Oblivion too difficult?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

maxis87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 maxis87
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

hi, i bought oblivion a while ago and have been trying to get into the game, but i just cant.

first i dont know what im supposed to do half of the time im playing it, and the other half i get b**ch slapped by enemies.

im at the beggining in oblivion gateway....corridors and blood feast

when i engage an enemy he always leaves me with less than half the health i had...i play in the standard difficulty...that being medium i think

what should i do please? should i lower the diff? im an dark elf and only have a couple of spells....shield and axe

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts

hi, i bought oblivion a while ago and have been trying to get into the game, but i just cant.

first i dont know what im supposed to do half of the time im playing it, and the other half i get b**ch slapped by enemies.

when i engage an enemy he always leaves me with less than half the health i had...i play in the standard difficulty...that being medium i think

what should i do please? should i lower the diff? im an dark elf and only have a couple of spells....shield and axe

maxis87

hm..its difficult but u didnt lower the difficulty yet? yea just lower it thts wht i did on tht part

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 11746
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts
yo you can mack the game harder and easyer sweet
Avatar image for X360NowPS3Later
X360NowPS3Later

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 X360NowPS3Later
Member since 2006 • 340 Posts
Read about the levelling system, it should help you understand what skills are effected by attributes, etc. And you will understand how to level too. You aren't supposed to try and level up as fast as you can, you should raise the attributes that are vital to your classes skills first. For now, just turn diff. down to minimun. :) It's always fun going on a rampage.
jacksheets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jacksheets
Member since 2005 • 1747 Posts

I never had to turn down the difficulty in this game. You obviously should have some good restoration spells to get your health back after each fight. As far as really not knowing where to go or what to do is fine... it's an open world and you're free to do as many quests as you want. There is THE main quest though where you take missions mainly from Martin Septim. Buying the illustrated Bradygames or Prima (forget which company made it) strategy guide is WELL worth the money.

Really knowing the games in's and out's are crucial as far as leveling up, and dealing with combat. You may want to get the guide or at least read some of the FAQ's on gamefaqs.com.

Slipin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Slipin
Member since 2004 • 989 Posts

I've heard peope cry too easy, but too hard? Heh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 11746
yo how to i get a gamer pic
LilSlugger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LilSlugger1
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts
It seems like from what you are saying that you are doing the main oblivion quests. You should try doing alot of the side quests in the game to kind of learn the ropes such as leveling up, learning what skills to equip your character with, etc. The good thing about oblivion is that you can do anything due to the game being so open ended.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 11746
well i have bet the mane quest and i have killed every one in imperionl city and iam lv 10
maxis87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 maxis87
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

thank u, i thought maybe the diff was made that way to lower it sometimes and leave it standard when u are more hours into the game.

i will try to go on with the standard diff and read a few F.A.Qs, i just hope i can kill this bastards because i get bored from drying so many times!

thanx

cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 cheezisgoooood
Member since 2004 • 6130 Posts
Only if you're a nub at it. I had a level 4 who was guildmaster of the mage guild, fighters guild, champion of cyradil and all sorts of stuff. If you level up too fast, it gets too difficult, you have to gain skills first before you level up. Doing it every time the screen says you should sleep is a bad idea.
cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 cheezisgoooood
Member since 2004 • 6130 Posts
[QUOTE="maxis87"]

pygmahia5

hm..its difficult but u didnt lower the difficulty yet? yea just lower it thts wht i did on tht part

You could turn down the difficulty? :|

I seriously didn't know that...I literally poured 150 hours into this game and never knew you could lower the difficulty...omg...I'm such a dumb***.

jacksheets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jacksheets

You could turn down the difficulty? :|

I seriously didn't know that...I literally poured 150 hours into this game and never knew you could lower the difficulty...omg...I'm such a dumb***.

cheezisgoooood

There's no need to turn it down anyways though, the game is perfectly balanced in terms of difficulty.

amob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 amob
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
you know, if you wait after each battle, your health and mp will be restored.
acidic_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 acidic_dude
Member since 2003 • 1713 Posts

I never had to turn down the difficulty in this game. You obviously should have some good restoration spells to get your health back after each fight. As far as really not knowing where to go or what to do is fine... it's an open world and you're free to do as many quests as you want. There is THE main quest though where you take missions mainly from Martin Septim. Buying the illustrated Bradygames or Prima (forget which company made it) strategy guide is WELL worth the money.

Really knowing the games in's and out's are crucial as far as leveling up, and dealing with combat. You may want to get the guide or at least read some of the FAQ's on gamefaqs.com.

jacksheets
If you turn down the game's difficulty, do you still get the achievement points?
jacksheets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jacksheets
[QUOTE="jacksheets"]

acidic_dude

If you turn down the game's difficulty, do you still get the achievement points?

