If we didn't pay for Live...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts

... would you purchase more content from the XBL Marketplace? I, for one, sure would. If that $50 fee was waived, I would probably buy much more arcade games, and perhaps even Xbox Originals and movies. I'm curious to see how others feel also, since if they did happen to make it free (which, probably will never happen), all the content purchases may offset the cost of Live itself. So, what are your thoughts and comments?

PS: This is not a "XBL should be free" thread - just using it hypothetically.

funkyeyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 funkyeyk
Member since 2005 • 404 Posts

Probably not.

You can get 12 months for $30-$40 in different sales. And I look at it as though Xbox Live is necessary, while spending points is extra. With free live, spending points would still be extra to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
i'd like that. it's also rediculous that you have to pay for themes and gamerpics. i understand arcade games and all, but i just want my gamerpics.
j3v1zzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 j3v1zzle
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts
I'd rather like it the other way around. I'd pay for Xbox Live but I would want free Marketplace downloads.
ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 ukillwegrill
Member since 2007 • 3528 Posts
Id like to thin so,but i doubt i would,id just p**s the money up the wall (as they say)
Ericson4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ericson4292
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I'm not really against paying for the xboxlive service because it works perfectly for me... Paying for themes, pics, extra game content is what i'm not a fan of... i mean, if you want the new maps,cars, missions why do you have to pay for it?...
silentlord833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silentlord833
Member since 2007 • 1336 Posts

I don't know, I didn't have any problem paying for live for a long time (I've had it for just about 4 years) lately though, there seems to be more and more problems, and IMO, for the revenue that MS gets for this, they should have people they pay be able to anticipate things like ooh I don't know increased traffic at the holiday season????

as far as would I buy more if it were a free service with pay add ons, nope. I barely buy anything now, and I don't see that changing in the future.

Also as someone stated about maps and add ons for purchase, remember most of the game add ons become free after a certain amount of time. so theres that....

FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

Xbox Live is a ripoff because the service is laggy.

After my year runs out I am not going to renew. I found a secret site that allows me to have infinite 48 Hour Trials.

I have like 70 or so on a word file. So it's safe to say I know what I'm doing.

As far as purchasing more stuff off of Marketplace....

Marketplace sucks. I'm not going to pay for ****ing gamerpics or themes. That is just STUPID.

Halo 3 maps for $10? **** that!!! Those maps are garbage.

:P

ZodiacVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZodiacVII
Member since 2003 • 73 Posts

The amount we pay for Live is so tiny that I don't understand why people complain about it; not saying that the original poster was complaining. As for downloading more content if the service was free, I think this is a moot point. Content itself would cost more to balance off the free service, therefor people might actually download LESS in the end.

Everything has a price for a reason. People out there create gamerpictures and themes, and they want to get paid for them. Companies also want to make money off of these creations; we are in a capitalist world and this is not going to change until the next revolution.

Either war, Live is a great service and I will pay the service fee with a smile on my face. To answer the question though, I wouldn't download more. I'm picky with the downloads I make, I don't feel it necissary to throw my money away on content that won't truly enhance my experience with a certain title or my experience with my 360 in general.

Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts

Alright, I've gotten some good answers so far. Just a few things to clear up: I don't mind paying $50 for Live per year at all, but if I didn't pay it, I'd be less bitter in buying things such as Arcade games and movie rentals. Charging for gamerpics and themes - well, that's an entirely new topic on its own (being such a complete rip-off). Furthermore, I want everyone to assume that the prices for the content will be exactly as they are today. And finally, this question doesn't centralize (although it could) around the idea of game-specific content, such as maps and "goodies" - solely content accessible through the dashboard. Also note that there would still be free merchandise including demos and a few themes.

Very mixed points of view from everyone (at time of posting): 5/8/5; Yes/No/Maybe - respectively.

Dreski83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#11 Dreski83
Member since 2003 • 1104 Posts

No.

Having a free service won't encourage me to buy stuff I hardly want any more. What sucks about actually buying stuff is you have to have the memory for it, which means either buying a 120gb memory unit or deleting/re-downloading stuff to manage space...

With hardware issues still around, DL content goes to sh!t if you RR, so I rather keep it light on what I buy thru LiVE, at a fee or free.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
xbox live should not be free, but granted if we do pay for it i would not like live to 'break' on me for a few weeks and get a dud arcade game as a repayment. i think the fee is fare for the amount of time you get, its less than $2 a week
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I dont mind paying for Xbox live at all, but I would like free access to arcade games, gamer pics and themes, and Xbox originals. I would even pay a few bucks more a month than we do now so that these DLC could be free. What I really dont like is that we have to pay for DLC. For example, Halo 3, multiplayer heroic maps should be free. We already pay for XBL, and I'm sure they make more than enough from that. Or at least, have us pay a one time fee to access all arcade games. That would be ok with me.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I'm probably alone in this sentiment but I simply can't make myself spend $50 on Live. It's not the money but it's more the principle of the thing. I don't know, I suppose it has a lot to do with my coming from a predominantly PC gaming background where everything (well, most everything) Live offers was free. It doesn't help matters that the PS3 and Wii have free online gaming either. I guess I simply have a hard time paying for a service that I've received at no cost for most of my gaming life.

