Microsoft Makes Horrible Quality Controllers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

For every controller I own, the battery pack becomes loose after a few weeks. This drives me nuts and am wondering why this happens to almost every xbox controller I own. This seems to happen with newer ones because this never happened in the past. Does this happen to anyone else? Possible fixes?

Gamefreak1296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Gamefreak1296
Member since 2005 • 1670 Posts

Yeah i've had that happen. But I figured it was because I had this habit of throwing my controller in the air while it flips and catch it back in the standard grip mode everytime I die. Lol.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

ive never had that problem and one of my controllers is 4 years old.

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts

Really? I've always found Microsoft's controller to be the best of the console controllers. Obviously there are some PC controllers that you can buy for around $80 that are better but other than that the xbox controller is great. There is the slightly disappointing d-pad, but it isn't quite as bad as people say. Button placement, size, comfort, and ect, are all perfect IMO. I've never really experienced any problems with a M$ controller let alone any loose battery pack troubles.

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 heatfanman101

I haven't physical harmed my controllers so that can't be the problem. It may be from taking the battery pack out and the springs inside getting stretched. I'm thinking about just returning it and getting a play and charge and I hopefully wont need to deal with this anymore.

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 heatfanman101

Really? I've always found Microsoft's controller to be the best of the console controllers. Obviously there are some PC controllers that you can buy for around $80 that are better but other than that the xbox controller is great. There is the slightly disappointing d-pad, but it isn't quite as bad as people say. Button placement, size, comfort, and ect, are all perfect IMO. I've never really experienced any problems with a M$ controller let alone any loose battery pack troubles.

julianwelton

I agree about the comfort of the controller, but this battery pack problem has been killing me for the last month or two.

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 heatfanman101

Any ideas for a fix? I really don't want to put tape on it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
have you ever evaluated whether you mistreat your technology? because these things are damn sturdy to be honest
nintendo_ds_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nintendo_ds_06
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts

heatfanman101
Has happened once when I got pissed and threw my controller at a wall :P but may I ask what is wrong with tape? I used tape and it worked fine and you don't even realise its there :|
Gamefreak1296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gamefreak1296
Member since 2005 • 1670 Posts

[QUOTE="heatfanman101"]

nintendo_ds_06

Has happened once when I got pissed and threw my controller at a wall :P but may I ask what is wrong with tape? I used tape and it worked fine and you don't even realise its there :|

If you're worried about looks, take some duct tape and roll a small piece to itself then put it on the top of the battery pack. Put the battery pack in the controller and wa la. It sticks AND it doesn't look crappy.

benboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#12 benboz
Member since 2005 • 4221 Posts

I have three Xbox 360 controllers and they are all in top quality. Battery packs stay in place all the time and I find no problems with them. The Xbox 360 controllers are the best controllers than anything else.

colganraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 colganraz
Member since 2008 • 319 Posts

happened to 1 of my controllers which i have had since 2006 :P i replaced JUST the pack where the batterys go in and now it's fine, you might be able to pick a battery pack/holder thing up off ebay cheap... the only other problems i have ever had with 360 controllers is the thumb stick breaking and the grip on the thumbsticks wearing down due to excessive years of gameplay lol i think there good pieces of equipment TBH

Avatar image for EasyNormalHard1
EasyNormalHard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EasyNormalHard1
Member since 2010 • 203 Posts
Never had a problem my controllers or my xbox 360.
F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts
Odd, never heard of this problem before. I would suggest buying a wired controller if it really bothers you that much.
willpd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 willpd123
Member since 2005 • 970 Posts

Odd, never heard of this problem before. I would suggest buying a wired controller if it really bothers you that much.F0urTwenty

Yeh me two i actually prefer using the wired contollers. Don't like having to think about charging batteries

Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts

For every controller I own, the battery pack becomes loose after a few weeks. This drives me nuts and am wondering why this happens to almost every xbox controller I own. This seems to happen with newer ones because this never happened in the past. Does this happen to anyone else? Possible fixes?

heatfanman101
maybe ur not taking care of your contollers
Avatar image for juliankennedy23
juliankennedy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#18 juliankennedy23
Member since 2005 • 894 Posts

have you ever evaluated whether you mistreat your technology? because these things are damn sturdy to be honestlamprey263

I agree. Xbox hardware may not be the pinnacle of reliability but the controller has always stood out as a welcome exception.

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
I've had the same 2 controllers (1 that came with my console) and 1 Xbox 360/PC hybrid controller since I first bought my console, and I haven't had a problem with any of them. I did purchase a rechargeable dock thing that uses light sensors to recharge the batteries, so it gave me 2 new battery packs. That hasn't made my other battery packs any worse in quality though. I think you may just be complaining because you broke your controllers unintentionally. It happens..
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#20 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Never had problems with any controllers..Quite excited bout the new D pad controller though.

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts

Actually, 360 controllers are the best. This is the first time I've ever heard such a complaint.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

My first controller's left analog stick does not work, and the mic barely worked. The mic not working was an issue out of the box. My second controller, the d-pad barely works, and the controller cuts off on its on even when connected so it's not a dead battery. I agree with you, but I'll do you one more. MS has terrible quality hardware.

jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

Never had this problem. I saw you said you didn't want to take it but its as good of a quick fix as any. Just try not to look at the battery pack while your playing and you will never notice :P

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

My only complaints are the analogs wear out pretty quickly (which is expected after 3 months of use) and that some weird gray grimy stuff builds on the left side of my controller. I'm constantly scratching it off each day. Even though I try to keep my accessories clean, it always happens and I never eat while gaming.

