• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Benjamin-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Benjamin-T
Member since 2006 • 1029 Posts

who in here has biased parents that hate video-games no matter the format?

My dad was enraged I used my credit card to buy a 360. He was ranting about how video-games are for kids and I am 18 years old. Mind you, he told me this while I was playing Conan (for those who don't know, Conan's a wannabe God of War game).

Parents do mean well, and video-game can be destructive if misused. I urge all parents to use logic before disciplining your children than follow the example of my dad; to rant on a kid's system when I'm playing a rated M game.

Avatar image for master-renagade
master-renagade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 master-renagade
Member since 2006 • 537 Posts
not all parents are like that my mum regulary buys me (using my money) m rated games, i am 16 and not only that but my dad sometimes plays them with me.
tsylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tsylord
Member since 2006 • 1176 Posts
I do, and I had to fight for all my systems. I bet my Dad really regreats getting me that Playstation when I was little, lol.
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

My mother brought this up years ago, but then I calmly explained how they are no different from movies and sent her some links and some books about the artistic merit of videogames.

Now she doesn't mind so much :).

Benjamin-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Benjamin-T

not all parents are like that my mum regulary buys me (using my money) m rated games, i am 16 and not only that but my dad sometimes plays them with me.master-renagade

I would be such a better person if I had parents like yours. Lucky you.

Anabub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Anabub
Member since 2006 • 8316 Posts
I'm in my 30's and my parents see it as a credable past time .... after all I coiuld be drinking all day, gambling my life away or spending my money on other unsavory things if I didn't have the out let that gaming gives me. I find it hard that anyone could still concider this a 'childs' pastime .... look at the stats for Halo sales and then tell me this isn't a popular media pastime!
aandrew610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aandrew610
Member since 2007 • 749 Posts
if your 18 who cares what they think, im 18 I can buy whatever i want and my mom really cant do anything about it.... and my mom doesnt really care as long as I get my college work done
Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

These threads realy tick me off. IM a 36 year old gamer with 2 boys...11 and 13 and married for 15 years. I get so mad at people saying videogames are for kids. HOW about , videogames are for people who like to be involved in their entertainment rather than just sit there and watch a movie play out for you.

How about ....I would rather play a videogame that takes skill , reflexes, and timing rather than sit ant play some dumb boardgame or cards.

It is just insane people think they have the right to put others down and try and make them feel dumb and childish for doing something they really like. Especially when its not hurting anyone at all.

I have a friend 43 that tries to put the whole "your too old to game " trick on me sometimes....And I tell him the exact same things and tell him You know what???....You dont have to play them if you feell this way, but dont put people down because they have different tastes of whats fun and what isnt..

My mom is like 64 and supports my gaming still. We get a good laugh once in a while when we talk about them because when I was younger I was playing Super Mario 2 in the living room and she was watching....I was fighting WART or TOAD? at the end of the game and was sooo into the game that I was telling her to shhhhhhh and just rambling on like crazy...."like i still do today"....She always says....I was scared to say anything cause you looked crazy!...LOL...Very good memories.

Screwwww people and their closed minds and snobish, one track minds......Thats my feeling.

Temptation53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Temptation53
Member since 2007 • 171 Posts
My parents used to be all anti game, but they realized ... if I'm at home playing a game at 11 pm ... I'm not out drinking or doing drugs at that time. It's like the lesser of two evils because they know I've been playing long enough that it hasn't affected my behavior.
Benjamin-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Benjamin-T

Andrew, big difference between you and me, your mom don't care, my dad is an idiot

As for you Funky, why you labeling me as the accuser when I'm a victim like you dude? Instead of being ticked, be glad that you're not the only one facing this dilemna. I'm sure glad I'm not.

pittongkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pittongkid
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts

These threads realy tick me off. IM a 36 year old gamer with 2 boys...11 and 13 and married for 15 years. I get so mad at people saying videogames are for kids. HOW about , videogames are for people who like to be involved in their entertainment rather than just sit there and watch a movie play out for you.

How about ....I would rather play a videogame that takes skill , reflexes, and timing rather than sit ant play some dumb boardgame or cards.

It is just insane people think they have the right to put others down and try and make them feel dumb and childish for doing something they really like. Especially when its not hurting anyone at all.

I have a friend 43 that tries to put the whole "your too old to game " trick on me sometimes....And I tell him the exact same things and tell him You know what???....You dont have to play them if you feell this way, but dont put people down because they have different tastes of whats fun and what isnt..

My mom is like 64 and supports my gaming still. We get a good laugh once in a while when we talk about them because when I was younger I was playing Super Mario 2 in the living room and she was watching....I was fighting WART or TOAD? at the end of the game and was sooo into the game that I was telling her to shhhhhhh and just rambling on like crazy...."like i still do today"....She always says....I was scared to say anything cause you looked crazy!...LOL...Very good memories.

