Single-player games "gone in 3 years"

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#51 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts

Gears of War 3 is NOT a single player game. It is a CO-OP game that can be played alone.HilbillyRokstar

Just remember that if you say that its not a single-player game, you effectively mean to me that there is no way to play it alone (like MAG, for instance). And funnily enough, you immediately contradict yourself by saying that you can play it alone! Make up your mind!!!

And Rainbow Six Vegas and Gears of War does have an offline, single-player mode (which no one can join in on), so I don't really understand your statement. Do you see the term "single-player" as a genre? or as a mode?

Huneybadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Huneybadger
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Totally disagree with the multiplayer. Some times I hate LIVE. Like I'm playing madden or something and my cousins are constantly messengering me to join them in black ops or something. Can't a brother just screw around in Trials with a lil peace n' quite?
allboutkiln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 allboutkiln
Member since 2010 • 508 Posts

I don't care if developers tack on multiplayer options to core single-player genres like RPGs, as long as they don't do so at the expense of the single-player experience. Speaking for myself (but probably echoing plenty of gamers), I don't always WANT to interact with other people when I play.Elraptor
My sentiments exactly, the single player experience is all about intimacy and individual choice. I would'nt want it any other way!

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]Gears of War 3 is NOT a single player game. It is a CO-OP game that can be played alone.koospetoors

Just remember that if you say that its not a single-player game, you effectively mean to me that there is no way to play it alone (like MAG, for instance). And funnily enough, you immediately contradict yourself by saying that you can play it alone! Make up your mind!!!

And Rainbow Six Vegas and Gears of War does have an offline, single-player mode (which no one can join in on), so I don't really understand your statement. Do you see the term "single-player" as a genre? or as a mode?

The computer AI simply takes the place of the other player/players. So it's still a form of co-op, like it or not. Same thing with RE5.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#55 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I hope we don't see single-player games disappear. I prefer single-player over multiplayer. I like the story, characters, settings, and the awesome, memorable moments of campaigns. You can't go wrong with the solitude and unwinding of playing single player. IMO, multiplayer can tend to be mindless and you have to worry about cheaters, not to mention that lobbies are full of immature adults and kids talking nonsense incessantly.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11996 Posts
[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"][QUOTE="koospetoors"]

Gears of War 3 is NOT a single player game. It is a CO-OP game that can be played alone.HilbillyRokstar

The computer AI simply takes the place of the other player/players. So it's still a form of co-op, like it or not. Same thing with RE5.

Co-op with whom? The AI? That's not co-op. That is like saying you have a game with no online capabilities but the game has bots you can play against outside of the campaign. So you call this game multiplayer because there are other 'players' trying to kill you. That is not multiplayer either.
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts
[QUOTE="gatsbythepig"] Co-op with whom? The AI? That's not co-op.

LOL. I agree, playing a game with AI on your team =/= co-op. That's funny that someone would even think that. Co-op allows for communication, strategy, and in the moment planning. Unless someone is on the same level mentally as a computer player there is no reason to think that is co-op.
javafriek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 javafriek
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts

[QUOTE="koospetoors"]

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]Gears of War 3 is NOT a single player game. It is a CO-OP game that can be played alone.HilbillyRokstar

So using your theory would mega man be multiplayer because you fight AI bosses? Single player will never die out.

IIRiSEII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 IIRiSEII
Member since 2011 • 66 Posts

Single-player games add up to be about 89% of the games that I cherish due to their unforgettable campaigns and the feeling that only YOU get to accomplish something. Most multiplayer games make it seem like you don't have a spine and need help from others.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

So using your theory would mega man be multiplayer because you fight AI bosses? Single player will never die out.javafriek

Exactly, although I think you meant to say co-op and not multiplayer. Super Mario Bros is the original co-op game! LOL. Single player games will not be gone, probably ever. The guy who wrote the original article just wanted something to write about.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#66 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

Not reading all of that wall (use paragraphs) but they def wont be.

Dawq902
I agree, most gamers still prefer single player games, only have the people that buy cod play it online, so the whole single player games are dying talk is pointless imo, they will always be around.
Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
I do not see single player games ever going away.
gcfreak898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68 gcfreak898
Member since 2003 • 2031 Posts

Too long and I disagree. Single player games have been a while since the land before time. Trust me it'll be around.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#69 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

read the first three lines.. I dought his opinion meensanything to most gamers