Overheating Xbox... ABSOLUTE BULL

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for EnigmaticBeauty
EnigmaticBeauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EnigmaticBeauty
Member since 2007 • 1297 Posts
Yesterday is a prime example... I got Call Of Duty 4, and played it for a total of 16 and a half hours without taking a break... and my 360 and the disk is in fine working order and my 360 is a 2006 model. I think it boils down to the luck of the draw, yes, 360's have problems, but I don't think it's due to overheating, more like design flaws. 3rd party companies who develop those fans for it have taken advantage of the phobia and people are just jumping on the band wagon... as for those who aren't buying a 360 because of these fears of overheating, do you realize you're covered for 3 years? So what if you buy a console, and it goes all redlight on you? You're covered.
KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts

Yesterday is a prime example... I got Call Of Duty 4, and played it for a total of 16 and a half hours without taking a break... and my 360 and the disk is in fine working order and my 360 is a 2006 model. I think it boils down to the luck of the draw, yes, 360's have problems, but I don't think it's due to overheating, more like design flaws. 3rd party companies who develop those fans for it have taken advantage of the phobia and people are just jumping on the band wagon... as for those who aren't buying a 360 because of these fears of overheating, do you realize you're covered for 3 years? So what if you buy a console, and it goes all redlight on you? You're covered.EnigmaticBeauty

i agree to a point, i think half of those broken consoles are due to human error no matter what people say i am sure they had it tucked in to some little cubby hole not getting air etc. it does come down to luck and how you take care of it IMO

Nick11478

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Nick11478
Member since 2006 • 1628 Posts

Yesterday is a prime example... I got Call Of Duty 4, and played it for a total of 16 and a half hours without taking a break... and my 360 and the disk is in fine working order and my 360 is a 2006 model. I think it boils down to the luck of the draw, yes, 360's have problems, but I don't think it's due to overheating, more like design flaws. 3rd party companies who develop those fans for it have taken advantage of the phobia and people are just jumping on the band wagon... as for those who aren't buying a 360 because of these fears of overheating, do you realize you're covered for 3 years? So what if you buy a console, and it goes all redlight on you? You're covered.EnigmaticBeauty

I 50/50 agree with you.

striker131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 striker131
Member since 2006 • 339 Posts
so what? Why should it have these problems to begn with? Now that consoles are getting moreexpensive you would think it would be because theres more quality under the hood, but not for microsoft. They have used the cheapest and most inexpensive parts to develop this console. And why is this thing so loud? Dont get me wrong I love the 360 and I thinkthey would have been much farther ahead if MS had not taken the easiest and quickest route. Thats why they are paying the price now and hopefully will learn. But knowing MS probably not.
flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 flowdee79
Member since 2007 • 4483 Posts
Yea, they rushed the console so they could get a headstart for Christmas.....people shouldn't have to worry about their consoles breaking down. I have a 5 year old PS2 that got knocked down numerous times and it was in cramped areas but it runs perfectly fine.
ShadowJax_04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ShadowJax_04
Member since 2006 • 332 Posts

Unnecessary quoting FTW.

-Jax.

EnigmaticBeauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EnigmaticBeauty
Anything electrical can break down, fact of life. I can go out and buy a car for 150 thousand dollars tomorrow and there is a chance of it breaking down next week. Consoles are getting more and more complicated and using the PS2 as a rock solid console is a bad example lol, I went through 4 PS's and each one suffered the same problem... "disk read error"
Giff1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Giff1988
Member since 2007 • 800 Posts

I tell people to stay away. I'll be on my fourth 360 very soon :? I dont care if it's covered having to go through that once was more then enough.

But you are right, I dont think it's overheating, I was not even playing a game for five minutes and I got 3 red rings. I reallly wish M$ would allow me to open the stupid thing up and take a look. I mean.... this happened 3 times now, either I have very bad luck or I'm doing something wrong. My guess it could be dust but..... I treat my 360 just like my Computer, Xbox, PS2 and DVD player and they all work fine.

