Seriously, why even bother downloading Xbox origionals...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mufcbarlow1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 mufcbarlow1
Member since 2005 • 1364 Posts

When theyre so much cheaper to buy a hard copy from a shop or ebay and they dont take up like 5GB of your Hard drive...

silly M$

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
Digital distribution is the future, get used to it.
jakedogg14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jakedogg14
Member since 2003 • 665 Posts

Digital distribution is the future, get used to it. SuperBeast

Yeah, it's the future. But for now, while it's still possible to get a hard copy of the game, there really isn't much benefit to downloading it.

On a side note, I really hate the idea of digital distribution being the future. I mean, what if your hard drive dies, or your dumb little brother decides to delete stuff off of it. Are you just screwed and have to pay for it again? And I hate the idea of having to buy bigger and bigger hard drives just to put more stuff on it, when I can just store a hard copy and not have to worry about it. Wow, I'm really rambling.

PRKiNG45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PRKiNG45
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

That's great, we live in the present though.

Why would I pay an extra $10 to buy a game that I can get at GameStop for probably $4? I liked the idea of Xbox Originals when it was first announced, but then like everything else they overcharged.

PiNwOrM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 PiNwOrM
Member since 2005 • 2030 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperBeast"]

On a side note, I really hate the idea of digital distribution being the future. I mean, what if your hard drive dies, or your dumb little brother decides to delete stuff off of it. Are you just screwed and have to pay for it again? And I hate the idea of having to buy bigger and bigger hard drives just to put more stuff on it, when I can just store a hard copy and not have to worry about it. Wow, I'm really rambling.

jakedogg14

Digital Distribution does not work that way. If something is deleted, you do not lose it. (as opposed to hard copies, where if you lose them, you ARE screwed). When you buy something on any online marketplace, like XBL, that item will always be registered to your account. Which means you can remove it, delete it, lose it, whatever, and redownload it whenever you like. It's actually safer than hardcopies.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts

agree, it's pointless.

if digital distribution is the future, then we don't have to worry about it. Because this is the present.

jakedogg14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jakedogg14
[QUOTE="jakedogg14"]

[QUOTE="SuperBeast"]

PiNwOrM

Digital Distribution does not work that way. If something is deleted, you do not lose it. (as opposed to hard copies, where if you lose them, you ARE screwed). When you buy something on any online marketplace, like XBL, that item will always be registered to your account. Which means you can remove it, delete it, lose it, whatever, and redownload it whenever you like. It's actually safer than hardcopies.

Well that's cool that XBL does that. But are all forms of digital download services that way?

And what about long term storage? I mean if you were able to download the original Super Mario on NES, do you think that account, or that service would still exist 23 years later?

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
Which is why I will probably quit gaming the next time a console makes me pay for a game I already have owned twice. It wasn't as bad when I could just keep my old system around and play the hard copies, but when I can't do that because the live server is down... that will be the end for me. They better fix that problem before it happens.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

When theyre so much cheaper to buy a hard copy from a shop or ebay and they dont take up like 5GB of your Hard drive...

silly M$

mufcbarlow1

Exactly.

GAME are selling loads of preowned xbox games for under £5, compared to having to spend £18 on 2100MS points to buy a 1200MS game. Conveniently priced to leave you with a lot of points left over, but not quite enough to buy another original

the_d_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_d_boy
Member since 2005 • 144 Posts
[QUOTE="PiNwOrM"][QUOTE="jakedogg14"]

[QUOTE="SuperBeast"]

jakedogg14

Well that's cool that XBL does that. But are all forms of digital download services that way?

And what about long term storage? I mean if you were able to download the original Super Mario on NES, do you think that account, or that service would still exist 23 years later?

I'm quite sure Itunes dones't wotk this way.

As for long term storage, and your hypothetical question, we can't download on NES so that doesn't matter, as for XBL we can access the stuff now, as for in 23 years time, thats a different thing, thats a very long time away. I imagine most sevrices wouldn't last that length of time. but as for Microsoft, they will probably keep Live going for as long as it's popular / has users to turn a profit.

