Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

These days I don't really play betas anymore, I just wait for the full release, but since I pre-ordered this game already, I saw the Closed Beta just pop up in my ready to Install list, figured I would try it just to see.

Wow, the game is a lot of fun. I was lucky enough to be with 3 people who knew what they were doing and explained things to me as we went along. I was surprised by the variety in the gameplay & all the attention to detail.....it all feels and works quite well. From dropping anchor, to emptying water from the lower decks, lighting all the lanterns at night....lots of cool little touches.

The game looks very nice on the X, especially the water, and it supports HDR too. The water looks real and the sound design is superb, you can hear all the creaking from the boat structure, the wind during the storm. I feel like the core of the game is very solid, and really all it needs is more polish and meat around the bones, lots of missions and content, has the potential to be really good. Now I'm really stoked for release. Curious if others have had their expectations surpassed after playing it. If you already pre-ordered, you may want to try it just for kicks.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Alucard_Prime: Yeah I've only ever participated in one Beta, and swore I would never again.

As for SoT I can't see myself getting it unless it has some sort of SP, because I would never have to time I need to play with a crew of 4 on a consistent basis.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Alucard_Prime

@i_p_daily: there is a solo player mode with a smaller boat, but you are online I believe, so you can get attacked by other crews/boats. It says this mode is for advanced players, haven't tried it yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Alucard_Prime said:

@i_p_daily: there is a solo player mode with a smaller boat, but you are online I believe, so you can get attacked by other crews/boats. It says this mode is for advanced players, haven't tried it yet.

I may have to do a little more research closer to the games release.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Good news, I may do the Game Pass thingy soon and SoT is one reason why and I'm pumped to give it a whirl.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#6 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

Right, mechanically, aesthetically it's great. Content is what worries me.

We can only hope they are holding back and the full game will have plenty of content.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Alucard_Prime

@SecretPolice: I read if you are registered in the SOT insider program and played the Alpha, you should have access to the beta, just an fyi as I remember you saying you played it before. Glad I tried the beta, really looking forward to it now

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01  Online
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@i_p_daily: Yeah same here.

It's just such a shame there's no SP campaign... it looks like such a cool world that would've been amazing as kind of an AC: Black Flag type game. Real shame.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@i_p_daily: Yeah same here.

It's just such a shame there's no SP campaign... it looks like such a cool world that would've been amazing as kind of an AC: Black Flag type game. Real shame.

There is also Skull & Bones but that too looks like a MP game.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Alucard_Prime

@hrt_rulz01: Hopefully they can add a single player campaign with a story later with DLC expansion, it might happen if there is enough demand and if the game is successful.

I would like that as well, I enjoy the solo campaigns in their other 1st party games, so hopefully they could do the same here if this becomes one of their big 1st party titles.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

@i_p_daily: I rolled solo the first time and its doable but managing ship and map is tough, much easier with a crew of 2 or 4.

The solo ship is pretty quick so you can out-pace the 4 man crew ship.

Avatar image for tranquilitybase
TranquilityBase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By TranquilityBase
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

I've seen plenty of the game through twitch, and it doesn't seem all that interesting to me.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Its not a game I would buy but I hope you guys are enjoying the beta

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SecretPolice

@BigBadBully:

Coolness, going solo is likely the first thing I'll try so it's good to know the small ship has speed on it's side. Run Forrest, run. lol

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BigBadBully

@SecretPolice: Yes, and when your good at sailing you can sneak in via blind spots on 4 man crew ships. Also, a tactic i saw when playing with my 4 man crew. Leave someone on ur ship. My whole crew was looking for chests on an island, was returning a chest and solo guy sailed up and was stealing our chests from a previous hunt.

Just the annoying part of going solo is leaving the wheel, checkin the map to make sure ur on point and setting the sails. And some of the chests you get, well you'll have some fun with some specific chests to deal with.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Alucard_Prime

@SecretPolice: Saw this in my Twitter feed just now, servers are currently at max capacity due to "unprecedented demand" :

Due to unprecedented demand to get into the #SeaOfThieves Closed Beta our servers are currently full. If you're try… https://t.co/aNMbSLPATX

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#17 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Sea of Thieves looks cool.,might give it a go if there are enough online support. Until then I will wait a while,also got a large backlog of X1 games to play,so I am in no rush.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@BigBadBully said:

@i_p_daily: I rolled solo the first time and its doable but managing ship and map is tough, much easier with a crew of 2 or 4.

The solo ship is pretty quick so you can out-pace the 4 man crew ship.

It just seems impossible with just one player, how would you steer, shoot, fix the ship, fight off people jumping onboard etc all at the same time? It just seems like an exercise in frustration playing as a crew of one :(

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice

@Alucard_Prime:

That's the great news my friend especially for what the haters in SW just knows is a sales flop. lol

Also, the Gamepass thing was brilliant timing for SoT, me thinks it will really surprise many who wouldn't have ever tried it with out GP.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BigBadBully

@i_p_daily: Yeah, you dont want to fight other larger crews and avoid ship combat if ur going solo. Playing a bit more, i found there is a musical cue when you steer that'll set you on a straight course, so you can leave the wheel and do other things.

However going solo, you can do sneaky stuff. See a 4 man ship docked at an island. Sneak up , board the ship, see if they have any chests to steal (most likely the crew is all on the island searching for a treasure). If you have a gun powder barrel, sneak in take it to the hull of their ship n blow it up(or better they have one already on their ship).

You can have a lot of fun whether solo or with a crew.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#21 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

I have been on the fence about this game since I have first heard of it, but I have only heard good things from the beta and Inside Program.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice

@BigBadBully said:

@i_p_daily: Yeah, you dont want to fight other larger crews and avoid ship combat if ur going solo. Playing a bit more, i found there is a musical cue when you steer that'll set you on a straight course, so you can leave the wheel and do other things.

However going solo, you can do sneaky stuff. See a 4 man ship docked at an island. Sneak up , board the ship, see if they have any chests to steal (most likely the crew is all on the island searching for a treasure). If you have a gun powder barrel, sneak in take it to the hull of their ship n blow it up(or better they have one already on their ship).

You can have a lot of fun whether solo or with a crew.

Saweeetness... I'm really liking the sound of trying the small ship all alone on the big blue. . :D

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Alucard_Prime

Found this video, some nice relaxing scenes, love the night stuff that start around 2:00. Graphics and sound design in this game are very cool I found(edit: some footage could be from the PC version too)

Loading Video...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice

@Alucard_Prime:

Lovely... I'm a boater in real life and spend a lot of time by, in and on the water. I thoroughly enjoyed the heck out of that. Good stuff.

SoT alone makes me buying GamePass a steal. :D