PS360Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 PS360Fanboy
Member since 2007 • 2096 Posts
erday i played COD4 for 9 hours straight and it dint overheat
Avatar image for Mutatedbloodelf
Mutatedbloodelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Mutatedbloodelf
Member since 2007 • 853 Posts
I think the probably a bigger problem than overheating; in the week mine broke I probably only played for a total of ten hours.
ParadiseAwaits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ParadiseAwaits
Member since 2007 • 1410 Posts

Well if you knew anything at all about how computers work or took any computer classes then you would find that you are wrong.

The 360 does over-heat. Just because you played it for 16 hours and it didn't break doesn't mean that the system is not over-heating. It just means that it did not get to the point to where it was so hot that it completely fried the chips on the Motherboard.

When a computer circuit gets hotter than its supposed to it lessens its oveall life expectency.

dipper145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dipper145
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts
most of the problems are from people putting the console on the carpet or in a confined place with bad airflow.. then they just leave in it there to let it cook
Avatar image for bi0hazard187949
bi0hazard187949

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bi0hazard187949
Member since 2003 • 631 Posts

If your playing a game for 16 hours total, you need to get a life because thats pretty bad.

Avatar image for the_mighty_boos
the_mighty_boos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#14 the_mighty_boos
Member since 2006 • 198 Posts
my 360 is on a desk with lots of space and airflow, yet it still crashes and has had to be sent in once since last xmas. and im one of the lucky ones :S i like the Xbox, but not MS's cheap tactics
gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts

Yea, they rushed the console so they could get a headstart for Christmas.....people shouldn't have to worry about their consoles breaking down. I have a 5 year old PS2 that got knocked down numerous times and it was in cramped areas but it runs perfectly fine.flowdee79

I agree with that PS2 theory I've had mine for 6-7 years and its been knocked over 3 times. It still works perfectly fine, and I transport back and forth between 2 houses.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Anything electrical can break down, fact of life. I can go out and buy a car for 150 thousand dollars tomorrow and there is a chance of it breaking down next week. Consoles are getting more and more complicated and using the PS2 as a rock solid console is a bad example lol, I went through 4 PS's and each one suffered the same problem... "disk read error" EnigmaticBeauty

build quality has gone down i think, i have an old first gen playstation and that still works even though its been in the shed for the passed 4 years. The first batch of ps2 had problems because the chips that were used were crap. i had a 2nd gen ps2 and that worked up till it got droped down the stairs but that was human error.

bi0hazard187949

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bi0hazard187949

my 360 is on a desk with lots of space and airflow, yet it still crashes and has had to be sent in once since last xmas. and im one of the lucky ones :S i like the Xbox, but not MS's cheap tacticsthe_mighty_boos

All this is just some money scam from microsoft...reason why the 360 was made poor and alot of them are crappin out.

flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 flowdee79
If you think that the 360 has no overheating problems, you are naiive. MS admitted to this which is why the 3 year warranty was introduced.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
one of my teachers at college (who is a computer wizz) says "for the temps the 360 runs at the fans need to be running at max RPM all the time". they packed to much stuff in too smaller box.
bi0hazard187949

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bi0hazard187949

If you think that the 360 has no overheating problems, you are naiive. MS admitted to this which is why the 3 year warranty was introduced.flowdee79

Thank you.

Deadalus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Deadalus_
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts
About two mounths ago I purchased mine XBox 360. I take it as it is - it's like a PC from hardware standpoint, and with greater perfomance come the heat. Only in this case I do agree that XBox 360 cooling sytems are far worse than those found in laptops or dekstop PCs. So I checked which side the air comes in, and where it comes out. After that I realized that there's no place for XBox360 in cramped places, so I put it on the carpet in my living room. But still that thing overheats, and I'm only playing max 2-3 hours without a break, with air tempeture about 23 degrees Celsius. My question goes to anyone who owns this console, what do you do to prevent it to overheat? Simpliest way would be to shorten your gaming sessions, but I've read for some folks it still didn't help ... So any more tricks from saving XBox a long trip to MS :question: Thanks!
jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Unnecessary quoting FTW.

