So..my Xbox has no picture, but has sound..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#1 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts
Picture went wacko, like negative colors and stuff, and i turned it off. Turned it back on, could hear everything in the background through sound, but had no picture whatsoever. Am i screwed? It's out of warranty, seeing as how i got it in 2006. Anything I can do fix this? I don't know if I'm willing to buy a new Xbox cable to test it out because I've researched this and it seems this happens to a lot of people. If it really is done, then..does this mean I need send it in to Microsoft? How much will it cost? Will it be worth it?
Avatar image for LedZeppelinpwnz
LedZeppelinpwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 LedZeppelinpwnz
Member since 2008 • 144 Posts
I've had the EXACT same problem,What happened is that over time your graphics card began to wear out and eventualy died.The same thing happened to me in Novemeber,You are basicly screwed,The cost to repair is $100 even,But takes up to 6 to 8 weeks to be back home to you.I Just bought an arcade for 199 seeing as how i already had all the other stuff.
MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MaddenBowler10
I've had the EXACT same problem,What happened is that over time your graphics card began to wear out and eventualy died.The same thing happened to me in Novemeber,You are basicly screwed,The cost to repair is $100 even,But takes up to 6 to 8 weeks to be back home to you.I Just bought an arcade for 199 seeing as how i already had all the other stuff.LedZeppelinpwnz
Oh yay...:) So since my poorly made console broke, I just simply have to buy another console($200) and wait for that to die again after 2 years..jesus christ.. I don't have enough money for a new Xbox 360..I have payments that need to be made. I wish there was a fix for this :(
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
My graphics card hasn't died yet and I've never heard of a system's graphics card breaking down before. I've had mine since 06 as well. First off, if you're using an HDTV and are using the 5 cables (blue, green, red, white, forgot the other color, think it was another red) , make sure that you plugged them into your tv correctly. Secondly make sure the switch on the cable is set correctly. If you're using the HDTV then make sure the switch is set to HDTV and not normal. Double check the above steps, EVEN IF you think you set them in right, you could be mistaken, just double and maybe even triple check. Next, make sure that the cable is plugged in tight to your 360 and your tv. You say you can hear sound but no video, meaning that part of the cable works. I'm guessing the cable is working fine and would doubt that only part of the cable wouldn't be working. Try your 360 on another tv, maybe a friend's if you don't have a spare, in order to determine if it's your 360 or something wrong with your HDTV setup.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#5 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
[QUOTE="LedZeppelinpwnz"]I've had the EXACT same problem,What happened is that over time your graphics card began to wear out and eventualy died.The same thing happened to me in Novemeber,You are basicly screwed,The cost to repair is $100 even,But takes up to 6 to 8 weeks to be back home to you.I Just bought an arcade for 199 seeing as how i already had all the other stuff.MaddenBowler10
Oh yay...:) So since my poorly made console broke, I just simply have to buy another console($200) and wait for that to die again after 2 years..jesus christ.. I don't have enough money for a new Xbox 360..I have payments that need to be made. I wish there was a fix for this :(

An arcade may be a good choice, here is why You're paying 100 dollars for a refurbished console, one that'll break perhaps, more likely then a Jasper or Falcon chipped Arcade. Now you bought a 360 in 2006, your warrenty expires sometime next year. It does not renew when you get the refurb from MS... I'd get the Arcade and pay the extra 99 for the additional three years protection and better chip, it makes a lot of sense
MaxXxKRISHxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 MaxXxKRISHxX
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts
this happened to me too. i sent it off the Microsoft and when i got it back, the letter attached with it said that they replaced the motherboard! the motherboard should not be able to break that easily, i only had it for 3 months.
Fear123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fear123456
Member since 2004 • 108 Posts

Listen. I had the same problem with mine. I called them up and told them I know that microsoft knows about this problem. she told me first that it would be a 100 bucks and I told her no. Then she put me on hold for about 10mins and told me that they fix it for free. It actually only took 6 days. I was very happy with that. If you have to pay 100 bucks it will come with a 90day warranty. I would agree that the best course of action is to buy an acarade. Then it would be brand new and have HDMI. If not 100 bucks still isnt that bad. Cheaper than what Sony would charge to fix a playstation.

Vashn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vashn
Member since 2008 • 1416 Posts

I agree with the guy who said to switch the HDD switch on the cords, had exact same problem before (was using a dif tv, than my normal one) and sound played, but no video. Than swapped and worked fine

would recomend trying before drawing conclusions tho, but not sure if its same issue..

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MaddenBowler10
Thanks a lot guys, unfortunately it will just be a long while before I buy a new 360. I will call Microsoft and see if they can fix it for free and if not then screw them. I'll just save up and buy an arcade.
djmonsterlb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 djmonsterlb
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I got the wacko sound and negative colours, and convinced myself I'd got a melted videocard or something else horrible.. Tried different scart leads and such but in the end it was just the switch on my av cable, it was set to tv but not as far as it could have gone, an extra little nudge fixed it. Happy and relieved my 360's working and im not gonna have to spend the next month waiting for it to travel the world.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Thanks a lot guys, unfortunately it will just be a long while before I buy a new 360. I will call Microsoft and see if they can fix it for free and if not then screw them. I'll just save up and buy an arcade.MaddenBowler10

You can try the good ol' my console has three red rings and it's under warranty trick. Not sure how successful it is but some people have gotten away with it.

