Oh My God, What Have I Done...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Shinobi_Daisuke
Shinobi_Daisuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Shinobi_Daisuke
Member since 2007 • 3660 Posts
I was playing Fallout 3 as my evil character that I put a TON of work into (I have a good character as well) and I decided to switch characters to do a couple things. I ended up overwriting my good character's save over my evil one's and I feel so incredibly horrible. Please, does anyone know if there is ANY way whatsoever to reclaim the file? I don't care what I have to do, just is there a way to do it??
IrishBrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 IrishBrew
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts
Wow...Unless you find out some reverse hard drive tips (made that up) I think you might have shot yourself in the leg Plexico style.... Sorry to here that bro...
Shinobi_Daisuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shinobi_Daisuke

Wow...Unless you find out some reverse hard drive tips (made that up) I think you might have shot yourself in the leg Plexico style.... Sorry to here that bro...IrishBrew

I'm so pissed off about this that I don't even want to play the game anymore. If I have to hack the damn disc, then so be it.

T_0_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 T_0_D
Member since 2007 • 1128 Posts

Their is nothing you can do about it...I did something similar with Oblivion, my advice: Stop playing for a while and then come back to the game. Otherwise it will feel like a grind and you don't want that do ya?

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I read the thread title and thought, "Uh oh, he must have self-destructed the Enterprise." (Yeah, yeah, nerdy joke.)

Anyway, wow, that really sucks. I have no suggestions for you, but you have my sympathy. In any game where you can save at will, I always keep at least two alternating saves. In an RPG, I also archive saves as I go along. In Oblivion, I keep a save at 100, 200, and so on, so that if I do **** something up, I have a backup.

steventhebol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 steventhebol
Member since 2003 • 360 Posts

I was playing Fallout 3 as my evil character that I put a TON of work into (I have a good character as well) and I decided to switch characters to do a couple things. I ended up overwriting my good character's save over my evil one's and I feel so incredibly horrible. Please, does anyone know if there is ANY way whatsoever to reclaim the file? I don't care what I have to do, just is there a way to do it??Shinobi_Daisuke

GAME OVER,sorry to say.

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts
That is disappointing and I can imagine very frustrating. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to rectify it. :(
Louis-D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Louis-D
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. It's an easy mistake to make.

atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts

I'm afraid there isn't. The EXACT SAME THING to me (same game, same scenario with multiple different Karma characters) hap and there was nothing I could do about it; I completely understand how you feel and what's happened. But hey, after losing 25 hours of gameplay and a lot of work I was ready to just stop playing the game forever, but I realized how amazing the game was and just kept playing. Now look where I am just a few weeks later - I've nearly tripled all the work that I lost and I have a single achievement left to get in the game.

But yeah sorry man there's absolutely nothing you can do to reverse what's happened, but I highly suggest you don't let it discourage you from continuing to play the game. Just out of curiosity, exactly how much progress did you lose? As in what level were you and how many hours were put into the save?

philradz18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 philradz18
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The game is 10 hours long. You'll get over it in one sitting.
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
The game is 10 hours long. You'll get over it in one sitting.philradz18
Uh, wrong... that time could possibly be applied to the main story quests, but I'm pretty sure that those take a bit longer than 10 hours to complete. Fallout 3's only as long as the player makes it, and I'm sure there are over a 100 hours worth of things to do in the game.
lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts
Thats unfortunate. My friend got his file in Oblivion overwritten and he had to start from the beginning.
Nasukashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nasukashi
Member since 2005 • 134 Posts
damn man that sucks, its always good to keep some back up saves on games with a saving system like fallout u know? but relax, dont play for a while and go back to it later, u can even do a better job this time :P

man i remember one time where i saved a tomb raider game right when i was about to die... i dont remember how i did that, but i was at the very end, and after that save, every time a loaded the game, lara would be falling to her death O.o... man that pissed me off so much i didnt play the game for like a year
Shinobi_Daisuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shinobi_Daisuke
Oh, I'm not sure. I was playing as that character for a couple weeks and he was level 15, I believe... maybe higher.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Yes, this has happened to me before as well. It sucks, but there's nothing you can do really.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
Wow...Unless you find out some reverse hard drive tips (made that up) I think you might have shot yourself in the leg Plexico style.... Sorry to here that bro...IrishBrew
Hahahahahah.. :lol:
cardcollect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cardcollect
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

LMAO! Thanks for the laugh. Unfortunately, it cost the team the game today, imo :(.

FNKYMNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FNKYMNK
Member since 2008 • 142 Posts
Dude, you just pwnd yourself.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

The game is 10 hours long. You'll get over it in one sitting.philradz18

You know that when you make the game as easy as possible you can't judge the games length based off of that right?

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts
sucks dude, i use to do that alot when i was younger, now i make two copies of all saves (for all rpgs) just incase.
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kidrock17xp
Member since 2004 • 2966 Posts
can't you have more than one save per character? or does the game just keep over writing the same save file each time you save?
Avatar image for DancesWitKoopas
DancesWitKoopas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DancesWitKoopas
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts
That's rough man =/ I've done that before. I remember one particularly hurtful incident during my childhood where all my ps1 save files were wiped off the memory card. Anyways, like someone said before, leave the game for a while and come back when you've got the urge to play it again.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 craigalan23

can't you have more than one save per character? or does the game just keep over writing the same save file each time you save?kidrock17xp

You can have as many saves as you want.

dlindenb2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -11

#27 dlindenb2000
Member since 2005 • 4750 Posts
Golden Rule for any RPG. Use all the save slots you can. If there's 8 slots, overwrite the oldest one each time. In a game like Fallout 3, that has no limit on the slots, never ever overwrite any save you make. You can tell the diference between someone who's been playing rpgs for a few decades compared to someone who's only done a few. They have 2856 saves in Oblivion.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
there is nothing you can do dude, sorry
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
Sorry dude you are SOL.
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kidrock17xp
Member since 2004 • 2966 Posts

[QUOTE="kidrock17xp"]can't you have more than one save per character? or does the game just keep over writing the same save file each time you save?craigalan23

this was avoidable then. In an RPG you should always use 2 or 3 saves so you can go back. It's not like they take up a ton of space or anything.

rakan959

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rakan959
Member since 2008 • 422 Posts

I never overwrite saves. Whenever I get to a big point in a game, I create a new save file. Sure it uses up more HDD space, but it prevents things like this from happening.

Every time I do something major, I make a new save file so if I screw up, I won't be sent back. Auto save overwrites your previous save, so I save files at big places in the game.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 craigalan23
[QUOTE="craigalan23"]

[QUOTE="kidrock17xp"]can't you have more than one save per character? or does the game just keep over writing the same save file each time you save?kidrock17xp

this was avoidable then. In an RPG you should always use 2 or 3 saves so you can go back. It's not like they take up a ton of space or anything.

Yes it was i have four save files and i believe they add up to 703 saves on one playthrough.

Fioth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Fioth
Member since 2004 • 187 Posts

If it was a case of simply reclaiming data from your average HD you could find a ton of ways to get your save back.But in the case of 360's HD (and the reason why its such an expensive piece of hardware) there are just too many locks and protections on the thing to make sure that the gts are secure.So sorry m8 but you can't do much.

As someone suggested above leave the game for some time and the come back and start anew...

BaconB1ts123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BaconB1ts123
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
next time sign into/create another profile before messing around.
Dexz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dexz
Member since 2003 • 94 Posts

The saving file feature of fallout is so stupid. I actually did the very same thing on my main character when I was playing through oblivion.

Sucks bro but take it like a man and replay it, you know it's worth it!

