Trying to decide what RPG to get.

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

P-Dunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 P-Dunn
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Lately I've been playing Golden Sun. I played through the entire thing and beat the final boss this past week and some, because I've had little to do, and I got really into it.

My question is this: is there any RPG like that on Xbox 360? I've been looking for example at Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, and Eternal Sonata. Lost Odyssey seems to be reminiscient of Golden Sun in that it has totally turn-based combat with elements and such, but it's consistently gotten the lowest reviews. Moreover, Mass Effect consistently gets the highest reviews, but seems to be the least like Golden Sun in that it's not turn based and seems to be like a shooter.

Does anyone have any game suggestions based on these three choices? Or is there another game that I am not aware of that would be a good choice here?

~Patrick

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
i wouldn't let Lost Odyssey's scores let you down. It's one of the better 360 titles this year and I highly recommend it. Eternal Sonata is also great. not sure about Mass Effect, but it does not sound like Golden Sun at all. Lost Odyssey's probably your best bet
SystemoDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SystemoDown
Member since 2008 • 150 Posts
Oblivion. Or if your willing to wait for NinjaGaiden2. its not an rpg which you probly know but its all sword combat and other weapons liek numbchucks. and than later this year Fable2. Toohuman. Fallout3
thegame458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 thegame458
Member since 2006 • 1326 Posts
I kinda like the RPG in GTA 4, but sometimes it curves too much and I miss the helicopters
LUK3isH3RE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LUK3isH3RE
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

Oblivion. Or if your willing to wait for NinjaGaiden2. its not an rpg which you probly know but its all sword combat and other weapons liek numbchucks. and than later this year Fable2. Toohuman. Fallout3 SystemoDown

Either Oblivion or Mass Effect... Or you could wait for Fable 2.

CCCRT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 CCCRT
Member since 2005 • 196 Posts

I kinda like the RPG in GTA 4, but sometimes it curves too much and I miss the helicoptersthegame458

That is either one of the funniest things I have read today, or one of the stupidest. I'm not sure.

akiraxander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 akiraxander
Member since 2005 • 4625 Posts
If your looking for something with that JRPG feel, with turn based action id go with Lost Odyssey. Eternal Sonata is closer to a JRPG but the combat is a little faster then turn based. And Mass Effect is an American RPG and its not turn based at all with shooter combat, so its the most different.
fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
Lost Odyssey and ME are both absolutely fantastic. I personally think ME is the better game, but LO sounds you're sort of game. Highly reccommend it.
DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts

Lately I've been playing Golden Sun. I played through the entire thing and beat the final boss this past week and some, because I've had little to do, and I got really into it.

My question is this: is there any RPG like that on Xbox 360? I've been looking for example at Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, and Eternal Sonata. Lost Odyssey seems to be reminiscient of Golden Sun in that it has totally turn-based combat with elements and such, but it's consistently gotten the lowest reviews. Moreover, Mass Effect consistently gets the highest reviews, but seems to be the least like Golden Sun in that it's not turn based and seems to be like a shooter.

Does anyone have any game suggestions based on these three choices? Or is there another game that I am not aware of that would be a good choice here?

~Patrick

P-Dunn

Personally I prefer action RPG's over turn based - but if you're looking for a turn based game - pretty much the highest rated one I think is Blue Dragon - make sure and check that out.

vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts
Lost Oddysey is incredible if your into that kind of game. Read some player reviews to get a better picture.
norbee007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 norbee007
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I don't know Golden Sun, but it sounds like a fantasy. Mass Effect is a sci-fi shooter RPG, however I recommend to try out, because it's an awsome game. But if you insist on turn-based games try Lost Odyssey. The ring system, the story and the graphics makes it one of the best ... or the best RPG on X360. You can try Blue Dragon too, however it's inferior in almost everything compared to Lost Odyssey, except the levelling system, it's very good. ^^

Avatar image for mariomusicmaker
mariomusicmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 mariomusicmaker
Member since 2006 • 1426 Posts

I kinda like the RPG in GTA 4, but sometimes it curves too much and I miss the helicoptersthegame458

Oh my god i have been waiting soo long to here some one say that! you are a god. or just a very...very silly person.

sumhydroponic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sumhydroponic
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts
Lost Odyessey is an awesome JRPG. Very emotional and honestly one of the best stories I have ever had the pleasure of playing through. In my opinion it is one of the best JRPG's since Final Fantasy 7.
pittongkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pittongkid
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts

For the JRPG, you'll never go wrong with these two: Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata. Both have very impressive graphics, awesome sountrack and replay value. For LO, the last time I levelled my character to the fullest was way back in FFVII...this was yet the first again.

