Microsoft Sued over Xbox LIVE Outage

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ParadiseAwaits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ParadiseAwaits
Member since 2007 • 1410 Posts

Three Texas residents filed a lawsuit Friday on behalf of themselves and others who have had trouble connecting to Xbox Live in recent weeks.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Houston, claims Microsoft's outages represent a breach of contract and negligent misrepresentation for which the software maker is liable. The suit doesn't claim specific damages, but notes the amount is in excess of $5 million.
In the suit, the plaintiffs allege that Microsoft should have known strong holiday sales would tax its servers. "Microsoft knew the increase in subscriptions would increase game-play on its servers, yet failed to provide adequate access and service to Xbox Live and its subscribers."

Original Link: http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9840766-56.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1082_3-0

ThaSikhest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ThaSikhest
Member since 2007 • 97 Posts
Oh damn! Those people that are sueing Micro$oft are just... and Micro$oft is just...
ratchet3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ratchet3
Member since 2004 • 7883 Posts
How sad, people jump at the smallest things to take advantage. Just pathetic.
PerfectGamer17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PerfectGamer17
Member since 2008 • 303 Posts
What a loser....
sandroDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 sandroDX
Member since 2007 • 3661 Posts
Wow...
allnamestaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 allnamestaken
Member since 2003 • 6618 Posts
it's to protect consumers in the long run. calm down guys
rorywillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rorywillis
Member since 2003 • 60 Posts

How sad, people jump at the smallest things to take advantage. Just pathetic.ratchet3

i agree. i just had a great experience with microsoft support for my 3 red lights. and the live thing was only for like a week. geez. haha i kinda feel bad for microsoft.... but at the same time not because they own everyones money! ha

PerfectGamer17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PerfectGamer17
Member since 2008 • 303 Posts
he will lose.....
vhayste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 vhayste
Member since 2006 • 315 Posts

We must admit though that a majority of XBL subscribers are freakin out since they can't connect to Live. :)

Yet, I do think the lawsuit is reasonable, just to protect the interest of existing and future XBL players. Though I don't agree with the 5 mil damages. Free/Extended XBL subscription would suffice, I guess :P

allnamestaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 allnamestaken
Member since 2003 • 6618 Posts
What's wrong with you guys? We all payed for an online service that has not been functioning several times withing the past couple months. We are all not getting a service we payed for! They have every right to sue, it will stop Microsoft from overloading there servers in the future and will result in a better service and product for all of us.
cronusmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cronusmag
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Nobody ever sues the power company for power outtages but Microsoft has to pay for lawyers against idiots like these.
cheames748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cheames748
Member since 2007 • 667 Posts

What's wrong with you guys? We all payed for an online service that has not been functioning several times withing the past couple months. We are all not getting a service we payed for! They have every right to sue, it will stop Microsoft from overloading there servers in the future and will result in a better service and product for all of us.allnamestaken

so you're from texas too?

abusedbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 abusedbunny
Member since 2007 • 1196 Posts
shutup im in texas
xxmystakalxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xxmystakalxx
Member since 2005 • 505 Posts
wow. it was for one weekend. find somethin else to do. it wont kill u if u dont play for a whole weekened
Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts
LOL trying to sue MS? Good Luck, MS will proceed and take them to court just to make the 3 guys go bankrupt before they even make it to the courtroom. this case will never see the light of day and those 3 idiots are wasting their money on something that cannot be sued over.
Avatar image for shadowdemon0085
shadowdemon0085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shadowdemon0085
Member since 2007 • 116 Posts

Interesting to say the least, but i doubt that they will win...

Robertoey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Robertoey
Member since 2005 • 1996 Posts

If they have the right to sue, then every Xbox Live Gold member does as well. A few people get 5 million dollars in payment on behalf of all the millions of users? I couldn't think of anything I would want to do with 5 million dollars.

Granted I think they either won't win or will recieve a smaller sum of cash in an out of court settlement.

