Leading Female Characters?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

azupanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 azupanda
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts

Whenever I am given the option to choose between playing as a male or a female character in any type of game I always choose the female. It doesn't matter what type of game it is, if I am given a choice, I pick the female. Not to sure why, maybe it's because I'm a guy and I'm slightly perverted, or maybe it's because it's something new and fresh.

Sooooooo anywho, I was thinking what ever happened to having female leads? To name a few there is Jade from Beyond Good and Evil, Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider series,Aya Brea from Parasite Eve, Joanna from Perfect Dark, Konoko from Oni, and the girls of Oneechanbara VorteX.

Am I the only one who has noticed this lack in leading females? Maybe it's that game developers feel that if it is a male lead it will appeal to the average gamer more. That could be the case, but then who knows. With great risk comes high reward... right? So why not give it a shot. Nothing like a good game with a sexy female lead. Anyone else feel this way if not similar?

~Panda

newmanmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 newmanmaster
Member since 2006 • 187 Posts
Well Metroid was a fantastic hit and you played a woman in that .........although you didnt no your character was a female till she took her suit off:?
therapyhiccup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 therapyhiccup
Member since 2005 • 1800 Posts
and why are female leads(or any) not ugly. for example, marcus is an ugly SOB.
let's see some ugly chicks dammit!
Anabub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Anabub
Member since 2006 • 8316 Posts
and why are female leads(or any) not ugly. for example, marcus is an ugly SOB.
let's see some ugly chicks dammit!therapyhiccup
Funny!
azupanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 azupanda

Well Metroid was a fantastic hit and you played a woman in that .........although you didnt no your character was a female till she took her suit off:?newmanmaster

Ahh yes, I somehow forgot about Samus. That's what no sleep does to ya. Also not to sure if anyones played it, but Odin Sphere is a great game with leading female characters.

@ Rapy, no ugly chicks! Lol

~Panda

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
what about perfect dark it has a female for a lead character
KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts

what about perfect dark it has a female for a lead character2ndWonder

He did mention Joanna but you forgot about Yuna from FFX-2 in my eyes she's pretty hot. I'm not complainig also alicia from Bullet Witch.

azupanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 azupanda

what about perfect dark it has a female for a lead character2ndWonder

Indeed it does :3 (as said somewhere in that first post). I just feel like there needs to be more current gen (next gen) games with female leads. Silly developers.

~Panda

Avatar image for deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
deactivated-5f89ab8e63049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts
Yeh, they do it based on stereotypes. I read about it somewhere. For instance, some horror based games (and a lot of films) will have a woman as the main charaacter, as the stereotypical image is that woman are weker than men, thus enhancing the level of horror.
azupanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 azupanda

Yeh, they do it based on stereotypes. I read about it somewhere. For instance, some horror based games (and a lot of films) will have a woman as the main charaacter, as the stereotypical image is that woman are weker than men, thus enhancing the level of horror.SpigleyMcCheese

Ahhh that is very true, they do mainly have women as the lead role in horror flicks. Well, I don't know about these "stereotypes people", but I sure do love a chick with guns who can kick ass. Like that gal from those Resident Evil movies and what not.

~Panda

therapyhiccup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 therapyhiccup
Member since 2005 • 1800 Posts

[QUOTE="SpigleyMcCheese"]Yeh, they do it based on stereotypes. I read about it somewhere. For instance, some horror based games (and a lot of films) will have a woman as the main charaacter, as the stereotypical image is that woman are weker than men, thus enhancing the level of horror.azupanda

Ahhh that is very true, they do mainly have women as the lead role in horror flicks. Well, I don't know about these "stereotypes people", but I sure do love a chick with guns who can kick ass. Like that gal from those Resident Evil movies and what not.

~Panda

you should watch the film called...'the descent', mmmhmmm, if you havent already

KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts
[QUOTE="azupanda"]

[QUOTE="SpigleyMcCheese"]Yeh, they do it based on stereotypes. I read about it somewhere. For instance, some horror based games (and a lot of films) will have a woman as the main charaacter, as the stereotypical image is that woman are weker than men, thus enhancing the level of horror.therapyhiccup