-Jax.

ShadowJax_04

Unnecessary posting FTW. Oh, and another uncessary quote too. FTW FTW FTW!

Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts
My launch 360 will be 2 years old next month... :shock:
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
Deadalus - you're not supposed to put it directly onto carpet. It's says soin the manual.

See ^ that's a prime example. I'm sure there's PLENTY of broken 360's due to this kind of treatment towards the console. Some people just DON'T seem to look after theirequipment or at least follow the instructions...

I'm personally waiting for a shipping label to send mine off. I've always kept my console on a sturdy wooden computer desk with plenty of ventilation but I've had inherent problems since I bought it (11.04.07, man. 06.06.2006) such as graphical corruption (pink and green pixellation which apparently is overheating but it's happened as soon as it's been turned on), a dodgy disc tray that gradually became worse in opening in the vertical position (now takes 4-5 attemps with the Open Tray option and 2+ with the eject button) and finally 'Disc Read Errors' with Halo 3 which I believe stemmed from my HDD. The problem has then migrated to the actual console as it does it without a memory device connected. Other discs play perfectly.

Bottom line is, they cut cost by using the cheapest materials, be that memory chips to capacitors, to the actual motherboard (warping due to heat, anyone?). If we were going to get a 'quality' console, then we REALLY would have had to pay a premium on top...
Deadalus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Deadalus_
Gregoroth, I fully agree with you, but with quality materials comes the price, I'm not sure I would pay for another PS3 clone, then. Sorry for your console, with so much care you did it seems unfair you still have problems. But he warping you mentioned could happen onl in certain temperature, I mean it really must reign hell inside that box for the plastic to deform. The carpet of mine is very flat, by the way, I don't understand what posssibly can it do, if the air vents are on the sides and back (I keep my console horizontal)?
HissingNewt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HissingNewt
Member since 2006 • 290 Posts
The fan will suck in the carpet and that can screw up your 360. Put some kind of sheet under it that will not get sucked in but will also keep the carpet from getting sucked in. Or just put it on a table.
badgert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 badgert
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts

I would get the worst headache if I played for 16 and a half hours. Anyways I've had two Xboxs break on me and both they were only on for an hour or so when they broke. So it probably wasn't overheating for those failures.

EnigmaticBeauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EnigmaticBeauty

[QUOTE="EnigmaticBeauty"]Yesterday is a prime example... I got Call Of Duty 4, and played it for a total of 16 and a half hours without taking a break... and my 360 and the disk is in fine working order and my 360 is a 2006 model. I think it boils down to the luck of the draw, yes, 360's have problems, but I don't think it's due to overheating, more like design flaws. 3rd party companies who develop those fans for it have taken advantage of the phobia and people are just jumping on the band wagon... as for those who aren't buying a 360 because of these fears of overheating, do you realize you're covered for 3 years? So what if you buy a console, and it goes all redlight on you? You're covered.ParadiseAwaits

Well if you knew anything at all about how computers work or took any computer classes then you would find that you are wrong.

The 360 does over-heat. Just because you played it for 16 hours and it didn't break doesn't mean that the system is not over-heating. It just means that it did not get to the point to where it was so hot that it completely fried the chips on the Motherboard.

When a computer circuit gets hotter than its supposed to it lessens its oveall life expectency.

I know enough about computers to know that they are designed to be left on continous. Now, I'm not saying that the 360 is designed to stay on, but people completely overreact with the "overheating" theory, first of all, the machine is no hotter than usual, secondly, if it overheated, it would switch itself off automatically as a safety feature and thirdly, yes there is a design flaw, perhaps it is bad circuitry, who knows, the fact remains that there are many things that affect your console's life span, how well you look after it for instance plays a big part.

My 360 is well ventilated, on a cold surface, the room temperature is baking to be honest, I'm very very expensive during the winter and demand my heat, I have played Call Of Duty 4 for hours, it's not the first time and not the last either and have had no problems.

EnigmaticBeauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 EnigmaticBeauty

[QUOTE="EnigmaticBeauty"]Yesterday is a prime example... I got Call Of Duty 4, and played it for a total of 16 and a half hours without taking a break... and my 360 and the disk is in fine working order and my 360 is a 2006 model. I think it boils down to the luck of the draw, yes, 360's have problems, but I don't think it's due to overheating, more like design flaws. 3rd party companies who develop those fans for it have taken advantage of the phobia and people are just jumping on the band wagon... as for those who aren't buying a 360 because of these fears of overheating, do you realize you're covered for 3 years? So what if you buy a console, and it goes all redlight on you? You're covered.bi0hazard187949

If your playing a game for 16 hours total, you need to get a life because thats pretty bad.

I had nothing better to do and I enjoyed myself. Sara was working, and went out with a few of her friends after work...so what's a nicer way to relax and play some games online?

deceased101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deceased101
Member since 2007 • 121 Posts
Yeah my 360 broke the first day i got it. :(
ParadiseAwaits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ParadiseAwaits
Member since 2007 • 1410 Posts
[QUOTE="ParadiseAwaits"]

[QUOTE="EnigmaticBeauty"]Yesterday is a prime example... I got Call Of Duty 4, and played it for a total of 16 and a half hours without taking a break... and my 360 and the disk is in fine working order and my 360 is a 2006 model. I think it boils down to the luck of the draw, yes, 360's have problems, but I don't think it's due to overheating, more like design flaws. 3rd party companies who develop those fans for it have taken advantage of the phobia and people are just jumping on the band wagon... as for those who aren't buying a 360 because of these fears of overheating, do you realize you're covered for 3 years? So what if you buy a console, and it goes all redlight on you? You're covered.EnigmaticBeauty

I know enough about computers to know that they are designed to be left on continous. Now, I'm not saying that the 360 is designed to stay on, but people completely overreact with the "overheating" theory, first of all, the machine is no hotter than usual, secondly, if it overheated, it would switch itself off automatically as a safety feature and thirdly, yes there is a design flaw, perhaps it is bad circuitry, who knows, the fact remains that there are many things that affect your console's life span, how well you look after it for instance plays a big part.

My 360 is well ventilated, on a cold surface, the room temperature is baking to be honest, I'm very very expensive during the winter and demand my heat, I have played Call Of Duty 4 for hours, it's not the first time and not the last either and have had no problems.

Your ideas have no basis in fact.

Do some research before posting. You can't base facts off your unique experience alone.

CPUs and GPUS are supposed to stay below 100 degrees Farenheight.

That being said, you lost the argument when you made this thread. Research before lying to the community.

DarkRider23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkRider23
Member since 2004 • 1753 Posts

To anyone who has had to repair a console more than 3 times, just complain. The customer service reps will MOST likely offer you free things like games and controllers.

@TC-I've heard suspending your power brick in the air actually cools down your console and prevents it from overheating. Try it out.

z-man34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 z-man34
Member since 2007 • 193 Posts

one of my teachers at college (who is a computer wizz) says "for the temps the 360 runs at the fans need to be running at max RPM all the time". they packed to much stuff in too smaller box.clyde46

They probably put it all in a small box due to the criticism they got from the original Xbox, which was huge.

z-man34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 z-man34
Member since 2007 • 193 Posts

A very effective way of ventilating your 360 is to have it horizontal, and place a book or something like that under it. I have done that, and dont have any over-heating problems.

bluezclue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bluezclue
Member since 2005 • 1865 Posts
whats tha failure rate on these consoles? last time i checked its not 100% right? my damn system over heated FIRST DAY.. didnt even play the damn thing long, and now i play it for like 3 hours at a time... and works fine... just cuz the damn thing doesnt mess up every time, it doesnt mean its human error...the system over heats because of a design flaw... anyway... as for the warranty... yea ur covered... but send ur system in... lets see ho much u enjoy being without a system u paid 400 bucks for about a month..
Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3112 Posts
Dude how do you play a game for SIXTEEN HOURS STRAIGHT?! Do you have any other interests? Has you sedentary lifestyle caused you to acquire a beer gut, hypertension, male pattern baldness, ED, and/or total lack of social skills derived from holing up in a basement somewhere?
Bruce_McGivern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bruce_McGivern
Member since 2003 • 1667 Posts
I have to agree with you Enigmatic Beauty... also haven't seen you for awhile!
stevenmejia007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 stevenmejia007
Member since 2004 • 896 Posts

agree 100 %

septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 septemberluc
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
Anyone ever stop to think about the 360 demo units in our retail stores? Gamestop stores, for example, have 360 demos that are up and running consistently from 10:00am until 9:00pm.

