Plasma or LCD for gaming with 360?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

florbastang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 florbastang
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts
What's going to work better with a 360: a plasma TV or an LCD TV (not LED)? Plasmas reportedly have better picture quality (deeper blacks/contrast, more vibrant colors) and no motion blur, but they also have risk of burn-in from what I understand (and video games tend to have lots of static images like HUD's). Also, many/most in the same price range as LCD's only display in 720P. Additionally, they have ridiculously high refresh rates (like 600Hz). Does any of these create controller input lag? I'm looking at a Toshiba, Vizio, and Sony of 40-42" for the LCD TV's (all 1080p and 60 hz). The plasma would be a Panasonic of 42" and 720p.
F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts
Plasma hands down.
nixxl15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 nixxl15
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts

Plasma sounds great, but Xbox 360 has only a few games you can play on Full HD resolution, so the picture quality isn't much better, but HEY, the xperience is 10x times better, so, go for the plasma ;)

gooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gooter
Member since 2010 • 129 Posts

Panasonic plasma /thread

nixxl15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 nixxl15
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts

Viera own :D

ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ehhwhatever
Member since 2010 • 1463 Posts

I play on a plasma with s-video.

florbastang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 florbastang
So do all 360 games play in 1080p, if the TV displays that?
Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
LCD. No need to worry about burn in's or any other crap like that. Be like me, I just bought a LED tv and personally it has better contrast and black levels than plasmas
florbastang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 florbastang
LCD. No need to worry about burn in's or any other crap like that. Be like me, I just bought a LED tv and personally it has better contrast and black levels than plasmasFunconsole
LED's are out of my price range. I've got to keep it close to $500 for at least 40".
Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
LCD easily just for the avoidance of burn in.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
I got a 40" LCD for like 500 bucks I think... I bought it a few years ago so they are probably way cheaper now... but I did get mine during a big sale. Anyhow, plasma is probably technically better.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Panasonic Viera plasma

kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts

42" 720pPanasonic Viera Plasma here! I really don't care about the whole 1080p thing this generation. Here we are what 5+ years in and there are only a small, small handful of games that are native 1080p.

Vault_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Vault_Monkey
Member since 2010 • 209 Posts

What's going to work better with a 360: a plasma TV or an LCD TV (not LED)? Plasmas reportedly have better picture quality (deeper blacks/contrast, more vibrant colors) and no motion blur, but they also have risk of burn-in from what I understand (and video games tend to have lots of static images like HUD's). Also, many/most in the same price range as LCD's only display in 720P. Additionally, they have ridiculously high refresh rates (like 600Hz). Does any of these create controller input lag? I'm looking at a Toshiba, Vizio, and Sony of 40-42" for the LCD TV's (all 1080p and 60 hz). The plasma would be a Panasonic of 42" and 720p.florbastang
I actually just read a bunch of articles on buying a television and all of them said a LCD tv is better, Plasma is better for watching movies/tv shows but not so good for video games. Trust me, LCD is the way to go.

kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts

[QUOTE="florbastang"]What's going to work better with a 360: a plasma TV or an LCD TV (not LED)? Plasmas reportedly have better picture quality (deeper blacks/contrast, more vibrant colors) and no motion blur, but they also have risk of burn-in from what I understand (and video games tend to have lots of static images like HUD's). Also, many/most in the same price range as LCD's only display in 720P. Additionally, they have ridiculously high refresh rates (like 600Hz). Does any of these create controller input lag? I'm looking at a Toshiba, Vizio, and Sony of 40-42" for the LCD TV's (all 1080p and 60 hz). The plasma would be a Panasonic of 42" and 720p.Vault_Monkey

I actually just read a bunch of articles on buying a television and all of them said a LCD tv is better, Plasma is better for watching movies/tv shows but not so good for video games. Trust me, LCD is the way to go.

Funny I have talked with salesman at Bestbuy and they say the exact opposite. Plasmas by nature have richer color pallettes, deeper blacks and little to no motion blur! The only way a LCD has an advantage is if you are in a very bright room. I can speak from experience as I own both a 720p Phillips LCD and a 720p Panasonic Viera Plasma. The Panny wins hands down!!

iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iAtrocious
Member since 2010 • 1567 Posts

LCD. Buy a full HD TV and be glad you don't have to worry about burn-ins and lower durability.

