is a score of 10 really "perfect"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#1 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts

i don't think so, and gamers make these ridiculous claims that Gamespot thinks it's perfect.

RipaX21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 RipaX21
Member since 2005 • 1675 Posts

nothing is perfect, plain and simple. When rating things though you have to say at some point "yeah this is as good as its gonna get" otherwise there will be no endcap.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

10.0: Prime. This exceedingly rare score refers to a game that is as perfect as a game can aspire to be at its time of release. Obviously, the constantly changing standards for technology and gameplay will probably make this game obsolete some day, but at its time of release, a game earning this score could not have been improved upon in any meaningful way.

There you go. That's what a 10 means here at GameSpot and after reading that I now dissagree with the 10 GTA IV got. That game, even at release, could have been inproved on in some meaningful ways.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#5 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts

10.0: PrimeThis exceedingly rare score refers to a game that is as perfect as a game can aspire to be at its time of release. Obviously, the constantly changing standards for technology and gameplay will probably make this game obsolete some day, but at its time of release, a game earning this score could not have been improved upon in any meaningful way.9.0-9.5: SuperbWe absolutely recommend any game in this range, especially to fans of that particular genre. However, games that score in the 9 range are also typically well suited to new players. Games that earn 9s are naturally uncommon, and earn GameSpot's Editors' Choice Award for their outstanding quality.8.0-8.5: GreatThis range refers to great games that are excellent in almost every way and whose few setbacks probably aren't too important. We highly recommend games in the upper half of this range, since they tend to be good enough to provide an enjoyable experience to fans of the particular genre and to new players alike.7.0-7.5: GoodA game within this range is good overall, and likely worth playing by fans of the particular genre or by those otherwise interested. While its strengths outweigh its weaknesses, a game that falls in this range tends to have noticeable faults.6.0-6.5: FairGames that earn 6-range ratings have certain good qualities but significant problems as well. These games may well be worth playing, but you should approach them with caution.5.0-5.5: MediocreA 5-range score refers to a game that's "merely average" in the negative sense. These games tend to have enough major weaknesses to considerably outweigh their strengths. There's probably a substantially better, similar game out there for you.4.0-4.5: PoorGames that just don't work right and maybe didn't spend enough time in production tend to fall in to this category. They simply lack the cohesion and quality that make other games fun.3.0-3.5: BadYou probably shouldn't get too close to a game in this range. Any of its positive qualities most likely serve only to make the rest of it seem even more disappointing.2.0-2.5: TerribleBeware, for a game in this range is almost entirely devoid of any remotely decent or fully functional features.1.0-1.5: AbysmalOuch. The rare game that falls in this lowest-of-the-low range has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Don't play this game.

There you go. That's what all the scores mean here at GameSpot.

PlasmaBeam44
This exceedingly rare score refers to a game that is as perfect as a game can aspire to be at its time of release" this doesn't actually mean it's a perfect game

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

[QUOTE="PlasmaBeam44"]10.0: PrimeThis exceedingly rare score refers to a game that is as perfect as a game can aspire to be at its time of release. Obviously, the constantly changing standards for technology and gameplay will probably make this game obsolete some day, but at its time of release, a game earning this score could not have been improved upon in any meaningful way.9.0-9.5: SuperbWe absolutely recommend any game in this range, especially to fans of that particular genre. However, games that score in the 9 range are also typically well suited to new players. Games that earn 9s are naturally uncommon, and earn GameSpot's Editors' Choice Award for their outstanding quality.8.0-8.5: GreatThis range refers to great games that are excellent in almost every way and whose few setbacks probably aren't too important. We highly recommend games in the upper half of this range, since they tend to be good enough to provide an enjoyable experience to fans of the particular genre and to new players alike.7.0-7.5: GoodA game within this range is good overall, and likely worth playing by fans of the particular genre or by those otherwise interested. While its strengths outweigh its weaknesses, a game that falls in this range tends to have noticeable faults.6.0-6.5: FairGames that earn 6-range ratings have certain good qualities but significant problems as well. These games may well be worth playing, but you should approach them with caution.5.0-5.5: MediocreA 5-range score refers to a game that's "merely average" in the negative sense. These games tend to have enough major weaknesses to considerably outweigh their strengths. There's probably a substantially better, similar game out there for you.4.0-4.5: PoorGames that just don't work right and maybe didn't spend enough time in production tend to fall in to this category. They simply lack the cohesion and quality that make other games fun.3.0-3.5: BadYou probably shouldn't get too close to a game in this range. Any of its positive qualities most likely serve only to make the rest of it seem even more disappointing.2.0-2.5: TerribleBeware, for a game in this range is almost entirely devoid of any remotely decent or fully functional features.1.0-1.5: AbysmalOuch. The rare game that falls in this lowest-of-the-low range has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Don't play this game.

There you go. That's what all the scores mean here at GameSpot.

MaddenBowler10

This exceedingly rare score refers to a game that is as perfect as a game can aspire to be at its time of release" this doesn't actually mean it's a perfect game

Lol, I fixed my post. I clicked submit and it all mashed together in a huge mess.

AustXilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 AustXilo
Member since 2007 • 904 Posts

It has long been known that GameSpot receives money to boost the scores of games and to trash other games.

See my sig for info on how to get real reviews.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

i consider gamespot's reviews to be as useful as monoploy money

rhinows22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 rhinows22
Member since 2005 • 32 Posts

Perfection is unattainable, 'nuff said.

xL33TxTALENTx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 xL33TxTALENTx
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts
C'mon, they gave GTA 4 a 10/10!? Perfect?! No way...meconate
I totally agree, I would have given it a 7 at best
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
There is no perfect game. And I think 10 shouldn't mean perfect. Reviewers should give out 10's when games just are that good. Otherwise 10 will become an unachievable milestone that becomes pointless in the progress.
Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
[QUOTE="meconate"]C'mon, they gave GTA 4 a 10/10!? Perfect?! No way...xL33TxTALENTx
I totally agree, I would have given it a 7 at best

Why?
Toxic8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#14 Toxic8
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

Like most other people I think that no game made,or ever made will truly be perfect.They all have little flaws in them,it's just the games that get a 10 have very few.

reptilerat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 reptilerat
Member since 2008 • 101 Posts

i don't think so, and gamers make these ridiculous claims that Gamespot thinks it's perfect.

MaddenBowler10

if it was perfect there would be no reason for future games

perfect is unwanted in my case because there would be no reason to experiance new things

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
Well, when something gets a 10 what does that even mean? Does that mean the game surpasses genre boundries? I know a lot of people that only like RPG's, if you told them a FPS is a 10, "You HAVE to play it!" I bet they would probably disagree... So right there you have to question what the 10 even means, is it a 10 for the target audience? industry? or what? To me a 10 means the person giving the score is really really happy about their purchase and they like it a lot for whatever reason they say in the text of their review (no text, no context, who knows what the 10 means)... if it is coming from a professional site a 10 means they got advertising money with it.