I hope this makes sence I'm hungry and can't think properly when I'm hungry

moocow21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 moocow21
Member since 2004 • 1483 Posts
I'd be hard pressed to get a copy of some of those games for less than $15 including sales tax, shipping, and/or gas driving to store. No, I think I'd rather just download a game and be playing it in about an hour. That said, I've only bought one Xbox Original game (Fable) because I don't really care for any of the games up there (have Halo on PC). But I love buying games on Steam. Plus I rarely see games cheaper than $20 at Walmart, Kmart or Shopko (only places to buy games around here).
jakedogg14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jakedogg14
[QUOTE="jakedogg14"][QUOTE="PiNwOrM"][QUOTE="jakedogg14"]

[QUOTE="SuperBeast"]

the_d_boy

As for long term storage, and your hypothetical question, we can't download on NES so that doesn't matter, as for XBL we can access the stuff now, as for in 23 years time, thats a different thing, thats a very long time away. I imagine most sevrices wouldn't last that length of time. but as for Microsoft, they will probably keep Live going for as long as it's popular / has users to turn a profit.

I think you misunderstood me. Let's pretendthat we were able to download things on the NES back when it came out, and you downloaded some games onto it. Now fast forward 23 years later, and your pretend NES hard drive dies and all those games are gone. Do you think you'd still be able to re-download allof them today?

middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 middle-earth88
Member since 2006 • 1262 Posts
I belive all game-download sites do use an account and do save your purchases, Steam does this, GameStop does this. It would make absolutly no sense if they didn't. And on your example of the NES you could just download an emulator and download every one of your games onto your computer. Exactly like people do today.
grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 grayoldwolf
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

Digital distribution definitely is the future, and I'm looking forward to it. I think Xbox Originals is an experiment by MS to show that they can distribute large scale games (not just demos or Arcade games) digitally. It's working. Honestly, I don't think MS will even have a disc drive in their next generation console. It will all be digital distribution.

In answer to the original question though, you're right, it's pretty much pointless to download an Original if you can buy the disc cheaper. I just finished Chaos Theory last week, which I picked up used for about ten bucks. However, I'm thinking about getting Dreamfall, and I haven't seen that cheaper than $15, so I think I will probably DL that one just to check out the system.

The most important think about Originals is that they are a proof of concept exercise. Digital distribution is working on the 360, and working really well. How do you think we're going to get the much hyped extra content for GTAIV later this year? How many people actually went out and bought Shivering Isles when you could get it for the same price at home, without spending the time and gas to go to the store and pick it up?

YEPEE00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 4

#15 YEPEE00
Member since 2004 • 1277 Posts
just re-got fable and now i'm thinking the samething...?
Avatar image for seventy5cent832
seventy5cent832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 seventy5cent832
Member since 2007 • 1057 Posts
its pointless.... mabye if they made them cheaper then buying them at the store... but no they make them the same or more.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts
[QUOTE="jakedogg14"]

[QUOTE="SuperBeast"]

PiNwOrM

while i agree that its safter to have a digital form of a game (like i downloaded a psp game) but the xbox originals are a ripoff. The digital form should be CHEAPER than buying a copy of the game at the store. not MORE expensive. That is why I do not support "xbox originals" on XBL. $15 for a used xbox game would be a ripoff, ive seen games like Ninja Gaiden black for like $10 and you dont have to use up space on your tiny 20gb HD to play it. If M$ had cheaper options for upgrading the HD ($179 for a 120gb is a ripoff) AND made the Xbox originals cheaper, then yea i would think its a good idea.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
deactivated-5f033ecf40fed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
Member since 2004 • 2665 Posts
The assumption that makes all your 'digital distribution is the future' rambling wrong is the fact that by going to a download-only format, console companies would be missing out on a pretty large demographic: people who do not use internet on their machine at all. They still buy the console, they still buy games, they still generate revenue. If you remove them (by making an online-distribution only solution), you're removing lots of potential revenue. I don't see digital distribution as the future, merely another option for those who choose to use it.
wii_dude101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 wii_dude101
Member since 2007 • 318 Posts
Ninja Gaiden Black is 30$ new hard copy, and I have a xbox elite with 120 gigs not to menchin the closest Gamestop to us is 30 miles away.
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperBeast"]Digital distribution is the future, get used to it. jakedogg14

Yeah, it's the future. But for now, while it's still possible to get a hard copy of the game, there really isn't much benefit to downloading it.