Screwwww people and their closed minds and snobish, one track minds......Thats my feeling.FunkyHeadHunter

Very well said. It really pisses me off when my father in law says that gaming is just for kids and that it should have an age bracket...I just feel sorry for him to feel that way because he had to work at a very young age that probably killed his childhood years and of course stuffs like these didn't exist during those times.

First of all, clean entertainment whatever form it may be, will never have an age bracket. Just because you're not into video games should give you the right to tell others that it won't do them any good wherein having fun in videogames is simply the same as watching movies, or partying and I would rather have this as an outlet instead of those destructive ones like drugs or gambling. Maybe it may be trully different if you still go to school because if you don't discipline yourself, then this will surely kill your education but for grownups who can feed their family on their own, its a differnt issue already. I say if it does nothing bad, then just let them be.

Benjamin-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Benjamin-T

I know. The worst part, I bought a game for my dad in his 46th birthday in 2006. Since he loved chess so much, I though he would love "chessmaster" for the PS2. Suffice to say, during the 6 months interval that that game occupied our household, it had never been touch, except when I opened it to see how the game was like. And so, in the end, I ended up selling it.

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kieran88
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts

Thankfuly, when I got into video games WAY back, my parents actualy looked into what I was playing and occasionaly played some nintendo with me etc. They took the time to learn what I was interested in - rather than claiming its the devil.

Avatar image for Keitarourashima
Keitarourashima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Keitarourashima
Member since 2004 • 1422 Posts

They disciplined me in so many other ways that tv and video-game violence fell out of focus, they think it's mind-numbing BS now, but since I don't live with them it doesn't really affect me.

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kieran88
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts

Andrew, big difference between you and me, your mom don't care, my dad is an idiot

As for you Funky, why you labeling me as the accuser when I'm a victim like you dude? Instead of being ticked, be glad that you're not the only one facing this dilemna. I'm sure glad I'm not.

Benjamin-T

He's not accusing you, he's annoyed at people like your parents. Read the post.

Sliverwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sliverwarrior
Member since 2003 • 928 Posts

I know. The worst part, I bought a game for my dad in his 46th birthday in 2006. Since he loved chess so much, I though he would love "chessmaster" for the PS2. Suffice to say, during the 6 months interval that that game occupied our household, it had never been touch, except when I opened it to see how the game was like. And so, in the end, I ended up selling it.

Benjamin-T

Maybe your dad was mad because you used your credit card to buy something that expensive.

I don't really have this problem, I'm 19 and my mom plays video games with me, on pc and consoles.

atst007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 atst007
Member since 2005 • 1019 Posts
I had to fight for quite some time to get GTA San Andreas, but it was worth it because it was my favorite game ever, and now I can play any GTA game and will get 4 the day it comes out. Besides that I get pretty much whatever I want when I want.
Benjamin-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Benjamin-T

With my current finance, there was no other way to buy a 360. Besides, I'm paying 1/4 of the price of the system every month. Not to mention that I didn't have a credit, so paying this on time will help me build that up.

His videogame present wasn't on credit, I saved up my own money for that.

slayer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 slayer85
Member since 2006 • 926 Posts
my dad likes to watch me play video games like r6v and COD games because he likes war type games, and because my family and i are gun crazy and our homes look like armories
Benjamin-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Benjamin-T
Wow dude, I'll make sure not to bulgarize your house then.
Benjamin-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Benjamin-T

Oh, I put up with it allright. Ever since he decided to refuse my present, I simply tune him out. I'm just mad now that he's going on with this crap when I'm playing a rated M game.

Threats are nothing compared to my dad. I came home late when I was 16 with an expensive graphic calculator in my hand. My dad said if that was mine, I said yes, he instructed me to give it to him, I gave it to him, and he smashed it in the floor. The idiot ended up paying the school 150 dollars for his idiocy.

tsylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tsylord
Member since 2006 • 1176 Posts
My parents are always saying, you've played enough. Go out and be active make friends. I just think that they don't understand because they never had a video games like todays generation does. For instance my Dad had Pong, I have R6V and Halo. I do believe that playing at a young age can alter priotities because I am 15 and game a little too much, although I keep my marks at the 80% area I would always like them to be higher, I just can't push them up because I play video games too much.
Nick11478