F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 F0urTwenty

[QUOTE="florbastang"]What's going to work better with a 360: a plasma TV or an LCD TV (not LED)? Plasmas reportedly have better picture quality (deeper blacks/contrast, more vibrant colors) and no motion blur, but they also have risk of burn-in from what I understand (and video games tend to have lots of static images like HUD's). Also, many/most in the same price range as LCD's only display in 720P. Additionally, they have ridiculously high refresh rates (like 600Hz). Does any of these create controller input lag? I'm looking at a Toshiba, Vizio, and Sony of 40-42" for the LCD TV's (all 1080p and 60 hz). The plasma would be a Panasonic of 42" and 720p.Vault_Monkey

You are 100% wrong. I am sorry.
F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 F0urTwenty
LCD. No need to worry about burn in's or any other crap like that. Be like me, I just bought a LED tv and personally it has better contrast and black levels than plasmasFunconsole
*facepalm*. You have no idea what your talking about, Plasma's will forever as of now always be better than LCD and LED sets. As far as burn in's, a plasma is no more likely than any other set to have that issue. If you want links to support your wrong answer i have them.
neovalkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 neovalkyr
Member since 2003 • 1097 Posts

actually many 720p plasmas have a native resolution of 1024x768 which is really weird make sure you dont buy one like that.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Plasma has no issues with motion, higher contrast, deeper blacks, stronger primary/secondary colours, along with superior colour accuracy...

LCD costs more and gets you less. So no, LCD is not "the way to go."

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NVIDIATI

Burn in stopped being a problem on plasma TVs pre 2008.

CNET 2008: "When we review plasmas here at CNET, most of them--including many budget models--don't experience any problems with burn-in."

Also your LED TV does not have better contrast or black levels...

There is a reason the reference TV is still a plasma.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NVIDIATI

@TC I would advise a Panasonic plasma.

Here are some options in the $500 to $700 range:

Panasonic C2 42inch 720p - $499.99

Panasonic C2 46inch 720p - $597.99

Pansonic U2 42inch 1080p - $612.30

Pansonic S2 42inch 1080p - $683.00

Panasonic C2 50inch 720p - $699.95

alexjholland85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 alexjholland85
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

There is simply no debate regarding the superiority of plasmas for picture quality. Plasma televisions produce a superior picture in terms of contrast, colour depth and richness - anyone who disagrees ispoorly informed and should be ignored.

You will not find a respected TV reviewer who does not acknowledge the superior image produced by plasma. Why else would a technology that is heavier andfar more energy-consuming/heat-producing than LCD; has to be transported upright and can get image burn-in still be made and sold in large numbers?

Try asking on AVForums.com -instead of MOST people telling you get a Panasonic plasma, EVERYONE will tell you to get a Panasonic plasma.

The only exception is in a bright room with lots of daylight, as plasma don't perform well here - this is the only scenario where I'd consider a large LCD.

And LED is only LCD with LED backlighting. It's an evolution, but the same technology..

And yes, 720p is plenty enough. 1080p is good for blu-ray, but very few games are made in 1080 - in fact many (including Halo Reach) aren't even 720, but something around 576..

I got a P42X10 last year and it looks fantastic!

Finally, regarding image burn-in, it's not really too much of an issue - Panasonic are particularly resiliant. Be careful for the first 100 hours, but after that the only thing you need to worry about is leaving it on a fixed image (eg desktop) for an extended period. I've occassionally got temporary burnin, but it disappears quickly.

F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 F0urTwenty
Thank you NVIDIATI. Your the best :D.
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

My Sony Vega HDtv recently died (paid $2100.00 for tv, stand and warranty), so I was left with no TV and lots of reasons to buy another HDtv quickly. Considering I had that TV for 5 years it averages over $400.00 a year to own it which is crazy. So I decided to get a cheaper tv this time (if they are going to be disposable then i'm not paying crazy money for them.) After a lot of back and forth I ended up buying the Panasonic Viera plasma 50 inch and I have to say it's worth every penny. Plays my 360 games and sports perfectly with no issue and it looks beautiful. I paid $650.00 for mine but I see that Target has it for $600.00.

Couldn't be happier.

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

My small 22" LCD TV costed me 199$ but i'll go with w/e i can afford.