For the WRPG, there's only one winner for me and thats Mass Effect. Inspite of its some imperfections, its still you're best bet for a WRPG.

titanium2108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 titanium2108
Member since 2008 • 305 Posts

In regards to Golden Sun,

I tried playing one of them I think on GBA but I never really got into it. I wanna try one of the GBA ones but I have no idea where to start. I'm thinking The Lost Age after seeing this review. Is this a good place to start (even though technically I've played some before)? Are their any prequels I should play first?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2371bc3e374
deactivated-5f2371bc3e374

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5f2371bc3e374
Member since 2008 • 207 Posts
Despite the mediocre reviews, you would probably enjoy Blue Dragon. Blue Dragon has an interesting class system, Lost Odyssey gives you a little more sense of realism, and Eternal Sonata has a fun combat system. Besides that, all of them have GREAT music. 3 JRPGs to choose from atm...
shogoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shogoh
Member since 2003 • 571 Posts

If you like turn based battles then definitely try Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon. Don't look too much at the scores. They scored low because they are typical JRPGs and offer nothing new but that's not a bad thing IMO. Eternal Sonata is also very good.

Mass Effect is a very good game if you like action RPGs. It isn't like Golden Sun at all though.

In regards to Golden Sun,

I tried playing one of them I think on GBA but I never really got into it. I wanna try one of the GBA ones but I have no idea where to start. I'm thinking The Lost Age after seeing this review. Is this a good place to start (even though technically I've played some before)? Are their any prequels I should play first?

titanium2108

The Lost Age is the sequel. Play the first one... there are no real improvements to the game in the Lost Age anyway. It's just the story continuation.

metzgerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 metzgerr
Member since 2003 • 338 Posts
one of the reasons lost oddysey got low scores was because its combat system wasnt extremely innovative. and if im right, the combat system is a very classic turn-based combat, just like golden sun, which should please you. also dont let reviews get you down about games that look interesting. you should always be the deciding factor :D
mackreki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mackreki
Member since 2004 • 113 Posts

You should ignore Metzgerr unless you like reading misinfromation .

The reason Lost Odyssey got low reviews , was because the demo released with a ton of lag . What made it worse was that the demo came out right before the actual release. For whatever reason most of te reviewers reviewed the game based on the demo . Of course if they go by the demo and the 1-2 minute load times on everything, then it will get a low review .All the issues were fixed though . If you read reviews from people who reviewed it after release , you won't see many scores below 8

Einherjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Einherjan
Member since 2007 • 34 Posts

You'd have fun with either Oblivion, Mass Effect, or Lost Odyssey. Unfortunately, I have never played Lost Odyssey, but I know what it is, thus I will try to draw some conclusions. First of all, if you want a game were you don't have to travel around then get Mass Effect or Lost Odyssey. That's my only gripe with Oblivion on the 360 (you can get companions in the PC version through mods- they may show up in the base game). Although, if there is already companions in Oblivion (I haven't gotten that far), then I still really don't want them. Something about the characters in that game feel shallow, plus if you wanna be a loner just go with Oblivion.

Mass Effect is an enjoyable game. It pulls greatly from it predessors, but greatly improved upon them. God mix of Action RPG, problem solving, and an actually engaging story. I'd go with ME if you actually want to feel involved.Thankfully there is less stop and play in this game than there was in Jade Empire.

With Lost Odyssey, I am not too sure. I haven't played it yet. I do know it's from some of the original FF creators. It looks good, but the question is how engaging is it? I used to get really into VI-VIII so it's a good possibility that I'd get that involved in this one.

