My son has an xbl account...

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Salty_Spatoon_2
Salty_Spatoon_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Salty_Spatoon_2
Member since 2008 • 74 Posts

and he is 13 years old. My question is, will he be able to download m rated stuff off of the market place? Also, can he play M rated games? Just so you know, his account is set the age 13. Thanks!

ciaxhieu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ciaxhieu
Member since 2005 • 19014 Posts
if his account is set to 13 than there is nothing to worry about, orrr you can set parental control for him hehe
DeathStar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 DeathStar17
Member since 2005 • 4858 Posts
I don't believe so, but just go to the parental controls and change the settings to your liking.
Salty_Spatoon_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Salty_Spatoon_2
ok... awesome. One more question though. He wants to get gears of war 2, and I think I'm going to let him, but will his account allow him to play it? I heard somewhere where the company was going to stop under 18 accounts from playing.
darthsnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darthsnail
Member since 2008 • 152 Posts

Yeh u can change this kinda stuff, restrict what he can download, block certain things completely from parental control in the system blade I think.

However, I'm a 14 year old english boy and I have no parental control settings whatever, and im play ad download whatever I want, and Im not swearing out the window at the postman, im fine, so your son probably will be okay without these settings. your choice though.

Salty_Spatoon_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Salty_Spatoon_2
Yea, we have a deal with him. Everytime he does well on a big test, we let him get an M game he wants, as long as it isn't GTA 4.
darthsnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darthsnail
My advice would be to allow him to play whatever he wants for about a week, and is he stays normal and everything is okay, let him continue. If he starts being naughty or whatever, then just set the parental control settings.
karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 karriston
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts
Well, kudos for being a responsible parent. As for your question regarding Gears of War 2, he should be able to play it unless you enable the parental controls so that he can't play it. You might be interested to know that there's an option to tone down the violence / swearing in Gears of War 2.
Salty_Spatoon_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Salty_Spatoon_2
yea, ill think about it. Thanks for the advice though.
Bulova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bulova
Member since 2003 • 1237 Posts

ok... awesome. One more question though. He wants to get gears of war 2, and I think I'm going to let him, but will his account allow him to play it? I heard somewhere where the company was going to stop under 18 accounts from playing.Salty_Spatoon_2

You should be able to set it so that he can play.

The awesome thing about Gears of war 2 is that it's got the content filter built into the game too. I don't have kids old enough to play it, but I have a 9 month old son...so if I want to play GOW 2 when hes around I can just turn the filter on...goodbye blood and foul language.

69ANT69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 69ANT69
Member since 2007 • 8472 Posts
Just go to parental control and play around with the settings.
patrickhorta87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 patrickhorta87
Member since 2008 • 212 Posts

and he is 13 years old. My question is, will he be able to download m rated stuff off of the market place? Also, can he play M rated games? Just so you know, his account is set the age 13. Thanks!

Salty_Spatoon_2

oh I wouldnt worry about the m rated games.those should be fine. wait until he puts that headset on and learns a whole new vocabulary of dirty words and racial slurs.I hope your getting ready to take away the headset.If you decide not to,in a month or two please dont B*tch that your kid is learning all these dirty words.Because that seems to be a parents crutch when they let there kids do certain things. they blame it on the industry when its the parents lack of supervision.thres a youtube video going around that fox news did on xbox360 and live. most of the parents are the ones that paid for the account but wanted to blame microsoft when there kids were cussing at eachother.but then one of microsoft's head honcho's asked if they knew about parental controls and they all said no. So that guy put them on the spot and said your to blame.

darthsnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darthsnail

^^^

Roflcopter I completey agree lol. i forgot mention that.

