Really, really, really disappointed in Microsoft

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Buttonmasher111
Buttonmasher111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Buttonmasher111
Member since 2010 • 67 Posts

So I go to my local EB games about 3-4 months ago and pick up a preowned 20gb xbox. A few months later it had the irreversable red ring error (bottom right light only) I get the new console home, play it for maybe no less than 3 hours and it decides to stop reading disks. I tried everything I had in it but it would just not read anything. (as in having the "open tray" option instead of "play game") I am really, really angry at this. I don't really want to go through the 2-3 week hassle of getting a replacement preowned console, and I don't have sufficiant funds to go and buy a slim. I really feel Microsoft has screwed me over. I would like to know if anyone could tell me if EB games could replace it with a ps3 or something. I am really furious now :(

ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts

So I go to my local EB games about 3-4 months ago and pick up a preowned 20gb xbox. A few months later it had the irreversable red ring error (bottom right light only) I get the new console home, play it for maybe no less than 3 hours and it decides to stop reading disks. I tried everything I had in it but it would just not read anything. (as in having the "open tray" option instead of "play game") I am really, really angry at this. I don't really want to go through the 2-3 week hassle of getting a replacement preowned console, and I don't have sufficiant funds to go and buy a slim. I really feel Microsoft has screwed me over. I would like to know if anyone could tell me if EB games could replace it with a ps3 or something. I am really furious now :(

Buttonmasher111

It's not Microsofts fault you bought a second hand console. The elite console and the slims have the new chip set which greatly reduces the chance of RRoD. You should get one of those.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#3 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
Well you probably should have read up on it more. Older 360 models are very likely to get the RROD. Used consoles nonetheless. What I would do is buy the Slim arcade model. Comes with 4GB built in memory; not sure about a controller though. It's only $200, which is roughly only $50 more than a used version of the older models.
Avatar image for Buttonmasher111
Buttonmasher111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Buttonmasher111
Member since 2010 • 67 Posts

What? So what you're saying is that Microsoft are completley justified to release defective consoles? If there is a model on sale, preowned or not, it is bound by the goods and services law to be in full working order. So in your opinion it's purely my fault that I'm in this situation...? Come on mate.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts

It's not Microsoft, it's Gamestop that's distributing them. They have a right to.

Plus, they clearly say that some are refurbrished; and that they mainly only ever last about 6 months. You're buying used consoles at your own risk.

TwinMachetes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 TwinMachetes
Member since 2011 • 100 Posts

What? So what you're saying is that Microsoft are completley justified to release defective consoles? If there is a model on sale, preowned or not, it is bound by the goods and services law to be in full working order. So in your opinion it's purely my fault that I'm in this situation...? Come on mate.

Buttonmasher111
Microsoft never sold you this defective console, they sold it to someone else. You purchased a console from a second hand dealer. They are the ones responsible for it not Microsoft, And if you are so clued up on the Goods and Services Law take ya fight to Gamestop and get it replaced. Maybe get a new one instead that way it is on Microsoft, Sony work the same way.
ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts

Buttonmasher111

Every Xbox 360 owner before the elite console knew the risks of getting the RRoD. Once the Elite was released that risk dropped. By buying a pre-elite model 360 you were at risk for RRoD. By buying preowned the chance of getting RRoD rose even more. They know they messed up with the RRoD. Which is why every new 360 had a 3 year warranty that covered it with a free replacement. They took a massive hit and paid the price for the RRoD issues. But you buying a pre owned console when they have new consoles that rarely get the RRoD, is not their fault.

I am on my 5th Xbox. Over a year and a half with the current one because I finally got rid of my pre-elite model. I'm not saying it's entirely your fault, but you really should get an Elite or Slim model.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

It's not Microsoft, it's Gamestop that's distributing them. They have a right to.

