Installing xbox 360 games on hard drive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DbzJohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 DbzJohno
Member since 2010 • 283 Posts

When you install a game in the hard drive of an xbox 360, Even thou you have to keep the game in the drive, Does the xbox still read the disks?

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Yes, but only when you boot the game up. Though if you try and eject it after loading the game, it'll still quit back to the dashboard as if you were playing off the disc.
l0ner_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 l0ner_1
Member since 2003 • 353 Posts

The only served purpose of downloading a game to the hard drive, is to save on the wear and tear of your Disc drive on the xbox. Though, typically that is one of the last things that will go out on the system, I find it a waste of hard drive space. If you happened to have one of the new systems with the 250gig hard drive, you may consider this to raise the life exptancy. Yes, you still need the disc. No way around it unless you mod your xbox.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

The only served purpose of downloading a game to the hard drive, is to save on the wear and tear of your Disc drive on the xbox. Though, typically that is one of the last things that will go out on the system, I find it a waste of hard drive space. If you happened to have one of the new systems with the 250gig hard drive, you may consider this to raise the life exptancy. Yes, you still need the disc. No way around it unless you mod your xbox.

l0ner_1
I don't really care about wearing down my disc drive, but I find the decrease in noise more than worth an install.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
I don't see space being an issue with installing a game because once you finish playing a game, just uninstall it to free that space up. If I know I'm going to be all in on a game for a couple of weeks, then I'll install it. If I'm just popping in a disc for a quick game, then I probably won't install.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

This topic made me smile thinking:

"Are Micro$oft that dumb to let me buy a used or even a new game, install it and then get my money back for it but still play the game?" :)

We are talking about Micro"MakeMoneyOFFEverything"Soft...:) not Wendy's

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts

"Are Micro$oft that dumb to let me buy a used or even a new game, install it and then get my money back for it but still play the game?" :)

EvilSelf
Come on, this was the first question asked when we first gained the ability to install games to the hard drive. They aren't so stupid to allow people to install games and then play them without the disc. This is why the disc is required to be in the tray in order to play.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#8 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

DJ_Magneto

Come on, this was the first question asked when we first gained the ability to install games to the hard drive. They aren't so stupid to allow people to install games and then play them without the disc. This is why the disc is required to be in the tray in order to play.

I know i know. I wasn't bashing or anything, i mean i myself asked that same very question and got the same "smart" answer. I just said it is funny to think that M$ can allow it. Other than that it is a valid question no objections whatsoever.

Jeff_Boldt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jeff_Boldt
Member since 2006 • 867 Posts

Actually, especially if you have an older model 360, installing your games is one of the best things you can do to prevent hardware failure. Most of the time failures are caused by excess heat, most of us think this heat comes from just poor placement of the 360, or dust clogging ventilation, however the disc drive is actually the largest source of heat in the 360 itsel. The constant spinning of the drive combined with light friction as the disc spins can generate a massive amount of heat inside the box, so the best way to safeguard your hardware is to have your disc drive spin as little as possible, making installing your games a super smart thing to do. On top of that, installing games cuts down on loading times and noise from the system, it's a win-win-win.

Solidskei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Solidskei
Member since 2010 • 124 Posts
This may seem off topic but when you download games are the graphics not as good as disk bought games?
merv_wasted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 merv_wasted
Member since 2010 • 290 Posts

Actually, especially if you have an older model 360, installing your games is one of the best things you can do to prevent hardware failure. Most of the time failures are caused by excess heat, most of us think this heat comes from just poor placement of the 360, or dust clogging ventilation, however the disc drive is actually the largest source of heat in the 360 itsel. The constant spinning of the drive combined with light friction as the disc spins can generate a massive amount of heat inside the box, so the best way to safeguard your hardware is to have your disc drive spin as little as possible, making installing your games a super smart thing to do. On top of that, installing games cuts down on loading times and noise from the system, it's a win-win-win.

Jeff_Boldt

Makes sense ;)

merv_wasted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 merv_wasted
Member since 2010 • 290 Posts

This may seem off topic but when you download games are the graphics not as good as disk bought games?Solidskei

NO..its still the same.

Solidskei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Solidskei
Member since 2010 • 124 Posts
Okay good.
l0ner_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 l0ner_1
Member since 2003 • 353 Posts
This may seem off topic but when you download games are the graphics not as good as disk bought games?Solidskei
That made me LOL.