Verizon FiOS and Xbox Live

This topic is locked from further discussion.

enzogtr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 enzogtr13
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

This is a thread detailing on how to connect to Xbox Live with an Open NAT with verizon FiOS. At least with the Actiontec Router anyways.

Verizon FiOS with Actiontec Router connecting to Xbox Live Tutorial

Step 1: Go to your Xbox's Settings Blade and go to Network Settings. From there, go to Edit Settings. You probably will see a IP Address that looks looks like this on the top of the screen: 169.xxx.xx.xxx. Press A to edit the IP Settings Panel. Scroll down to Manual and you will see four options. One of then is Done so you don't need to worry about that. First, click on IP Address. Set it to 192.168.1.109. Press Start to finish and then go to Subnet Mask. Enter the numbers 255.255.255.0. Click Start to finish. Then, go to the third option (Gateway) and enter the IP address of your router. This is normally 192.168.1.1 for most FiOS users. Finish by clicking the Start button again Then, scroll down to the Done button and press A. A blade with come up with the options to Test Media, Test Xbox LIVE, or Cancel. Click Test Media. The test should fail the IP Address test. Scroll down to Edit Settings and click. Go to the second pane now, and click. Scroll down to Manual and then click Primary DNS Server. Enter the same info you put in earlier for the Gateway setting and press Start to finish. Scroll down to Done and click. Once again, a blade will come up and once again, click Test Media. Once again it will fail the IP Address test. You are now done step 1.

Step 2: Get on a laptop (or desktop with Wi-Fi) and go to 192.168.1.1. There is no period behind the last 1. The standard user name is "admin" and the standard passwords are "password" and "password1". Once you're into the router, you'll see a row of icons at the top. Click Advanced and say Yes when you are told the dangers. On the left side of the Advanced tab is a red toolbox. Under it, there is a button that says Restore Defaults. WARNING: YOUR XBOX MUST BE ON DURING THIS NEXT PART. Click it and click Apply when prompted. This is where things get tricky. Go find the physical router in your house/office and find a little white sticker on it. Record the SSID and WEP Key. Return to your laptop. The SSID you just recorded should be listed as a wireless network. Click on it and enter the WEP key when prompted. You are now back online. Go back to 192.168.1.1 and it will prompt you to make a new user name and password. Just make one with your last name and first name as your password. This just makes things easier. If you did it right, then at the bottom of the My Network tab should be a device with a IP address as a host name. If it's the IP address you set for your Xbox earlier, then your good. To make things even easier, go to the Wireless Settings tab and click on Basic Settings. Change your SSID to whatever you want and you can also disable WEP from here if you want. If you choose not to disable, then remember the one you wrote down earlier. Now your done step 2.

Step 3: Get back on your Xbox and go to the Edit Settings page. Go to the bottom pane and click. It should pop up with a list of networks and one of them should be your network with the new SSID. If it warns you that you are connecting to an unsecured network, connect anyways as it just means there is no WEP key. A blade will appear prompting you to test Live or Media, or cancel the operation. Click Test Media again. This time, it should pass the IP Address test but fail PC Connection.Scroll down to the Edit Settings option. Then press B. Now, go to the Test Xbox LIVE Connection option. It should pass all of the tests and give you a NAT Moderate message. Time to fix this.

Step 4: Go back to your laptop and go back to 192.168.1.1. Once you log in, go to the Firewall Settings tab and say yes to all the warnings. On the left should be a bunch of options with one of them being DMZ Hosting. Click. First, enter the IP Address that you punched into the Xbox earlier. Then check the box next to it and hit Apply. Wait for it to bring you back to the warning screen and click yes, just to be on the safe side. Then go back to your Xbox and do the Xbox LIVE Connection test again. This time it should pass all the tests and it should give you a NAT Open rating. Bam! You're done.

Note: When you sign into Live you may get a message saying that it can't connect to Windows Messenger. Disregard this message as this would involve some more technical work. If I get enough demand, I'll post a tutorial on doing that too.

Let me know if you are having problems with MTU or DNS.

I've seen enough threads on many forums of people saying they can't connect. Well, neither could I for around 3 months. This works with my 360 wireless adapter and the Actiontec router.

Credits: Ian Pederson

lbhocky19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lbhocky19
Member since 2003 • 1104 Posts

good job man. wish this was posted when i first got fios

had to look through all of the internet in its entirety to find the answers. of course no one at verizon even knows there a compatibility issue

and have they fixed the wireless problem yet?

