Single-player or Multi-player?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Silent_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Silent_Jon
Member since 2008 • 98 Posts

I know this question has probably been asked several times, but I thought it might be interesting to get some people's opinions.

I've kind of grown-up as a gamer. I used to spend countless hours logged onto Halo 2 multiplayer, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory multiplayer, or leveling up a character is a MMO. But I stopped gaming altogether for about a year, and since I just got a 360 my gaming habits have really changed.

I love beating people online as much as the next guy, but sometimes it's nice to play alone through a good, story-driven game like BioShock or Silent Hill.

Which do you like better?

PS- I'm new to the site and this is my first topic so be gentle.

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
RAWR lol it depends on what mood im in :P
xhizors96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xhizors96
Member since 2008 • 173 Posts

Hmm.. Im not sure myself, maybe multiplayer cause after i beat the single player campaighn thats usually it for me , but with

multiplayer like in halo 3 you just keep playing and playing.

-NOXiK_AOPK-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -NOXiK_AOPK-
Member since 2008 • 352 Posts

I know this question has probably been asked several times, but I thought it might be interesting to get some people's opinions.

I've kind of grown-up as a gamer. I used to spend countless hours logged onto Halo 2 multiplayer, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory multiplayer, or leveling up a character is a MMO. But I stopped gaming altogether for about a year, and since I just got a 360 my gaming habits have really changed.

I love beating people online as much as the next guy, but sometimes it's nice to play alone through a good, story-driven game like BioShock or Silent Hill.

Which do you like better?

PS- I'm new to the site and this is my first topic so be gentle.

Silent_Jon
i totallly know what you mean....just the other day i was playin COD:4 online i was kicking a55 but all of a soden....i left....and just started to play the campaing i was having fun without having to worry about raking up points or killing the guy thts just tlkn mad sh*** over the headset....i was enjoying myself....
KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts

i understand TC, im afraid that this generation will change gaming into more of a multiplayer community. if it doesn't have a multiplayer/co-op component, it's not "worth it" (unless the game is by a big reliable dev like valve/bethesda/bioware ETC.).

A good example of this is how people are reacting to how Fable 2 won't have co-op right out of the box. they are outraged! i mean you still get to experience everything, you just cant experience it with a friend til about 5-7 days after release.

This makes me fear for the great single player franchises like Silent Hill, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Half Life, Ninja Gaiden, etc. because they dont have multiplayer components, they aren't selling as well as they should (although they do sell well regardless) and maybe one day NO ONE will buy single player only games, and that's just a nightmare

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I love Team Fortress, but if I had to choose, I'd take singleplayer over mutliplayer. All my most memorable moments in gaming are from the campaigns of RPGs and a few shooters.

Avatar image for im-a-roustabout
im-a-roustabout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 im-a-roustabout
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts

I know many 13-16 year olds are going to have a problem with me saying this but honestly I never really could stand multi-player. Maybe it's b/c I'm 24 and have been gaming single player since atari. Maybe it's b/c I was able to play multi-player when I was 8, playing Doom over a 28.8 BPS modem, on a 3-86 computer. It's weird how it just now got big, I remember doing this crud even once 56k modems came out and I had a 4-86 computer *does anybody know what I"m talking about?* Bottom line is. I can't stand people online. I can't stand how cheap people wanna be, doint the same move over and over again so long as they win, to the stupid fart jokes are noob this and noob that online. These sissys smack talk cuz they know my fists can't find there pre-pubescent faces, but all jokes and threats set aside, Single player is right for me. Though its sad b/c now-a-days the single player exp has taken a back seat. It takes a mere 6-8 hours to beat practically ANY game out there, while they claim "100's of hours of replay value b/c of a GREAT online exp" which to me is BS! I would rather be going through differ levels and an engaging story line, then playing the same 8 maps over and over and over again just running around shooting people. I get no satifaction out of doing this just b/c there is a real person behind the controls, cuz no matter what I can't see them so it feels just like AI to me. Sorry for the long message, I just can't see what the big deal is with multi-player, and my beloved single player exp is slowly being taken away from me. Maybe I just don't like it cuz i got burned out on it when I was 8-10 playing doom. I just don't know, all i know is I'm bout to continue playing oblivion, one of the last engaging single player exp's left.

p.s; read the review for OBlivion. At teh end, the writer even says "this game is great, it's just too bad there is no multiplayer....just kidding". Which tells me even if the game wouldn't even make sense going multi-player people still want it cuz I guess people are slowly losing the ability these days to play by themselves, which leads me to my last point.

360's achevements. This stupid gimmick is a true testament to just how important multi-player is to everybody. You don't get anything for racking up a high score, except to be immature and make fun of everybody else around you who does not have as much as you. It's become an imaginary pissing contest between tweens all over the net. And if you don't have alot of points your a "noob" and everybody starts to psychologically urinate on you. I bring this up, b/c people just wanna get on the net to show off, which I could care less b/c bottom line is, my gamer scores or how well i frag people online and rub there noses in defeat has never EVER directly related to how much a$$ I get from the ladies. I'd go as far as to say the MORE points you have the LESS you're prolly getting ;)

vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts

I love MP, keeps me playing for a long time and makes me feel that 60$ was put to good use. And playing with friends over live is a blast.

But, games like Oblivion and Mass Effect still have a preference for me, it's impossible for me to be that drawn into a MP game. And while i might not get as many hours out of it (save oblivion), the ones i do get are way more memorable.

DarkFalcon1956

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DarkFalcon1956
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Singe-Player. I grew up playing single player games on consoles like the N64 and GC. I enjoy multiplayer casually, but at the end of the day I get far more out of a good single player expereince than a multiplayer one. Some multiplayer games I like more than others, but I've just never gotten into it all that much. I like a good plot-drivern game that can effect you in the same way a good movie or book can, and you just can't get that from multiplayer. But if a good single-player game has a half-decent multiplayer mode, it's all the better.
ZOnikJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZOnikJJ
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts
I need both to be honest. I'm not sure how my single player hours vs my multiplayer hours stack up against each other (because of WoW mostly), but I think I've spent about the same amount of time on both. I love co-op missions. Playing with friends is great. Multiplayer does not always need to be competitive, though it is still very fun :)
shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I was never a fan of Multiplayer ... then Call of Duty 4 came along. I prefer the single player experience opposed to multiplayer, but I enjoy CoD4 MP on weekends or NCAA 09 / Madden 09 with buddies from work - then we get to the office and talk crap about each other only to quickly change the topic to business when our boss comes around.
EliteImpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EliteImpulse
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I get the most thrill from gaming when i'm playing multiplayer. i just like playing and being social at the same time. I try not to pay 60$ for a game that doesn't have a solid online multiplayer feature. I loved Bioshock and Assassin's Creed, but i don't think they're worth 60$ when they're only good for one or 2 play-throughs. I love the stories in a lot of single-player games, I just can't really get into them more than once.