My College Dilema

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaBears45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 DaBears45
Member since 2003 • 162 Posts

I am going to be going to college in a little over a month, and while I can't wait to go, I'm curious as to the amount of free time you will have. I want to have a social life, good grades, but I consider myself a somewhat hardcore gamer. Does anyone currently in college have any advice on the amount of time you play and study? Should I not even bring my 360 to ensure that I will get good grades?

cybermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 cybermario
Member since 2004 • 465 Posts

I think it depends on how hard your classes are and how many classes you have.

cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 cloudstrife75
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts

Im a Police and Public Safety student at Algonquin College in Ottawa and i find that as long as you manage your time around school and not gaming then you will have time to do everything you want to.

Time management is key!

Avatar image for aSOUNDofREVENGE
aSOUNDofREVENGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 aSOUNDofREVENGE
Member since 2005 • 895 Posts
if you aren't forced to have a job or you don't want one then you'll have plenty of time. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Don't get me wrong if you stay up late at night playing games all the time you probably won't be going ot your early classes if you have any. College is the perfect time to have fun, and if you enjoy video games then don't give them up, I'm just curious where are you going to school at and what do you plan on studying?
rdeemed23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rdeemed23
Member since 2003 • 411 Posts
Well it depends on your major and your goals as a college student. if you a premed student like me who needs good grades to succedd (3.5 and above), then forget about gaming.....but if your mayb an accounting or finance major who can get by with a 2.9 or lower, then you'll have all the time in college to play Videogame and F**k College H*es. :)
bob5048

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bob5048
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Dont sweat it man. I am in college and have a biomedical science major (premed type classes) and have plenty of time to play games, hang out with friends, go to the bar etc. As long as you know how and when it is time to study you will have no problems. Just dont put games as a top priority and play them in your spare time and you will probably find that you are getting your gaming fill. I also have friends in school with 360's who play all the time and their grades dont suffer. good luck in school.
Avatar image for Light_Destroyer
Light_Destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Light_Destroyer
Member since 2004 • 2013 Posts
Im going to be a Computer Science: Software Engineering major, so will I be able to play any games, and should I take my Xbox to a dorm or not?
Mwright68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mwright68
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts
take it...i took 20 credit hours...last semester..towards my masters st Syracuse University....i still found times when i was bored with not much to do....and thank god i had a 360...your room mates and floor mates will thank you too...might make some money from whoopy people at madden or NCAASubmit
Mwright68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mwright68
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

hes? what are ya ghey?

Well it depends on your major and your goals as a college student. if you a premed student like me who needs good grades to succedd (3.5 and above), then forget about gaming.....but if your mayb an accounting or finance major who can get by with a 2.9 or lower, then you'll have all the time in college to play Videogame and F**k College H*es. :)rdeemed23

KarateChop250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KarateChop250
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Currently Im entering my senior year. I am a math and physics double major and have a 3.91 GPA. To be honest I only get to play on xbox live about once or twice a week only a hour or two at a time. I have a 360 and a DS. It does depend my friend his a business major and anytime I go down to his room hes always playing games. I am taking on average 19 hours a semester and hes taking 12 hours a semester. He has to stay five years however and I dont. Its all up to your choices and how much work your major requires.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts

hes? what are ya ghey?

[QUOTE="rdeemed23"]Well it depends on your major and your goals as a college student. if you a premed student like me who needs good grades to succedd (3.5 and above), then forget about gaming.....but if your mayb an accounting or finance major who can get by with a 2.9 or lower, then you'll have all the time in college to play Videogame and F**k College H*es. :)Mwright68

screwing girls is gay what country are U from

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 coakroach
Member since 2005 • 1356 Posts

pygmahia5

Best

Ever

Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts

Well it depends on your major and your goals as a college student. if you a premed student like me who needs good grades to succedd (3.5 and above), then forget about gaming.....but if your mayb an accounting or finance major who can get by with a 2.9 or lower, then you'll have all the time in college to play Videogame and F**k College H*es. :)rdeemed23

Good advice pimpin.

JeremyMGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JeremyMGS
Member since 2002 • 3522 Posts
I am in my last year of college and I was in your shoes at this point three years ago. I can tell you this, time management is key. I will be able to graduate in four years with 150 credits to allow me to sit for the CPA exam once I graduate. I was able to accomplish two majors; accounting and finance and a minor in psychology. I currently have a 3.2 GPA not bad but could have been better if I hadn't been as involved or choose a state school rather than a small private liberal university. I also had a job on campus and was involved in intramural sports and took part in a couple clubs. Yet, I was still able to game all through-out college! Many nights last year where spent playing GOW during my hardest year!
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

Study first and then game to your heart's content. It rarely if ever works to play first. All that matters is that you get your stuff done when it's assigned and you'll find you have tons of free time down the road.

Just finished my second year in Finance (3.6 GPA btw... and sure to go higher this year)... but I did have some issues with time management... it can be challenging.

Here's one key tip, though. NEVER play a MMORPG during college unless you're the king of self-control... else your grades will suffer.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
[QUOTE="pygmahia5"]

coakroach

Best

Ever

haha thanks!

drwdan19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 drwdan19
Member since 2004 • 274 Posts
I go to school 2 days a week with 5 classes each day. I work 4 days a week and have one day off to do whatever the hell I want. I devote my day off to be MY day to play games, hang with friends, or both. Usually study during work days so the material will stay fresh when I go back to school.
Avatar image for cookoo4cocopuff
cookoo4cocopuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 cookoo4cocopuff
Member since 2005 • 793 Posts
im glad im still at 15 and i can play video game all the time. but anyhow that really sucks man, take your 360 with you and play WHENEVER you can! lol
DaBears45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaBears45
Member since 2003 • 162 Posts
A little update here. Well, in a mere 8 days before I am heading off for college, my parents tell me that I can't bring my 360 to college. I have to get good grades my 1st semester to be able to bring it the 2nd semester. Unfortunately, my roommate only has a PS2, so it looks like I am SOL for the biggest 4 months in gaming history. It's complete BS if you ask me. I usually agree with what my parents do, but I see this as a load of crap. They are OK with me going down to UT to watch the game between them and TCU, but they don't trust me enough that I will do my school work and socialize b/c of the videogames. Any advice on what I should do?
Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts

I agree with your parents, is it really worth getting bad grades just so you can play on games?

HELL YEAH!

no but seriously...

rstoewe2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rstoewe2001
Member since 2003 • 1177 Posts

No one noticed the irony of asking a question about splitting time between games and classes on a thread with one of the biggest spelling mistakes ever in the title?

Irony gets me through my days....

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts

it just depends on who you are. If you're geared more towards your future and what you want to do then you'll spend more time earning those grades. For those who are in the field of entertainment, it's a little hard to stay away from games. I myself am in the field and usually only get to play games about a few times a week and about an hour at a time. Every other free time goes to spending time with friends.

blue_tape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blue_tape
Member since 2007 • 2868 Posts
I played video games as a reward for doing work in college. Silly, but it worked for me. However, video games were such a very slight part of my college experience. Get out and meet people, that's what college is about. Even when I played video games, I hooked up my PS2 to a television in a lounge/public area. College was a few years ago for me, so people would walk by and ask what I was playing. "I'm playing Manhunt. So I have a machete, right, and I'm gonna sneak up on this guy..." When the tours would invariably come through, their horrified expressions were special moments I will always treasure.
anths1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 anths1987
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts
I am going to be a junior in which i am a meterology major, minor in mathematics. Back in Jan. 07, i purchased a 360 and gears of war just becasue i got soo bored. I mean, everyone has their own decision as they want to do with their free time. Whether it is drinking, partying, or working to a critical point (which i do myself sometimes). Anyway, for as difficlut as it wasfor me last year, istill had plenty of time on myhands to play video games. I mean, i was playing Obilivion until 4 amin some situations just becasue itso addiciting!The hard part is to control yourgaming wants, GET YOUR WORK DONE FIRST, and then you can have "playtime".
Ellipson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ellipson
Member since 2006 • 342 Posts

So you're going to college but your parents still have any sort of say over what you bring? They're footing the bill, aren't they? If they aren't, why are you listening to them?

lewisg1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lewisg1212
Member since 2005 • 1698 Posts
when i was doing my exams, 6 months up too it i didnt re-subscribe to live. kept me off. 
hansmacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hansmacher
Member since 2003 • 900 Posts
it really depends on you... i go to school full time work 30 hours a week and have some time for gaming.... some people have to study more than others
best-gam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 best-gam3r
Member since 2005 • 4553 Posts
wow I'm going to college in about two weeks, and I just bought a 360 2 days ago. Now I'm starting to feel like I should return it . . . . And I was just about to be on my way to buy an ethernet cable for live. . . . :( this is depressing :cry:
snackdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 snackdaddy
Member since 2006 • 2122 Posts

Study first and then game to your heart's content. It rarely if ever works to play first. All that matters is that you get your stuff done when it's assigned and you'll find you have tons of free time down the road.

Staryoshi87

Very Very good advise...Monumental actually. Follow this and everything else will be a breeze.

Oh! Also realize that GPA wise the first year (sometimesthe second, depending on hours) can make or break you. I was a fifth year senior andmy grades good or bad hardly effected my over all GPA. When you have over 140 hours the GPA fomula is diluted pretty well. Study first, play second.

Speedrcer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Speedrcer05
Member since 2005 • 62 Posts
It never hurts to make an excel spreadsheet outlining your schedule hour by hour, day by day.
It makes it a lot easier to see where you have time your schedule where you can just kick back.
I made one last night for my schedule this coming quarter, and even though I won't have as much time as last quarter to play games, i can still get a good hour or too in even with 2 Chem courses, 1 Physics course, 1 Calculus course, a 3hr Chem Lab, and a 2hr Physics lab each week (Chemical Engineering Major....)
It is possible to do well in school and still have fun; I've been on the Dean's List since freshman year, and fun hasn't been a problem.
Spending too much time playing games will hurt your future in the workforce, so manage your time well and it will be fine.
jay_k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 jay_k3
Member since 2006 • 477 Posts
I'm in grad school and I still make the time to play. When I was in undergrad, I played all the time. Statistically college students will play an average of 10,000 hours of video games during their college career. You can still go to frat parties and get drunk, but you will also have down time. Between classes and fridays after class. Saturday afternoons when nothings going on, and also the rainy afternoons when you got nothing else to do, but study or play videogames.
ags8sf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ags8sf
Member since 2004 • 441 Posts
Since you will be a Freshman I think you will have no time to play video games! Don't worry it's a good thing buddy. I remember my freshman year and man college is awesome, except for mid-terms and finals. I guess it all depends where you go though, I went to Pepperdine University in Malibu and the females where, wow!!!!!!!! Screw videos games dude, there is plenty of time for that later in life. Enjoy your college years, nothing compares to it. :)
imperial_agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 imperial_agent
Member since 2006 • 2195 Posts

i graduated a few years ago. I spent nearly 5 years in school and double-majored.

I played a lot of video games during high school (PS1, Saturn). When I went to college, I really really fell out of video games. I think I had Sim City 3000, and that's it. So I did not spend a lot of playing games.

Honestly, you shouldn't be so focused on video games while your in school, and in life in general, video games should not ever be a concern. If you have time to play, then play. But seriously, 1 of my best friends flunked out of college his first year because he was so addicted to Star Craft. While I went on to graduate and go to graduate school, and now work in the video game industry... he still lives at home and attending community college to make up for getting 10 Fs in one year.

So when you go to college... it might be wise to dictch the video games. You'll find out after a week how liberating it actually is, not to be so focused and invest time, energy, and money into something that... while it's fun... is in the end frivolous. Don't be one of those guys I went to college with who just played Quake in their dorm room, while everyone else was out having fun and talking to cute girls.

btw... I worked part-time and went to school full-time. Typically, the only free time I had was about 11pm-2am... and occassionaly a Sunday or Saturday. Your schedule will be very busy.

I wish I can do it all over again, it was kinda fun. And the girls... wow... so many of them.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]

snackdaddy

Very Very good advise...Monumental actually. Follow this and everything else will be a breeze.

Oh! Also realize that GPA wise the first year (sometimesthe second, depending on hours) can make or break you. I was a fifth year senior andmy grades good or bad hardly effected my over all GPA. When you have over 140 hours the GPA fomula is diluted pretty well. Study first, play second.