Well take a look at the ps3 you can change HDD when ever you want and still use the old ones whenever you want so you could just switch HDD if you wanted to play some of your old games of course I'm getting way ahead of myself because Digital Distrobution is not the norm yet. When it is though it should be like XBLA where if you delete something it can be redownloaded for free omn that account I believe.

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts
[QUOTE="the_d_boy"][QUOTE="jakedogg14"][QUOTE="PiNwOrM"][QUOTE="jakedogg14"]

[QUOTE="SuperBeast"]

jakedogg14

I think you misunderstood me. Let's pretendthat we were able to download things on the NES back when it came out, and you downloaded some games onto it. Now fast forward 23 years later, and your pretend NES hard drive dies and all those games are gone. Do you think you'd still be able to re-download allof them today?

Well lets pretend this isn't a dumb pretend question and the answer is it depends. It depends on exactly how this anonymous DDS (Digital Distrobution Service) was designed. If it was designed like XBL with an account where all the stuff you buy is registered to your account then theoretically yes you could redownload them. If it was not designed like XBL and barring any other similar solution no you couldn't so like I said it depends.

Peter_Cheek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 Peter_Cheek
Member since 2007 • 640 Posts

So you don't have to buy a used scratched disc.

So you do not need to worry about scratching or breaking the disc.

For all the same reasons computer gamers would rather install there games.

The best reason....So I don't need to get off my couch and put in the disc every time I wan't to play.;)

Mwright68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mwright68
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperBeast"]Digital distribution is the future, get used to it. jakedogg14

well considering how even right now if you download something and you delete it you can just redownload it without paying.. it keeps track of what you pay for

THE-TRAP-CARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 THE-TRAP-CARD
Member since 2007 • 404 Posts
I think the Xbox Originals thing would be way beter if they put out games every week, like Xbox Live Arcade, lower the price to like 10 bucks, and offered new things in the games like new items, online play, etc. But then again, sometimes it doesn't matter if they add a couple new things to it, it's still a great game without that stuff. Plus, i've been debating buying Fable from Xbox Originals for a while now and the only reason i'm not going to is because i have finals coming up(im in high school) and i won't have much time.That, and WoW is alot better than Fable and i have to send in my 360 soon anyway, cause it's broken. So ya. Sorry for ranting.
Chunkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chunkman
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperBeast"]

jakedogg14

Hmmm, that is a good point, but as for me, I know I wont be playing my 360 in like 20 years (especially knowing M$' not-so-reputable hardware reliability :x). But yeah, I'm totally into digital distribution and sales, they just make more sense to me. Sure they're more expensive, but it's like that saying, "you pay for convenience". Personally, I like to be able to simply poke a few buttons on the controller and have a full Xbox game an hour or so later. But I can also clearly see why some people, like a lot of my friends, for example, would rather just get a hard copy... I guess I'm a little torn on this topic, ehe...:?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d995040c2ae
deactivated-59d995040c2ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-59d995040c2ae
Member since 2007 • 136 Posts

I think digital distribution will truly arrive when Flash-type memory becomes quite large, fast and inexpensive so that digital media can be quickly downloaded, hard copied and stored on a relatively small disc at the owner's discretion. At some point you just have to take responsibility for something you own though; so if the service doesn't exist to download it in 30 years, then you are just going to have to find another way. I would have a hard time believing that just because digital distribution is the "future" that implies hard copies get carried out behind the shed and put out of their misery. If anything, there will be kiosks or shops of some sort that I imagine would work a lot like an ATM, like a "GameStop" bank (a large-scale hard drive with an archive of gaming) so that if you ever claim rights to a game you digitally downloaded you would have to verify some info or provide a registration code to claim your game and the hard drive will just write it onto a flash disc for you. That's only in the event that the service you originally downloaded the game from doesn't exist or can't be reached. Although, there is this thing called the internet where even if one provider goes down, there is probably 10,000 other places to find it. Maybe when compression becomes so insane that archiving becomes fail-safe and stored in some futuristic hard-drive lockbox of personal information and owned digital rights that is stored in a nanochip in you nail. And yes, I'm being serious. The key is for more universal cooperation. Flying cars are the future too.

