New to Xbox One - First Impressions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

I'll start by saying i'm mainly a Nintendo/Sony gamer, and got a Xbox 360 a shot in 2014, only to have a really poor experience. My first thoughts of the 360 was a sloppy interface, controller charging issues, and i couldn't use the money i put into the xbox live account. Needless to say, i kept the system less than 2 months.

Fast forward to 2016, with Xbox One putting out some good games, after a little bit of a slow start. They were offering some real good deals on the initial Xbox one, so i bit... full knowing another model was getting announced right around the corner. The backwards compatibility really brought me in. I like the idea of a cheap 360 library, along with a nice xbox one exclusive library thus far. I love the bundle i got with 5 games, and an extra controller.

So far... I like the system quite a bit compared to my 360 experience. Cleaner interface, everything works like it should, and i had games waiting for me, that i previously bought years ago. Much easier to navigate and work for way around. Controller is a good design. I feel like the battery package and recharging capability should be included, but a pretty minor complaint. Solid exclusives released thus far, and more to come. Excited for E3. All in all, I'm satisfied with the system, and not sure why a lot of hate towards the system (other than the initial struggles, with copyrighting/etc) .

Any Xbox recommendations, or newbie tricks would be appreciated. Looking forward to discussing some great xbox games.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@The-Butcher248 said:

I'll start by saying i'm mainly a Nintendo/Sony gamer, and got a Xbox 360 a shot in 2014, only to have a really poor experience. My first thoughts of the 360 was a sloppy interface, controller charging issues, and i couldn't use the money i put into the xbox live account. Needless to say, i kept the system less than 2 months.

Fast forward to 2016, with Xbox One putting out some good games, after a little bit of a slow start. They were offering some real good deals on the initial Xbox one, so i bit... full knowing another model was getting announced right around the corner. The backwards compatibility really brought me in. I like the idea of a cheap 360 library, along with a nice xbox one exclusive library thus far. I love the bundle i got with 5 games, and an extra controller.

So far... I like the system quite a bit compared to my 360 experience. Cleaner interface, everything works like it should, and i had games waiting for me, that i previously bought years ago. Much easier to navigate and work for way around. Controller is a good design. I feel like the battery package and recharging capability should be included, but a pretty minor complaint. Solid exclusives released thus far, and more to come. Excited for E3. All in all, I'm satisfied with the system, and not sure why a lot of hate towards the system (other than the initial struggles, with copyrighting/etc) .

Any Xbox recommendations, or newbie tricks would be appreciated. Looking forward to discussing some great xbox games.

Welcome back to Xbox :) Glad to see you're enjoying the console... contrary to what the general perception is, and as you now know, it is a pretty decent system with some awesome games.

I disagree about a rechargeable battery pack being included in the controller however... look at how horrible the DS4's battery solution is. Plus they only get worse as the batteries get older. I much prefer the XB way of doing it, where I can use my own battery solution (I use rechargeable Panasonic Eneloop batteries that last days before needing a charge, compared to a few hours for DS4!).

One recommendation I have, especially if you plan to buy a lot of digital games, is to have an external HD handy to either use as your main drive (which you can do with XB1 - I use a 1TB 7200rpm drive), or at least as a way to back-up all your games separately so you don't have to re-download them all again if something goes wrong :)

As for game recommendations, where do I begin? Lol. There's heaps.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The-Butcher248

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Welcome back to Xbox :) Glad to see you're enjoying the console... contrary to what the general perception is, and as you now know, it is a pretty decent system with some awesome games.

I disagree about a rechargeable battery pack being included in the controller however... look at how horrible the DS4's battery solution is. Plus they only get worse as the batteries get older. I much prefer the XB way of doing it, where I can use my own battery solution (I use rechargeable Panasonic Eneloop batteries that last days before needing a charge, compared to a few hours for DS4!).