But there are so many lawsuits that are absolutely rediculous. Like that lady who accidently spilled coffee on herself at McDonalds and sued for millions. Or people who slip in malls and sue them for millions as well.

sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 sunnystarz
Member since 2007 • 1536 Posts
ummm.... i was a little mad about not being to connected during my day off from work... i think anyting to improve the server would help even if it's suing the ms
RippedFubar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RippedFubar
Member since 2005 • 426 Posts

well I for one think this is messed. so in the USA if I am unhappy in anyway or botherd I can file a lawsute. what the hell do you say to a Juge Im scard for life becuse I could not play halo3 for one day and I want compasoin for my loss so I can sit at home and play Halo3 all day insted of work. the most these lossers will see is a free 3 month of live card if that

Edot0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Edot0
Member since 2006 • 1298 Posts

Wow..... People are trippin these days. But hey, you can sue people for anything these days I guess.

rorywillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rorywillis
Member since 2003 • 60 Posts

LOL trying to sue MS? Good Luck, MS will proceed and take them to court just to make the 3 guys go bankrupt before they even make it to the courtroom. this case will never see the light of day and those 3 idiots are wasting their money on something that cannot be sued over.Zemus

i agree. no way these guys will win because it is in the terms that they are not responsible for down time. especially on and off for a week. who would sue over that?

someone who needs to get out more.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
Well. If it results in a better service then GO FOR IT!
Sauce74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sauce74
Member since 2007 • 195 Posts

damn rednecks...RJB1994

I live in Houston. I'm not a redneck. You, however, are ignorant. :D!

The XBOX Live outage has been very annoying... I salute these people.

LegendaryFox77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LegendaryFox77
Member since 2007 • 1196 Posts

LOL

Good luck with that.

Microsoft has ninjas at their disposal.

Food_Nipple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Food_Nipple
Member since 2003 • 8379 Posts
that's just stupid. That's gotta be one of the easiest cases MS will ever win
RippedFubar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RippedFubar

What's wrong with you guys? We all payed for an online service that has not been functioning several times withing the past couple months. We are all not getting a service we payed for! They have every right to sue, it will stop Microsoft from overloading there servers in the future and will result in a better service and product for all of us.allnamestaken

the world is not perfect and if you don't like the service you paid for. THEN STOP USING IT and cansel it or whatever and don't complain ok. just don't reenew itk that is all you can do. I know $60 is the world to some out there but you will forget about in 2 days and not even care. THE ONLY THING thell get out of this is there money back. and one hell of a legal bill.

kurt906

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kurt906
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts
wow that is so sad
Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts
if you do the math they are sueing for about 6.30 cents worth of service (all three combined), seems pretty petty to me. Also microsoft has some of the best lawyers in the world, these guys will be bankrupt before they get to court. Even if the do win Appeals could take some time and $5 million isnt going to cover the cost of all that.
RippedFubar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RippedFubar

[QUOTE="allnamestaken"]What's wrong with you guys? We all payed for an online service that has not been functioning several times withing the past couple months. We are all not getting a service we payed for! They have every right to sue, it will stop Microsoft from overloading there servers in the future and will result in a better service and product for all of us.PiNwOrM

Read the contract you stupid dolt, it clearly says microsoft is in their legal rights to not keep the servers up 24/7.

Stupid lawsuit, will be laughed at before it even enters the court room.

SWEET FINDE I love it it's all over befor it even started I forgot about the contract that nobody reads

Avatar image for uconnhuskies050
uconnhuskies050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 uconnhuskies050
Member since 2007 • 643 Posts

proof that everyone in texas is retarded!!!! i mean, come on!!! how can they sue them for that? no judge will take that case surely? not even in america!cheames748

this is the most ignorant, ridiculous, moronic attempt at a statement i've ever heard in my entire life. how the hell does this lawsuit say anything about anybody in texas other than these people? and who the hell in texas do you know of that is so "retarded"? where do you get off saying this? you're a straight up judgmental, stereotyping idiot. now gtfo