I don't download Xbox originals because of price and drive space. I am also weary of Microsoft's ability to maintain my rights to download something continually. Services like Steam I have more faith in, yet I forgot the email I signed up my original Half-Life 2 copy with the day it came out. (I was using dial-up then and I recklessly signed up the Steam account just to get on and play offline, never realizing the true weight of the Steam account at that time.) So in essence I 'lost' that copy and have had to buy the game over again. It's a mixed bag, so I think both hard copy and digital distribution are going to be around for awhile. I just think the ideas about what a hard copy is and how to attain digital copies will change considerably.

chief_527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chief_527
Member since 2003 • 1121 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperBeast"]

jakedogg14

Yes, of course. If Nintendo made such a system where you are able to download games into the console; by default you had to create an account so you could keep records of all the games you downloaded. Meaning that when the SNES, N64, GameCube and Wii were released, they were all compatible with the previous content from the previous consoles. Meaning that today if I had a Wii, I would be able to download any game that I downloaded in 2 decades time from my Nintendo account. All pretending of course.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

Isn't that the truth.

I heard that Apple will be coming out with their own console which is supposed to come out something next year, and all of the games for it will only be available as digital distribution downloads through the console itself. I hope that Xbox doesn't do this in the future as I like the cases cover inserts manuals and discs.

kreider204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 kreider204
Member since 2003 • 2519 Posts
I'm vaguely considering Ninja Gaidan Black. I can't find it locally, and after shipping, I'd probably pay more for it any other way. My only concern is whether it runs well or not -- I've heard the Xbox originals are a bit touchy.
EvilAshTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EvilAshTwin
Member since 2008 • 690 Posts
Rumor is, M$ is going to discontinue making O.Xbox games backwards compatible for the 360. Again, according to rumors they are wanting to reverse the backwards compatibility thereby forcing you to download the original xbox games if you wish to play the games.
kreider204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kreider204
Member since 2003 • 2519 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperBeast"]Digital distribution is the future, get used to it. ghstbstr

Isn't that the truth.

I heard that Apple will be coming out with their own console which is supposed to come out something next year, and all of the games for it will only be available as digital distribution downloads through the console itself. I hope that Xbox doesn't do this in the future as I like the cases cover inserts manuals and discs.

Me too. I'm the same way with music. My wife's niece visited recently and laughed at us for actually owning CDs. But I like the physical object -- it makes me feel like I own more stuff, which of course, makes me a good American. ;-)
Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts

silly M$

mufcbarlow1

I agree. Even if there were any Xbox originals that I wanted, I wouldn't waste the hard drive space storing them. I'd just find it on disc...

Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts

Rumor is, M$ is going to discontinue making O.Xbox games backwards compatible for the 360. Again, according to rumors they are wanting to reverse the backwards compatibility thereby forcing you to download the original xbox games if you wish to play the games.EvilAshTwin

Boy I hope this isn't true. There's only about 3 original Xbox games that I own out of 16 that aren't already on the bc list. I would not repurchase them either just to play them on 360.

grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 grayoldwolf
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

Rumor is, M$ is going to discontinue making O.Xbox games backwards compatible for the 360. Again, according to rumors they are wanting to reverse the backwards compatibility thereby forcing you to download the original xbox games if you wish to play the games.EvilAshTwin

BS, I don't believe that for a second. All people would do is either stop playing Xbox games, or break out their old Xbox console from the attic, or buy one used for fifty bucks on eBay. Any one of those is a cheaper option than downloading your original Xbox game library at $15 a pop. It wouldn't make MS any money at all, so why would they do it and risk bad blood with their fanbase? It doesn't make any sense.

EvilAshTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EvilAshTwin
Member since 2008 • 690 Posts

[QUOTE="EvilAshTwin"]Rumor is, M$ is going to discontinue making O.Xbox games backwards compatible for the 360. Again, according to rumors they are wanting to reverse the backwards compatibility thereby forcing you to download the original xbox games if you wish to play the games.grayoldwolf

BS, I don't believe that for a second. All people would do is either stop playing Xbox games, or break out their old Xbox console from the attic, or buy one used for fifty bucks on eBay. Any one of those is a cheaper option than downloading your original Xbox game library at $15 a pop. It wouldn't make MS any money at all, so why would they do it and risk bad blood with their fanbase? It doesn't make any sense.