~Panda

you should watch the film called...'the descent', mmmhmmm, if you havent already

Good film, but they were pot-holers really as oppose to all out ass kickin diva's like Millia Jovovich was in ResidentEvil.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#13 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
I too always play as a female if there is a choice. while on the topic of this though, how could you forget Kameo? We are in a 360 forum after all...
Wii26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 Wii26
Member since 2006 • 4661 Posts
There are plenty of female leads. But sometimes its hard to build around a female since it may not float well with a lot of gamers if not portrayed properly. It's a touchy thing to do.
Monkey-Man1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Monkey-Man1234
Member since 2006 • 469 Posts
Heavenly Sword, even though it's only on the PS3 :(
wreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wreak
Member since 2005 • 4645 Posts
i think there is a large problem w/ how women are portrayed in video games and may be a large reason as to why women don't like most video games. women in games are for the most part just over sexualized. now women like other attractive girls as a lead but aslong as they are just attractive and don't seem to spew male fantasy from every oraphis in there tiny naked bodys, keep them realistic in perportion, and in what they wear; i think Alyx from HL2 is a perfect example of a strong female character and how it's getting better these days...but not fast enough.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts
Atm i'm a huge fan of Joanna Dark in PDZ :)
Avatar image for ClandestineZero
ClandestineZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ClandestineZero
Member since 2004 • 2477 Posts

There is a lack, and I hafta say I do the same thing.  My character in Oblivion is female (well, actually that was partially a stat choice.  females in Oblivion have a slightly lower strength and a slightly higher intel, and I play mage).  When Fable 2 hits I might do the same thing.  I do it for exactly the same reason you mention; there aren't enough games with a female lead, so whenever a choice is presented it lets us even the lead character gender playing field.

Only time I don't do that is in MMOs or other multiplayer games.  That can get a little weird for me.

deltaboarder18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deltaboarder18
Member since 2004 • 2527 Posts
Oh how i remember Parasite Eve. That game was quite fun. It was underrated IMO.
SamlambJam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SamlambJam
Member since 2006 • 214 Posts
Well Final Fantasy XIII has a lead female character
DeepCoalMiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DeepCoalMiner
Member since 2004 • 617 Posts

Kameo of course.

And the girls of DOA.

I believe the main reason for a lack of female leads is there is a design flaw in the Unreal engine. No jiggle physics. Quite the oversight I would say.

azupanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 azupanda

I too always play as a female if there is a choice. while on the topic of this though, how could you forget Kameo? We are in a 360 forum after all...AzelKosMos

Ahhh yes. Maybe it's cuz Kameo was bad ^_________^

Oh how i remember Parasite Eve. That game was quite fun. It was underrated IMO.deltaboarder18

FINNNALY! I love you. In a non-homosexual way.

And the girls of DOA.DeepCoalMiner

Well, it's expected to have female characters in fighting games. Especially attractive ones.

Well Final Fantasy XIII has a lead female characterSamlambJam

Well of course, you figured it would happen eventually in the Final Fantasy series. Which kind of brings me to another point. I import and play a lot of Japanese games and a majority of their games have female leads. Well, seeing how most are RPGs the female character is in your party at all times (which works too). I'd personally love to see a game from Microsoft that has a female lead. Perhaps a shooter? I wish Bungie would make another Oni game after Halo is done, but it's not expected. The story in that game was amazing.... Sigh.

~Panda

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
i played as the women is mercenies, that may be bacause im british, i choose women charcters if i have the choice
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts

i think the problem with using Female characters in games is the lack of the female character development throughout a story. It's easier to throw in a macho dude blowing up stuff...rather than a girl. There are always questions "wow a girl..how'd she get involved? ...wow what is she doing in this situation?...wow a girl?! " I think gamers want a female's role more played out fluently...because females are considered "fragile" in most cases.

azupanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 azupanda

i think the problem with using Female characters in games is the lack of the female character development throughout a story. It's easier to throw in a macho dude blowing up stuff...rather than a girl. There are always questions "wow a girl..how'd she get involved? ...wow what is she doing in this situation?...wow a girl?! " I think gamers want a female's role more played out fluently...because females are considered "fragile" in most cases.

gokuofheaven

Well if that's the case the game will result in a better storyline. One that a gamer will grow attached to. That way if something happened to the character you will feel happy, sad, worried, etc. In Odin Sphere I grew attached to the characters and had those feelings. Not only does the game look stunning, but it has an amazing story. I had to keep playing to find out what will happen next. As we all know graphics don't make the game (though some say it does), in my opinion the story makes the game.

~Panda

Avatar image for AllSystemsRocks
AllSystemsRocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AllSystemsRocks
Member since 2005 • 1079 Posts

A man is more realistic in a game like RSV, Gears, GRAW or any FPS... a male character is more credible in a bad ass role ! How many real life SWAT or Navy SEALsmembers are woman a few probably but the ratio man/woman?

Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
I guess because most gamers are dudes. Basically if there's a girl in a video game, she has to be hot.
azupanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 azupanda

A man is more realistic in a game like RSV, Gears, GRAW or any FPS... a male character is more credible in a bad ass role ! How many real life SWAT or Navy SEALsmembers are woman a few probably but the ratio man/woman?

AllSystemsRocks

Though it may seem hard to believe because there are many of them, not all games are war games. There are plenty other games out there that are wayyyy better. Anyone can come up with a war game with a bummy story. Game developers have just gotten lazy. If they put in a female character that means they have to create a story.