Hope this gives some kind of insight.

ShadowScampi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ShadowScampi
Member since 2005 • 55 Posts

i think u should go for golden sun the lost age if you havent played it already...but ive played mass effect lost odyssey blue dragon and eternal sonata...I´d highly recommend lost odyssey...most similar to golden sun...you can describe mass effect with a mix of gears of war and kotor (also from bioware),so i wouldnt buy that... blue dragon is also a good gamebut graphics and story are a bit weak...eternal sonata is amzing,if you know and liked tales of Symphonia...

if i was you id probably choose lost odyssey

ForBiddEn9262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ForBiddEn9262
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts
oblivon its one of the best rpg
jknight5422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jknight5422
Member since 2003 • 1992 Posts

You said you completed Golden Sun which looks like a kid's game. How old are you? The Mass Effect game states it's for mature audiences. I'm old, so I don't know if teens play games like Golden Sun, so don't be upset by my question. I don't know if your parents would like you playing a Mature game like Mass Effect. My copy of ME is in transit & I can't wait. It's not really a real-time shooter as the Gamespot review states that if you play it like a shooter you're going to die a lot. You have to pause the menu & change weapons in combat & think with some strategerie. So it's not reflex-based combat.

Lost Odyssey is for Teens so it would be more suitable if you are a kid. Actually I want to play LO as well. I've got Oblivion & still need to play that. You should probably pick it up. That first or third person feel of Oblivion has not really won me over since I come from the NWN/Fallout/Diablo/top-down/turn-based/isomorphic generation. I don't know if it'll be possible for me to get into it.

Atlus is coming out with 3 turn-based JRPGs very soon. The first is Operation Darkness (M - Mature) & then Spectral Force 3 & Zoids Assault (both T - Teen) this summer. I'm jumping on Operation Darkness, one of the few games I'm prepared to pay full price for this year.

Tsunami23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tsunami23
Member since 2004 • 1352 Posts

Oblivion. Or if your willing to wait for NinjaGaiden2. its not an rpg which you probly know but its all sword combat and other weapons liek numbchucks. and than later this year Fable2. Toohuman. Fallout3 SystemoDown

What the hell are you talking about? lol

BIGJosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 BIGJosher
Member since 2007 • 1562 Posts

JRPG

1. Lost Odyssey (read ign.com's review, it is about the fairest for this game. the reviewers of LO weren't able to give it a fair review because what they reviewed wasn't the finished project, they hadn't fixed all of the little glitches)

2. Eternal Sonata

3. Blue Dragon

Those are the only three out right now I believe yet the second lost odyssey is coming out in a year or two and infinite undiscovery is coming out later this year.

WRPG

1. Oblivion (just barely goes over Mass Effect, it has more content)

2. Mass Effect (great stroryline)

Lord_Tik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lord_Tik
Member since 2002 • 888 Posts
Lost Odyssey. If you consider yourself a fan of turn based J-RPGs, then you will love it. It is the ultimate example of the formula. It got low scores simply because it offered nothing new. But it's story is absolutely beautiful and the gameplay is brilliant.
marcoz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 marcoz92
Member since 2008 • 148 Posts

well..i dont recommend you mass effect..because its kinda boring..and combat is like in a bad third person shooter...and...ingame you get the feeling to be a doll....i dunno about lost odyssey but i think it is a great game....dont look at the score...sometimes it only depends by you...you can like a game or not...even if it has a 10 or a 6 ok?:D if i were you i would wait for fable 2 it is going to be great:)but it is not turn based...

trust me...dont choose mass effect...maybe lost odyssey or...better : wait fable 2 :D

Lord_Tik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lord_Tik
Member since 2002 • 888 Posts

well..i dont recommend you mass effect..because its kinda boring..and combat is like in a bad third person shooter...and...ingame you get the feeling to be a doll....i dunno about lost odyssey but i think it is a great game....dont look at the score...sometimes it only depends by you...you can like a game or not...even if it has a 10 or a 6 ok?:D if i were you i would wait for fable 2 it is going to be great:)but it is not turn based...

trust me...dont choose mass effect...maybe lost odyssey or...better : wait fable 2 :D

marcoz92

Out of those 3, I would rank Fable 2 the lowest. Fable 1 just didn't seem to satisfy my rpg needs. Whereas I played through Mass Effect 5 times and I am about half way through Lost Odyssey now.

