Now that FF13 is out...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TrapMuzik92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 TrapMuzik92
Member since 2009 • 3424 Posts

To those of you that have played it how do you like the new combat system? Any changes you would make?

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

I like not having to worry about imputing attacks for all my party members. Paradigm system is great. I wish I had more than just 3 characters in battles at a time though. Other than that I am really enjoying the game. I also like how Libra plays a better role in the game since once you know the enemies weakness your NPC buddies start pummeling it with the right magic attacks (I've never found a good use in any previous FF game. I've played/own 1-10 :P ).

AkTa87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AkTa87
Member since 2004 • 31 Posts

I`ve played for about 7 hours.

At first it crossed my mind that it would be cool to have an option to control all the characters, but then on the 2nd hand the combat is fast paced and when you actively change the paradigms you still have the control over your party and decide the way they battle. And AI does it`s job atleast as efficiently as I myself would, so I like it the way it is.

In my opinion it works really great, altough it`s different than before and if you take the prejudicive approach and decide it`s bs then it naturally affects the way you experience the whole game. So far I think the game lives up to it´s name.

And about the lack of exploration, I also tought about it and what it actually means to let it go.. In the end it`s all just walking from point A to B, whether it`s would be in the large area or a path. It`s the presentation that makes the big difference, the feel you get from moving to different environments and how everything fits the plot. I think the gaming community is over reacting to this aspect in the game.

Maersyndel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maersyndel
Member since 2005 • 402 Posts

There's linear and there's this game. I mean, it's so linear it actually gives you hints which way to walk in an area where you have no choice which way to walk....

I'm liking the game but it feels very dumbed down. Will finish and never go back I'm guessing.....

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
i like ff13 combat system i ve played for about 9 hours
PsYcHo_BrOwNiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 PsYcHo_BrOwNiE
Member since 2009 • 5059 Posts
Seems the same to me
Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts
Seems the same to mePsYcHo_BrOwNiE
Wrong. You didn't played then. The new combat system is very nice, i liked a lot. It's all about unleash attacks and use wisely yours "shifts".
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

I enjoy the new battle system quite a lot i must say, the whole staggering thing is pretty good and while you try to stagger, timing your attack with your party is the key to a better chance at staggering. The linearity didn't bothered me much, you get plenty of sidequest later on in the game and the oh so interesting mark hunting like in FF12!

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

I like it a lot. At first I was bummed out that you can only control one character, but as more options unlock during the course of the game and it being fast paced, that would have been hard to manage. I did have to change the ATB speed to slow, it was a little too fast for my tastes. I didn't get much of a chance to evaluate my options and stratagize my next move, now I can. :) Loving the game so far.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
Have SE finally lost it? How long were they developing FFXIII? is this all they could come up with, after all that time? An old fashioned, linear RPG? I haven't played FFXIII and probably never will. I can't stand linear JRPG's, after playing Eternal Sonata. ES is probably the worst game I've ever played. So yeah, no FFXIII for me. How am I supposed to go back to the old school after playing games like Oblivion and Mass Effect 2? Not good enough, SE.
TrapMuzik92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TrapMuzik92
About the linearity...it kind of makes sence to me since the storyline is about them having to save the world w/e I guess they wouldnt have time to stop and talk about people or have a cup of coffee haha
ichiban30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ichiban30
Member since 2008 • 384 Posts

About the linearity...it kind of makes sence to me since the storyline is about them having to save the world w/e I guess they wouldnt have time to stop and talk about people or have a cup of coffee hahaTrapMuzik92

Ha! I was totally thinking the same thing. If I had to save the world or save someone I loved, I wouldn't mess around in towns that didn't matter and travel around the world three times and talk to the random person sitting on some steps. I would go from point A to point B to fulfill my goal. So far the linearity hasn't bothered me. I am enjoying the story progression.

As for TC's question,I feel the combat is very refreshing.It is fast paced and fluid.I enjoy the paradigm shifts, which can really change the direction the battle is going. When there are a lot of enemies, it's so intense. I don't mind being able to control only one character because I think it would be too much to control in these fast paced battles. The paradigms are enough control for me.

drkessence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 drkessence
Member since 2006 • 237 Posts

I personally love this game. It's not the best FF game, but it's still pretty damn good. I love the new combat system. If anything, it's more realistic than every other FF or even any other CQC game for that matter. The fact that they run in for a few hits and slightly retreat back (as opposed to jumping forward, hitting once, and then jumping 10 feet back into a line) is exactly how normal combat would work out. And the graphics. Awesome. Some of the best animation and facial expressions I've seen since Uncharted 2. I haven't gotten very far (just got the Shiva sisters), but so far it's pretty linear. I've been told that changed later so I'll wait till then for that judgement. The story is fantastic, but isn't every FF's story? Some people complained about needing the info in the menu in order to understand the story, but, having no prior knowledge of the story, I've been able to follow it perfectly fine. Every so often I'll check out the info just to get some more facts about different factions or characters. All in all, this is an extremely enjoyable game that I'll probably play multiple times like the other FF games.

-Edit- I AM kind of missing the towns and stuff, but it's no biggie. I bought FF for strategic combat and an amazing story equivalent to a Miyazaki film.

AdamantArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AdamantArmor
Member since 2010 • 35 Posts

I loooooove it so far. As you can see by my forum name, I've been a FF fan for like 20 years, but the last 3 or 4 just haven't done it for me. This one is awesome though. It's pissing me off that so many people seem so down on it. They need to give it a chance, it's just a new direction.

I got a poll on my Facebook stream about this, go vote because people need to know how good this game really is. GO VOTE!!

TrapMuzik92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TrapMuzik92
[QUOTE="AdamantArmor"]

I loooooove it so far. As you can see by my forum name, I've been a FF fan for like 20 years, but the last 3 or 4 just haven't done it for me. This one is awesome though. It's pissing me off that so many people seem so down on it. They need to give it a chance, it's just a new direction.

I got a poll on my Facebook stream about this, go vote because people need to know how good this game really is. GO VOTE!!

I know right? Its like do people really have that much time on their hands to talk to people go exploring saying hi to random people and stuff lol I like the linearity in my opinion.
Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts

I like not having to worry about imputing attacks for all my party members. Paradigm system is great. I wish I had more than just 3 characters in battles at a time though. Other than that I am really enjoying the game. I also like how Libra plays a better role in the game since once you know the enemies weakness your NPC buddies start pummeling it with the right magic attacks (I've never found a good use in any previous FF game. I've played/own 1-10 :P ).

DJSAV_101
I love the implementation of Libra as well. It actually helps the AI team members fight smarter. But I disagree with having more than three members. That would remove just about any element of challenge. Especially when you get the launch move witht he commando class and just start juggling these humongous monsters in the air and keeping them up there. You would then have four people pummeling that airborne enemy. Dead meat would be an understatement.
AdamantArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AdamantArmor
Member since 2010 • 35 Posts

[QUOTE="AdamantArmor"]

TrapMuzik92

I know right? Its like do people really have that much time on their hands to talk to people go exploring saying hi to random people and stuff lol I like the linearity in my opinion.

Well don't get me wrong, I love me some oldskool final fantasy with exploring and talking etc, but the incidental townsfolk dialogue has really sucked in the last few games anyway so I don't mind losing it.

ceells87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ceells87
Member since 2007 • 386 Posts

I was very surprised with 13. I have played almost 30 hours into it now and love it. The combat is deeply satisfying and keeps me on my toes at all times and having ai actually wreck shop is so awesome. as for not having towns and people to talk to alot, i was worried about that at first too but after playing it a while you'll see why the characters wouldn't even be able to just walk around a town on cocoon and just talk to people. So I understand why they made it the way it is. Having the shops available at each save point also makes it really helpful for restocking and not having to travel somewhere

sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

I'm really enjoying it so far, the combat is very strategic and smooth once you get used to it, from reading a bit ahead in the strategy guide it's looking like it might get even more convoluted, but I will get used to it as I go.

About 8 hours in btw.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

I know right? Its like do people really have that much time on their hands to talk to people go exploring saying hi to random people and stuff lol I like the linearity in my opinion.TrapMuzik92

Its all about how you want to spent your time, not how much time you have.

I like to take in the game and not rush through it. Does it take longer? Sure. But thats not a complaint since I'm having fun doing it. I'm not driven forward in games because I desire to 'beat the game'. I dont care about that. I just want to have fun.

And exploration *is* fun.

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 magitekk
Member since 2009 • 3959 Posts

I like it a lot. I'm maybe 8 hours in or more, I'm trying to beat Odin, it's fun :) I get lost sometimes, even if it may seem like a one-way road most of the time. Enemies seem to respawn if you leave an area for a while and come back, which I didn't know, but I'm actually glad about because it gives me the opportunity to get more of those crystal points. Did I mention it's fun?

violian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 violian
Member since 2004 • 1431 Posts

I really REALLY miss the open-world exploring in Final Fantasy's - like FF7 and FF8. It's just so much more fun being able to explore the world - it makes me feel like I'm actually a part of the Final Fantasy world cuz I can go and explore whatever I want. This is what got me into the Final Fantasy games. I don't think game-size is an issue in terms of open-world exploring, because look at Assasin's Creed - the world is VAST, graphics looks amazing, and it's all in ONE disc! And if disc-size was the issue for SquareEnix (in terms of the Xbox360 atleast), I'll take open-world exploring over CG-cutscenes anyday! I'm playing FF13 at the moment, and I feel like I'm exploring the world by walking through a hallway.

TrapMuzik92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TrapMuzik92

I really REALLY miss the open-world exploring in Final Fantasy's - like FF7 and FF8. It's just so much more fun being able to explore the world - it makes me feel like I'm actually a part of the Final Fantasy world cuz I can go and explore whatever I want. This is what got me into the Final Fantasy games. I don't think game-size is an issue in terms of open-world exploring, because look at Assasin's Creed - the world is VAST, graphics looks amazing, and it's all in ONE disc! And if disc-size was the issue for SquareEnix (in terms of the Xbox360 atleast), I'll take open-world exploring over CG-cutscenes anyday! I'm playing FF13 at the moment, and I feel like I'm exploring the world by walking through a hallway.

violian
lol and walking right past enemies to avoid combat