DeathHeart95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 DeathHeart95
Member since 2008 • 2541 Posts
Yeah, I'd worry more about the people online, even in T rated games, than Gears of War
tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts

[QUOTE="Salty_Spatoon_2"]ok... awesome. One more question though. He wants to get gears of war 2, and I think I'm going to let him, but will his account allow him to play it? I heard somewhere where the company was going to stop under 18 accounts from playing.Bulova

The awesome thing about Gears of war 2 is that it's got the content filter built into the game too. I don't have kids old enough to play it, but I have a 9 month old son...so if I want to play GOW 2 when hes around I can just turn the filter on...goodbye blood and foul language.

ummmm....but you'll still be killing and cutting people in half, right? what's the difference?
grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 grayoldwolf
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

You won't let your son play GTA4 but you will let him play Gears 2? I don't quite see the logic there, but at least you're involved unlike most parents. Gears (which I am a huge fan of) is to date one of the most graphically violent games ever, and I'm sure Gears 2 will ratchet it up a notch. Personally, I wouldn't want my kids to see people being chainsawed in half, or learning proper curbstomping technique.

I have heard that Gears 2 will have a "teen-friendly" mode that turns off the gore and disables the worst of the language - I think that it might be a good idea to let him play, but with that mode engaged.

McNulty5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 McNulty5
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts
Err you don't see the difference between GTA IV and GoW? GTA IV isn't just violent, it has quite foul language, you play as a criminal, the motivator of the main character is money and revenege, many of the NPCs ask you to go get drunk with them or go to a strip club, I'm sorry but I'd rather have my kid think he's being a hero guy slaying the locust horde than him jacking cars and thinking being a mobster is cool.
xXmeatwad225Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xXmeatwad225Xx
Member since 2006 • 1553 Posts

Man, I'm sorta torn... I love to see parents taking control of there kids and setting some ground rules, But on the other hand i saw Die Hard for the first time with my mom when i was 5 and have been playing the GTA games since i was 7 so i cant stand to think what my childhood would have been like if i couldn't that stuff (With parental supervision...Most of the time) but I think you are doing the right thing by taking control of your child's life, He might hate you now but he'll thank you later.

ps. If grounding your child doesn't work, Try hitting them. That's what my parents did to me and i never disobeyed them. Plus i look at my friends in high school and most of them are spoiled little brats who's parents bought them cars and are paying there insurance and cell phone bill and for there gas. I have been paying for all those things since i was 14!!!!

Kids today, ugh.

BIGJosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 BIGJosher
Member since 2007 • 1562 Posts

[QUOTE="Salty_Spatoon_2"]ok... awesome. One more question though. He wants to get gears of war 2, and I think I'm going to let him, but will his account allow him to play it? I heard somewhere where the company was going to stop under 18 accounts from playing.Bulova

You have an awesome picture!!!

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
well it seems everything been covered already but I'd like to add one more thing, if you enable Gears 2 to be played and control the M rated content on that with the filter, I don't know if the filter will apply to future DLC (granted of course if there is even going to be DLC in the future). So yeah maybe the next map pack will be really gruesome or something, so umm... yeah just saying to keep an eye out on DLC as well as the retail game content :D
DaKidLiLJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaKidLiLJ
Member since 2007 • 842 Posts
I just wanted to say, good job at being a great parent...this world needs more responsible parents as yourself man. And since everything is already answered I have no more to say
Moh_fan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Moh_fan123
Member since 2007 • 181 Posts
watch out I have an e-mail thats set to 13 and it doesnt allow me to download anything over teen (M:P) and it gets really annoying, oh and yes i changed the parental controls to allowing me to download anything of any rating.:?
Syrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Syrenz
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts
You can adjust settings, oh and please keep him away from Halo 3. Thanks.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts
[QUOTE="Bulova"]

[QUOTE="Salty_Spatoon_2"]ok... awesome. One more question though. He wants to get gears of war 2, and I think I'm going to let him, but will his account allow him to play it? I heard somewhere where the company was going to stop under 18 accounts from playing.tgschmidt

ummmm....but you'll still be killing and cutting people in half, right? what's the difference?

The sad part is tha foul language and blood has a larger impact on the rating of games than you may think... I understand the game will still be M even with the filter and what not, but i am just saying...