I'm also not a fan of paying for extra levels and whatnot. Again, this is all stuff that PC gamers have been receiving at no extra cost for many years. So, even if Live was free, I doubt I would pay money for any of the extra Marketplace "content" anyway.

Avatar image for insomniac_loser
insomniac_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 insomniac_loser
Member since 2005 • 168 Posts
If we didnt have to pay for live we would have some horrible online service like PSN, and no i wouldnt buy more 50 bucks a year really doesnt empty any pockets either.
Nauty26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Nauty26
Member since 2002 • 734 Posts

Me personally I would not buy more stuff from live. The 50 fee is not a deterent at all for me. I buy what i want to play whenever. it took me all of maybe 3 mins after playing the REz demo to buy it.

if you are working with a budget that is greatly effected by the 50 dollar once a yr fee than maybe u should just have the silver acct and have friends over. I love my games but i am not gonna go broke over them

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
GBP40 a year is ok. But why the lag, use that money and invest in dedicated servers, if you need proof just look at Front Lines Fuel Of War. 32 players on one map and NO lag.
DopeyDavoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DopeyDavoid
Member since 2004 • 5375 Posts

After my year runs out I am not going to renew. I found a secret site that allows me to have infinite 48 Hour Trials.

I have like 70 or so on a word file. So it's safe to say I know what I'm doing.

As far as purchasing more stuff off of Marketplace....

Marketplace sucks. I'm not going to pay for ****ing gamerpics or themes. That is just STUPID.

Halo 3 maps for $10? **** that!!! Those maps are garbage.

:P

FearTheRain

Secret?! You think that twisted site is secret?! I'm pretty sure anyone on the internet knows about that site by now. I really have no idea why microsoft isn't doing anything. Hell, I was even selling some of them codes on ebay because i had so much.

FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FearTheRain

Secret?! You think that twisted site is secret?! I'm pretty sure anyone on the internet knows about that site by now. I really have no idea why microsoft isn't doing anything. Hell, I was even selling some of them codes on ebay because i had so much. DopeyDavoid

SHHHHH

shut up!! lol

Don't tell everyone. :D

Keep this between us and the other 40,000+ people that know about it. :P

I knew about people selling it on Ebay, but I thought it was a legit promotion, so I see no reason why Microsoft should shut it down...

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#20 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

FearTheRain

Pay for a better internet connection, its not live dude...Its you.

FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FearTheRain
[QUOTE="FearTheRain"]

cosmostein77

I have a T1

So, No it's not me.

Think before you speak.

jasonlc3221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#22 jasonlc3221
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts
I rent movies all the time off of XBL. It's cheaper than the going to Blockbuster, especially if I add in the gas money it takes to get there. Plus, I've bought 2 XBL Arcade games so far, and I've only had the 360 for 2 months. I'm probably going to buy Rez HD and Streets of Rage very soon, plus there are a few others I'll probably get. So regardless if I have to pay the $50 a year or not, I'm still going to buy a lot of the Marketplace stuff.
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#23 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts
[QUOTE="cosmostein77"][QUOTE="FearTheRain"]

FearTheRain

I have a T1

So, No it's not me.

Think before you speak.

I am suprised you didn't go as far as saying that you have a T3 server in your living room...

Its amazing that as a Live user I have never experience any sort of connection issue aside from the Christmas overload, on the original Xbox or 360, yet I come onto these online forums and everyone seems to have T3 connections and 70" plasma's and have "teh lag"

FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FearTheRain

I am suprised you didn't go as far as saying that you have a T3 server in your living room...

Its amazing that as a Live user I have never experience any sort of connection issue aside from the Christmas overload, on the original Xbox or 360, yet I come onto these online forums and everyone seems to have T3 connections and 70" plasma's and have "teh lag"

..cosmostein77

I never even said I had a T3. Can you not read ENGLISH? Did you not go to school as a child? I said I have a T1

jasonlc3221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#25 jasonlc3221
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts
[QUOTE="FearTheRain"][QUOTE="cosmostein77"][QUOTE="FearTheRain"]

cosmostein77

I have a T1

So, No it's not me.

Think before you speak.

I have to agree with you. Anytime someone complains about anything having lag, they magically have a the best, like a T-1000 server (liquid metal, of course).

I actually have just a regular router and had two 360's hooked up to it at once, my friend brought his over, we set up my 32" flat panel TV next to the big screen and we both played COD4 online at the same time, no lag what-so-ever, and I just have regular cable internet.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="cosmostein77"][QUOTE="FearTheRain"][QUOTE="cosmostein77"][QUOTE="FearTheRain"]

jasonlc3221

I have a T1

So, No it's not me.