2pac_makaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 2pac_makaveli
Member since 2008 • 1681 Posts
i also have never had this problem and have a controller from the original 360 launch, i aslo have and elite controller and a newer arcade controller none have problems.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

I've had a few controllers myself, my friend, my brother, friends. No one I know has ever had that problem haha

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
I've never had the battery pack problem but the left left of both of my controllers are a buit finicky. One in particular has issues with the left bumber and left trigger. Sometimes when playing Reach with this controller I randomly throw grenades when I don't want to and sometimes the armor abilities don't function properly because the bumber wont recognize that its being held down. My other controller had similar issues but to a far far less extent. A buddy of mine had his left bumper completely crap out on him. Maybe its a left side of the controller thing?
TurkishBaklava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TurkishBaklava
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
i had that problem last month. i just taped it. nothing else to do.. btw can you return your controller? if your xbox is under warrenty?:O
killer_beanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 killer_beanz
Member since 2010 • 913 Posts

Mine came with the xbox a year ago and it doesn't have that problem. MY bothers white one is sturdy too.

ak47bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ak47bang
Member since 2010 • 135 Posts

Really it is a terrible design that should be changed , I mean come on they should use a thin cell phone type battery that is rechargeable .

BustBuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BustBuy
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I have the same prob with both my controllers. And I find that only about a month of play the knobs start to get loose an makes my character move unessecarily
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
My first controller worked perfectly for nearly two years and I have two newer controllers that work flawlessly.
BzTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BzTheMan
Member since 2010 • 29 Posts

Never or ever had problems with the 360 controller. For me it's the best design and fits in my hands like a glove. :D

david60639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 david60639
Member since 2005 • 6951 Posts
The analog sticks break over time and the four corner dots wear away on them as well. Only other problem I've had is the cushion under my A button literally disintegrating into nothing from playing too much Gears.
iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 iAtrocious
Member since 2010 • 1567 Posts
Except they don't. Both my controllers (wireless and wired) still run fine. You probably got a bad controller -- just take it back to the store and ask them to trade it for another.
SpartanA027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SpartanA027
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I haven't had big problems with my controller just alot of little one's the left bumper don't work sometimes (when playing halo reach for armor lock only for some reason), the battery pack don't hold a charge sometimes, and the left analog stick doesn't quite rest when i use it (like in fallout i move slowly to the left but not the right). But like i said their little problems it's not like they mess me up when playing games.
S1MSTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 108

#38 S1MSTA
Member since 2008 • 1624 Posts

ive never had that problem and one of my controllers is 4 years old.

Gen007
Same and my controllers had some pretty bad knocks.
heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 heatfanman101

I did this and it actually fixed the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMW7F_51YK0

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 heatfanman101

also, the name of this topic came mostly came from me being frustrated by this problem. I think they are most comfortable and best working controllers available.

RickyRevolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RickyRevolver
Member since 2010 • 1086 Posts

I've had 4 controllers since launch and all of them have broken, the analog sticks get loose which makes games unplayable, the DPad breaks, and ofcourse, the battery pack break too.

I agree with you TC

This controllers are horroble quality 4 controllers break in a period of 3months is unacceptable for me. and ofcourse the majority of the people in this threat are gonna say they've had no problems because people like disagreeing with the TC 90% of the time

xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts

Ive never had a problem.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I have 5 controllers. Not one of them has a problem with the battery pack staying in place. 3 of them are 3 years old, two are from the MW2 console bundle.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

What do you guys do to your controllers? I have two from Jan 06 and they both still work fine. Pretty much all of my controllers have been thrown at least once. I had one split open and the vibration motor inside even came out and it still works to this day. I've had battery covers get knocked off, and batteries thrown out, and still you could just put them back together and they worked. Xbox has one of the most well built controllers going.

SpartanA027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SpartanA027
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I think the real question here is how much game play do you actually get out of these controllers. For, example if you only play like 1-3 hours a day and the thing brakes in a year thats pretty bad, but if you play like 5+ hours a day for a year and it brakes thats a pretty well made controller in my opinion.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#46 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
My only problem that is battery related is how the pack that allows you to use AA's seems to be really finicky about what batteries it will take, and how eventually it will just not really work with any batteries I do have - be they regulars or rechargeables. That being said, their own battery pack does last longer between charges than the AA's did anyway. Seems to be an even trade in my personal opinion.
alvin201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 alvin201
Member since 2007 • 457 Posts
I still have my original controller from when i bought the console four years ago.... and i swear i drop it every single day and it works perfectly
Tsuyoi94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Tsuyoi94
Member since 2010 • 239 Posts

Try to replace the batteries cause they might not fit the battery pack .. I changed mine from GP ultra's to the rechargeable eneloops and it works perfect .. they fit perfectly maybe that's why lol .. the GP ultra's were a bit loose in there so I think that might be your problem .. If not just change the battery pack .. Worst case, just get a new controller ..

greendayR0cks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 greendayR0cks
Member since 2010 • 238 Posts

I've had 4 controllers since launch and all of them have broken, the analog sticks get loose which makes games unplayable, the DPad breaks, and ofcourse, the battery pack break too.

I agree with you TC

This controllers are horroble quality 4 controllers break in a period of 3months is unacceptable for me. and ofcourse the majority of the people in this threat are gonna say they've had no problems because people like disagreeing with the TC 90% of the time

RickyRevolver
Well, I got 4 of my controllers since Christmas on 07, when I got my Xbox 360 Elite, and they still work to me. I only broke one though, anger problems on some game. Other then that, my other controllers been good since I got it in Christmas on 07.