Steel_Rain777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 Steel_Rain777
Member since 2007 • 1776 Posts

Plasma all the way. Deeper blacks and almost always cheaper than any LED sets. If you buy an LED make sure it has local Dimming and be prepared to pay 500-1000 more for one that has it. Like NVIDIATI said, there are many great plasma sets available for 500-700 bucks. I'd personally go with Panasonic, but Samsungs arent terrible either.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma 1080p then a year later bought a 52" Samsung LCD 1080p and there is literally zero difference (at night). During the day the LCD looks way better.

So I would recommend a new LED LCD over a Plasma.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#29 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

lets see within two months , my plasma got a burn in , so

id go with lcd ! or led if you can lol

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NVIDIATI

When someone says "my LCD outperformed a plasma" its just not true. Opinion does not = fact, and the fact is Plasma is the superior tech, as it performs at a higher level then LCD. Also some people say things like "LED TV," well guess what, that just an LCD with an LED back-light.

Plasma > LCD, period.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KC_Hokie

When someone says "my LCD outperformed a plasma" its just not true. Opinion does not = fact, and the fact is Plasma is the superior tech, as it performs at a higher level then LCD. Also some people say things like "LED TV," well guess what, that just an LCD with an LED back-light.NVIDIATI
That was true like 2 years ago but the newest LCDs outperform plasma. They are superior during the day and just as good at night. I own both and can say for a fact my LCD outperforms my plasma.

F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 F0urTwenty

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]When someone says "my LCD outperformed a plasma" its just not true. Opinion does not = fact, and the fact is Plasma is the superior tech, as it performs at a higher level then LCD. Also some people say things like "LED TV," well guess what, that just an LCD with an LED back-light.KC_Hokie

That was true like 2 years ago but the newest LCDs outperform plasma. They are superior during the day and just as good at night. I own both and can say for a fact my LCD outperforms my plasma.

You are 100% wrong. It's not a matter of opinion or light and day scenario. It's simple FACT that plasma's from a TECHNOLOGY standpoint are the best sets you can buy. Get your eyes checked, your opinions are not FACT.
ital91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ital91
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
if your loking for a 40' who cares if its 720p or 1080p
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]When someone says "my LCD outperformed a plasma" its just not true. Opinion does not = fact, and the fact is Plasma is the superior tech, as it performs at a higher level then LCD. Also some people say things like "LED TV," well guess what, that just an LCD with an LED back-light.KC_Hokie

Did you just pull that out of your ***? Seriously my Plasma from 2008 is still better then any LCD ever made.

GoreObsessed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GoreObsessed
Member since 2004 • 8883 Posts
LCD
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#36 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

people think Plasma TV's still burn in? lol. Some have image retention but that goes away in less than 10 secs, on my TV.

id go with Plasma over LCD personally, but thats me.

IzzieWaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 IzzieWaru
Member since 2010 • 905 Posts

The technology has advanced enough over the past few years that the difference in picture quality is pretty negligible. (I just spent months shopping for a new flatscreen, and there's very little difference between a QUALITY plasma and a QUALITY LCD.)

My advice is to shop around for a brand, size, and price you want. My dad has a 42" 1080p plasma television that I've played my xbox on for quite a few hours. When I moved out I bought the exact same tv (same brand, model, 42" and 1080p) except mine is LCD and I paid about $200 less for it, and I don't notice a difference in quality when I'm playing.

Elitists will claim they notice huge differences in picture, but the differences in quality in the two just aren't as different as they were a couple of years ago (assuming you aren't comparing a crap tv to a good one).

Endgame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Endgame_basic
Member since 2002 • 950 Posts

As someone who owns both I disagree whole heatedly with you. Plasmas have a refresh rate of essentially 0 so any motion looks far better on a Plasma.