One recommendation I have, especially if you plan to buy a lot of digital games, is to have an external HD handy to either use as your main drive (which you can do with XB1 - I use a 1TB 7200rpm drive), or at least as a way to back-up all your games separately so you don't have to re-download them all again if something goes wrong :)

As for game recommendations, where do I begin? Lol. There's heaps.

Thanks. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to the battery system. I can see where each has their pro's and con's. I have 4-5 Dual Shock 3's with no issues... but it's very noticeable that the DS4 battery life is about 25% of the DS3... So potentially yes the DS4 may not last as long. I do have some of those Eneloop batteries... so i'll have to start doing that. That probably makes more sense than the plug and play for me. I just have to get used to that battery setup.

I did get the 1TB hard drive.. but i'd imagine the hard drive will fill up fast.

Thanks for the tips!

panda30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By panda30
Member since 2016 • 941 Posts

I personaly enjoy it my only complain its (marketplace / store) but thats gone be updated soon

super Hype on xbox E3 diying to see recore / sea of thieves

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

I regret getting the XB1 at launch, the first 12 months was terrible and had 2 controllers replaced because of stick drifting (never had that issue on the 360) and my Kinect lasted just 6 months so had to send that to be replaced (it just died). Luckily since then, things have been improving and adding BC is great since I can move some of the free games we get on the 360 over to my XB1 which I got a 4TB external for.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

Welcome to the club! I've only owned my Xbox One a year but I've already accumulated quite a decent games library from it. In terms or recommendations I'll tell you the best games I played so far and what kind of game they are:

Sunset Overdrive - if you like open world zombie/mutant slaying with crazy weapons and a skating element added to it then definitely go for it (it was a free games with Gold last month)
Metro Redux - 2 360 games remastered for the Xbox One Metro 2033 and Metro:Last Light - survival horror games with bleak settings and different ways of playing
Titanfall - MMOFPS with giant robots and super soldiers. Great fun and you can pick it up dirt cheap. No single player though.

Halo 5 - Campaign is so/so but the multiplayer is amazing. I would recommend playing through the first 4 Halo games through Halo Master Chief Collection first if you haven't played any of the Halo games yet.

Hope you enjoy the system :)

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#7 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@The-Butcher248: You should check out Titanfall+DLC'c.Loads of fun.

Also take a look at Dead Rising 3.Hopefully Turn 10 will announce Forza Horizon 3 at E3. Halo:MCC is another gem worth looking at.State of Decay is a great Xbox exclusive you should also take a look.

Welcome to the Xbox One family.Good Luck Sir. :)

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@brimmul777: good suggestions

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The-Butcher248

Thanks for the game suggestions.... Sunset Overdrive is one of the reason i wanted to pick up an Xbox (along with quantum break). That Halo Collection looks pretty sweet, i'm sure i'll pick that up. Titanfall looks pretty epic too... wish it had a single player though.

I'll have to look more into Metro, Deadrising, and State of Decay. I wouldn't say zombie games are my cup o' tea... but if there's good action i typically enjoy them. For example, i liked Last of Us, and the later / more actiony resident evils... however i didn't like The Evil within.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Halo MCC is great, all the Halos ( with the excetption of Reach ) in one package and you can add ODST for a few dollars ( not like The Nathan Drake Collection, a remasturd without MP ). Bunch of maps and modes in the MP, unfortunately since it went through many problem at the beginning the MP is quite lonely, it can take for a while before you can find a match not because it takes too much time to find the match, it´s because it takes a lot of time to find the players, there aren´t many there.

Titanfall is fun, or at least it is for me, yeah, it´s like 1/16 th of an inch deep and pretty much is all about shooting as many as you can but it´s entertaining enough to play a 30 min quickie and leave it for something else.

X1 has had many really good sales lately, I grabbed Battlefront for about 1/3 rd of it´s retail price, like Titanfall, it´s really shallow but this one has single player and co-op, not campaign but missions.