since 2005 • 1222 Posts

lol no and its "arrogant". people have always trash talked online, way before headsets; in PC games, you typed trash. This is nothing new, nor is it unusualchaoscougar1

Definitely. Heck behavior like this has been in existence throughout human society. Heck since the Internet has given people the ability to communicate to the masses, it's no surprise that all the "bad apples" of society are going to use it. Of course only a vocal minority actually acts like morons to others, but too often one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch.

I think it's just the huge advances in telecommunications. It's not just over headsets, it's over these forums also. People will say things to others from the safety of their computer screens they wouldn't dream of saying or have the balls to say face to face.

PapaJuliio17

Agreed. Trolling and ridiculous bantering can and has gotten way too extreme on the Internet considering that you could communicate to the masses easily and of course you can't get physically harmed over the Internet for any consequences. The acronym "GIFT" from Penny Arcade (Greater Internet {Censored} Theory) pretty much says it best. Normal Person + Anonymity + Audience = Total {Censored}. Not to mention this is the reason the phrase "The Internet Is Serious Business" exists.

As is human nature to only remember the bad times. You will always get immature people on games, whether it be Halo, Modern Warfare, or any other games out there, regardless of Platform. People judge other people based on Race, Game style, games they play... Hell, look at some of the threads on the Halo forums. Lots of them complain about Call Of Duty players playing Halo. Some people must think you can only ever play one game...DeanG642

Agreed. I play alot of Halo, and used to play alot of MW1, and I've never met as much immature people on those games as much as people say there are (probably once every 20 matches or so, but most of it is easily mutable), but yes there are those that will spoil your fun. Heck many games and communities have them, even those that are not popular or even obscured, and unless you know everyone in that community like a very close friend, there's a good chance that you'll find at least one guy that acts immaturely and/or takes the game way too seriously.

And yeah the COD thing is pretty silly, heck it even applies to the other side as well. I hear a lot of COD fans (especially when MW1 came out) screaming to those that play both or play Halo but want to play COD that you have to "convert" to the other game because "You can't play both". Such ridiculousness.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

I've been gaming since I could hold a controller. In fact, I cannot even begin to recall when exactly I started gaming. The gaming community is a touchy subject for a lot of people, and my opinions may tend to be biased since I am a woman. I have been shunned and laughed at for the longest time because I am a girl and I am also a gamer. If it's not a horny teenager then it's some other kid who thinks just because I have these things called "boobs" that I'm not capable of playing as good as the boys. I remember beating countless guys back when Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat were popular games in arcades across the world.

While that still holds very true today, I know gaming is much more mainstream than it ever was. It's seemingly all about the business and not about the games now in the "Story of Gaming". I seem to recall a time in gaming history where something similar happened and then the industry crashed hard. I'm just hoping history doesn't repeat itself.

Also, here's something I think of daily. I sit down to play my Xbox 360 and I cannot help but glance over at my SNES and then I think to myself; "Hmm, that console is nearly two decades old and it still works perfectly. I wonder if I'll be able to say the same about my Xbox360 and Wii?"

truthillusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 truthillusion
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Gaming has a community that consists of various types of people; just like any other pass time's community.
corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 corb77

Thing is just because there's no come backs on the Internet, xbox live doesn't mean you have to act like a an id1ot, this is the big divider in my opinion people who know the difference in wrong and right.

Plus I feel that back in the day gamers were known as nerds and geek's... sad I know (that used to be me lol) but these days to be a gamer is "cool" and that means every person wont's a piece of that pie... and because of that the community grew and all the bad apples came with it, the old school gamers that go by the old un-written codes have gone and been lost in the masses.

I kinda hope in some way that gaming dose go less popular, so that one day I can be part of that old exclusive club know as "the gamers"

To all true gamers... I love you guys :) lol

huntertl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 huntertl1
Member since 2009 • 212 Posts
people just dont have respect for each other anymore its a shame
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I think when you play very popular games you run into people who aren't really gamers, or I guess you might call them more of the casual crowd and they're not the same type as on other games. I have run into some bad stuff but it seems like they're never people who play games like phantasy star etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-57f6810aefea1
deactivated-57f6810aefea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 deactivated-57f6810aefea1
Member since 2009 • 497 Posts

Some people take games and gaming WAYYYYYY to seriously.

Thats the impression i get from coming to these forums and listening to people online.

kipohippo021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#32 kipohippo021
Member since 2010 • 3895 Posts

[QUOTE="Rhino53"]

[QUOTE="corb77"]

corb77

yes, thats why i dont use one.

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 corb77

Some people take games and gaming WAYYYYYY to seriously.

Thats the impression i get from coming to these forums and listening to people online.

Bunj84

I think you play games more to pass the time rather than having a real passion for it.

For me i play games because i truly love them, gaming is my hobbie and a huge part of my life, I go on the internet just to look for gaming news and gossip and i play games to pull me away from the real world, I wear gaming tops and buy gaming figures and models just to add to my love of gaming.

This is just me but i belive that alot of gamers play games to simply "pass the time" and for that reason have no respect for other gamers online because its just "abit of fun" to them, But if your like me and have a real love and respect for gaming you tend to treat people online with alot more respect.

This is just my view of one of the problems with the comunity these days, people need to find that love again, because old school gamers used to really love gaming which always gave you a kind of respect for other gamers. i belive them days have gone thanks to the main stream of gamers and the people its bought with it.... :(

webby1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#34 webby1
Member since 2004 • 4014 Posts

Xbox Live has always been like that and in most cases where the other person is anonymous to some extent it always will be. Also it can depend on the game, I have been playing a lot of StarCraft II lately and pretty much everyone says GG "Good game" at the end (even though the pro IdrA is a sore loser). But it just comes down to people at the end of the day, not just gamers but people in general.

psufootball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 psufootball
Member since 2009 • 151 Posts
I just mute all the little kiddies yelling on MW2 and it's all good. :D
Avatar image for RatchetJunkie20
RatchetJunkie20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RatchetJunkie20
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts

I think the majority of the gaming community is good people but there's a select few that take games and gaming WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too seriously. The worst was when I someone beat someone in MW 2. He found out that my team was all girls and started calling us some pretty interesting names. Started accusing us of cheating too. I don't play that. I'd rather win the legit way instead of cheating to win.