OrloElfes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OrloElfes
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Thank you! I spent a day and a half trying other "fixes" (firmware patches, etc.) before your steps did the trick.

cXColdBloodXc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cXColdBloodXc
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Thank you for this great tutorial but I think there is one little problem in Step 2. After it says to go to adanced settings and click apply to restore defaults and go write down the wep key. The tutorial you posted just says to put your Wep down when asked. After I press apply, another thing pops up saying to save configuration file or restore defaults, I did that and it wasn't right, what should I do? Thank you
Nykid31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nykid31
Member since 2008 • 65 Posts
hmmm thats wierd i did not have 2 do any of that mine just worked
Putty121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Putty121
Member since 2004 • 1852 Posts

You, my man, are a very good person.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts
Thanks, I actually had Verizon FiOS and an ActionTec M1424WR or whatever router and I can't sign on my wifi for any console but it works fine with my laptops.
Patersnak27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Patersnak27
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I am having serious problems with my MTU. I have a Verizon FiOS connection (I think with an actiontec modem). It keeps saying that the MTU isnt high enough, and i've tried damn near everything, including resetting the modem and using that stupid FiOS optimizer tool online. Is there anything you can suggest that can get my xbox to work?
mr-sheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mr-sheep
Member since 2006 • 2235 Posts
Man i feel sorry for all of you in the US with god awful internet providers.
Raiden004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Raiden004
Member since 2009 • 1605 Posts

Thanks man I'm gonna go try it.

litttlejohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 litttlejohn
Member since 2006 • 2247 Posts

dude its because xbox live is down that theres the problem pater....ive been getting the mtu thing all day because the service is off...... i have never had a problem connecting to fios through this router on a landline, and when i connect via wireless, i simply use an older router and make a hub, the end even if you dont have another router you can buy a dirt cheap one or just buy used one for like 4 bucks..... its the same reason xbox.com is not working if you go to their site

Drakester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Drakester
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Having a rather interesting issue with Verizon FiOS myself. I recently purchased it and I was given an Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 router. My Xbox 360 is connected to the router througha CAT5 cable. I am able to connect to Xbox Live just fine, but when I try to download something, it will go to 2 or 3% and then I get an error message saying that I couldn't download it. I run the "Test Xbox LIVE Connection" test and when it completes I get a message saying that my NAT type is set to moderate. Well I followed the steps outlined in this post and set my Xbox as the DMZ host, but I still receive the same error message. I even set my security to "minimum" and still the same error.

Anyone come across this or have any suggestions? Thanks.

ntownx5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ntownx5
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
i did everything you told me to and now i cannot connect to xbox live at all. i need help now.
Avatar image for YankeesNYC4life
YankeesNYC4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 YankeesNYC4life
Member since 2010 • 235 Posts

no matter how many of these how-to guides i read theres always a problem i run into.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

i know this is old, but you deserve my thanks regardless

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
Man i feel sorry for all of you in the US with god awful internet providers.mr-sheep
kills me that smaller towns get monopolized... one internet provider will buyout the others. when company's wish to monopolized something, nothing grows and company only does the minimal because they get away with it.. pretty sad...
Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts
[QUOTE="mr-sheep"]Man i feel sorry for all of you in the US with god awful internet providers.k2theswiss
kills me that smaller towns get monopolized... one internet provider will buyout the others. when company's wish to monopolized something, nothing grows and company only does the minimal because they get away with it.. pretty sad...

That's capitalism for you.
BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BostonDieNasty
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts
how does this work??? i have fios internet but not cable... it says you need internet and cable to use the app.... whats really the point of watching tv through your xbox when you can just turnn off your xbox and watch tv?
Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Drakebunny
how does this work??? i have fios internet but not cable... it says you need internet and cable to use the app.... whats really the point of watching tv through your xbox when you can just turnn off your xbox and watch tv?BostonDieNasty
So you don't have to buy another box. The TV my Xbox is on doesn't have a cable box, so this is actually alright.
BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BostonDieNasty
[QUOTE="BostonDieNasty"]how does this work??? i have fios internet but not cable... it says you need internet and cable to use the app.... whats really the point of watching tv through your xbox when you can just turnn off your xbox and watch tv?Drakebunny
So you don't have to buy another box. The TV my Xbox is on doesn't have a cable box, so this is actually alright.

so would i be able to use someone elses fios account to get iit on my xbox?
Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Drakebunny
[QUOTE="Drakebunny"][QUOTE="BostonDieNasty"]how does this work??? i have fios internet but not cable... it says you need internet and cable to use the app.... whats really the point of watching tv through your xbox when you can just turnn off your xbox and watch tv?BostonDieNasty

No idea. I've used it for the same reason I stated (no cable box down here). You can always try it though, but you need to be using a FiOS connection AFAIK.
BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BostonDieNasty
[QUOTE="Drakebunny"][QUOTE="BostonDieNasty"][QUOTE="Drakebunny"] So you don't have to buy another box. The TV my Xbox is on doesn't have a cable box, so this is actually alright.

No idea. I've used it for the same reason I stated (no cable box down here). You can always try it though, but you need to be using a FiOS connection AFAIK.

ya i have fios internet connection but not fios cable.. for some reason in my town we dont have fios cable
Jayj85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jayj85
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Im having a problem with my xbox live connection I have verizon and I been on the phone with both xbox live and verizon for 6hours and they dont know how to fix my mtu error problem I need help please can anyone help me my email is warxjay@gmail.com
masterflorez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 masterflorez
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
So this is what I have to do to fix my MTU error problem?