One thing though is that when someone sees blood splatter from a chainsaw they will probably go "eww" or "Awesome!, but without blood then it might be a less "extreme" reaction. That less "extreme" reaction could mean that it didn't effect the person as much. Or it means that they are totally messed up in the head and have no emotions or reactions....

Just saying that foul language (to younger people) can be a "cool" thing and removing that may make them not get into the game as much and then they would try to "replicate the game" and try to be cool. And it is the same with the blood. They may say " oh that is awesome and now we should see if it is like that in real life". 99.9999999% of the time that won't happen and if the people do kill someone to see if it happens then most likely they were bound to kill someone anyway.

Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

Sure.

It's definately not your Xbox Live Account is it.

DoMiNiC147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 DoMiNiC147
Member since 2008 • 984 Posts
See if parent were more like that dude then there wouldn't be so much media harassment on video games
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Err you don't see the difference between GTA IV and GoW? GTA IV isn't just violent, it has quite foul language, you play as a criminal, the motivator of the main character is money and revenege, many of the NPCs ask you to go get drunk with them or go to a strip club, I'm sorry but I'd rather have my kid think he's being a hero guy slaying the locust horde than him jacking cars and thinking being a mobster is cool.McNulty5

Exactly. Some of the things in GTA IV can be portrayed in real life. I dont think you can dress up in a COG suit and chainsaw locusts anytime soon. GTA IV can be reality. GOW will always be fantasy. Big difference.

Avatar image for sharpshooter188
sharpshooter188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 sharpshooter188
Member since 2003 • 4368 Posts
meh i dont believe in censorship. I think your son will turn out fine regardless of what he plays.l If anything he might go on a swearing spree but he probably learns that from his friends at school. Most kids do about that age.
CharlyMurphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CharlyMurphy
Member since 2007 • 461 Posts
I dont care if kids play or not. my 10 year old cousin has M rated games and hes not a cursing wanna be crypt member. he knows the difference between right and wrong and whats real and not real. More cussing shouldnt really be a problem unless u get GTA Or Gears.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

what ever u do dont let him play halo, gears or CoD 4; please save us from the horror that is children on XBL

KingTheodon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KingTheodon
Member since 2006 • 174 Posts
Dude sure, it'll be fine, but just please... do us all a favor and take away his mic, I don't mind playing with kids, it's just kids who have mics and complain and whine everytime they die, and the kids who trash talk and act like their all cool and sh*t... No offense intended dude. Cheers
b3njaqu3s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 b3njaqu3s
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts
Yes, take away the mic. I'm fourteen and turning 15 next month. I've learned not to use the mic at all. I think mics should be disabled for ranked matches. make the world a better place.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chaoscougar1

Yes, take away the mic. I'm fourteen and turning 15 next month. I've learned not to use the mic at all. I think mics should be disabled for ranked matches. make the world a better place.b3njaqu3s

no, mics for children should be disabled, i like to have a conversation while playing

grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 grayoldwolf

Err you don't see the difference between GTA IV and GoW? GTA IV isn't just violent, it has quite foul language, you play as a criminal, the motivator of the main character is money and revenege, many of the NPCs ask you to go get drunk with them or go to a strip club, I'm sorry but I'd rather have my kid think he's being a hero guy slaying the locust horde than him jacking cars and thinking being a mobster is cool.McNulty5

Of course I see the difference. I'm just saying that I wouldn't want my 13 year old kid playing either game. If I had to pick one game to not let my kid play, it would be GTA. But parents don't have to pick one inappropriate game, they can pick as many as they want.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="McNulty5"]Err you don't see the difference between GTA IV and GoW? GTA IV isn't just violent, it has quite foul language, you play as a criminal, the motivator of the main character is money and revenege, many of the NPCs ask you to go get drunk with them or go to a strip club, I'm sorry but I'd rather have my kid think he's being a hero guy slaying the locust horde than him jacking cars and thinking being a mobster is cool.grayoldwolf

Of course I see the difference. I'm just saying that I wouldn't want my 13 year old kid playing either game. If I had to pick one game to not let my kid play, it would be GTA. But parents don't have to pick one inappropriate game, they can pick as many as they want.

