Should 360 owners pay for online content?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

oudman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 oudman
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

After buying a game that can cost around 80 bucks in total should 360 users have to pay for so called "extra" content? What is your opinion?

- 2 examples: Gears of war = free, Call of Duty = $$$$$$

- This issue is ridiculous because in the last generation of consoles we used either cheats or unlocked levels by playing. Now corporations want to squeeze every last penny they can out of us even though we have already paid 60 - 80 bucks for a program that if done illegally can be free. I think companies should grow some customer loyalty by providing free content like Gears instead of cheating its fans out of a couple of bucks. By supplying extra content to gamers, companies should be increasing values of games and not prices. Unless games start coming in at around $40 + billed extra content this motion to pay for extra downloads is crazy. It will extend life of games but kill other options. Right now you can order a $100ish copy of halo 3. I'm sure its a sweet game but come on... you can get a 360 for 3 copies of halo then. What are your thoughts? Does anybody like the motion to pay for extra content?

xelloss88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xelloss88
Member since 2006 • 5187 Posts
Ya but you also have a choice to download it. They don't force you to download it. I think there should be more free stuff and also it should be cheaper. The cost vs the little cost it takes to develop extra stuff is just not right. You pay 60 bucks for an entire game but you have to pay 3 bucks for one map. or 10 bucks for a few modes. It just doesn't balance out.
ashuncc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ashuncc2
Member since 2004 • 886 Posts
It would depend. If the content seems like a intregal part of the storyline, then it should probably be free. This content should have been included at time of release. But, most dlc is add-ons, so it helps add to the enjoyment of a game. The dlc is not intregal and only for amusement. In this situation, you should have to pay for the content. Company resources are required to produce these opportunites. In a perfect world, everything would be free....to bad this is reality and money is required to live.
Pepperpop10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Pepperpop10
Member since 2006 • 1548 Posts

I agree with the first guy.

playa42018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 playa42018
Member since 2004 • 1364 Posts
It's really up to the businesses (keyword: businesses) to charge what they want. It's just fortunate we can choose what we want to buy as consumers. I agree with you that it's lame to have to pay for extra stuff, such as skins, themes, and costumes, but for extra levels and maps, I can understand why companies might charge a little bit because it takes man hours to create maps and levels, however if the main game is short, I would be mad because they might have taken stuff out. I've never bought a single dashboard theme, icon packs, or any of that kameo stuff because it doesn't add anything to the game and is a waste of money in my opinion, but I wouldn't might spending a few dollars on new maps or REAL content for a game, EX: Halo 2 Map pack.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
deactivated-5f033ecf40fed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
Member since 2004 • 2665 Posts
I think they should take a page from Bungie's book: the content can cost money, but it should become free at some point later on.
Apocalypse3210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Apocalypse3210
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
If you noticed, the Gears content was only free because Discovery paid for it, not because Epic did it for free. And the only content that should be free is the stuff available on day 1. after that,it takes time and money to make os it is only logical that they charge for it.
xelloss88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xelloss88
Member since 2006 • 5187 Posts
If you noticed, the Gears content was only free because Discovery paid for it, not because Epic did it for free. And the only content that should be free is the stuff available on day 1. after that,it takes time and money to make os it is only logical that they charge for it.
Apocalypse3210
Ya any content that comes within a month of the game shipping should be free. otherwise we can argue they just left it out of the game to make us pay more money to get it.
russian4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 russian4life
Member since 2006 • 436 Posts
I dont think it should be free... look at the PS3 the online gameplay, it is free, and no one is ever plaing online... the same exact thing would happen with the 360 if online was free.
KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts
I undestatnd your point of view, i do think things like pic packs, and costumes an such should not be charged extra does take that much to pull off, however extra content as far as massive extra levels like oblivion has been getting i can see, you cant just give that stuff away. But it is like someone else said your choice you dont have too do it.
stoutlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 stoutlad
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts
I undestatnd your point of view, i do think things like pic packs, and costumes an such should not be charged extra does take that much to pull off, however extra content as far as massive extra levels like oblivion has been getting i can see, you cant just give that stuff away. But it is like someone else said your choice you dont have too do it. KurupSoldr
Yeah, pic. packs and themes should be free. They aren't hard to put together. I am willing to pay for large content addons, but not ridiculous things that EA does ( alternate uniforms?? cheat codes??) The beauty is that we as consumers can voice our opinion quite readily by either buying the content or not.
Avatar image for Chocoholic_Jedi
Chocoholic_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chocoholic_Jedi
Member since 2005 • 234 Posts
This depends on the type of content. A good example of a bad use of paying for dl-able content is Need for Speed Carbon. They're making you pay for things you should be unlocking through the game...not to mention cheat codes.
silentstriderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 silentstriderm
Member since 2005 • 496 Posts

I dont think it should be free... look at the PS3 the online gameplay, it is free, and no one is ever plaing online... the same exact thing would happen with the 360 if online was free.russian4life

That and 1. No one has a PS3 and 2. The PS3 doesn't have any good games

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

Online content should and shouldn't be free...

IF the content is released within about a week of the games launch it should be free no matter what it is (unless it is gamerpic or themes, but i don't consider than content). I mean if they had the time to get the content out to us in a week then that probably means they had time to polish their game perhaps a tid bit more... mabye nothing noticable, but still.