I dont want to believe it either, but come on lets face it, this is Microsoft were talking about here. This is the same company that wanted to have a monthly charge for simply having a copy of windows on your computer. This is the same company that seriously believes that RRoD is the player's fault and not their's. They refuse to add XBL compatibility and achievements to original xbox games in the marketplace but will add them to the arcade games and games made by other companies. This is the same company that truely believies the ability to simply private message someone on the forums is a premium ability and is only worthy of those that actually pay for it. I wouldnt be surprised if one day M$ turned around and said that members with Silver accounts can no longer actually post on the forums.

M$ has been tightening their grip forcing players to sign up for Xbox Gold to do some of the most basic stuff you can do for free on any other forum or online community. So is it really that much of a stretch of the imagination to think that 1. M$ is so full of themselves that they would assume when a player buys a 360, they would throw away their original xbox, and 2. in their head players would have no choice but to download the games from the Marketplace?

I dont want to believe the rumor either, but lets be real here. It wouldnt be all the surprising if the rumor turned out to be true, now would it?

Avatar image for AtomicBaconBits
AtomicBaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 AtomicBaconBits
Member since 2006 • 8855 Posts
Does anyone even purchase those?...
the_d_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the_d_boy
Member since 2005 • 144 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperBeast"]

jakedogg14

I don't see why you couldn't then, providing the service is still active, unless in the small print of the T&C it says something like "we will delete your account after 5 years of inactivity" , but yeah you should be able to DL what you've bought.

farid96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 farid96
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

well since i have a 120gb hard drive i dont mind downloading them saves me from haveing to go out when i can just download it

HonestShot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HonestShot
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I agree.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I don't have to get up and I don't have to fumble with a DVD. Sounds good to me.
War_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 War_Martyr
Member since 2007 • 598 Posts
Hey, I'm waiting for Freedom Fighters to make the DL list...I cannot for the love of god find that game anywhere.
klasco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 klasco
Member since 2007 • 275 Posts

i still can't be bothered getting a bigger hard drive for my 360 i'm noting going to pay $150 dollars for a 120gb hard drive i can get a 500gb hard drive for that price so i'm not going to download xbox org games, however though i can't be bothered getting MS points either and thats the reason i did get Shivering Isles because its over-priced and i don't have a credit card anyway your right you can just get xbox org games for $0-10 bucks i was given one for free by ebgames for buying Forza 2

mars44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mars44
Member since 2003 • 201 Posts
Digital distribution may be the "future", but it is going to suck, because now big corporations are going to have a monopoly over your money. Just like they do on Xbox Live, they can charge whatever they like, and it doesn't matter what you think because eventually someone is going to buy it. Having a hard copy means that you'll be able to get it for cheap because different sellers will compete for your dollar. That's the beauty of capitalism.
Mr-Silter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 Mr-Silter
Member since 2007 • 248 Posts
only reason i can come with is....gamer score?
Avatar image for luigismansion101
luigismansion101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 luigismansion101
Member since 2003 • 733 Posts

for the next genereation i'm sure there will be a much bigger hdd, maybe 250gb and the 120gb as a standard. but here's the reason i dont like having only digital distribution. i like to rent games that only have single player if they are short or if they will never be played through again. so they should do some sort of rental digital service if they go to that medium of selling games. pay 5 bucks for 5 days of playing, and allow them to renew the rental as well, that way i could rent a game 3 times and be through with it and have shelled out $15 instead of $60. the other thing is i like to sell my games after i beat them and are through with them. games like gears of war are great and i put hundreds of hours in them, but eventually i move on to something else, and when i do i like to get some of the money i spent back out of it. digital distribution would not allow that, unless you could possibly sell one of your games to your friend. so if i download a game on XBL to purchase, i should be able to tell my friend i have it and if he wants it he could be able to send an offer to buy the game from me for a certain price. i could either accept or reject and reply with why i took that action.

if those two things were addressed for digital distribution, i'd be 100% for it.