really? i definately pick Gears, i mean i think GTA is just as violent, maybe even more so because its directly on humans and bystanders alike, and the things Niko undertakes (strippers, drugs, psyhical violence against other humans) has a much lasrger impact than killing aliens, even if it is a little more gory

DeadlyZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DeadlyZodiac
Member since 2007 • 1367 Posts
Your best parenting move is probably to let him play just about anything he wants, but don't let him use a headset online. I don't know if there's a way to disable hearing other players speak in parental controls but if there is, use it.
DeadlyZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DeadlyZodiac
Member since 2007 • 1367 Posts
[QUOTE="grayoldwolf"]

[QUOTE="McNulty5"]Err you don't see the difference between GTA IV and GoW? GTA IV isn't just violent, it has quite foul language, you play as a criminal, the motivator of the main character is money and revenege, many of the NPCs ask you to go get drunk with them or go to a strip club, I'm sorry but I'd rather have my kid think he's being a hero guy slaying the locust horde than him jacking cars and thinking being a mobster is cool.chaoscougar1

really? i definately pick Gears, i mean i think GTA is just as violent, maybe even more so because its directly on humans and bystanders alike, and the things Niko undertakes (strippers, drugs, psyhical violence against other humans) has a much lasrger impact than killing aliens, even if it is a little more gory

I'd have to agree with picking Gears over GTA. Gears is more gorey but GTA is a lot closer to reality than Gears is. Though it all depends on the person, 13 years is probably old enough to deal with stuff like that.

I've watched R movies and played just about any game I wanted since I was 5-6(25 now; older brother to thank for that) and it hasn't affected me negatively in any way I'm aware of. And I actually like excessive violence and profanity less now then I did then. Definitely less than the average person seems to these days.

But then, it all depends on the individual.

SkaterOrHater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 SkaterOrHater
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts
[QUOTE="xXmeatwad225Xx"]

"Man, I'm sorta torn... I love to see parents taking control of there kids and setting some ground rules, But on the other hand i saw Die Hard for the first time with my mom when i was 5 and have been playing the GTA games since i was 7 so i cant stand to think what my childhood would have been like if i couldn't that stuff (With parental supervision...Most of the time) but I think you are doing the right thing by taking control of your child's life, He might hate you now but he'll thank you later. "

? thank you later? you talk to your mom to much cuz thats sumthing that my mom would say. also btw your just jelous of "kids today" , so if there spoiled. thats not a bad thing. being spoiled gets you more stuff. kids today talking about kids today..ugh its sickning. o.o

Delro333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 Delro333
Member since 2007 • 594 Posts
M rated games are like the bible compared to when your son boots up an online game, throws on that headset, and hears how brutal and stupid gamers can be online.
SkaterOrHater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 SkaterOrHater
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts
no headset? seriously people, a headset is the best part. live is a waist of money without a headset, friends on live, and talking crap. thats liek torture on live. seriously. all you have to do is mute the "bad" people.
Syrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Syrenz
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts
Yes but when you are playing a game like Halo it's kind of hard to mute all 10 thirteen year-olds.
grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 grayoldwolf
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="grayoldwolf"]

[QUOTE="McNulty5"]Err you don't see the difference between GTA IV and GoW? GTA IV isn't just violent, it has quite foul language, you play as a criminal, the motivator of the main character is money and revenege, many of the NPCs ask you to go get drunk with them or go to a strip club, I'm sorry but I'd rather have my kid think he's being a hero guy slaying the locust horde than him jacking cars and thinking being a mobster is cool.DeadlyZodiac

I'd have to agree with picking Gears over GTA. Gears is more gorey but GTA is a lot closer to reality than Gears is. Though it all depends on the person, 13 years is probably old enough to deal with stuff like that.

I've watched R movies and played just about any game I wanted since I was 5-6(25 now; older brother to thank for that) and it hasn't affected me negatively in any way I'm aware of. And I actually like excessive violence and profanity less now then I did then. Definitely less than the average person seems to these days.