Think before you speak.

I have to agree with you. Anytime someone complains about anything having lag, they magically have a the best, like a T-1000 server (liquid metal, of course).

I actually have just a regular router and had two 360's hooked up to it at once, my friend brought his over, we set up my 32" flat panel TV next to the big screen and we both played COD4 online at the same time, no lag what-so-ever, and I just have regular cable internet.

The only time i get lag is when i try and connect to a US host and ive had a 5mb ADSL connection.

monkeyidol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 monkeyidol
Member since 2004 • 55 Posts
the reason why they make so many arcade games and xbl content is because ppl pay for xbox live, its an xtra income for microsoft, think how crappy arcade games would be, or even microsoft produced games, or even how long it would take for them to make a game. its like taxpayer money but for microsoft. take away the tax money and the little orphanages would be shut down.
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
I don't mind paying for game expansions or maps. That's extra time devs put in after a game is released. Why shouldn't they get compensated for that? Are maps a little pricey. A bit. But I agree, I don't like the gamer pics and themes that you have to pay for. It would be cool if game's came packaged with their own themes and gamerpics. Halo 3 Limited and Legendary Editions came with a theme and some gamerpics that you could upload from the extra disc. This should be something standard on all games. Buy a $60 game, throw a couple of pics in there. What could it hurt? But of course this wouldn't become a standard because then who would buy the gamerpics off of Live???
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts

cosmostein77

I have a T1

So, No it's not me.

Think before you speak.

haha... seriously dude, great post.

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
Probably not, since Microsoft points..still cost money
Jshaw71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 Jshaw71
Member since 2003 • 1972 Posts
i would still pay for content if the service was free, through i have not payed for gold service...
RedMasterDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RedMasterDX
Member since 2006 • 717 Posts

I wouldnt get more market place content if XBL was free, just stay with downloading the usual demos. XBL becoming free will never happen anyway. The main reason why PC mods, extra content, voice chat, etc. is free is because most of the time those free programs were created by gamers or programmers themselves and share it, which is the exact opposite when it comes to industries.

I dont mind paying the fee for XBL, but I wish that I could do more with it besides purchasing movie rentals and themes. Maybe I want to create my own maps and share them, or make my own custom gamer picture.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
if Live was free, I'd buy more stuff, I'd have more money to blow
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
this is what i though i though you know if microsoft added wifi and free online i bet people would buy more content on marketplace but i dunno maybe we pay for them to have the ability to make good arcade games
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

cosmostein77

I have a T1

So, No it's not me.

Think before you speak.

me neither ive almost never had much lag at all i havent experience a lag for months and i have average connection not bad not good but average
Don0van

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Don0van
Member since 2006 • 929 Posts
its not like it cost alot anyway so im not really complaining if its free or not id like more if its free but oh well but like come on gamer pics and themes cost money thats pretty dumband when u can get a vision camra and have anyhting in the world as ur gamerpic for free and u can put pics from ur comp as ur background soo u can have anything for free but they still charge you thats pretty dumb
Don0van

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Don0van
Member since 2006 • 929 Posts
[QUOTE="cosmostein77"][QUOTE="FearTheRain"][QUOTE="cosmostein77"][QUOTE="FearTheRain"]

dkdk999

I have a T1

So, No it's not me.

Think before you speak.

me neither ive almost never had much lag at all i havent experience a lag for months and i have average connection not bad not good but average

yea never have bad lag ever haha only time you can ever have lag is when ur connections horrible or if u go in like a game with a bunch of people with bad connections its not like at all and if u have a t1 connectin and its lagging then ur geting ripoffed soo stop complaining

DonMega187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DonMega187
Member since 2007 • 1103 Posts

i'd like that. it's also rediculous that you have to pay for themes and gamerpics. i understand arcade games and all, but i just want my gamerpics. bulletsword

Think of who your talking about here M$!!!

DopeyDavoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DopeyDavoid
Member since 2004 • 5375 Posts
[QUOTE="dkdk999"][QUOTE="cosmostein77"][QUOTE="FearTheRain"][QUOTE="cosmostein77"][QUOTE="FearTheRain"]

Don0van

I have a T1

So, No it's not me.

Think before you speak.

yea never have bad lag ever haha only time you can ever have lag is when ur connections horrible or if u go in like a game with a bunch of people with bad connections its not like at all and if u have a t1 connectin and its lagging then ur geting ripoffed soo stop complaining

The majority of lag has NOTHING to do with internet speed..... Why do people always blame the internet connection? It makes no sense.

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts

i'd like that. it's also rediculous that you have to pay for themes and gamerpics. i understand arcade games and all, but i just want my gamerpics. bulletsword

Not all gamerpics.

Luckily I like some of the Orig Xbox games, and those gamerpics are free. :P