Caml10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Caml10
Member since 2006 • 412 Posts

Golden Rule for any RPG. Use all the save slots you can. If there's 8 slots, overwrite the oldest one each time. In a game like Fallout 3, that has no limit on the slots, never ever overwrite any save you make. You can tell the diference between someone who's been playing rpgs for a few decades compared to someone who's only done a few. They have 2856 saves in Oblivion.dlindenb2000

Amen. I'm currently replaying KOTORII and after I had to start over due to a corrupted save 8 hours in, I rotate my saves over 9 different files, no more than an hour or so apart.

Over the summer I only used one save file on Mass Effect, and then wound up getting running iinto a load screen that never loaded fully on Noveria. So there went 13 hours and one truly BA custom Shepard...

robbfree_77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 robbfree_77
which achievment?
robbfree_77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 robbfree_77
i have almost 400 saves for that game, spreading 3 playthrus and 3 characters...new one each time i play for more than 5-10 hours..
thebaronmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thebaronmoo
Member since 2007 • 246 Posts
ummm its plaxico. just like the invisible pink unicorn talking to me right now. On Topic: I dont think there's anything you can do
djmillard2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 djmillard2
Member since 2005 • 1372 Posts
self-pwned
Fishbrain8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Fishbrain8
Member since 2008 • 679 Posts
the same kind of thing happened to me in Oblivion. I just didn't play it for a while and came back to it later and had fun doing everything again.
Avatar image for AnotherMulligan
AnotherMulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AnotherMulligan
Member since 2008 • 237 Posts

[QUOTE="IrishBrew"]Wow...Unless you find out some reverse hard drive tips (made that up) I think you might have shot yourself in the leg Plexico style.... Sorry to here that bro...cardcollect

LMAO! Thanks for the laugh. Unfortunately, it cost the team the game today, imo :(.

i'm pretty sure the giants are better off without plaxico. also, i believe it was the d-line. they let westbrook run wild.
thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thequietguy
Member since 2008 • 2160 Posts

lol, that sucks. It happened to me a couple years ago with Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic a few hours before finishing the game, and Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding (Xbox) when I was a few steps from winning the game.

My advice: have two or three game saves.

bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
Yup, I think you're screwed. It sucks I know. I did the same thing in Oblivion. I spent somewhere around 50+ hours on a thief character that was super fast, stealthy, and strong, made a new guy one day, and overwrote it. I was so mad I sold the game (eventually bought it back 8 months later). I wish more games made it harder to do something like that, like in Fable where each character has its own specific save slot.
_Kikode_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 _Kikode_
Member since 2008 • 434 Posts
What makes this story so funny to me is that it was your evil characters save that copied over the Good character. I can feel your pain though beause something similar happened to me in FF7.
Avatar image for decepticondevil
decepticondevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 decepticondevil
Member since 2003 • 3607 Posts

I always have as many saves as possible.... not just for RPG's, but for any game that allows it. I've been gaming long enough to know better. :P

superluigi96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 superluigi96
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts

Ouch... reminds me of the time I started Resident Evil 4 over again to try something and saved over my almost-finished save. Or the time I took my almost-finished-Pokedex game of Pokemon Yellow out of my Game Boy without turning it off, and when I put it back in, it was erased.

If you're lucky (and are willing to shell out cash to get your save back) you could try one of those computer forensic kits that the police use to recover deleted data from hard drives, but I'm guessing your new save physically overwrote the old one on the hard drive, so it might not even be recoverable that way.

McNulty5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 McNulty5
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts

I think Fall Out Boy said it besst "
I don't care (I don't care)
You said I don't care (I don't care)
Said I don't care,
I don't care
I don't care (I don't care), I said-a
I don't care

The best of us can find happiness
In misery"

I know it sucks, just remember you would've stopped playing the game at a certain point anyway (I for one found F3 to be horrible, it's just so boring, and this comes from a person who spent 140 hours on his oblivion character)

Solors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#50 Solors
Member since 2008 • 574 Posts
You could of just had more than one save. If I save over my character by mistake, ill just load up my other save for the same character that is at the exact same spot in the game.