No real point to be made here, just wanted to point that out.
LLCoolKo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LLCoolKo
Member since 2005 • 794 Posts

Some of you guys are getting me on edge a little here haha, I mean the XBOX 360 breaking on the first time you play? That is ridiculous and as for the member who said they packed it into a smaller box, because the other was ridiculed...I never even found the box to be that big in all honesty, I thought it was a reasonable size, wasnt the size of the television.

Deadalus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Deadalus_
Damn, today my XBox 360 froze for the first time, while loading another section of level in HL2. Hope that isn't the first sign of agony...
flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 flowdee79

^^^A lot of the time the freezing is to do with the game itself, especially Oblivion so I wouldnt worry too much about it

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts
Good lord, you played for 16 hrs straight!?!? I've have the game since last Wednesday and I've only clocked around 8 hours and about half of that is from my friend this weekend!
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I bought an elite a month ago, I've had it freeze 3 times so far, but no ring problems. When I feel the back it's pretty dam,n hot. I have it horizontal, but I wonder if keeping it verticle helps it cool better!? Then again, I don't ever play for 16 freakin hours straight! Don't you do things in your life? geez, 15 hours max! lol.

No seriously though, it's the bad heat sinks inside, that cause teh GPU to overheat. Funny thing is, these new HALO edition boxes have the 65nm cpu, but the cpu is never what overheats, its always been the gpu. Problem NOT avoided. They really need to make a fan module, and man I wish the dvd drive was quieter!

ernelson1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#46 ernelson1976
Member since 2002 • 170 Posts

As far as I know, Microsoft hasn't given a specific explanation for why the RRoD occurs. Some have asserted that it is overheating, but my impression is that there are multiple causes. I would guess that a large number come from people misusing the console and not reading the instructions, and another large number come from a design flaw. The problem is that the RRoD is a non-specific error message. There are a number of failures that could cause it.

These devices are complicated and put out a lot of heat. The guide that came with the 360 pretty clearly stated how it should be placed, and it's obvious people either didn't read it or ignored it. So it's really no surprise that there are problems. That said, at least Microsoft is covering the problem with the extended warranty, and it looks like nearly all of the problems are fixed in the more recent consoles.

That's better than most companies would do.

slicnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 slicnick
Member since 2003 • 188 Posts
i saw a thing about it somewhere and the said the main reason for overheating is the curvy design off the case that makes it harder for heat to vent out fast enough or somethin like that
MagusMaleficus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MagusMaleficus
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts

Dude, 16 hours... That's insane. Sure, it didn't screw up and die this time; but keep playing for such exaggerated lengths of time, and you'll have an expensive paperweight in no time. You really shouldn't play for more than two to three hours (and three is pushing it) at a time, and give the 360 plenty of time (at least an hour; possibly more) to cool down between sessions.

What do you do for a living that you can play a game for so long in one sitting? Christ, I'm a college student and damn-near full-time employee at a bulk foods store... I'd love to have that kind of free time.

Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Patriot298
Member since 2006 • 1187 Posts
I agree with the first person who started this topic to a certain point. One thing that I noticed (having read several overheating complaints on here) was that most did put their 360 in a small compacted place. I saw several that swore up and down that they took care of there 360 and it should have never overheated. Yet I remember some of the same people posting pic's of the setup and it was either stuffed next to a big TV inside an entertainment center or it had something laying on top of it. A good number of the setup pic's I seen had their 360 all closed in.