Is it me, or is Gears of War a copy of Resident Evil 4 with a bad storyline?

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
it's just you.. man, did you even play one of these games`??????
Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts
yea it's just u
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#53 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Hell to the no, resi 4 was far better IMO.death1505921

Agreed....vastly better in every aspect. The only thing Gears has on RE4 is graphics (even though RE4's graphics are nothing to sneer at.) and online....that is it. RE4 is a superior game in every other regard.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#54 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts
It's just yourbrown3
yeah the game had completely different style of weapons
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
[QUOTE="MentatAssassin"]

[QUOTE="death1505921"]Mentat, you havn't completed/played resi 4 have you?death1505921

Nope and until it comes to the xbox or 360 I guess I never will.

Then GTFO.

Mabye he hasnt but I surly have and Resi 4 is nothing like Gears of War.......same camera view? please....

Gears of War is simply better than Resi 4, it doesnt stand a chance....with that being said, Resi 4 is still one of the greatest games out there...

JMaster985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 JMaster985
Member since 2005 • 28 Posts
It isn't just you! I believe too! In some perverted and greedy conspiracy to make a great game, the disgusting developers of GoW took good ideas from great games to make another great game! How dare they! You sir are onto something! Its time to blow the lid right off of this thing! I envy you sir! How you were able to see through this deception blows my mind! Incredible, here the rest of the professional gaming world was sitting around giving it good reviews, while you were deep in an investigation to uncover the truth! Bravo!
weggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 weggles
Member since 2005 • 281 Posts
There really is no story... they don't explain much of anyhting like why Phenix is in jail, and why the Trial was a sham, why the Locust attack, what HAD happened to Alpha Squad, MANY things just hinted at... =/
Illidan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Illidan311
Member since 2003 • 500 Posts
i thought that some of the music sounded ripped off of older movies while playing
RaptorVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 RaptorVenom
Member since 2006 • 561 Posts
Hey guys, you know that new racing game, it's justa rip-off of that last racing game. Also, I can totally see the similarities between Gears of War & Super Mario Bros., what a rip-off. You'd think Gears could have been more original. J/K
PacBoy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 PacBoy23
Member since 2004 • 9505 Posts
its you it takes some things from RE4 but is much different i personally probably liked RE4 sp better but gears has online and online co op
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#61 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts
[QUOTE="death1505921"][QUOTE="MentatAssassin"]

[QUOTE="death1505921"]Mentat, you havn't completed/played resi 4 have you?jointed

Then GTFO.

Mabye he hasnt but I surly have and Resi 4 is nothing like Gears of War.......same camera view? please....

Gears of War is simply better than Resi 4, it doesnt stand a chance....with that being said, Resi 4 is still one of the greatest games out there...

Thank you. I my not have played RE4 but since it's the most over hyped game of the decade. I've seen enough and read enough about the game to know that it doesnt even come close to GeoW gameplay or graphics. Or can you blind fire in RE4...I didnt think so. Nuff said.

MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#62 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

It isn't just you! I believe too! In some perverted and greedy conspiracy to make a great game, the disgusting developers of GoW took good ideas from great games to make another great game! How dare they! You sir are onto something! Its time to blow the lid right off of this thing! I envy you sir! How you were able to see through this deception blows my mind! Incredible, here the rest of the professional gaming world was sitting around giving it good reviews, while you were deep in an investigation to uncover the truth! Bravo!JMaster985

Ownage Approved.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#63 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
Its just you. Having a good story definitely doesn't hurt but as countless games have shown its not necessary. Gears has the makings for a great story, it just wasn't developed during the actual gameplay. Hopefully they will be able to fix that in the sequel while still giving the same rush.
Bladecutter56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64 Bladecutter56
Member since 2006 • 2081 Posts

1) Its not Lava, its imulsion(sp?).

2) So what if it has a over-the-shoulder view? There have been games with that view before Resident Evil 4.

3) You can't move while you aim in Resident Evil 4.

4) You can't strafe or dodge in Resident Evil 4.

