Someone tell me why Mass Effect even deserves a 7/10? (spoilers)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dinb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 dinb
Member since 2003 • 1185 Posts

I really wanted to like this game, but so far, there are many issues with it: (warning might have some spoilers)

1) The manual in the game and the one in the game are very crappy... it only told me what the D-pad does once. After I forgot, it never mentions it in the manual or anything leaving me to figure it out on my own

2) On the mission to get Dr. whatever, the daughter of the woman working with the bad guy.... I figure to go to a random planet in the mentioned system. Not much help there but I figure I take a shot. (I guessed correctly). Anyhow, I die once and the game sets me back all the way to the begining of the map. I learn to save and go on.

Now, at one point, I get ambushed. BIG ISSUES... why can't you skip a cinematic? I don't need to see the same thing 5 times over and over! PLus, the enemies are jumping around like crazy for a game that is supposed to be an RPG and about strategy.

Next, the enemies somehow magically surround my party even when they come from in front! When the battle starts, I get surround not sure where the heck the enemies are firing from.

Then, before fighting the final battle, the xbox 360 slows down to like 5 frames per second. I die since I can barely move... once again, the full cinematic.

Another issue, how the hell do you go back to the ship if you decided that you don't want to continue playing on a certain planet? Is there no way to tell the ship to pick you up? Would I be stuck if I went to a planet where the enemies were too difficult to beat?

Thanks, I ahd to get this off my chest after some frustration with the game.

danzoid_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 danzoid_101
Member since 2005 • 1592 Posts
LOL
timmotool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 timmotool
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
Im still trying to like it. I mean its a great game and all its just annoying. If you get what i mean. The story line is probably the only thing that really keeps me going. And dont get me started on vehicle combat :roll:
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

I really wanted to like this game, but so far, there are many issues with it: (warning might have some spoilers)

1) The manual in the game and the one in the game are very crappy... it only told me what the D-pad does once. After I forgot, it never mentions it in the manual or anything leaving me to figure it out on my own

2) On the mission to get Dr. whatever, the daughter of the woman working with the bad guy.... I figure to go to a random planet in the mentioned system. Not much help there but I figure I take a shot. (I guessed correctly). Anyhow, I die once and the game sets me back all the way to the begining of the map. I learn to save and go on.

Now, at one point, I get ambushed. BIG ISSUES... why can't you skip a cinematic? I don't need to see the same thing 5 times over and over! PLus, the enemies are jumping around like crazy for a game that is supposed to be an RPG and about strategy.

Next, the enemies somehow magically surround my party even when they come from in front! When the battle starts, I get surround not sure where the heck the enemies are firing from.

Then, before fighting the final battle, the xbox 360 slows down to like 5 frames per second. I die since I can barely move... once again, the full cinematic.

Another issue, how the hell do you go back to the ship if you decided that you don't want to continue playing on a certain planet? Is there no way to tell the ship to pick you up? Would I be stuck if I went to a planet where the enemies were too difficult to beat?

dinb

Well you are wrong

klausklaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 klausklaus
Member since 2005 • 268 Posts

It sounds more like you just stink at the game because the slowest my game ever got was 21fps and that is still extremely playable... you can skip cutscenes by pressing the x button... and you can return to your ship if you are in the mako and you press x... unless you are on a storyline planet... then you must finish the planet...

you seem like the most ignorant person I have ever had the displeasure of being near...

Squeets

100% signed. Come on, you just sound frustrated. Be fair to yourself and the game. Perhaps its just not your type of game. Is that possible? Its really easy on normal and even hardcore difficulty isnt a problem.

You need a manual to tell you what the digi pad does? It told you and you arent even smart enough to remember? What a bad game ME is! (You know, even Apes can learn things by trying out)

chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: -2

#7 chandlerr_360
Member since 2006 • 5078 Posts
Lol, yeah this guy is just ranting because he sucks at the game...either that or he is stuck on fighting Benezia.
silencers3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silencers3
Member since 2004 • 755 Posts

Visually alone ME deserves a 10/10 dude seriously wrinkles move when theytalk and smileon their faces,expressions are 100% on key,storyline in-depth,exploration of different planets (tons of planets!) not to mention DLC is gonna be massive with armor,weapons,and more stuff to do on the newer planets!!

every game has its bugs and ups and downs but for you saying that it don't deserve even a 7/10 is ludicrous and you should really quit gaming look how far it came from!! learn to appreciate what you have now. From a 8 bit Nintendo to a 3-d virtual world

white45e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 white45e
Member since 2006 • 2453 Posts

dinb

1) actually the manuel does tell u what the d pad does..

