left 4 dead = ripoff.

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EinsteinNewton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 EinsteinNewton
Member since 2009 • 166 Posts

i bought left 4 dead last weekend at a gamestop store for 50$. i figured i could get it cheaper on ebay new, but i didn't feel like bothering so i snagged it. everyone hyped the game up so much and i knew it wouldn't live up to the hype, as games never do, but it didn't even come close.

i can't believe i payed 50$ for it. its lame unless ur online. ai allies are horrible. there's barely any depth. its a good game, but for 20$. i feel used (-_-)

enjoyed the Resident Evil 5 demo way more than left4dead.

i should demo everything anymore, i got pwned by my own stupidity.

anyone else think its overrated or not worth 50-60$ ??

Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts
Apparently many people also felt ripped off by the free dlc.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

i should demo everything anymore, i got pwned by my own stupidity.EinsteinNewton

Sorry this made me lol it kept my attention for awhile so i think it was worth my money but by no way did it live up to valve standards. though the free dlc does give it credit

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

i bought left 4 dead last weekend at a gamestop store for 50$. i figured i could get it cheaper on ebay new, but i didn't feel like bothering so i snagged it. everyone hyped the game up so much and i knew it wouldn't live up to the hype, as games never do, but it didn't even come close.

i can't believe i payed 50$ for it. its lame unless ur online. ai allies are horrible. there's barely any depth. its a good game, but for 20$. i feel used (-_-)

EinsteinNewton

yeah felt the same way but Imo its not a bad game, iits just a shallow game :/ $20 yeah, $50 or $60 heck no! to bad I bought it on day one :/

Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts

EinsteinNewton

I have heard from many, many sources that say this game absolutely shines when playing with people you know because the whole concept of the game is teamwork. Playing with random people doesn't usually lend itself to excellent teamwork. Teamwork is about helping each other out, etc. Maybe you should try playing it with that in mind.

I'm going to pick this up soon because I know what to expect. Having appropriate excpectations for a specific movie, game or any other medium will usually avoid these type of situations.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

It's a great game and is worth the full price. It's better on PC tho.

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
I bought it at launch for full price and don't feel ripped off, at all. Sure, I have complained that there are only 4 campaigns, and I will continue to complain about that too, but I have spent a lot of time playing that game and have had so much fun playing it. The single player isn't amazing, but it can still be surprisingly satisfying playing single player and blasting some zombies away. There is nothing better than getting a few friends together and playing the game though.
Avatar image for TheActionFigure
TheActionFigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheActionFigure
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts

It's better to play this game with people you know. It's a blast and a half I think.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i know what u mean. i felt like that when i first got it. i felt like i should have bought it on the PC. i'm going to be doing soon maybe. i just looked on steam and it is $40 for it.
sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sourcerah
Member since 2003 • 1214 Posts
I was thinking about getting this game. Either this, Bioshock, Dead Space, GOW2, or Oblivion... but anyways, some people say that this is a great game while others say it's garbage with the exception of the online play. I usually don't rent so should i just buy one of the other ones? I don't have any zombie games and i am NOT buying RE5 b/c of that bs they pulled with the "dlc". Any help would be greatly appreciated... Also, what do you mean by a "shallow" game? Is the game short in terms of length? What makes the online play so spectacular and the single player mode so terrible?
death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#11 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts
It's all about the online multiplayer like Versus mode. You don't buy L4D for single player or else you will be disappointed.
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

its lame unless ur online

EinsteinNewton
Everybody could have told you that. Don't you do any research before you spend money?
Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

the co-op, director AI and the new survival mode are the best part of this game, i always felt the multiplayer was tacked on and horribly done because really the only "infected" worth playing as is the tank

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

[QUOTE="EinsteinNewton"]

nethernova

Everybody could have told you that. Don't you do any research before you spend money?

Yeah seriously.

It's been how many months now and he didn't read the reviews. I'm pretty sure many of the reviews out there say that offline may disappoint, but online is stellar. This late in the game, there really is no excuse.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

I was thinking about getting this game. Either this, Bioshock, Dead Space, GOW2, or Oblivion... but anyways, some people say that this is a great game while others say it's garbage with the exception of the online play. I usually don't rent so should i just buy one of the other ones? I don't have any zombie games and i am NOT buying RE5 b/c of that bs they pulled with the "dlc". Any help would be greatly appreciated... Also, what do you mean by a "shallow" game? Is the game short in terms of length? What makes the online play so spectacular and the single player mode so terrible?sourcerah

Some people say it's shallow. Once you get into it, it becomes very apparent that this was a design choice. They kept the weapon selection and character skills to a minimum to keep the flow of the action going. For a twitch shooter, the pacing is just right. Variety comes in the form of the AI director. It randomly chooses weapon pickup spots and zombie spawn points and randomly throws waves of undead at you.