IONz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 IONz
Member since 2006 • 310 Posts
Nobody ever sues the power company for power outtages but Microsoft has to pay for lawyers against idiots like these.cronusmag
because power isnt a fixed cost. dumbass.
PiNwOrM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 PiNwOrM
Member since 2005 • 2030 Posts
[QUOTE="PiNwOrM"]

[QUOTE="allnamestaken"]What's wrong with you guys? We all payed for an online service that has not been functioning several times withing the past couple months. We are all not getting a service we payed for! They have every right to sue, it will stop Microsoft from overloading there servers in the future and will result in a better service and product for all of us.RippedFubar

Read the contract you stupid dolt, it clearly says microsoft is in their legal rights to not keep the servers up 24/7.

Stupid lawsuit, will be laughed at before it even enters the court room.

SWEET FINDE I love it it's all over befor it even started I forgot about the contract that nobody reads

I seriously hope you wern't trying to imply that not reading a contract you agree to makes it void.

Iffy350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Iffy350
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
I bet I know one of them and his nick is fs_*******. Guy is not very bright.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

I wonder if actions like this prompted MS into offering the free XBLA game (whatever it turns out to be).

And even if the claim was for $5m - that's less than $1 per 360 owner

PiNwOrM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PiNwOrM

I wonder if actions like this prompted MS into offering the free XBLA game (whatever it turns out to be).

And even if the claim was for $5m - that's less than $1 per 360 owner

Avenger1324

Microsoft is offering the game out of the goodness of their hearts, so to speak. They have no legal oblication to do anything here. At all.

It's simply good business to correct a wrong you have made.

danzoid_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 danzoid_101
Member since 2005 • 1592 Posts

[QUOTE="cronusmag"]Nobody ever sues the power company for power outtages but Microsoft has to pay for lawyers against idiots like these.IONz
because power isnt a fixed cost. dumbass.

PWND

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts
$5 million is pocket change to M$. They should have ask for $1 billion
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
I hope they win. A service such as this shouldn't be down for that long. Good thing I haven't used live in a month.
danzoid_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 danzoid_101
Member since 2005 • 1592 Posts

I forgot to add my thought.

They'll lose because they expect to get 5 mil on behalf of all live users, i'm preety sure that doesn't work in the legal world.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

I forgot to add my thought.

They'll lose because they expect to get 5 mil on behalf of all live users, i'm preety sure that doesn't work in the legal world.

danzoid_101

McDonalds. Coffee. Enough said. Court decisions are stupid.

skatatay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 skatatay
Member since 2007 • 1617 Posts
Im surprised they actually allowed someone to sue over something like that.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
This was just three guys in one district of one state, what would happen if two or three people from a tenth of all the districts in the US filed a simular law suets across the US and this doesn't count if people from other parts of the world did the same thing. This could cost MS in the billions just in legal fees.
PiNwOrM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PiNwOrM

This was just three guys in one district of one state, what would happen if two or three people from a tenth of all the districts in the US filed a simular law suets across the US and this doesn't count if people from other parts of the world did the same thing. This could cost MS in the billions just in legal fees.jimm895

No, it won't, because hell will freeze over before this wins.

God damn, do people not read contracts they agree too? this is very, very basic stuff.

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
This just promotes the steriotype of stupid sue happy americans. >.> Seriously those ppl must be extremly dense, they are going to loose so much money trying to sue MS, and they for sure wont win.
Trogeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#48 Trogeton
Member since 2005 • 2776 Posts
That was stupid.. but then again that would mean they were paying for XLB and not getting it, so by law, they did have the right to do that, and M$ deserved it, with there faulty hardware..I'm still waiting for that package to come in to send my 360 off for that entire month Just for a repair..... HOW CHEAP
KGrimm03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KGrimm03
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts
ha 5 million thats chum change to microsoft.
GungraveZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 GungraveZero
Member since 2004 • 2791 Posts
All it is, is people trying to get money. The issue was not that bad that it required legal action. Geez, so live is down, go watch a movie or something, it won't kill you. I just hate it when idiots complain over the dumbest things.