2) so the game sucks cause u forget to save ?

3) um this game is tacticial.. press the right bumper it does magical things

4) the game never slowed down for me and im 40 hours in

5) u press x to go back to ship....

it sounds like you just suck and shouldnt play mature games

spacebaboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 spacebaboon
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

dinb

turn to the back cover of the manual, all the controls are on there, including the D pad team commands. It's also in the manual, quite near the front, IIRC.

dinb

didn't slow down like that for me. something up with your 360? you have to watch the cinematics the first time round, but when you revisit them, hold down the B button and you skip them. maybe others work too. admittedly, this isn't explained, but I tried it, and it worked. also, you can skip through dialogue with the X button, this is explained in the manual.

dinb

on the non-main missions, get in the Mako and press X to get the ship to retrieve you. you can't get out of the main missions, true, but the game adapts to the difficulty to your level. I played it on normal, and didn't lose many fights, I think veteran is a better level to play it on.

dinb

I agree that it has its frustrations, and won't appeal to everyone, but the amazing storyline, voice acting, artwork and graphics, and feeling like you're in a movie that you can control make it a 9/10 for me, or perhaps an 8.5. it has its problems that could probably have been solved had they worked on it another 6 months, but it's still one of my favourite gaming experiences on the 360, and the plot is open enough for at least one sequel, so hopefully you'll enjoy that one more.

I'm currently replaying it to check out the alternative paths the dialogue and storyline can take, it's great fun being a b*stard!

Crzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Crzy1
Member since 2003 • 359 Posts

Hehe, I love how people always bash games like this. One of the main things that you have to do in Mass Effect is *spoiler* read the quests that it puts in your journal. Sure it would have been easier to be able to track them all and plot courses for the galaxy map, but it's far from impossible to read them. And theres nothing wrong with just flying to some random solar system in some random galaxy to see if there's anything to do there, had a bit of fun just driving around finding minerals. Wouldn't recommend the game to everyone, but I had a blast with it. Just wish there was more of a distinction between the way paragon and renegade played out, but that wasn't really major when the story was still a lot more engaging than most games.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts
Sounds like you just aint good at the game:| sad for you
matt2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 matt2012
Member since 2007 • 373 Posts

dinb

First of all on the backside of the manual in the case it says right there what the D-pad does. Next, there is nothing wrong with having to save a lot. It's part of the strategy of the game. Either save or end up going back a long ways.

You can skip cinematics...Don't go complaining about it if you don't even know what your talking about. Just press x to skip to your dialog parts. Enemies don't always surround you. By looking at your gamercard you only have finished 5% of the achievements which means you aren't very far at all. How can you judge all that by being barely into the game...

The frame rate barely drops at all, and DEFINITELY not 5 frames per second. You can also get back to your ship by pressing the x button while your in the mako. I believe that you can't do it combat though.

Next time your going to make a post like this, make sure you know what your talking about.

cleotis_max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cleotis_max
Member since 2007 • 979 Posts
All the issues you are complaining about are ridiculous.. Getting surrounded? Who's fault is that.. The games? Yeah right, put it on Easy then maybe youll have better luck. If you want the Normandy to pick you up simply press... ready? X. The D-Pad options aren't even necessary I figured out what the D-Pad did towards the end of the game in my first play through now im playing through it again with a new "Shepard" as a Vanguard and it's a lot more fun then being a Soldier.
T_0_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 T_0_D
Member since 2007 • 1128 Posts

Ha ha ha ha...the TC is complaining about having to save? I remember the "good old" days of the NES and Final Fantasy (before their where roman numerals tacked on the end) and you had to save after every battle because every two steps you had a random encounter and nothing was scalled to your level so you could just get your a** handed to you at any moment. Learn how to play a RPG and use your powers and some strategy and you will do fine.

p.s. Does anyone else remeber in FF having your tank "drag" the rest of the dead party back to town so you could reserrect everyone? Oh the tense b.s. of having to trek across the map with only one party member still alive praying that you would not run into anything your fighter could not handle. Wow, games have really come a long way in the last fifteen years.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#16 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
hahah, nicejoke of a thread :lol:
DELTAsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DELTAsnake
Member since 2003 • 802 Posts
If it wasn't for the elevators and repeated buildings ME would be in with a shot at GOTY, just because you can't figure out a game dosn't make it bad.
dinb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dinb

Ok first of all, I did figure how to skip dialogue based cinematics... how do you skip ones that are out of your control? Why should it be up to me to figure out to hold B or whatever the other person suggested? I tried pressing all the other buttons and none of the skipped the cinematic.