Even in my case it's easier said than done ;)

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i go to college i still play video games, i go to school 4 days a week have friday off, (school has not started yet) i find myself having plenty of time, i have 4 classes abut 9-12, have the rest of the day of studying playin gmes
imperial_agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 imperial_agent

A little update here. Well, in a mere 8 days before I am heading off for college, my parents tell me that I can't bring my 360 to college. I have to get good grades my 1st semester to be able to bring it the 2nd semester. Unfortunately, my roommate only has a PS2, so it looks like I am SOL for the biggest 4 months in gaming history. It's complete BS if you ask me. I usually agree with what my parents do, but I see this as a load of crap. They are OK with me going down to UT to watch the game between them and TCU, but they don't trust me enough that I will do my school work and socialize b/c of the videogames. Any advice on what I should do?DaBears45

umm.... I'm a gamer, but I definately agree with your parents on this. I take it this will be the first time you've lived away from home for a significant amount of time. You're going to be confronted with making a lot of responsible... albiet not fun.... decisions.

When you got the 7:00am sociology class... it's going to be up to you to get your butt out of bed and actually go to it... instead of hitting the alarm clock and thinking "I'll go next time..." You're going to have to make the decision to NOT play Gears of War for several days and do your 50 pages/day worth of reading material.

I'm sure you have the sense of personal responsibility and will power to make the right decisions... but NOT having the Xbox360 around will definately make the decisions easier... especially when it's your first few months at college. Believe me, you're going to have so many other distractions anyway. Girls. Parties. Booze. Fitting into a new 'group.' Meeting new people. omg.... Xbox360 is like... so insignificant.

Packt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Packt
Member since 2004 • 3380 Posts
With the current line-up I don't see you making it through first semester. ;)
Crash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Crash6
Member since 2004 • 3525 Posts
You should just do what I do. Work during the day and play at night, except nights before you have a test. Then you should just study but even then you could probably find a little time for gaming as long as you understand the material.
gayguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gayguy
Member since 2003 • 1077 Posts
I only play games on Friday and Saturday. The rest of the days of week are for study.
jay_k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 jay_k3
Member since 2006 • 477 Posts
Well I guess you have to listen to your parents, but I honestly feel that bringing your video games would be a wise choice. I go to the University of Oregon, and I majored in Biology and Psychology. Biology in particular is a rough major because you take o chem and physics. I am currently going to grad school and its ten times harder than undergrad and I still have a chance to play here and there. You probably won't have the opportunity to play ten hours straight. You might play a couple of hours here and there and I can tell you that its worth it. There might be those weekends where you don't feel like going out. You might be finished with your readings and have no tests or assignments coming up. What do you do then? Trust there are boring situations in college. I would personally take the general requirements first before you take your major requirements. Once you get your good grades, bring your 360. I doubt that you will play games instead of studying because when midterms and finals roll up, you'll feel the heat and pressure. There have been weeks when I didn't even play video games because I was so busy. But its good to have after you finish taking a tough midterm or when you finish your finals, its pretty rewarding. Good luck and congrats for getting in.
Cow13_02_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cow13_02_basic
Member since 2002 • 4919 Posts

A lot depends on your schedule. Last fall I had a very easy schedule (intro to philosophy... good times) and had plenty of downtime. The spring was a lot more hectic, but I still had time to play. Guitar Hero is a great way to take a study break with friends.

Off topic: I'm looking forward to the UT-TCU game. Should be a fun one.

ragincoley86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ragincoley86
Member since 2006 • 1357 Posts
I go back to school this weekend and start school the following week. If you have 15 hour credits (normal amount i guess) That 15 hours a week. That comes down to 3 hours a day They saidyou should study double the amount of class time you have. Thats 30 hours a week (That more then enough studying for a week trust me). Thats about 3 hours of school plus 4 hours of studying a day. 7 hour days just like you days inhigh school but this time half of the time it will you be disciplining yourself. As long as you study first, play second, and bust down girls in the mean time you will be good.
Spartan-4295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Spartan-4295
Member since 2007 • 490 Posts
it depends on what you are going to college for. like if you were going to college for something hard you might not have the time.when i go to collegei'm gonna go for anesthesiology(drugging people for surgery), they make TONS of money. I suspect that i won't have a lot of time for games.
pkharkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pkharkin
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts

When you are allowed to bring your 360 to college, its not a bad idea to get away from your dorm room/apartment to do your schoolwork. I went to the library when I had to study, write a paper, or any other kind of work because of the distractions that exist in a college setting (i.e. drunk people, girls, internet, games, etc). We used to play 4 on 4 lan halo games all the time, and I'm sure I would not have graduated with a good GPA if I did not get away from my dorm. I remember one of my friends who bailed on class all the time and instead sat there playing March Madness 2002. Needless to say, he was gone after year 1.