Yes.

vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts
I'm acctually burprised more people didn't know that. It is fun to turn the difficultie up all the way and try to take down an Ogre. I swear it is almost impossible.......fun though.
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
Oblivion is one of the easiest games on the 360. When you are starting off, I'd advise you to stay away from scamps or you'll get pwned by their fireballs.
Lee2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lee2000
Member since 2004 • 711 Posts
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#23 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Pause, options, difficulty setings.
soroush7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 soroush7
Member since 2003 • 1968 Posts
Your a mage right? So am I and i had trouble at the beginning. If you cant handel the Spell system, just make a diff character (Warrior is easiest to play with).
icabog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 icabog
Member since 2005 • 174 Posts
11746 werent you 11745 the one that started anoying people on the fable 2 boards at gamefaqs.
jacksheets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jacksheets

11746 werent you 11745 the one that started anoying people on the fable 2 boards at gamefaqs.icabog

He seems like quite the troll, I wouldn't be shocked.

rdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rdo
Member since 2004 • 10314 Posts

maxis87
one of your spells should be heal, cast it often. an axe? when you get into the first gate you are gonna see dead soldiers. take their katana's, armor potions etc... if you are just starting their equipment is better than yours. your character will get better over time. remember to equip their stuff so you are useing it, not carrying dead weight.
SolidKeevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 SolidKeevo
Member since 2004 • 2092 Posts
If your having a tough time, lower the difficulty. I had to for my stealth based characters, but once you get better at the game, and your character gets better as well, you can start putting the difficulty back up.
Naros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Naros
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

If you don't understand the leveling system in Oblivion the game will get really difficult at around level 15 and higher. You will have to kite (attack, run back, attack, and so on) high level creatures - even if you are using melee - in order to survive.

The key to leveling is to get as high attribute bonus as possible when you level up. Getting three 2s is really not good enough. If you get 4s or 5s you'll be more than fine. The bonus you get is decided by how many skill level-ups you've had in an attribute (strength, intelligence, etc) during that level. So if you want a high bonus in strength you need to level your Hand To Hand, Blade, and Blunt skills. How many skill-ups you get determine how big a bonus in that attribute you'll get. It makes no difference if these skills are in your major or minor skill sets, and it doesn't matter which ones of these skills you level. So you could get a +5 bonus just by leveling Blade if you wanted to. Also, if you have had 10 major skill-ups in a level (ie when you can level up by sleeping), skill-ups you get after that doesn't affect that level. They are transferred to the next level, so be sure to level your minor skills first so you know you will get a good bonus. However be warned, skill-ups in minor skills aren't transferred, they are completely wasted.

Here's a list showing how many skill-ups you need for the bonuses.

1. +0
  2. +2
  3. +2
  4. +2
  5. +2
  6. +3
  7. +3
  8. +4
  9. +4
  10. +5
Because the creatures scale with your level, the game for most players only gets more difficult if you level a lot, so there's no point in leveling if it's not going to be a "good level". And to be honest, if it weren't for some special "bosses" being a set level, you'd be able to complete the whole game as level 1. So what I do in Oblivion is to put all the skills I am going to use frequently in the minor skill set. And then I put skills I won't use in major skills. So for a warrior character, put blade, blunt, heavy armor etc, everything you'd ever use as a warrior, in your minor skills. Then put alchemy, conjuration etc as major skills. This way, you decide when you want to level up by grinding your magic skills for a minute wherever you are. This means you can quite easily get +5 in every attribute you want when you level. This isn't as easy when you're a mage however, as you won't be able to "farm" your skills like this out of combat.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

Slipin

That's what I was thinking. Beating the Arena at level 3 isn't what I consider "too hard".

Naros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Naros
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Slipin"]

GodLovesDead

That's what I was thinking. Beating the Arena at level 3 isn't what I consider "too hard".

You should try beating it at level 30 instead. That will be too hard unless you have leveled really good.

BRENDAWG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BRENDAWG
Member since 2008 • 65 Posts
just too boring for me
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Slipin"]

Naros

You should try beating it at level 30 instead. That will be too hard unless you have leveled really good.

I'd never do that because all it does is point out how terrible the game's leveling system is. It's a shame they screwed the game up so miserably.

ruggedzero123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ruggedzero123
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
ummm i have it on xbox 360 and i turn down the diff and it just goes straight back up when i exit the menu what do i do ??
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#35 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Why you haven't lowered the difficulty yet it beyond me.