Plus, they clearly say that some are refurbrished; and that they mainly only ever last about 6 months. You're buying used consoles at your own risk.

orb_03_2006

Technically Microsoft did by releasing the defective pos in the first place. That being said tho.. anyone that buys a used 360 especially an older one is just begging for it to fail.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

xbox is not a well built console. old news. NEVER buy a used Xbox.

Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
Just clear your system cache and hard drive cache and you should be able to read disks again man. But yeah, never ever buy expensive electronics used. Games, sure. Movies, sure. Peripherals, sure. The console? Hell no. Yeah, you might save $75 initially, only to waste $150 more later.
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zevvion
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

Buttonmasher111
It's been a known fact for 6 years now that buying a used Xbox 360 Premium of the old days is very unwise. You are about 6 years behind. Also, how is it Microsoft's fault? You bought a used system. It's like saying when you buy a used car and after two hours of driving you find out the engine is messed up that it's the car brand's fault. You got it used, whoever used it is at fault. You should go back and ask for a new console if you still have warranty. Otherwise, you screwed yourself. By the way, before you make any more rash decisions; approximately 10% of all used PS3's fails within the month. Just so you know.
Ashatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ashatar
Member since 2011 • 259 Posts

xbox is not a well built console. old news. NEVER buy a used Xbox.

Talldude80

I have an elite jasper used and i have it for a month and no problems like this haha you nevcerknow what might happen even with new consoles

BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts
I totally agree man, that's complete and utter bullcrap....
erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 erwingameon
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

[QUOTE="Buttonmasher111"]

Zevvion

It's been a known fact for 6 years now that buying a used Xbox 360 Premium of the old days is very unwise. You are about 6 years behind. Also, how is it Microsoft's fault? You bought a used system. It's like saying when you buy a used car and after two hours of driving you find out the engine is messed up that it's the car brand's fault. You got it used, whoever used it is at fault. You should go back and ask for a new console if you still have warranty. Otherwise, you screwed yourself. By the way, before you make any more rash decisions; approximately 10% of all used PS3's fails within the month. Just so you know.

I totally agree with this. If you buy annything that's been used you do so at your own risk. Maybe 5-6 years ago you could say it was Microsofts fault, but not annymore. Microsoft already compansated players by increasing the warranty on the old Xbox 360 to 3 years. I've had the red rings twice on my old Xbox 360 twice and both times Microsoft send me annother within 2 weeks + 3 months free Xbox Live Gold. Microsoft also fixed the problems with the Xbox 360 by releasing the Xbox 360 Elite and the Xbox 360 Slim versions.

But anyway, buying used products envolves a certain risk but even brand new products are not a guarantee. I bought a new PC 2 years ago and 2 months later the processor suddenly failed. Sometimes you just have bad luck. In this situation it's really just your own fault. You chose to buy a used product and therefore the risks that come with it.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

UK law mandating lead-free solder -> First batch Xbox360's RROD because the solder melts after extended use

First batch Xbox360's RROD -> Human greed, people try to be slick and sell failing consoles to stores

Stores resell failing consoles -> You got yours home and it failed in 3 hours

1. Mandating lead-free solder (UK govt)

2. Selling product with new type of solder which fails (Microsoft)

3. Customer reselling failed product to stores (customer A)

4. Store reselling failed product to new customers (small business)

5. New customers buying bad product (customer B)

Everywhere along that chain of events is greed and stupidity from multiple parties.

If you really want an Xbox360 badly, save up $300 and go buy it new.

That is your best and only chance of getting hardware that isn't garbage.

PS - I also love it when people whine and complain when stores like GS only pay them $90 for their Xbox360, when millions of people are trying to cash in their barely working console.

A used Xbox360 is worth no more than $20-$30, it has like a %1 chance of lasting longer than 3 months.