Guys, I said if I had to pick one game to NOT let my kid play it would be GTA, for precisely the reasons you've stated. We're all saying the same thing. GTA is just too close to reality to let kids play.

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#43 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts

Yea, we have a deal with him. Everytime he does well on a big test, we let him get an M game he wants, as long as it isn't GTA 4.Salty_Spatoon_2

GTAIV is less violent im my opinion compared to gears 2 i mean come on you can chainsaw people in half in gears now thats violence but i love it lol

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TX360
[QUOTE="DeadlyZodiac"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="grayoldwolf"]

[QUOTE="McNulty5"]Err you don't see the difference between GTA IV and GoW? GTA IV isn't just violent, it has quite foul language, you play as a criminal, the motivator of the main character is money and revenege, many of the NPCs ask you to go get drunk with them or go to a strip club, I'm sorry but I'd rather have my kid think he's being a hero guy slaying the locust horde than him jacking cars and thinking being a mobster is cool.grayoldwolf

Guys, I said if I had to pick one game to NOT let my kid play it would be GTA, for precisely the reasons you've stated. We're all saying the same thing. GTA is just too close to reality to let kids play.

i was 11 when i played GTA and my mum is protective lol and i just dont think its violent at all i just think gta is a lot fun i think you should let him play but its your son so choose wisely.

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TX360
[QUOTE="Salty_Spatoon_2"]

patrickhorta87

oh I wouldnt worry about the m rated games.those should be fine. wait until he puts that headset on and learns a whole new vocabulary of dirty words and racial slurs.I hope your getting ready to take away the headset.If you decide not to,in a month or two please dont B*tch that your kid is learning all these dirty words.Because that seems to be a parents crutch when they let there kids do certain things. they blame it on the industry when its the parents lack of supervision.thres a youtube video going around that fox news did on xbox360 and live. most of the parents are the ones that paid for the account but wanted to blame microsoft when there kids were cussing at eachother.but then one of microsoft's head honcho's asked if they knew about parental controls and they all said no. So that guy put them on the spot and said your to blame.

Completely agree and the language you hear on gears is worse than playing GTA i just dont get why some parents dont buy gta for their 12-13 year old i loved gta when i was young but did it turn me into a killer NO so as long as your son is mature give him the game he likes.

Manni25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Manni25
Member since 2007 • 194 Posts

I don't believe so, but just go to the parental controls and change the settings to your liking.DeathStar17

That sounds about right ^^

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
yes good job not letting your kid play gta 4
hak145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hak145
Member since 2008 • 133 Posts
Listen its really the people online with the headset you should owrry about cursing and everything like that is 10 time worse then gore guts and blood. Its alot worse becasue its realistic and curseing and profanity grows on kids like a plague really if your kids hear any profanity eventually they will start cursing and saying dirty stuff because they dont see any harm in it and if everyone is doing it theyll do it. Its alot easier to talk words then it is to chainsaw somone in half. Its really online and social experience that developes a kids attitude towards anyone, not actual physical violence in media.
BaconB1ts123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BaconB1ts123
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

ok... awesome. One more question though. He wants to get gears of war 2, and I think I'm going to let him, but will his account allow him to play it? I heard somewhere where the company was going to stop under 18 accounts from playing.Salty_Spatoon_2

I don't get it - You don't want him to play mature games but you do want to let him play gears 2 which has sawing people in half and exploding heads. What DON'T you want him to play?? Not that I think violent video games are bad, my son has played halo3 with me since he was 3.

BaconB1ts123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BaconB1ts123
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

Listen its really the people online with the headset you should owrry about cursing and everything like that is 10 time worse then gore guts and blood. Its alot worse becasue its realistic and curseing and profanity grows on kids like a plague really if your kids hear any profanity eventually they will start cursing and saying dirty stuff because they dont see any harm in it and if everyone is doing it theyll do it. Its alot easier to talk words then it is to chainsaw somone in half. Its really online and social experience that developes a kids attitude towards anyone, not actual physical violence in media.hak145

I totally agrea. It is the language and things said on Live that bothers me the most.