Now IF the content is released and is essential for the game, like the Kameo online co-op pack which should have been with the game when it was released, should be free (like the Kameo pack was). In other words the Lumines Live thing should never happen. Taking away part of the game just so i have to spend 22.50 for the whole game is crap. Now i wouldn't have minded so much if it would have taken them weeks to get it out, but releasing the extra content with the launch of the game and having it be 600 points is uncalled for (It may not have been same day, but it was less than a week).

Now for content like maps, new side missions, or a new story line that should be priced and not free. Now the only problem is when maps are released like Call of Duty 2 maps and they are too much, i mean 5 bucks for 2 maps is rediculous. The other problem is while it does cost the company to create these maps or new items, it does not cost them to have them be the same price for a year or more. If the maps didn't sell then they would have lowered the price, but why not lower it after a year or two. I mean people may not be playing the game anymore, but the one person who wants the maps to be lower may still buy it if they become lowered. While the choice is up to the people to buy it or not it can still be rediculous.

Now many people may think the prices are too high..... some are and some are not, but do you want to know why some are so high? It is only because they know people will still buy the content if they liked the game. If people actually took a stand and didn't buy anything they thought was overpriced (and enough people did so) the prices could come down. Consider GRAW for an example..... people don't want to spend 75 bucks on a game and content while expansions on the PC cost $5-$15 more and have double the content (some do but some don't).

Should 360 owners pay for online content....... Well i think you could have answered that yourself..... it is up to the person to decide if they want to spend money or not. I mean nobody is forcing you to buy it and most games now allow you to keep playing online without it.

I still think Bungie is smart and knows people are impaitent....... They want everyone to play all the maps so they can keep the people to matches even, but still make a buck out of it.

w7w7w7w7w7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 w7w7w7w7w7
Member since 2006 • 4891 Posts
Yes, because game company's have to hire people to create new content. The only reason that GOW is free is due to the fact that Discovery channel payed for it for promotion, until that deal came around it was going to be a 800 point download.
tatu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tatu2004
Member since 2004 • 17173 Posts

I agree with the first guy.

Pepperpop10

same here...

russian4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 russian4life
Member since 2006 • 436 Posts

[QUOTE="russian4life"]I dont think it should be free... look at the PS3 the online gameplay, it is free, and no one is ever plaing online... the same exact thing would happen with the 360 if online was free.silentstriderm

That and 1. No one has a PS3 and 2. The PS3 doesn't have any good games

Good point
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#18 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

After buying a game that can cost around 80 bucks in total should 360 users have to pay for so called "extra" content? What is your opinion?

- This issue is ridiculous because in the last generation of consoles we used either cheats or unlocked levels by playing. Now corporations want to squeeze every last penny they can out of us even though we have already paid 60 - 80 bucks for a program that if done illegally can be free. I think companies should grow some customer loyalty by providing free content like Gears instead of cheating its fans out of a couple of bucks. By supplying extra content to gamers, companies should be increasing values of games and not prices. Unless games start coming in at around $40 billed extra content this motion to pay for extra downloads is crazy. It will extend life of games but kill other options. Right now you can order a $100ish copy of halo 3. I'm sure its a sweet game but come on... you can get a 360 for 3 copies of halo then. What are your thoughts? Does anybody like the motion to pay for extra content?

oudman

Games are usually bought for $60 or less. You have a choice if you want to download it or not. The developers work extra to add the new content, meaning that you should pay for it. They don't have to add anything to the game. Some downloads are free or become free or cheaper in time.

Right now you can order a $100ish copy of halo 3. I'm sure its a sweet game but come on... you can get a 360 for 3 copies of halo then.

.....So what? People will still buy it and what it comes with isn't even on the main game. If people want the extra disks or helmet they can pay.

Now corporations want to squeeze every last penny they can out of us even though we have already paid 60 - 80 bucks for a program that if done illegally can be free.

Shouldn't that give them incentive to charge more.

Avatar image for guardianlegend7
guardianlegend7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 guardianlegend7
Member since 2005 • 536 Posts
semi-Off topic but.. I wish game companies would separate single player and multiplayer portions of their games into separate products. I never play Rainbow Six Vegas's singleplayer anymore, only the multiplayer. Meanwhile, I never play Gears of War multiplayer, only the singleplayer sometimes. I never played Neverwinter Nights 1's singleplayer, only multiplayer. I never play Guild Wars' campaign, only PVP. So nearly every game I play.. I only play a portion of the game. So I feel like I'm paying for additional content already, content I didn't really want to begin with!
JohnWinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JohnWinger
Member since 2007 • 1903 Posts

- This issue is ridiculous because in the last generation of consoles we used either cheats or unlocked levels by playing. Now corporations want to squeeze every last penny they can out of us even though we have already paid 60 - 80 bucks for a program that if done illegally can be free. I think companies should grow some customer loyalty by providing free content like Gears instead of cheating its fans out of a couple of bucks. By supplying extra content to gamers, companies should be increasing values of games and not prices. Unless games start coming in at around $40 + billed extra content this motion to pay for extra downloads is crazy. It will extend life of games but kill other options. Right now you can order a $100ish copy of halo 3. I'm sure its a sweet game but come on... you can get a 360 for 3 copies of halo then. What are your thoughts? Does anybody like the motion to pay for extra content?

oudman

Paying for downloadable content is ****ing STUPID!!!

I'm glad Epic didn't charge for those 2 additional maps.

lightningman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lightningman10
Member since 2004 • 55 Posts
I think that all that stuff should be free because you already pay so much for the game initally so why pay more just for another map or weapon. It does not make sense, give that stuff for free! I dont want to have to pay over 100 dollars in total for a game to have a couple extra features.