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Nick11478
Member since 2006 • 1628 Posts
My parents don't really care as long as I don't play video games 24/7. I play 2 sports so I have that to keep me busy. So I really don't have a lot of time to just play video games for a whole day.
david60639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 david60639
Member since 2005 • 6951 Posts
I'm too old.
unmach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 unmach
Member since 2007 • 352 Posts
Well I live alone so parents aren't an issue, but i'm 25 and all of my friends still play video games. I have a theory, older people rarely game because there were no video games when they were growing up. I (and many others) on the other hand started gaming at age 6, and I can't possibly fathom stopping. In other words, all you 12-17 year olds making fun of us older gamers, you will ALL still be gaming through your 20's and 30's. Thing about it, the tech will only get better and more realistic.
ianp_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ianp_91
Member since 2004 • 2376 Posts
my parents dont really care that i play. Like said before..they know that if im not playin video games that i might be out somewhere doing something im not spose to. Another thing about the xbox 360 is that its meant for live. So when my sister, mom, and dad say that by me playin video games all day that im not being social..i can tell them that i play with people..we talk and communcate to win, i also have 20+ friends from school i play with, i am on muiltple clans and what not. So its just like me being at someones house with a bunch of people. They dont mind anymore. My mom even said that im responsible enough for me to get M games (she told me this when i was 15, im 16 now.) She has came with me to buy assassins creed, orange box, mass effect, gears of war, and a lot more..
Knoxy_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Knoxy_warrior
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Im 16, and there is one series of games that my mom finds evil, or cold-blooded or something like that, and I would be talking about the James Bond games. But be it Gears, FEAR, Halo, Resistance, it dosent matter, as long as it's not James Bond., which is sin upon man in my mom's eyesThose games suck anyways though, so I could care less.
PeterPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 PeterPerson
Member since 2007 • 3627 Posts

there have been studies that prove that videogames are actually beneficial to your mind. it requires you to pick up the controller, then you have to figure out what all the buttons do, and it requires a huge amount of focus.

and its lots of fun. if he thinks that video games are a waste of time than thats just his opinion. i hate watching sports because i think "why not just go play the sport rather than sit on your fat ass eating potato chips watching them on tv?

im glad both my mom and my dad like video games and sometimes play with me :P

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#32 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

who in here has biased parents that hate video-games no matter the format?

My dad was enraged I used my credit card to buy a 360. He was ranting about how video-games are for kids and I am 18 years old. Mind you, he told me this while I was playing Conan (for those who don't know, Conan's a wannabe God of War game).

Parents do mean well, and video-game can be destructive if misused. I urge all parents to use logic before disciplining your children than follow the example of my dad; to rant on a kid's system when I'm playing a rated M game.

Benjamin-T

A different point of view. I have 3 kids, one's 13 and he and I game all the time. I have a 360 & PS3, and it's fun for us and something we both enjoy. My wife gets a kick out of seeing us spending hours talking strategy and smack to each other. Now he can't play any M game but Halo, not sure why it's an M, but I grew up on them and so has he. My dad is cool with it because he bought me the intellvision, NES, ect... But my wife's parents think were stupid for spending all that $$ on games. I'd rather my son be with me than him out doing god knows what. But in summer our gaming time drops drastically.

gameroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gameroz
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts
My parents never had a problem with me and video games they knew how much i like video games they use to buy me systems and games untill i got a job now i have to buy my own system and games but they drive me to the store to buy them which is good and show me that they still never have a problem with me and video games
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

Wow. To TC, that sucks that your dad's such a jerk to you. The calculator smashing is a little over the top, it sounds like he has major control issues.

There's always an upside to things and it's too bad your dad doesn't realize that buying a 360 and playing video games is cheaper and more constructive than going out and partying all the time like a majority of 18 year olds.

The silent treatment usually works well. Without being rude or snarky, you can go without talking to him, and when he promts conversation, just give one or two word answers without being snarky, but still with a disinterested tone.

Then he will realize that there is a huge distance between the two of you and may work harder to rectify how he treats you. If that doesn't work, then he's a control freak and he cares more about himself than his own son, so screw him!

GEARSofWAR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GEARSofWAR360
Member since 2006 • 1405 Posts
yea everything is fine in moderation if u play xbox all day every day ur parents have a right to take it away but if u dont play much i see no problem with it
Justinisrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Justinisrad
Member since 2003 • 40 Posts
Why does it even matter OP? You're 18, it's your money, and you can do with it as you please. If your parents can't understand that, they're morons.
magera21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 magera21
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts
Yeah both my parents think it's a waste to buy. I want to take out my money from the bank but my mom has to do it cause it's in a cd or something. And she won't do it cause she's afraid i'm going to spend it all. It's really pissing me off, cause all I want is an xbox 360, bioshock and mass effect. This has been going on for two weeks now. I'm about to go crazy lol.
atst007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 atst007
Member since 2005 • 1019 Posts
Yeah both my parents think it's a waste to buy. I want to take out my money from the bank but my mom has to do it cause it's in a cd or something. And she won't do it cause she's afraid i'm going to spend it all. It's really pissing me off, cause all I want is an xbox 360, bioshock and mass effect. This has been going on for two weeks now. I'm about to go crazy lol. magera21
You'll win this battle as long as you keep asking your mom, trust me, I did it wit GTA SA, and although it took me several months, I won.
zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
Cheer up! My dad was like that too. Now I'm 30 years old and he's finally accepting it! It's ok to politely disagree with him and go about your business, as long as you're the one paying on the credit card. Also since you mentioned it, a little advise for the next 12 years of your life: credit cards are a trap!
magera21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 magera21
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts

[QUOTE="magera21"]Yeah both my parents think it's a waste to buy. I want to take out my money from the bank but my mom has to do it cause it's in a cd or something. And she won't do it cause she's afraid i'm going to spend it all. It's really pissing me off, cause all I want is an xbox 360, bioshock and mass effect. This has been going on for two weeks now. I'm about to go crazy lol. atst007
You'll win this battle as long as you keep asking your mom, trust me, I did it wit GTA SA, and although it took me several months, I won.

haha yeah. i've been asking her everyday since she wakes up. eventually she'll crack I hope.

zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts

My parents used to be all anti game, but they realized ... if I'm at home playing a game at 11 pm ... I'm not out drinking or doing drugs at that time. It's like the lesser of two evils because they know I've been playing long enough that it hasn't affected my behavior.Temptation53

Good deal. My parents took a long time to come around, so at 17 or 18 I was out drinking and doing drugs all the time.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

My parents used to be all anti game, but they realized ... if I'm at home playing a game at 11 pm ... I'm not out drinking or doing drugs at that time. It's like the lesser of two evils because they know I've been playing long enough that it hasn't affected my behavior.Temptation53

Same here, my mum's always going on at me, "why do you spend so much on games, cant you grow up". Well in my village its the only thing i can do, unless you count drinking myself stupid every weekend with the chavs which is not a welcoming thought. I rather be in a nice warm house playing with friends abet online but stil, than in the back of a police car, or passed out somewhere in the cold. Now i dont spend all my time playing games i do go out with my friends to parties and such.

snackshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 snackshack
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Wow,some of you are reallymad at your parents. If it weren't for the fact they feed you, buy clothes, pay for school (sometimes), provide healthcare, transportation, and probably genuinely care about you I'd say just leave.

On the other hand I am a parent and I bought my 360 for my kids. As soon as they can walk and put down the pacifier I'm sure they'll be playing COD with me.

gigaman299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gigaman299
Member since 2004 • 1735 Posts
Both my parents don't support me playing video games. In fact, they hate video games, but they don't stop me from playing and buying them. As long as you have some self-control, it's fine; at least, I think.
Benjamin-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Benjamin-T

Wow,some of you are reallymad at your parents. If it weren't for the fact they feed you, buy clothes, pay for school (sometimes), provide healthcare, transportation, and probably genuinely care about you I'd say just leave.

On the other hand I am a parent and I bought my 360 for my kids. As soon as they can walk and put down the pacifier I'm sure they'll be playing COD with me.

snackshack

Please do not be sarcastic about this issue. Being ignorant and biased about something without even bothering to look at the positive aspect of things is bad parenting. Furthermore, me hating my dad deals with so many issues, along with videogames. We children weren't asked to be brought into this world, and we can't do it alone, so I shouldn't thank them for that, since they knew this was coming when I was born. The only way I wouldthankmy parents is if they show me affection and are involved in my life. I sure love my mother for that; while I find it a bit annoying that she wants to know everything about my life, when I think about it, it is an amazing feeling.

Since you're a new parent snackshack, I urge you to bond with your children. It will make them better people, and they'll be proud to have a mom/dad like you.

Benjamin-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Benjamin-T

Cheer up! My dad was like that too. Now I'm 30 years old and he's finally accepting it! It's ok to politely disagree with him and go about your business, as long as you're the one paying on the credit card. Also since you mentioned it, a little advise for the next 12 years of your life: credit cards are a trap!zaphod_b

I know they are traps, but if you smart about it, you can be slick bout these traps. Thanks for the warning though lol.

PerfectGamer17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PerfectGamer17
Member since 2008 • 303 Posts

My mother brought this up years ago, but then I calmly explained how they are no different from movies and sent her some links and some books about the artistic merit of videogames.

Now she doesn't mind so much :).

Fredrick2003x

lol good job.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#48 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts
They didn't care anymore when i turned 16 got a job and started paying for games and concoles with my own money.
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
my parents see it as a much better hobby than what most kids my age engage in i.e. drugs and illegal things
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#50 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Benjamin-T

haha, hes getting mad at you and yet hes playing a videogame as hes getting mad at you :lol: