is it me or the GOW3 story seems like the halo story

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aliaslam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 aliaslam
Member since 2005 • 95 Posts

humans v. locust v. the lambert = humans v. covenents v. the flood.. anybody find this weird

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
thats a very loose affiliation
kaze347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 kaze347
Member since 2006 • 1270 Posts

I've seen a lot of people make this connection. It seems similar but I dont know, it could play out different, maybe? Idk. I'm not a huge GOW fan and I only followed parts of Halo.

LightColor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LightColor
Member since 2006 • 2709 Posts
how is this weird? how r they alike? just because they have 3 different sides fighting each other?
kaze347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kaze347
Member since 2006 • 1270 Posts

Because they start out as a war between two factions and another one randomly shows up. The planet is endangered if anyone but the humans win (kind of).

VALikimlav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VALikimlav
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
For a second I thought you meant God of War. But yeah, even if you did mean God of War, it follows this same pattern too. First against Ares, then against all the others who initially helped. Gears seems to be not too sure where they want to go with the idea.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

No, it is more like StarCraft.

scratch that, it is more like the traditional Chinese three kingdom story.

magicalclick
thats the game i was thinking of haha
Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts

not really :P....

PostNothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PostNothing
Member since 2009 • 325 Posts
I haven't played any halo game, and GeOW3 isn't out yet, so I think just because there're 3 fronts in both games doesn't mean they're alike.
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

humans v. locust v. the lambert = humans v. covenents v. the flood.. anybody find this weird

aliaslam
I love this lol I've been waiting for a halo fan to draw this comparison and act as if halo's being ripped off for quite a while! I hate to burst your bubble mate but halo's story isnt being ripped off or copied in anyway nor is it particularly original. The story line you describe (and variations of it) is a pretty typical sci-fi story line. Its like how JRPG's tend to revolve around the world being in danger from an evil empire and only a group of completely unrelated heroes band up to undertake a journey to save the world. Its the same with a lot of sci-fi (from games to a LOT of novels) in that humanity, centuries in the future has established itself across the galaxy and then an evil alien race pops along and humanity has to fight for its very existance. And its quite common that about mid way through these story lines a third faction pops up (especially in games). If more halo fans were to read more sci-fi novels (and even more sci-fi games) they'd see this story line popping up and being retold over and over again. All halo and gears of war are doing is using this template like most other sci-fi's.
SSBMFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 97

#12 SSBMFighter
Member since 2005 • 3797 Posts
[QUOTE="penpusher"][QUOTE="aliaslam"]

I love this lol I've been waiting for a halo fan to draw this comparison and act as if halo's being ripped off for quite a while! I hate to burst your bubble mate but halo's story isnt being ripped off or copied in anyway nor is it particularly original. The story line you describe (and variations of it) is a pretty typical sci-fi story line. Its like how JRPG's tend to revolve around the world being in danger from an evil empire and only a group of completely unrelated heroes band up to undertake a journey to save the world. Its the same with a lot of sci-fi (from games to a LOT of novels) in that humanity, centuries in the future has established itself across the galaxy and then an evil alien race pops along and humanity has to fight for its very existance. And its quite common that about mid way through these story lines a third faction pops up (especially in games). If more halo fans were to read more sci-fi novels (and even more sci-fi games) they'd see this story line popping up and being retold over and over again. All halo and gears of war are doing is using this template like most other sci-fi's.

Someone wasn't loved enough as a child...But he's right.
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
[QUOTE="SSBMFighter"][QUOTE="penpusher"][QUOTE="aliaslam"]

Someone wasn't loved enough as a child...But he's right.

nothing quite so dramatic lol I just find it amusing when halo fans act as if halo is original (I'm a halo fan myself but you know ...)
laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

the stories are extremely similar if you look at it, but i personally like gears better

stealthedhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 stealthedhawk
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts
it is a bit like that
stealthedhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 stealthedhawk
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts
apart from the fact that there two completely different games
lil_zelda_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#17 lil_zelda_dude
Member since 2006 • 1291 Posts
The lambent were formed from locust?? Ohh I just really dont feel like justifying this to someone like him!
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#18 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I don't care if they're alike. It's still gonna be amazing. :D
EzraMajor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EzraMajor
Member since 2009 • 175 Posts

I don't see why the lambent and the locust can't just get along.. Same with the Elites and the rest of the Covenant. The stories similarities seem to end at the vs-vs-vs aspect to me. In Gears they're all fighting over resources and in Halo I assume they are having a religious feud of sorts, never got that in to Halo tho..

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
i dont know, i just hope they dont have stupid lil bug like enemies like halo did with the flood, i hate those kinds of things the most, from the end of the trailer tho it looked like they will :(
aliaslam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aliaslam
Member since 2005 • 95 Posts

haha kind of stereotypical of u to think im a halo fan. im a gamer n i just noticed a similarity between the 2 game's story taking that both games are for the 360 exclusive.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
thats a very loose affiliationchaoscougar1
And it makes no sense at all.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#23 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
-Gears of War takes place on one planet. Halo takes place on multiple planets, ships and derelict, ancient, alien structures. -The Locust are largely uncivilised, their motives are unknown and likely native to Sera. The Covenant are a collection of alien races with a clear social structure, ranks and motivation. -The technology in Gears isn't much more advanced than out own and in some ways much less so. In Halo it's clearly far superior to our own. In Gears the Locust mostly use weapons the procured from the CoG. In Halo The Covenant use technology they reverse engineered from an extinct alien civilazation thats far superior to what humanity has. - Humanity in Gears is at the brink of extinction with only thousands remaining. In Halo while things are desperate there are still literally planets of people left. -In Halo there are many instances where some factions of the Covenant and humanity worked together. The same can't be said of the Locust and humanity in Gears. There are very few similarities between Gears and Halo aside from stuff you could find in alot of other games such as guns and multiple factions.
TheMightyHoov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheMightyHoov
Member since 2009 • 2459 Posts

Not at all. Thats a very loose affiliation. The only similarity is that there are 3 factions.....it ends there

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

Not at all. Thats a very loose affiliation. The only similarity is that there are 3 factions.....it ends there

TheMightyHoov
really...i disagree, if you actually pay attention to the plot (and im not accusing you of not, just most people skipped all the cutscenes in halo) you can see the stoy lines are very similar, and they are both published by microsoft, so you kinda have to get an idea there
PristmaticTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PristmaticTaco
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Strange enemy invades and takes a chunk out of human forces. Humans end the war with themselves to take up arms against new enemy. Enemy gets the upper hand and begins to hunt humanity to very small numbers. OH NOES ENEMY UNLEASHES SUPER-WEAPONS. Dramatic lucky break occurs and humans begin to gain the upper hand. Things get slightly worse but don't worry, CIVIL WAR WITHIN ENEMIES' RANKS. Also, zombie plants.