~Panda

ikn3z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ikn3z
Member since 2003 • 586 Posts
[QUOTE="AllSystemsRocks"]

azupanda

Though it may seem hard to believe because there are many of them, not all games are war games. There are plenty other games out there that are wayyyy better. Anyone can come up with a war game with a bummy story. Game developers have just gotten lazy. If they put in a female character that means they have to create a story.

~Panda

Some people like war games. Just like how some people would prefer real girls to anime girls.

ghost5891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 ghost5891
Member since 2004 • 1296 Posts
blood rayne also has a female lead
TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheGrayEye
Member since 2006 • 2579 Posts
I perfer playing a guy, obviously because I mean, it's easier to relate to and what not. I mean it's pretty hot watching like in a movie, a girl kick ass (ex T2: Judgment day.) But because I'm a guy, I just want to relate to my character. Specifically a white guy.
dunit13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dunit13
Member since 2006 • 1103 Posts
Ya I think its kinda cool to have a female lead just because having the hard as nails, can get shot 100000000 times dude gets annoying. and wasnt there one game on the ps1 that had lesbians as the lead?
race_suace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 race_suace
Member since 2006 • 1685 Posts
u can play as a girl in pokemon
race_suace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 race_suace
Member since 2006 • 1685 Posts
o yea alicia from bullet witch
courtygurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 courtygurl
Member since 2003 • 83 Posts
I don't think I can even fathom what a female character to Gears of War would look like! There has been a lack of female leads lately on the 360. Doesn't really matter for me, even though I do enjoy playing as a female more.
Zeus_27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zeus_27
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
didnt one of the kingdom under fire games have a chick??? and theres kill bill it wasnt a game but it was super kick ass
Avatar image for icedfacekilla57
icedfacekilla57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 icedfacekilla57
Member since 2007 • 601 Posts

Wow your a guy?

anyways

I cant play lead female characters in Video Games, usually because i dont want to see them get hurt or i'll get too distracted with every portion of their body.

Bloodrayne was an exception though, good game, horrible movie.

Alpha172

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 Alpha172
Member since 2007 • 1437 Posts
Well, I play Oblivion with a female character because im half perverted and would like to try something new.

------------------------------------------------------------

Use your options wisely as they are not always available.
Avatar image for thegame27_basic
thegame27_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thegame27_basic
Member since 2002 • 1980 Posts

Jade from Beyond Good and Evil was awesome. She was a down to earth type of girl which made it that much more memorable.

Anywho, I usually play as male because I can relate to that. Also, the woman in games where you can choose between male and female, the female is usually weaker and/or their qualities are not what I look for when I play.

azupanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 azupanda

the female is usually weaker and/or their qualities are not what I look for when I play.

thegame27_basic

Ahhh yes, the female is usualy build around speed while the male characters are all about strength. I'm more of a speed type of player myself. Maybe another reason why I like playing as female characters.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference rather then "what you can relate to". No one can really relate to a guy killing aliens that come out of the ground (Gears of War) or a guy shooting monsters in the snow (Lost Planet). I mean you can relate to him because he's a guy and we all want to be the badass that saves the world, day, or girl.

Another reason that popped into my head is the fact that most people aren't used to the fact of a female doing something a male could do. Or they just don't want to think it. I read a lot of manga and watch a lot of anime so I see a lot of kick ass females. Maybe that's why I feel there should be more games with females kicking some butt. I'm used to it and not afraid of the fact that it is possible. Or the fact that the game won't be a success because of it.

Sure there are a handful you can name, but I still think there should be more. There will never be a balanced amount of male leads and female leads, but why not make more?

Maybe some people feel that a female can never save the world? Who knows. But look at Samus, no one really knew she was a girl until her helmet was removed. We were all cool with it and Samus is a badass series. If game developers are afraid that the game won't sell beacuse of a female lead, why not disguise her? XD

I'm not tryign to be sexist against males (seeing as I am one) it's just that it gets old playing as a male character day in and day out. How about a change. All games are getting far to similar these days so I think it be nice.

Wow your a guy?

icedfacekilla57

Yes. Would you like me to be something else?

~Panda

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts
dont forget jill and claire from resident evil
xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
There's Alyx from the Half-Life 2 games. Even though she's not the main character, she's still a great supporting role.
XXGamerfanXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 XXGamerfanXX
Member since 2009 • 1066 Posts
Well, I can't really judge since I didn't play much Female characters in my games, but I absolutely love Lightning's character in Final Fantasy 13. I also like Yuna on FFX, and X-2.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I personally think all games should give you the option to play either sex like the Mass Effect series, or Dragon Age.

It solves the problem of letting everyone play the sex of their choosing without changing the basic story.