Also, to all of you freshmen to be, please try not to spend your college years playing games all the time. We were pretty intense with our games of madden and halo, but we still went out drinking/partying all the time and did things like play sports, go other places, stuff like that. Generally, games were saved for slow nights or weekend mornings when nursing a hangover. Just remember, after these 4, 5, or 6 years, you enter the working world. Savor these years.

sircadogan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sircadogan01
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Your first semester should be prety easy anyways. I had plenty of time to play due to the fact that I only had 2 or three classes a day.
ParkCarsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ParkCarsHere
Member since 2004 • 3556 Posts

I go back to school this weekend and start school the following week. If you have 15 hour credits (normal amount i guess) That 15 hours a week. That comes down to 3 hours a day They saidyou should study double the amount of class time you have. Thats 30 hours a week (That more then enough studying for a week trust me). Thats about 3 hours of school plus 4 hours of studying a day. 7 hour days just like you days inhigh school but this time half of the time it will you be disciplining yourself. As long as you study first, play second, and bust down girls in the mean time you will be good.ragincoley86

Hmm. I'm about to start College at the end of the month as a freshman Computer Science major. I found high school very easy and graduated at the top of my class while playing games and hanging out with people as much as possible. I've never been one to "sit down and study." I guess I'm going to have to change that for college eh? I just can't see sitting at home reading a book for double the amount of time I spent in class (3 hours). Hopefully I can do it... lol.

This thread has me questioning my ability to do well in college, lol.

imperial_agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 imperial_agent

whatever you decide to do, just try to make the best of your college years. I didn't take advantage of all the extra-curricular activities that were readily available to me, and I didn't bother to become good friends with my room mates either. It's one of the biggest regrets in my life that I wasn't more sociable during those years. I even turned down girls who seemed to be interested in me. And it wasn't because of video games either, in fact, quite the opposite. I was obsessed with getting an A in every single class I took. I became a freakin loner and I spent all my time studying, working, and going to class. Techically, I should be proud of myself that I didn't slack off and I graduated Magna Cum Laude, in 2 majors, in just under 5 years, and I was active in politics. However, none of that really mattered in the end because I didn't even end up working in the field I studied, I didn't even like my field of study, and overall I wasn't very happy while I was in college. Anyway, I wish I spent more time having fun and experiencing all that stuff you see in the movies about college kids, because I didn't do any of that, and now I really regret it.

Anyway, have fun. It's going to be a blast! But don't forget.... STUDY!

Zcrimson07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 Zcrimson07
Member since 2004 • 3493 Posts
im in exactly the same postiition. at first i was planning on being in a bunch of clubs and stuff but lately ive been realizing how much time i think im going to need for all of the great games coming out. but think of it this way. you LIVE at college its your home where you sleep and wake up and have all your free time and everything is right there so i think it wont be too bad. good luck to you tho
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts

I am going to be going to college in a little over a month, and while I can't wait to go, I'm curious as to the amount of free time you will have. I want to have a social life, good grades, but I consider myself a somewhat hardcore gamer. Does anyone currently in college have any advice on the amount of time you play and study? Should I not even bring my 360 to ensure that I will get good grades?

DaBears45

*cracks knuckles* it's time for my "i'm a teacher lecture", please make sure that your studies come before your gaming. Playing video games should be like the last thing on your important things to do list. Think of it this way, 4 years of not so much gaming time will lead to a lifetime of being able to support the hobby.

Heinzman57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Heinzman57
Member since 2006 • 263 Posts
i am going into computer engineering and engineering management. Ive played games my whole life and i think college is a great time to stop for awhile. If you put your concentration on school for the next 4 to 5 years on studying you will have the rest of your life to play videogames. College is indeed a time for fun. But its better to invest your free time in social activities and clubs. Dont waste your college experience playing games all the time. its just not worth it.