To the op, buy a lower end Panasonic Plasms.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KC_Hokie
Again, I own both and can say without a doubt the LCD is better. It's equal at night and far better during the day (plasmas struggle during the day). Plasmas were better than LCDs but that was nearly two years ago. Go to your local Best Buy or other store with dozens of hdtvs side by side and see for yourself.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NVIDIATI

Again, I own both and can say without a doubt the LCD is better. It's equal at night and far better during the day (plasmas struggle during the day). Plasmas were better than LCDs but that was nearly two years ago. Go to your local Best Buy or other store with dozens of hdtvs side by side and see for yourself. KC_Hokie
Which is why almost every review site's reference display remains to be a plasma... CNET for example still uses the Elite Kuro PRO-111FD as their reference set. Stop spreading your BS.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KC_Hokie
Which is why almost every review sites reference display remains to be a plasma... CNET for example still uses the Elite Kuro PRO-111FD as their reference set. Stop spreading your BS.NVIDIATI
I own both so why would I just make up "bs"?
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"] Which is why almost every review sites reference display remains to be a plasma... CNET for example still uses the Elite Kuro PRO-111FD as their reference set. Stop spreading your BS.KC_Hokie
I own both so why would I just make up "bs"?

:? "i own both" doesn't stop you from having a bias.

Find me an LCD that can outperform an Elite Kuro, then we'll talk. Or for that matter find me a 42inch LCD for $500 that can outperform a Panasonic C2

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KC_Hokie

"i own both" doesn't stop you from having a bias.

Find me an LCD that can outperform an Elite Kuro, then we'll talk.

NVIDIATI

If you go to CNET's 'Best HDTVs' they have 4 Plasma's and 3 LCD's that received the SAME score of 4 out of 5 stars (the highest score they gave).

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"] "i own both" doesn't stop you from having a bias.

Find me an LCD that can outperform an Elite Kuro, then we'll talk.

KC_Hokie

If you go to CNET's 'Best HDTVs' they have 4 Plasma's and 3 LCD's that received the SAME score of 4 out of 5 stars (the highest score they gave).

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/

The Pioneer Elite Kuro is their reference set, a perfect 10/10 in performance. Go to "how we rate TVs." Also this is what they say about the VT20/25 on that list:

"2D picture quality:3D picture quality aside, the Panasonic VT20/25 is among the best-performing televisions we've tested yet. It offers the standard uniformity advantages over LCD--excellent off-angle fidelity, uniform brightness and color across the screen--along with the best black level performance of any non-Kuro plasma we've ever tested, and highly accurate color overall. That said, its color doesn't quite equal that of our reference, and we did experience some artifacts in the 1080p/24-friendly 96Hz mode, but the VT20/25 still outperforms the company's other plasmas, and just about every other TV you can buy today."

IzzieWaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 IzzieWaru
Member since 2010 • 905 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Again, I own both and can say without a doubt the LCD is better. It's equal at night and far better during the day (plasmas struggle during the day). Plasmas were better than LCDs but that was nearly two years ago. Go to your local Best Buy or other store with dozens of hdtvs side by side and see for yourself. NVIDIATI

Which is why almost every review site's reference display remains to be a plasma... CNET for example still uses the Elite Kuro PRO-111FD as their reference set. Stop spreading your BS.

Something tells me the TC isn't looking in the same price range you'll find that Elite Kuro in.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Again, I own both and can say without a doubt the LCD is better. It's equal at night and far better during the day (plasmas struggle during the day). Plasmas were better than LCDs but that was nearly two years ago. Go to your local Best Buy or other store with dozens of hdtvs side by side and see for yourself. IzzieWaru

Something tells me the TC isn't looking in the same price range you'll find that Elite Kuro in.

Something tells me there isn't an LCD for $500 that can beat a Panasonic C2.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KC_Hokie

You keep saying that but then I gave a link from your same site saying several LCDs received the top score (as did several Plasmas).

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/?tag=

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NVIDIATI

You keep saying that but then I gave a link from your same site saying several LCDs received the top score (as did several Plasmas).

KC_Hokie

All of those TVs are compared to the Elite Kuro, are you that blind/ignorant.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5109683-3.html?tag=rvwBody

Endgame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Endgame_basic
Member since 2002 • 950 Posts

KC_Hokie

Cmon now, unless you are absolutely clueless when it comes to tvs you know there are no lcds in the 500$ price range that come anywhere close to a low end Panasonic Viera.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KC_Hokie
Again, CNET gave 4 Plasmas and 3 LCDs the top scored of 4/5 stars. Updated on December 12th, 2010. You can keep going on and on about your 'Elite Kuro' (an HDTV reviewed in FREAKING SEPT. 2008!) but the reality is LCDs have caught up to Plasmas.