5) The troll in RE4 only comes back up out of the lava if you get close to it after you drop him in. Even then, he grabs you and drags you in with him. I have yet to see a corpser drag me in to imulsion.

6) The mechanics are too different to warrant a valid comparison.

7) Yes, Gears had a bad storyline. Resident Evil 4 had a decent one.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

Hell na !!! Resident Evil 4 is far better than gears , i mean the story , pacing, characters the gameplay and the graphics for when it came out blew me away, ive beat this game about four times. With Gears beat it once sure the graphics are awesome but there is something missing and its to repetitive.

nemocystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 nemocystem
Member since 2005 • 70 Posts

about as much as Ratchet & Clank is a rehash of Super Mario Bros. or Banjo & Kazooie, or Oddworld for Xbox.  get over yourselves.  sounds like more trolling to me...that or your just to vain to accept the fact that 90% of the games you play & love are all rehashes or redux's of something that's already been done before.  do you look at a Monet the same as any other impressionist artwork?  i mean...they're all just copying whoever was the first impressionist painter right? there's no originality there, the story in Starry Night sucks...it seems like it's going nowhere.  the blends don't look as good as they do in Sunflowers or Lilys. 

everything must be looked at contextually for it to be understood closest to the original intent.  two completely different games with similar gimmicks & cinematic sequences does not make one more or less "original" than the other.  it simply makes them "feel" similar in style.  to say they are the same is to say you are the same as me...i mean, after all i have two arms, you have two legs, two eyes...etc.  i guess it's the brain or personality that makes us different.  one could say the "content" of a human being versus the "content" of a video game.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

I just remembered something isnt Gears of War a rippoff of Freedom Fighters ?

Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
That's where the online comes in.
nemocystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 nemocystem
Member since 2005 • 70 Posts
no...it's Freedom Wrighters...c'mon, get it right...sheesh!
JMaster985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 JMaster985
Member since 2005 • 28 Posts
RE4 and GoW aren't even in the same genre. Both are great games in their own right, and if you disagree then thats your own opinion, and an opinion that no one cares about. Why? Because the opinions of the people that other people care about, (Gamespot, IGN, GI etc.) think they are both great games and in totally different genres. So give it a rest. The OP is an idiot. Along with the people who agree with him.

Survival Horror vs. Sci-fi shooter....wtf.
ELJUDEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ELJUDEZ
Member since 2004 • 7389 Posts
It's you.
menduco76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#72 menduco76
Member since 2006 • 650 Posts

I mean, it was fun and all playing through it...but it's not the kind of game that you look back on in 5 years and think, "wow, that game was great..." I guess the multiplayer is fun, but without a good storyline, a game can't really pull you in as much.  Just my 2 cents.subject117

Is it me?  Or are you just a lowly troll??  Yes I ALSO read the article on 1up.com where the interviewer asked Cliffy B. about the references to Resident Evil 4 in GOW.  THATS where you get that comparison from.  At least TRY to be original.

Its funny how people read an article and then say "oh yeah!".  No one has EVER made that comparison in these forums before....i bet most people havent even thought about it, even you.  So please stop wasting our time with your meaningless threads.

eddy5791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 eddy5791
Member since 2004 • 986 Posts
There really is no story... they don't explain much of anyhting like why Phenix is in jail, and why the Trial was a sham, why the Locust attack, what HAD happened to Alpha Squad, MANY things just hinted at... =/weggles
well accoridng to wiki, the setting is Sera not Earth. the locust attacked tot ake over Sera for domination as over years they had settled under the bedrock of major cities.on " Emergence Day" they attacked each major cities and the reason not everybody was killed was becuase a bedrock in Sera would not allow locust tunnels to carve through. hence, why many soldiers retreated there. And marcus got 40 years of jail cuz he denied orders in the midst of battles to save his father(which he did not do i believe). more info over at wiki. or maybe more will b revealed in GEars of War 2.
miguelpaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 miguelpaco
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="death1505921"][QUOTE="MentatAssassin"]

[QUOTE="death1505921"]Mentat, you havn't completed/played resi 4 have you?MentatAssassin

Then GTFO.

