The Xbox one Media capabilities?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

I want to buy an Xbox One but I want to know if it has the media capabilities of the PS3 because I need a console that can also function as a media hub for my family. Does it play MKVs, AVI, MPEG, MP4s and etc?

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

It does more than what the PS3 could.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Well it now has DNLA support and can play music and movie files from USB keys if I'm not mistaken, but I don't know all the technicalities and which formats are supported, though you could easily find this out in Google I assume.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Enfamous_Mr_BHC said:

I want to buy an Xbox One but I want to know if it has the media capabilities of the PS3 because I need a console that can also function as a media hub for my family. Does it play MKVs, AVI, MPEG, MP4s and etc?

The PS3 is still better than new gen consoles at multimedia support. They are getting there, but the PS3 still is tops in terms of what it an do with regards to formats and as a media hub. I own an Xbone and my PS3 is still the media hub at the house over my Xbone, PS4, and Wii U. I think one day they will add more support to the new gen devices, but as it stands, the PS3 has more apps and more format support at this time.

Xbone does allow you to plug in through it via HDMI, but it lowers the resolution of said device (as well as lowers the audio quality), so It's not recommended for use on a Blu-Ray player or other 1080p devices. After intense experimentation, I don't use the extra HDMI anymore, but I have an AVR that has plenty of HDMI space. I am also a HUGE Audio buff, so I'm not willing to compromise on sound or visuals if I don't have too.

Avatar image for Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

@SolidTy: thank you everyone for their post. I think the biggest thing for me is can it play a majority of the media files (AVI, MKV, WMV, MP4 and etc) right now off of usbs and maybe eternal hard drives so I can import shows to it like I use to for the PS3. I really want that White Xbox coming up but the PS4 is a disappointment in the hub department and I'm tiring to "kill off" my last gen systems.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@Enfamous_Mr_BHC said:

@SolidTy: thank you everyone for their post. I think the biggest thing for me is can it play a majority of the media files (AVI, MKV, WMV, MP4 and etc) right now off of usbs and maybe eternal hard drives so I can import shows to it like I use to for the PS3. I really want that White Xbox coming up but the PS4 is a disappointment in the hub department and I'm tiring to "kill off" my last gen systems.

Limiting the media functions of the new consoles are by design! The goal for MS, Sony and others is to force you to pay for their subscription based services.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Alucard_Prime

Another cool thing being added soon to the media player is that it will basically allow us to create and use any background we want

http://majornelson.com/2014/10/22/heres-make-xbox-one-background/?linkId=10156485

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

Another cool thing being added soon to the media player is that it will basically allow us to create and use any background we want

http://majornelson.com/2014/10/22/heres-make-xbox-one-background/?linkId=10156485

Yeah, but PS3 does custom Themes and use your own backrounds for years.

That's sort of what the TC is asking directly right, comparison between last gen and new gen? New gen is trying to catch up still at this point.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Alucard_Prime

@SolidTy said:

@Alucard_Prime said:

Yeah, but PS3 does custom Themes and use your own backrounds for years.

That's sort of what the TC is asking directly right, comparison between last gen and new gen? New gen is trying to catch up still at this point.

That's fine, since this was a discussion about the media capabitlites of the Xbox One I just thought it was relevant to add it here, found out earlier while I was at work and thought it was pretty cool that's all. It's not so much the "use any image you want from a USB device to create your background" that got me excited, but I just found it cool how M Nelson provided a template for the homepage, tools to basically create the exact background you want.