Some call it shallow. I find the minimalism elegent in a way.

Versus game mechanics are as innovative and refreshing as Splinter Cell's. Playing as zombies is very different than playing as survivors.

EinsteinNewton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EinsteinNewton
[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

[QUOTE="nethernova"][QUOTE="EinsteinNewton"]

Yeah seriously.

It's been how many months now and he didn't read the reviews. I'm pretty sure many of the reviews out there say that offline may disappoint, but online is stellar. This late in the game, there really is no excuse.

ACTUALLY i DID read the reviews, multiples. i knew it was lame unless online, the online isnt that great either- BUT the reason i said its lame online is because a game shouldn't be 60$ if there's barely any content and u only get much enjoyment when online. i knew it was online based. its no more in-depth then counter-strike, which i have a TON more fun playing, and was 30$ cheaper plus i got a ton of extras. left4dead is like a friggin cs:s modded map. cept with a little more work obv., but not 60$ worth
mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#17 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts
Then find out which friends of yours has this game, and play with them online. Its a blast when playing with friends.
EinsteinNewton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EinsteinNewton

me and my roomate go online together,i have more fun playin resident evil co-op by alot

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
It's pointless if you don't play online and with the headset, but if you do it's a blast. I paid $40 for it.
cheez-it_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 cheez-it_kid
Member since 2008 • 702 Posts
It's all about the online multiplayer like Versus mode. You don't buy L4D for single player or else you will be disappointed.death919
Multiplayer is even worse :?
sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

Well it may have been a rip off for you, I got it in it's first week and played it to death, but I don't feel ripped off.

gschmidt311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gschmidt311
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I was thinking about getting this game. Either this, Bioshock, Dead Space, GOW2, or Oblivion... but anyways, some people say that this is a great game while others say it's garbage with the exception of the online play. I usually don't rent so should i just buy one of the other ones? I don't have any zombie games and i am NOT buying RE5 b/c of that bs they pulled with the "dlc". Any help would be greatly appreciated... Also, what do you mean by a "shallow" game? Is the game short in terms of length? What makes the online play so spectacular and the single player mode so terrible?sourcerah

Grab Oblivion, deepest and most satisfying on the 360 when it came out, and still is.

doug789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 doug789
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts

EinsteinNewton

research ur games before you buy.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I don't necessarily feel ripped off, but I wish I had gotten it at a cheaper price. I don't play it at all anymore and I grew bored with it quickly. Not a bad game, but just one that doesn't suit me. I'll download the DLC when I get home and give it another shot with my friends though for sure.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#26 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Meh. It was great the first time I played it, but after awhile it got old quickly. I didn't like the fact that there were only 4 campaigns that could be finished in 45 minutes each, there was barely any depth to it and while versus is very fun to play the 20 second respawn kind of ruined it for me.

Joss09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Joss09
Member since 2009 • 263 Posts

How is the multi-player bad? if you don't have friends sure it's a pain in the ass trying to find people with mics and what not, aside from that though it's probably the best teamwork reliable game out there. The maps are addicting even though there isn't many of them, being able to be both sides, human and infected is just great. This game isn't meant to be played solo what so ever. If you bought this game for single player purposes, you need to work on your research a bit more before buying games.

Angry_Mushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Angry_Mushroom
Member since 2009 • 708 Posts

[QUOTE="EinsteinNewton"]

doug789

research ur games before you buy.

Got mine of steam for about 25 dollars. Gotta love those weekend deals. Anyway what did you expect with a zombie survival? Zoey in a love square between Bill, Francis, and Louis?

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

the co-op, director AI and the new survival mode are the best part of this game, i always felt the multiplayer was tacked on and horribly done because really the only "infected" worth playing as is the tank

JayQproductions

tacked on? If everyone was able to play as the tank, then the multiplayer would be tacked on... but winning in this game requires extreme cooperation, and the multiplayer was built so that a single player wouldn't be able to dominate the opposing team. Care to elaborate on why the multiplayer is horribly done?

Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bumzur
Member since 2009 • 560 Posts
You buy a multiplayer centric game and complain about the singleplayer? Good job, Captain Obvious. Game was certainly worth $50 though. I've put 300+ hours into it.
ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I also think the game is not worth full price for its short content.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#32 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Don't know what's so bad about it. I got a few weeks after release enjoyed it, ALOT! I played it too much, for about 4 weeks straight non-stop. It's worth it.

Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts
It's AI might not be the best but it's easily forgiven when you think about the online. I've beaten the game one too many times, and I've still yet to beat Blood Harvest on Veteran... But it's still a lot of fun. Then again, I have to admit to the fact that it was only enjoyable when me and 3 other close friends played together. Survival was fun, but the game has already bored me and it doesn't seem to be enough of a good game-type to have me coming back for more... Maybe if they added new Survival achievements.
hansmacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hansmacher
Member since 2003 • 900 Posts
this thread amuses me, you are entitled to your opinion, but apparently the majority disagree because once the supply of used games overcomes the demand the price will drop... apparently there are still a lot of people that think its worth the 50 bucks used I would suggest playing it more before you make a decision it grows on you
JuKeE76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JuKeE76
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts
Well, for starters, the game was made and meant to be played online with other people, single player isn't exactly stellar but when you get online with this game, it's definately one of the top games there is, very high in replay value. JuKeE76, for anyone who is up for some xbl
HistoricalSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HistoricalSD
Member since 2009 • 582 Posts
left 4 dead is certainyl a good game, but not better than gears 1..
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
[QUOTE="death919"]It's all about the online multiplayer like Versus mode. You don't buy L4D for single player or else you will be disappointed.cheez-it_kid
Multiplayer is even worse :?

Huh? Its the best MP game Ive played in years.
COD4_Shinedown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 COD4_Shinedown
Member since 2008 • 5673 Posts

[QUOTE="EinsteinNewton"]

Lance_Kalzas

I have heard from many, many sources that say this game absolutely shines when playing with people you know because the whole concept of the game is teamwork. Playing with random people doesn't usually lend itself to excellent teamwork. Teamwork is about helping each other out, etc. Maybe you should try playing it with that in mind.

I'm going to pick this up soon because I know what to expect. Having appropriate excpectations for a specific movie, game or any other medium will usually avoid these type of situations.

This is the truth. I've had countless hours of fun just playing local co-op with my friends. It really is a great game, but I can see where you're coming from when you say you feel ripped off. With only four campaigns to choose from and with each one only lasting about an hour (on normal) it does leave a little bit to be desired, until you begin playing co-op.

Avatar image for ThWorldGreatest
ThWorldGreatest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ThWorldGreatest
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

i can't believe i payed 50$ for it. its lame unless ur online.EinsteinNewton

i should demo everything anymore, i got pwned by my own stupidity.EinsteinNewton

you say you can't play online yet you're saying that you should demo everything? :|

EinsteinNewton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 EinsteinNewton

people keep flaming me saying to do my research. if u actually read my later posts, I I DID DO RESEARCH. i like multiplayer games, its decent but i think its overrated and overpriced for it is short on content. high replay value shouldn't make it cost more.

cod, halo, CS are far superior multiplayer play IMO. And for u flamers that means IN MY OPINION = BIASED STATEMENT = shut up

i still like the game, just not as much as everyone else i guess.

EinsteinNewton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 EinsteinNewton

[QUOTE="EinsteinNewton"]i can't believe i payed 50$ for it. its lame unless ur online.ThWorldGreatest

you say you can't play online yet you're saying that you should demo everything? :|

i never said i can't play online? where does it say that? please, enlighten me
Avatar image for Enraged_Bannana
Enraged_Bannana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Enraged_Bannana
Member since 2008 • 671 Posts

its an ok game just gets very boring fast

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#44 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
Then I guess you should learn to rent your games before you purchase a $50 investment. I rented Left 4 Dead, enjoyed it, but don't have the time or reason to purchase it with finals coming up.
2pac_makaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 2pac_makaveli
Member since 2008 • 1681 Posts
its fun and worth it if you have enough friends to fill the ai slots
FFVIIROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#46 FFVIIROCKS
Member since 2007 • 1176 Posts

I dont find it a rip off at all. Out of the many 360 games I own I probably have put the most hours on that ( will other then oblivion) but Its really fun and I have many people to play online with so it never gets old.... Now its not better then Half life 2 for sure though haha

YoungDab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 YoungDab
Member since 2007 • 565 Posts

Yea the survival mode is kinda stupid.They should allow a 30second countdown on screen every 5minutes to give you time to pickup weapons and health.I was playing the other day and two tanks came out at the same time,we felt cheated how the enemy spawns were setup.It wasnt meant for you to survive,it was meant for you to get slaughtered.

www.youtube.com/360kildab subscribe.

spendinbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 spendinbig
Member since 2004 • 698 Posts
Having friends playing with you is what really makes the game worth the $50 price tag.
glassjawbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 glassjawbox
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts

I am sick of left 4 dead, i got the new dlc, played it a few times, yeah it waspretty cool but it still gets benched...BUT it is one of those games i think i will always want topick up againand again. iam tempted totradethis gamein afterseveral play throughs ofIt, but icouldnt part with it. The zombie slaying mahem is so unique. The day iscomming when the dead will rise once again. We needmore weapons (DLC)xboxlive!But If you havntpicked upa copy yet, don't, until it drops.

xobballox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 xobballox
Member since 2008 • 484 Posts
If you have Xbox Live and friends, it's not a ripoff. And they gave out free DLC (Even though half of it should have been in the original game), so maybe they will continue to do so.