Also, since when is 7.5 a bad score? (Lost Odyssey)

YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#29 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

I'm really looking forward to playing Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. But I am most interested in Eternal Sonata. I really love jRPG's. I don't know how I feel about wRPG's, they usually seem to boring to me. But I am going to give Mass Effect a try, I think.

What does anyone think of Enchanted Arms? I'm going to get it too, it sounds okay to me, but no one really talks about it ever.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts

haha nice

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
oblivion, mass effect, or wait for fable2
krish117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 krish117
Member since 2007 • 366 Posts
Mass Effect
stieferman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 stieferman
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts
If your good on cash try FFXI see if you like it you get a free month. Oblivion is a great RPG, or you could wait for Fable 2. All those are not turn based but they are good RPGs. Oblivion is almost a never ending game with almost never ending possibilities and the freedom to do anything. I havent played much FFXI as my live just broke >.> but what I played I enjoyed but it depends on your $ and time. Fable 2 is my most forward looked game this year, if GTAIV can get a 10 rating just think what Fable 2 will get! I have never played LO or ME but I think this thread is convincing me to go try them :)
HardcoreBunni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HardcoreBunni
Member since 2008 • 643 Posts
Glad to see people still play Golden Sun. I reccomend you play the sequel: the Lost Age. As for games like Golden Sun on the 360, I think your safest bet would be Lost Oddyssey(more Final Fantasy-esque) or Eternal Sonata. However, Lost Oddyssey is a more traditional JRPG.
blue_tape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blue_tape
Member since 2007 • 2868 Posts
I'm just here to warn you away from Eternal Sonata. Just don't.
MasterSP1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MasterSP1
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Fable 2
YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#39 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

I'm just here to warn you away from Eternal Sonata. Just don't.blue_tape

Why not?

Captain-Ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Captain-Ichigo
Member since 2007 • 545 Posts
no one cares about ng2 he is looking for a rpg
Avatar image for BloodveinAzalie
BloodveinAzalie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BloodveinAzalie
Lost Odyssey is a great choice with amazing graphics, good music, and turned based battles if you're looking for a new 360 RPG to keep you occupied. Eternal Sonata is also a great choice with a fun battle system and great classical music. Blue Dragon is a bit on the mediocre side, but it's still a pretty good game and it can keep you occupied. Enchanted Arms is another alright game, a bit on the mediocre side, though. Enchanted Arms can also be an easy 1K boost to your gamerscore. If I had to choose, I would choose between either Lost Odyssey or Eternal Sonata, not to mention that you can pretty much get both of them used at cheap prices. If you just want a new RPG in general and you have a PS2, try looking up some titles for those. PS2 has loads of RPGs that you might like.
Einherjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Einherjan
Member since 2007 • 34 Posts

If your good on cash try FFXI see if you like it you get a free month. Oblivion is a great RPG, or you could wait for Fable 2. All those are not turn based but they are good RPGs. Oblivion is almost a never ending game with almost never ending possibilities and the freedom to do anything. I havent played much FFXI as my live just broke >.> but what I played I enjoyed but it depends on your $ and time. Fable 2 is my most forward looked game this year, if GTAIV can get a 10 rating just think what Fable 2 will get! I have never played LO or ME but I think this thread is convincing me to go try them :)stieferman

I wouldn't play FFXI for the 360, it's pretty awful. If you really want to play that game get it for the PC, but really now do you want to pay $15 or $12 a month? I am not baised here I have played almost all the MMO's, but they just really do it for me. Plus they are a life sucker. If you enjoyed Golden Sun, then FFXI isn't your game nor is GTAIV.

I3loo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 I3loo
Member since 2008 • 184 Posts

dont let the reviews decide what game you want to get.