Next, it just happened that I first landed on a story planet so there was no way to get back to mako, but you should be able to get through your thick skulls why it would be frustrating not being able to get back to the ship on a somewhat challenging level before realizing that it is part of the story.

As far as looking at the back of the manual, granted, that was dumb on my part. However, to whom ever said the D-pad is not needed, I don't know what game you are playing budy if you didn't use it at all.

Someone said that the right bumper does magic!? For me all it does is assign powers for team members to use and assigns a power to that button... is there a way to freeze the game and sign individual movement controls for each of your squad members.

As far as me being sorround being my own fault that is BS... when the fight starts after a cinematic all of a sudden there are enemies all around even though there were none there when I was coming to the place of the battle.

And yes the game did slow down to 5fps, it was probably a glitch or something, but it was unplayable until I died and the level reloaded.

I really enjoyed KOTOR2 so I do enjoy these kinds of games and I wouldn't say that I am bad at video games in general, but there are some pretty annoying things in this game. Having said that, the character models are the best I have seen yet.

msdd9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#19 msdd9
Member since 2007 • 2957 Posts

It sounds more like you just stink at the game because the slowest my game ever got was 21fps and that is still extremely playable... you can skip cutscenes by pressing the x button... and you can return to your ship if you are in the mako and you press x... unless you are on a storyline planet... then you must finish the planet...

you seem like the most ignorant person I have ever had the displeasure of being near...

He's right for the most part. I wouldn't say your ignorant or say you stink at the game, but his facts about the game are all true. Also I want to note that there is a place in the manual that tells you what the D-pad does (I had to look for it too because I forgot it's on the back of the manual). The whole lack of checkpoints really ticked me off too. I never had a serious frame rate problem, I'm sorry you do that really ruins a game. I think it's a really great game that is brought down by a few technical and gameplay issues. I gave it a 9.5 and I think that if you look through the issues it deserves that score.

dinb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dinb

msdd9

He's right for the most part. I wouldn't say your ignorant or say you stink at the game, but his facts about the game are all true. Also I want to note that there is a place in the manual that tells you what the D-pad does (I had to look for it too because I forgot it's on the back of the manual). The whole lack of checkpoints really ticked me off too. I never had a serious frame rate problem, I'm sorry you do that really ruins a game. I think it's a really great game that is brought down by a few technical and gameplay issues. I gave it a 9.5 and I think that if you look through the issues it deserves that score.

I like that you are keeping an open mind... I am sure that in the end I will see the game as a lot better than I do now. I found the same thing with KOTOR2 where I felt that the whole part in the mining facility was boring but then it was great. However, to say that this game doesn't have any minor issues would be the joke of the year.

ReckHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ReckHavoc
Member since 2003 • 1286 Posts

Next, it just happened that I first landed on a story planet so there was no way to get back to mako, but you should be able to get through your thick skulls why it would be frustrating not being able to get back to the ship on a somewhat challenging level before realizing that it is part of the story.dinb

Ok dude, if you bothered to read your journal.. you would know which planet's are part of the story.

msdd9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#22 msdd9
Member since 2007 • 2957 Posts
Also you asked about "freezing" the game to assign movements to your squadmates to do so hold the right button (bumper) and then use the left stickto select the move you want and theA button to actuallydo it. There are on screen instructions on how to do this.
PhantomNemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 PhantomNemesis
Member since 2004 • 265 Posts

So you are saying that the game should be 7/10 because of a few minor issues? Honestly, a few minor issues that never really seem to pop out often is not worth such a large points removal. When you say you are surrounded, hold RB, and you can pause, look around and deal out what you need. Use cover often, and tell your teamates to find some too. Use grenades and all your abilities, and you'll never be surrounded or in a fight you can't win.

I'm on my second playthrough right now, and have never had the framerate drop below 30 or so (a guess). I've never had problems with being surrounded, and die only when I do something stupid or have enough balls to fight something like a Geth Colussus on foot. If you are having trouble, reduce the difficulty, or take things slower, and think of new solutions.

