Just bought HD-DVD player

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ThaSod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 ThaSod
Member since 2007 • 1207 Posts

I just bought the HD-DVD player with the idea that I could toss my old DVD player. Unfortunately there seems to be 2 problems with that- the 1st is that my 360 has to be on to use it (on and heating up). There's nothing Ican do about that unfortunately.

But the main problem is that I played a couple of old movies and they looked like crap! I thought they would actually look either better or the same, but they looked worse than my old DVD player.

Is there any way to stop this? Is this the case with every non-HD movie?

smallville206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 smallville206
Member since 2006 • 817 Posts
The noise alone from having the 360 on was enough to discourage me. I'm not sure why the video quality would be degraded on standard dvds though. Either way enjoy watching movies in HD, they are amazing, though I went Blu ray myself.
TM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TM1
Member since 2004 • 7249 Posts
I am guessing you have your 360 hooked up via component so it will not upconvert, it will be playing in 480p which is crap on an HDTV. For the sound of the 360 you must have a defective 360 because it is only loud with a disc in the drive and with the HD-DVD drive you don't use the 360 disc drive. Even if you did you should have a surround sound so you won't even hear it. I don't hear anything but the movie when i'm watching movies because i have my surround sound on.
ThaSod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ThaSod

I am guessing you have your 360 hooked up via component so it will not upconvert, it will be playing in 480p which is crap on an HDTV. For the sound of the 360 you must have a defective 360 because it is only loud with a disc in the drive and with the HD-DVD drive you don't use the 360 disc drive. Even if you did you should have a surround sound so you won't even hear it. I don't hear anything but the movie when i'm watching movies because i have my surround sound on. TM1

Hmmm yes I'm using the one where I plug in the 5 color coded cords. That's the component cable right? Is there anything I can do to get it to upconvert?

My 360 isn't loud, luckily.

Edit: Aha, so I need a VGA cable. That stinks.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

I bought the Xbox360 HD-DVD player since the day it was released and it is the best dvd type player that I have ever owned. I watch about 6 or more movies(mostly 99% being regular dvd movies) on it every week, and I have not used any of my other upconverting dvd players that I have since I bought it. The HD-DVD player has great picture and sound quality and it works perfectly even with regular dvd movies.

ThaSod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ThaSod
but it's $180 plus $40 for the cable- total $220 plus tax (so maybe $240).
TM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TM1
Member since 2004 • 7249 Posts

[QUOTE="TM1"]I am guessing you have your 360 hooked up via component so it will not upconvert, it will be playing in 480p which is crap on an HDTV. For the sound of the 360 you must have a defective 360 because it is only loud with a disc in the drive and with the HD-DVD drive you don't use the 360 disc drive. Even if you did you should have a surround sound so you won't even hear it. I don't hear anything but the movie when i'm watching movies because i have my surround sound on. ThaSod

Hmmm yes I'm using the one where I plug in the 5 color coded cords. That's the component cable right? Is there anything I can do to get it to upconvert?

My 360 isn't loud, luckily.

Edit: Aha, so I need a VGA cable. That stinks.

Yeah upconvert only works through VGA and if you have a newer 360 premium with HDMI or an Elite you can upconvert.

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
If you're going to be playing DVDs, play them on a dedicated player. Even a dirt cheap 25$ job will do a better job than the 360.
tbombrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tbombrocks
Member since 2004 • 582 Posts
I would rather use my PS3 for regular dvd's. Now I like HD-dvd's much better than blueray. Now to buy your hd dvd go to deepdiscountdvd.com you can get most under 21 dollers with free shipping.
ashuncc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ashuncc2
Member since 2004 • 886 Posts

but it's $180 plus $40 for the cable- total $220 plus tax (so maybe $240).ThaSod

The hd dvd player will upconvert using either a VGA or HDMI.

masprague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 masprague
Member since 2006 • 614 Posts

[QUOTE="ThaSod"]but it's $180 plus $40 for the cable- total $220 plus tax (so maybe $240).ashuncc2

The hd dvd player will upconvert using either a VGA or HDMI.

So lets say I just go out and buy the HDDVD drive....and I have one of the premiums with HDMI, will I need the VGA cord, or will a HDMI cord be just fine??

DurhamNC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 DurhamNC
Member since 2006 • 1139 Posts
The HDMI will be fine. Either VGA or HDMI will upconvert -- you just can't through analogue cables, is all. It's a feature of DVD security/license, blah, blah.
SEleazer_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SEleazer_basic
Member since 2003 • 565 Posts
for regular DVD, use your xbox. Not sure if it is an upconvert or not, but usually my XBox look better than any DVD player i have at the moment.
ThaSod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ThaSod

All of the other HD-DVD players cost at least twice as much as the Xbox one. Blu-Ray is the same way.

I guess I will wait for the price to drop.