Spots or dots forming all over my xbox360 disks

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DbzJohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 DbzJohno
Member since 2010 • 283 Posts

Here a weird question if anyone knows whats causing this. If I play my games for long periods of time (not in one sitting) Like 30 hours or more, I seem to get dots or spots forming all over my disks. The only way to see them is if you look at them under a light. There all over the disk. The wierd thing is that All my games are installed on the hard drive. The disk is in the drive but I don't think its constantly reading the disk. Whats causing these spots to form and do I have to worry about it ruining my games?

Jeff_Boldt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Jeff_Boldt
Member since 2006 • 867 Posts

can you wipe them off?

DbzJohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DbzJohno

@jeff bouldt

I never attempted to wipe my disks due to fear of causing scratches and smudges on disk.

Another thing I forgot to mention. I usually clean my disks if there's dust on it with condensed air.

Do you think the gas that s in the can is causing some sort of reaction and making these spots form on the disk when the disk is in the drive? Not all my disks have these spots. The last game I worked on I played over 30 hours and the disk is perfect.

dissembled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 dissembled
Member since 2003 • 357 Posts

Are the discs that's developing spots been exposed to the condensed air? And by condensed air, do you mean the tin cans or blowers? I highly recommend to use blowers (used to clean lenses and such) only. Especially ones that have a mechanism that prevent it from taking in materials when blowing air in. I own the large Giottos blower and it cleans my discs without any issues.

Jeff_Boldt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jeff_Boldt
Member since 2006 • 867 Posts

do not used condensed air cans to clean your disk, I almost garuntee that's what causing your dots, no biggy though. Basically when you condense air into one of those cans, it turn into liquid because of the pressure involved, when released, small particles of liquid can actually stay in the stream momentarily and land on your disc, which would in all likelihood cause those dots. Use an anti-static, or microfibre cloth like the ones you get to clean glasses with, should not only work better but will stop the dots. To be perfectly honest though, CD's are alot more durable than most people think, if I'm wearing sweat pants or a fairly soft shirt I'll just breath on my disc, press it onto the fabric and turn it a bit, as long as there's no grime or threads or buttons or whatever on the fabric you're disc will be fine and (i find) turns out a lot cleaner than with any other method.

If you choose to try my lazy method, just be careful.

DbzJohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DbzJohno

@jeff_boldt

@dissembled

Thank you guys for respondindg to my problem. I'll stop using the condensed air right away. To think I thought I was taking good care of my disks but in fact I might be damaging them myself. The next new game I have I'll play without using the condensed air and see what happens. Just one more question. Can the laser in the drive cause those spots to form on the disks also? I don't know if thats the problem considering the fact that all my games are installed on the hard drive.

akdiuuuryttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 akdiuuuryttt
Member since 2005 • 2854 Posts

yeah sometimes on my disks 1/5 of it is just a differant shade then the other part and even when buying new or just randomly happens, not sure if its bad because never had any problems but its weird

oh yeah and its not dots its just one part of the disk

Blueberrehz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Blueberrehz
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
it's not the condensed air. the dots just form over time they happen to me too.