This game is honestly excellent, you just need to take your time, read and remember the manual. Ignore the bugs when they do come up, and save often, you will love it then.

angelfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 angelfly
Member since 2003 • 4494 Posts

1) Whos fault is that? Maybe you should pick up and read the actual manual.

2) Thats also your fault. The autosave isn't a substitute for you saving yourself.

3) You can't skip the cinematics but you can skip through the conversations using 'x'

4) Never experienced enemies magically surrounding me

5) The final battle never slowed down at all for me. Might be a problem with your 360 or disc

6) Get inside your Mako and press 'x' and it'll ask if you want to return.

Vic_Vega1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Vic_Vega1994
Member since 2003 • 1397 Posts

dinb

The real problem with this isthat you just suck at RPGs like Mass Effect. I rented the game and learned everything it just 2 minutes so you must need a huge learning curve to play any RPG

__MasterVAL__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 __MasterVAL__
Member since 2006 • 519 Posts
Dude, to get back in your ship from ANY planet, ALL you do is press X and it will ask you if you want back in the Normandy... DUH!!! :roll:
Avatar image for -Grits_N_Gravy-
-Grits_N_Gravy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Grits_N_Gravy-
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Mass Effect does have frame rate dips, sudden texture popups, and ai that has its own issues, but still, learn to live with it and youll have a blast, me says game kicks ass %100 (2nd play through Vangaurd), oh and Mass Effect is scheduled to be a trilogy so they gots lots of time tomake things perfect, another thingwhats with The Fan mission, how do you find the guy again to kickstart it

HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts
wow to me it just seems like u suck at this game and ur a big whiner...first off..ne one who plays RPG's knoes to always save non stop...duh...second...there is strategy..its called usin cover and movin around nice and slow and pickin off one enemy at a time...and also...did u try hitting ne of the buttons to get back to ur ship...pretty lame that u can't figure out how to get back on the ship..if u just fumble wit the buttons for a few seconds u'd figure it out...just calm down..take a chill pill and pay attention when u play and u'd prabably do alot better
PureDante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PureDante
Member since 2007 • 925 Posts
Another fine example of "DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE"
Devil_inMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Devil_inMe
Member since 2006 • 140 Posts

dinb

1) If u can't remember the actions of the D-pad, thats really bad...its only four buttons, and through the use of them, u can figure out what they do....by pushing up, an arrow is created and the people got there, by pushing left, your guys follow u, by pushing down, they stay still, and by pushing right, they attack the thing your attacking. It's not that hard and i figured them out by just pushing the buttons, pretty self explanatory.

2)U can skip dialouge by pushing the X button, this lets u go through that "cinematic" in about 10 seconds

3) I don't really understand your concerns with the ship....if your in the mako, u can press X and return to the ship...if your on a planet thats part of the main story, u just have to go to the port where your ship is, not that difficult.

All of your complaints, except for the frame rate issue, seem to be a problem with u, either u don't understand the mechanics of the game, or your too lazy to try and figure them out

Avatar image for online-predator
online-predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 online-predator
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts
sorry but your just wrong, i dont think its the holy grail of gaming but use the X BUTTON and i wrong it in 720p on 42 in in hdmi and it never gets that slow. visually superior to ass creed for ex... mind you its an rpg. which slows down gameplay in itself. not a freakin fragfest(rpg may not be everybodys cup of tea). i dont have much love for them myself.but original poster is still just wrong
7thLayerSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 7thLayerSlayer
Member since 2005 • 219 Posts

Blah, Blah, Blah, cry, cry, cry, btch, btch, btch

dinb
Avatar image for deactivated-58c0b87340f8b
deactivated-58c0b87340f8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 deactivated-58c0b87340f8b
Member since 2007 • 1988 Posts
Lol, yeah this guy is just ranting because he sucks at the game...either that or he is stuck on fighting Benezia.chandlerr_360
dude this game is easy
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#34 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

The framerate sucks, thats the only problem.

Theres NOTHING going on, on-screen that would make a game run at that Crap frames per second.

I always get disk unreadable when I play, Idk why. It pisses me off.

Mass effect is really good game, but the damn technical issues...

Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Patriot298
Member since 2006 • 1187 Posts
Well I think Mass Effect should have at-least gotten a 9 myself. The visuals (Facial Expressions) in this game are remarkable! Awesome!!! However I do hate the save issue. I was at the end of a level got killed had to play the whole level again! Kind of wears out the replay value.:roll:
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#36 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Mass Effect is soooooo good.

9.5/10 imo

deadFalling

Forum Posts