Thank you. I my not have played RE4 but since it's the most over hyped game of the decade. I've seen enough and read enough about the game to know that it doesnt even come close to GeoW gameplay or graphics. Or can you blind fire in RE4...I didnt think so. Nuff said.

again, your opinion doesnt matter, youve never played it, RE4 is way better than Gears, its the 4th highest ranked game of all time, Gears is 15th
eddy5791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 eddy5791
Member since 2004 • 986 Posts
[QUOTE="MentatAssassin"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="death1505921"][QUOTE="MentatAssassin"]

[QUOTE="death1505921"]Mentat, you havn't completed/played resi 4 have you?miguelpaco

Then GTFO.

Thank you. I my not have played RE4 but since it's the most over hyped game of the decade. I've seen enough and read enough about the game to know that it doesnt even come close to GeoW gameplay or graphics. Or can you blind fire in RE4...I didnt think so. Nuff said.

again, your opinion doesnt matter, youve never played it, RE4 is way better than Gears, its the 4th highest ranked game of all time, Gears is 15th

What chart are you looking at? BEcuase according to gamespot's all time, GEars is currently listed as #17 and RE4 #19. And in all fairness to gamespot posters, i think you should go by their chart. And btw, i side with gears. RE is too slow paced for me.
jc_tkml

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#76 jc_tkml
Member since 2005 • 1172 Posts
I mean, it was fun and all playing through it...but it's not the kind of game that you look back on in 5 years and think, "wow, that game was great..." I guess the multiplayer is fun, but without a good storyline, a game can't really pull you in as much. Just my 2 cents.subject117
there should be a poll about this cos it's just you
miguelpaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 miguelpaco
[QUOTE="miguelpaco"][QUOTE="MentatAssassin"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="death1505921"][QUOTE="MentatAssassin"]

[QUOTE="death1505921"]Mentat, you havn't completed/played resi 4 have you?eddy5791

Then GTFO.

What chart are you looking at? BEcuase according to gamespot's all time, GEars is currently listed as #17 and RE4 #19. And in all fairness to gamespot posters, i think you should go by their chart. And btw, i side with gears. RE is too slow paced for me.

gamerankings.com, it takes all reviews from credible sources and compiles them...way more accurate then one possibly biased source
miguelpaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 miguelpaco
crap i was off, RE4 is 4th all time, Gears is 33rd
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts
As stated many times before in this thread. I'm thinking it's just you. 
Santas_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#80 Santas_Hitman
Member since 2004 • 1003 Posts
While I wouldn't make the comparison to RE4, you would be entirely correct in saying that GoW is just a copy of most 3rd person shooters. Funny how when GoW came out ppl were like "OMG a shooter in 3rd person, that has never been done before!'. GoW isn't really unique except for the fact that the graphics are good. And yes there wasn't really any story. Its one of those games that will be forgotten once other more graphical games come out.
Truvietplaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Truvietplaya
Member since 2003 • 659 Posts

[QUOTE="subject117"]I mean, it was fun and all playing through it...but it's not the kind of game that you look back on in 5 years and think, "wow, that game was great..." I guess the multiplayer is fun, but without a good storyline, a game can't really pull you in as much.  Just my 2 cents.Solid_Snake7287
RE 4 are you insane? sure RE 4 was good but to compare it to Gears is one of the dumbest statements ever made.

He didn't compare the two games overall. He just compared the story. I guess this isn't a dumb statement as yours. And I think FPS game doesn't really focus on the story that much. But Condemned and FEAR is good.

penguindude24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82 penguindude24
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
i agree
Fear123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Fear123456
Member since 2004 • 108 Posts
hey I hope the original dude that posted this will read this b/c I totaly agree with you. The first time I played the game I thought it was a lot like RE4. It had a lot of the key elements that made that game successful. RE4 and throw some ghost recon together and make it more fast pace and you have gears.  And also to the person who made this post dude several people that I have talked to on live have said the same thing, keep rockin
AP11689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 AP11689
Member since 2006 • 196 Posts
Definitely just you...
kx6593