Yo-gan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Yo-gan
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts
My brother had the exact same problem, we tried differnt cables and tv's but no joy. He eventually got an arcade 360 and just used his hard drive. He figured it worked out cheaper than a repair as he got an extra controller, a memory unit and a game with it. Plus like Toriko42 mentioned its most likly more reliable. Now though im trying to get his old broken 360 repaired, which is gonna cost me 80 euro, it sucks but yeah whatever. The problem is the repair helpline arnt really much help as they were meant to send out labels for the repair and still after months and several phone calls have done nothing.. *sigh* I should probably give up and just get an arcade aswell :lol:
halofanatic12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 halofanatic12
Member since 2008 • 655 Posts
yesterday mine screwed up and like everything turned blue so i turned off my xbox and turned it back on and it was fine
znator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 znator
Member since 2006 • 550 Posts
Picture went wacko, like negative colors and stuff, and i turned it off. Turned it back on, could hear everything in the background through sound, but had no picture whatsoever. Am i screwed? It's out of warranty, seeing as how i got it in 2006. Anything I can do fix this? I don't know if I'm willing to buy a new Xbox cable to test it out because I've researched this and it seems this happens to a lot of people. If it really is done, then..does this mean I need send it in to Microsoft? How much will it cost? Will it be worth it?MaddenBowler10
Nope, your Sound Card blew, and your warranty is gone to cover this, I would either call Microsoft and send it into them for repairs for a fee, or buy a Arcade and license transfer all your purchased stuff over to the new Xbox. You will need the old console ID number as well as the new console ID number to do this.
scarymovie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 scarymovie5
Member since 2007 • 1691 Posts
Same thing happened to me. You are basically screwed
nude_panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nude_panda
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="nude_panda"]its absolutely GAY the same thing just happened to me this very instant. im really not very happy. i dont even play it that much, 1 or 2 hours max before i leave it. ive only had it for 8 months. the last xbox i had broke within 2 months of me having it and when i rang up ms to get it fixed they told me they couldnt because they were developing the new version of the 360 or something? Soooooooo....... i bought an arcade switched the hardrive over managed to sell my old 360, some guy thought he could fix it cos it had red rings and i managed to sell it for a good 150 quid although i was still seriously pissed off at the time cos i couldnt fix it and had lost around 150 quid due the xbox failing. NOW i have to do the same thing again and i have only had this xbox for 8 months im not very happy and i dont think ms have spent enough money making these xbox 360s endurable to a few solid hours of playing. MICROSOFT MAKE XBOX BETTER AND GIVE US OUR MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think im gonna try and take out the whole xbox let it cool down then replace it again if there is any luck i will tell you but it is highly unlikley. what happened to your xbox when this happened? mine turned all red while i was playing cod4, coincidence seeing that my last xbox broke on the exact same game exact same map and the exact same gun i was holding. from there i tried to get to the dashboard cos i just thought it was the level but i didnt work then i turned it off and when i turned it on again no picture just sound
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
same problem with mine over year ago sadly. need repair. ws in midle of playing cod4 and the screen turned green reset it was good but went right back to it then reste again was black screen telling me call microsoft had send it off. then i had other time system was off and everything come home turn it on no video but sound and it was cable. i called microsoft they send me a new av cable then i called right back and went therought the whole thing again 4 days later i got 2 brand new cables lol so incase it happens again. if u call gamestop or game stores and ask if they test the xbox to see if it's the av cables they will if they have a used pair thats what i did and found out it was my av cord if it's xbox then it cost 97 bucks plus tax with this u get a refurbished xbox with a brand new warranty starting new 1 year for any problem and 3 for 4 rings and e74 if cable u can pick one up around 25-40 bucks
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
I've had the EXACT same problem,What happened is that over time your graphics card began to wear out and eventualy died.The same thing happened to me in Novemeber,You are basicly screwed,The cost to repair is $100 even,But takes up to 6 to 8 weeks to be back home to you.I Just bought an arcade for 199 seeing as how i already had all the other stuff.LedZeppelinpwnz
dude i bet your xbox didn't take no 6-8 weeks if it was last nov maby in 2006 but now every ones get their stuff back in no more then 3 weeks and thats usealy from calling them having a box sent to u then u take box to ups next day
RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts
[QUOTE="LedZeppelinpwnz"]I've had the EXACT same problem,What happened is that over time your graphics card began to wear out and eventualy died.The same thing happened to me in Novemeber,You are basicly screwed,The cost to repair is $100 even,But takes up to 6 to 8 weeks to be back home to you.I Just bought an arcade for 199 seeing as how i already had all the other stuff.MaddenBowler10

Yeah, Xbox 360's piss me off for this reason. I've went through 1 xbox, now this one has an open tray error. I just tap on it till my knuckles bleed and then it works for another week or so. Soon it will die...
Vashn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vashn
Member since 2008 • 1416 Posts

jeez, what do you guys do to your 360's? i play mine atleast 6 hours a day on most days (i have alot of free time, lol) and i drag it back and forth up and down stairs and between friend houses, it even fell out of my truck that seats are like 4 feet in the air and still works fine. i did get red rings once like a year back, but you guys like throwing it around or something, cuz i never get these problems lol

znator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 znator
Member since 2006 • 550 Posts

Ya, your graphics card is fried, and since your outta warrenty this is probably going to cost you more money then the 360 is worth in the long run, I would consider trashing the thing now and picking up a $200 Arcade model with Jasper (search Google on how to spot one) and move your Harddrive from the current system over to that and use the License Transfer tool to transfer the purchases over to your new box.