Lost Odyessy is great. I would also reccomend Oblivion.

probably the best RPG on the 360

great_rulo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 great_rulo
Member since 2007 • 2838 Posts

Believe me TC, you wont like Mass Effect, check some videos, its by no means an RPG, if you've played Gears of War then you know what it is, Oblivion and Lost Odissey are the best RPGs on this generation, oblivion got GotY and much better reviews than Mass Effect.

However, i dont think the 360 is for you if you want good ol' turn based RPGs, maybe the PSP is your best bet, with Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, Disgaea and some others, or, stay with the GBA, im sure there's some RPGs you've missed there, Golden Sun is just 1 of the many you can check, i know its hard to find original GBA games so, if you wanna know how to download them to your PC, message me on Xbox Live, my gamertag is: great rulo.

blue_tape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blue_tape
Member since 2007 • 2868 Posts

[QUOTE="blue_tape"]I'm just here to warn you away from Eternal Sonata. Just don't.YoBrandino

Why not?

This game failed to live up to my expectations in almost every way. Having played the demo, I believed the game could even bring me into the JRPG fold. Light and dark affecting enemies, chaining special attacks, the idea behind the game. You can select only 3 characters for combat and you'll then only fight 3 enemies. Because of this, combat becomes a rote exercise, even at Party Level 6 which changes the attack buttons. Encore mode (second play-through) was a flat-out chore. Then the end. I didn't mind the questions of the story possibly looping or stopping the loop. However, characters shouldn't break the fourth wall just to preach.
jknight5422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jknight5422
Member since 2003 • 1992 Posts

Mass Effect is an RPG. You can't play it as a shooter. You have to access the menu to change your attacks and what you are doing. Though it isn't fully turn-based, it still has pauses in battle to change what you are doing. The user's review give it a much higher score than Gamespot. I see several 8.5-10 scores for Mass Effect. Plus, it's made by people who made the NWN/NWN2 games which are definitive RPGs that play the same way: you pause to change your attacks around.

As I stated earlier (perhaps you just haven't read it yet): Atlus is coming out with 3 JRPG turn-based games this summer: Operation Darkness, Spectral Force 3, and Zoids Assault. That should be enough to keep you occupied. I think I'll be ordering Lost Odyssey here pretty soon as well.

I think the Japanese companies are moving full on to the 360 with their brand of game. It has taken them awhile but they're coming around to the 360 world.

Believe me TC, you wont like Mass Effect, check some videos, its by no means an RPG, if you've played Gears of War then you know what it is, Oblivion and Lost Odissey are the best RPGs on this generation, oblivion got GotY and much better reviews than Mass Effect.

However, i dont think the 360 is for you if you want good ol' turn based RPGs, maybe the PSP is your best bet, with Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, Disgaea and some others, or, stay with the GBA, im sure there's some RPGs you've missed there, Golden Sun is just 1 of the many you can check, i know its hard to find original GBA games so, if you wanna know how to download them to your PC, message me on Xbox Live, my gamertag is: great rulo.

great_rulo
Curti2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Curti2
Are you interested in MMORPG? If so than Age of Conan is coming out on the 360. I have it for my PC and it is a great game.
fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
So, TC have you chose one yet?
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#49 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Golden Sun is a classic man! If you enjoy that game DEFINATLY pick up Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata!

Lost Odyssey is the best RPG on the 360 hands down!

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#50 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
[QUOTE="YoBrandino"]

[QUOTE="blue_tape"]I'm just here to warn you away from Eternal Sonata. Just don't.blue_tape

Why not?

This game failed to live up to my expectations in almost every way. Having played the demo, I believed the game could even bring me into the JRPG fold. Light and dark affecting enemies, chaining special attacks, the idea behind the game. You can select only 3 characters for combat and you'll then only fight 3 enemies. Because of this, combat becomes a rote exercise, even at Party Level 6 which changes the attack buttons. Encore mode (second play-through) was a flat-out chore. Then the end. I didn't mind the questions of the story possibly looping or stopping the loop. However, characters shouldn't break the fourth wall just to preach.

I totally dissagree, i thought Eternal Sonata was fantastic. Amazing story, characters and fun combat.