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 kx6593
Member since 2004 • 1598 Posts
RE4 doesn't have a story either...
Pit_italy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Pit_italy
Member since 2005 • 965 Posts

I mean, it was fun and all playing through it...but it's not the kind of game that you look back on in 5 years and think, "wow, that game was great..." I guess the multiplayer is fun, but without a good storyline, a game can't really pull you in as much.  Just my 2 cents.subject117

damn im used to read this kind of threads but i really didnt expect this from a level 30 with more than 4k posts! I may see your point if you didnt came out with such a lame comparison.. u make me think you either havent ever played gears or RE4 or both.

stealthrodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#87 stealthrodent
Member since 2003 • 1508 Posts
LOL, resident evil....haha wtf.
Pit_italy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Pit_italy
Member since 2005 • 965 Posts

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake7287"][QUOTE="subject117"]I mean, it was fun and all playing through it...but it's not the kind of game that you look back on in 5 years and think, "wow, that game was great..." I guess the multiplayer is fun, but without a good storyline, a game can't really pull you in as much.  Just my 2 cents.Truvietplaya

RE 4 are you insane? sure RE 4 was good but to compare it to Gears is one of the dumbest statements ever made.

He didn't compare the two games overall. He just compared the story. I guess this isn't a dumb statement as yours. And I think FPS game doesn't really focus on the story that much. But Condemned and FEAR is good.

I instead guess you cant read at all. The title of the topic is " is it me, or is Gears of War a copy of RE4 with a bad storyline?". So basically hes saying the games are the same but Gears has a bad storyline. Hes not comparing the stories at all, actually in his opinion the story is the only difference. Damn dude you wanted to act smart but you ended up doin the second dumbest statement ever made.

mpattni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 mpattni
Member since 2005 • 578 Posts

It's just yourbrown3

what he said

OGTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 OGTool
Member since 2006 • 87 Posts

rip off game. gow a hype driven bill gates money machine.F1sTDaCuffS

ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finally I'm not the only person who thought thats as well

ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts

cliffty b said right out that RE4 was an influence on the game.  is it a ripoff, i don't think so at all.    Thats like saying that dead or alive is a ripoff on tekken because you punch and kick people in similar ways in each game.

Jaclarks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#92 Jaclarks
Member since 2005 • 522 Posts
It's just yourbrown3
ditto
h4yabusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 h4yabusa
Member since 2005 • 879 Posts

i love the fact that people are posting "it's just you" when clearly there are people on this board are posting similar opinions

resident evil 4 is by far the more complete package, but Gears is a good game, but not a great one

_Cab0ose87_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 _Cab0ose87_
Member since 2006 • 1002 Posts

"What happened to the days of 15-25 hour single player campaigns? Now it's like 6 to 10."

Not only that but they cost a lot more....

The_Chronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 The_Chronicle
Member since 2005 • 852 Posts
the presidents daughter is kidnapped and you have to fight monsters to save her. RE4 is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, but thats a bad storyline.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 bybeach
Member since 2003 • 191 Posts
What plot?? GoW had something in mind,yes.You could see the spaces/sequences that were developed for it for it. But,pretty awkward, they refused to put that content in ,it seemed to me. I do think theres going to be a sequel,and a big plot twist. But it`s like,in this first game, they didn`t,or could not, figure out how to present it. Came off a little weak(for an otherwise excellent game).
Avatar image for serenityveteran
serenityveteran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#97 serenityveteran
Member since 2006 • 316 Posts
[QUOTE="Solid_Snake7287"][QUOTE="subject117"]I mean, it was fun and all playing through it...but it's not the kind of game that you look back on in 5 years and think, "wow, that game was great..." I guess the multiplayer is fun, but without a good storyline, a game can't really pull you in as much. Just my 2 cents.wreak

why? there are so many things in gears that are a blatent rip off of resident evil 4.

I think you'll find that the term is 'homage'... Cliffy B has stated that RE4 was an influence. That doesn't make it a rip-off.