Not because MS made it faulty, but because customers dishonestly sell their failing consoles to stores.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
u feel microsoft screwed you because you bought a pre owned xbox from a game store? lol funny
BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BostonDieNasty
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

Buttonmasher111

i have 2 busted xbox 360s sitting right next to my new 250 gb 360 slim.. im gonna go sell them on craigslist..dont blame me when they dont work blame bill gates

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

BostonDieNasty

i have 2 busted xbox 360s sitting right next to my new 250 gb 360 slim.. im gonna go sell them on craigslist..dont blame me when they dont work blame bill gates

that pretty much sums up the TC is saying
Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

Buttonmasher111
Somebody needs a nap.
BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BostonDieNasty
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

[QUOTE="BostonDieNasty"]

k2theswiss

that pretty much sums up the TC is saying

i know i was trying to be sarcastic... the idea that its microsofts fault he bought a 6 year old used console that is prone to breaking is utterly ridiculous... he should have spent an extra 40 or 50 to get a brand new console... why anyone would buy a used original model is beyond me

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

I'm on my third Box,plus myPS3 has died. (almost never used it)**** happens. Deal with it.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Yeah TC you should be really disappointed in yourself. MS did make a faulty console and they did cover those consoles with a 3 year warranty so MS did take responsibility for their system. You on the other hand did not deal with MS you dealt with Gamestop which was the first problem and second was buying an older used 360 from them which is like rolling the dice. MS doesn't sell those anymore and they covered the people who did buy them so seriously the only person to blame is yourself.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

You are mad at Microsoft because you purchased a used system? That is your own fault. Do you not think about the person that brought the used one in? They probably had it for awhile or had red ring and sold it to them because it didn't work. If anything, if anything at all you should be mad at eb games for not checking the quality or mad at yourself for not thinking.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

you never buy a USED xbox 360 especially not the older models

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

Buttonmasher111
That's EB games' fault not MS. Don't their used consoles come with warranties?
dstv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dstv
Member since 2007 • 1384 Posts

Just get the slim....i've got one and it runs quiet and best of all the chances of RROD are 0% (it doesnt have red LED's) .....XD

OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 OfficerLeach_
Member since 2010 • 419 Posts

I Went through 2 360s that got RROD but ive had a Slim since Dec and it seems to be fine now...If you want go buy a newer model new and switch the insides out and return it and bam you got a new 360...let MS worry about the crappy one they shouldnt have realeased in the first place.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

im Really, really, really disappointed in humanity for anyone thinking a preowned xbox wouldnt fail and its the companie's fault you tried to save a buck.

thats like blaming BMW because some guy sold me a car that crapped out, especially if this hypothetical car was widely reported to fail.

theres a reason microsoft had to pay millions of dollars imforming people of and repairing the MANY problems of the first few xboxs.

you decided you wanted to buy preowned cause u couldnt afford new, so its ur fault and u have no one to be disappointed in but urself.

its not like u can even look up without hearing something about the RROD, u chose to ignore it.

its one thing being the first of many people to get RROD when the xbox was new, but its been years, buyer beware

TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TTDog
Member since 2007 • 3545 Posts

So it's Microsofts fault that you were too cheap to buy a new machine?

And if I buy a 30 year old Ford car, that's bashed to hell because the previous owner used it for demolition derby's and the engine falls out it's Fords fault?

Sounds like you got what you deserved frankly.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

So yeah, pretty much what everyone else has said...and before you threaten to buy a PS3, Sony has been known to produce failing systems as well. Maybe try and google Sony PS2 disc read error and see if you still feel that MS is the only evil one. My point is that most companies experiance issues like this, at least MS are better than everage in owning up to there mistakes. Take that for what it's worth. My suggestion buy a new system and pony up the 24.00 a year to extend the warranty if you want to be free of the worry.

NoDzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 NoDzombie
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts

well im on my 3rd 360 and my 3rd PS3 (and i use it more for watching Blu-ray than gaming), so before you go buying anything else remember both systems can fail and i bought them both new not second hand

and the fact you think its Microsoft's fault that you bought a faulty SECOND HAND system is ridiculous, its partly your fault for not doing your research and knowing that second hand systems are prone to fail, and its party the shops fault for selling faulty equipment to you so if you want to argue with someone go argue with the shop

Avatar image for Defy_The_Fallen
Defy_The_Fallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 Defy_The_Fallen
Member since 2011 • 621 Posts

I'm quite lucky in this respect, I bought a pre-owned first generation xbox premium, 20gb in november 2010 and it's served me well since, apart from a RROD to tell me the AC cable was unplugged once, but that's about it. But you are right, microsoft should have, back in 2005, tested there consoles more thoroughly before releasing them so that none of this RROD nonsense happened. Just think, what would pure sony fanboys have to hate on if microsoft had no RROD?

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

I'm really really really disappointed in this post. Of all the things to complain about regarding MS, (costs, customre service, etc) this is what you complain about. Two words, WEAK POST,

CammiTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CammiTac
Member since 2011 • 1179 Posts

It isn't even the shops fault, either. They sold it used. YOU bought it knowing it was used and older. It is a choice YOU made. A risk YOU decided to take. You don't know who had it before you. You don't know what they did with it. It was obviously working perfectly fine when you first got it, and that is all the shop tests for.

The store probably gave you a short term warranty and a limited time to return it as well, but at 3-4 months you've likely passed it.

This is all stuff YOU should have checked before you purchased and kept the console. There are a lot of reasons to be mad at Microsoft, but this isn't one of them.

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
I see no problem here. You bought a preowned console that had an old chip in it. If you had invested a little more money in this situation you would've gotten a top of the line model with more memory and pretty much no chance of RRODing. Common sense man.
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
Oh, and another thing, this is the equivalent of buying a really old used car and then blaming the car company when it inevitably breaks down. Instead of blaming the guy that wrecked the car before you, you're taking it out on the company.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#39 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

lol i can see if you bought it brand new, but you bought it used, i know the problems ive had mine brick 9 times, and ya i my self have the right to blame microsoft because it came off their assembly line and not from a second hand person , it was sold at walmart brand new in box so , ya my situation and yours are 2 entirely different situation i paid 400 you paid 150 or somthing ,

x that by 9 , you have ur answer

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Those are older models, they rrod'd the most.
RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

Buttonmasher111
only choices you got is to check with EB games or just call microsoft even though their phone service sucks. but yeah i had to go throught that problem too like 3 years ago but ever since i havent had a problem with my xbox.
Avatar image for pokemondude2012
pokemondude2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pokemondude2012
Member since 2010 • 5938 Posts

Buttonmasher111
If you didnt buy a brand new console i really doubt it is ms's fault.
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

ACx7

It's not Microsofts fault you bought a second hand console. The elite console and the slims have the new chip set which greatly reduces the chance of RRoD. You should get one of those.

Yeah pretty much this. Awesome avy by the way :P

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Why are you disappointed in Microsoft? This is one of the reasons you shouldn't buy used video game systems, especially from places like EB game and Gamestop. A lot of times those stores won't even check to make sure the system is running.
JeanAlex22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JeanAlex22
Member since 2011 • 307 Posts
Buying electronic devices second hand is generally a bad idea . . . even if it's from a retail store . . . you don't naturally expect the person who's selling it to you to say something like "this console is overused and is very prone to breaking down in a month or two" . . . if you plan to buy things second-hand you should be vigilant and must know a lot about the things that you're buying, don't expect the retail employees to tell you everything . . . however if you had the slightest knowledge about xbox 360s, buying it second hand is definitely out of the question . . . The only second hand electronic device that I bought was a PS2, and that was from a friend who still has his PS1 running like a charm . . .
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Im confused...3-4 months ago you picked up a preowned 20gig 360 and then you brought home the new console recently and it stopped reading discs? its not a new console and why did it take so long to bring it home...Very confused..